Jost1

I can't believe it's not John Williams! (the best imitators)

2 hours ago, Pando said:

I think Thomas Bergersen comes pretty close. His music is always an inspiration.

This track might have come straight from the latest star wars and no one would have noticed that it's not JW.

This is a MIDI mockup he did more than 10 years ago to showcase his private library.

Anyone know what instrument library he's using?

EDIT: Nevermind. He uses 2 custom/private libraries mixed with VSL.

4 hours ago, Fabulin said:

So... this composer actually invented Williams' Star Wars sequel sound before Williams himself did it?

More like inspired by the prequel sound. I just looked up, it was done in July 2006, so after RotS came out. There was even a MIDI file of this floating around, the first 25 seconds of it. I may even have it stashed away in a hard drive somewhere.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

This cue is also pretty Sequel-esque, with a bit of Indiana Jones thrown in:

Such a great moment.

this Desplat cue from Rise of the Guardians sounds like Williams. The opening notes intro  remind me of a Williams cue I can't quite place  and it's bugging me

Try Mike Batt's score to 'The Dreamstone'. It's not a deliberate or obvious imitation of John Williams, rather it's an alternative prime example of memorable, richly thematic, Romantically orchestrated television scoring - which are the same characteristics I so admire about JW's best works.   

Randol Bass definitely gets on this list. He has some corny stuff for educational ensembles, but his Gloria written in 1990 actually predates Call of the Champions by quite a bit despite sounding really similar. Can't find a good recording of his night before christmas, but it has elements of that childlike orchestration from ET, BFG, and Home Alone etc.

Don't forget Sam Cardon.

One of my favorite works in this category is Kevin Kaska's concert work "The Wizard of Menlo Park."  The finale is especially Williams-esque.

I don't count McNealy and Debney as Williams imitators as their entire career is based on imitating other composers e.g. Horner

For a good one off try Rosenthal and CLASH OF THE TITANS( SW)

or SKY CAPTAIN which is a RAIDERS knockoff.

JG did a good JW in KING SOLOMON'S MINES

Conrad wrote a delightful score for chamber orchestra for the documentary Tim's Vermeer a few years ago. The main theme is Desplat-esque (it was likely temped with Girl with a Pearl Earring), but there is a lot to enjoy: