An incredible movie was released today

True story: Tomorrow Never Dies opened on the same day, and I saw TND that Friday night.  I saw Titanic later that weekend.

I had already both OST albums on CD a month before, purchased in a brick and mortar store called Media Play in Worcester, MA.

We had a Media Play!  Spent every paycheck there while I was in high school.

We saw Titanic on opening weekend, probably a sold out or near sold out crowd, and I remember the projector stopping towards the climax of the movie and the lights coming up (while they were in the water).  Pretty rowdy until the thing started up again.  Haven't seen it since - should give it another go sometime.

Jay - TND remains the first and only movie I've ever seen on Christmas day!

Media Play was where I bought the OSTs of Stargate, Independence Day, TND, The Lost World, Men In Black, and many others including the Star Wars Special Edition 2CD sets

It's also where I bought a lot of letterboxed movies on VHS, before DVDs came out

1 hour ago, Jay said:

True story: Tomorrow Never Dies opened on the same day, and I saw TND that Friday night.  I saw Titanic later that weekend.

Thanks for that, Jay.

Another true story: I also first heard the TITANIC OST before Christmas 1997. It took me one listen to realise that it would win Best Original Score, and Best Original Song, and I said so at a party that I went to, later that night.

When I saw TITANIC, on its UK release at the end of January, 1998, I knew it would win a mountain of Oscars. There wasn't anything that year that could rival it. I still like it.

I remember it was supposed to come out in the summer. The first image I ever saw was in a magazine promoting the summer release with Jack and Rose in a submerged room at the bottom of the stairway. I knew it would be the coolest movie since Batman.

Yea I also remember the original summer release date, and reading that the reason Cameron pushed it back was to add CGI breath coming out of their mouths due to the cold weather.

IIRC, it was originally going to open around July 4th, so would have conflicted with Men In Black, and I would have to choose which to see.  Then it got pushed back, and I was like phew, no conflict, until i realized it was now opening opposite Tomorrow Never Dies.

And, IIRC, Titanic wasn't even #1 at the box office when it opened, Tomorrow Never Dies won.  But then eventually Titanic took over, and it was amazing to watch it stay at the top of the charges will into March

32 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I remember it was supposed to come out in the summer. The first image I ever saw was in a magazine promoting the summer release with Jack and Rose in a submerged room at the bottom of the stairway. I knew it would be the coolest movie since Batman.

It was projected to be a bomb. 

That projection was wrong

I saw it many times. 

Few films live up to the term spectacal. 

It was, it really was. Probably my favorite best picture winner ever.

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

And, IIRC, Titanic wasn't even #1 at the box office when it opened, Tomorrow Never Dies won.  But then eventually Titanic took over, and it was amazing to watch it stay at the top of the charges will into March

FTR Jay, who is usually right, is incorrect. 

Titanic was #1 taking in 28+ million dollars that 1st week. TND, a forgettable film in all ways, made 25+ million at the Box office that same week.

Titanic hold the record for most weeks at #1, with one exception. Titanic was #1 for 15 weeks while a much smaller film was #1 for 16 weeks, E.T. the Extra-terrestrial and his Adventure on Earth.

Ah, Titanic.

Superb film, by one of the great filmmakers. Cameron’s confidence to revel in sequences like the Titanic setting out will never not be joyous to behold, and that ending...*sniff*

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I remember the first time I became aware of the existence of this movie was from this teaser poster...

titanic_ver1_xlg.jpg

...and I knew it was going to be something special. the tagline, the block letters on "Titanic," the endless rivets, the framing of the poster that showed you that you were looking at only a tiny part of massive whole... all of it magical. And, like others here said, the film fully lived up to its promise.