Battle of Knock Off Evil™ Star Wars Themes: Anthem of Evil vs. Imperial Suite

BLUMENKOHL

Anthem of Evil vs. Imperial Suite  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Anthem of Evil vs. Imperial Suite

• Anthem of Evil (Williams)
    • Imperial Suite (Giacchino)

Clearly John Williams wanted to show Giacchino how you write a knock-off evil theme, aka NOT the Imperial March. Which one is you favorite knock-off Star Wars bad-guy theme track?

Anthem of Evil is a far more interesting track on the OST than the Imperial Suite. The latter is a pure Imperial March knock-off whereas the former starts is quite different with a moody choir, swirling strings, and a rising, building sensation. To me, Anthem of Evil doesn't even attempt to mimic the Imperial March in terms of how it is presented in the OST aside from the final moments of the Finale rendition that leads directly into the Imperial March. Gia's Imperial Suite is full on parody.

Obviously a stupid question (that I dignified with a response).  Anthem is not even in the ballpark of a being a knock off of the IM.  I suppose one could say it is a knock off of the Emperor's theme, but that would still be dumb.  It is a very nice development of the latter, and I like the it has no march qualities.  It may not have the militaristic menace of the IM, but it has the unsettling dark qualities of actual evil.  

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

Obviously a stupid question (that I dignified with a response).  Anthem is not even in the ballpark of a being a knock off of the IM.  I suppose one could say it is a knock off of the Emperor's theme, but that would still be dumb.  It is a very nice development of the latter, and I like the it has no march qualities.  It may not have the militaristic menace of the IM, but it has the unsettling dark qualities of actual evil.  

They are both an unnecessary expansion of the repertoire of evil themes in Star Wars. Now get out of my thread and take your vote with you! 

Speaking as someone who enjoys Giacchino a lot, he has not written a single motif as good as any Williams (or Barry) motif, including the pretty decent Imperial motif from Rogue One.

I still think most Gia’s best-crafted themes are from his MOH days. I adore stuff like the Allied Assault theme or Fjords of Norway. I quite liked Jyn’s theme, too, though. The Imperial Suite and the Hope theme make me cringe.

I wouldn't classify either as a knock-off theme or unnecessary. I think they're both alright and don't mind listening to either - I like how well both of Giacchino's cues compliment each other with the march leading into Krennic's theme (in the Imperial Suite). Anthem of Evil feels like a cousin of the Emperor's theme and definitely not redundant, after all TRoS deals with it's the darkness of Rey, Kylo and Palpatine - another 'trio theme' ha!

17 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The topic just invites the already overwhelming negativity towards Giacchino that's on JWFan.

It does, yes. But I actually restrained myself and just clicked on the poll without making any comment. Untill now, that is (although not about MG).

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Remember: Blumenkohl once demanded that Williams step aside for Giacchino on the new Star Wars trilogy.

He should have. But that has nothing to do with writing good music. He also betrayed George Lucas in the process. No honor! 

I don’t know how you sleazy pursed-lip Londoners behave, but in America we take loyalty to our friends seriously.

22 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

I am adding you to the ignore list with Hornist. Sorry, nothing personal, I just block idiots with strange obsessions! 

I blocked him a while ago. I assume he still had me blocked too.

Apparently its impossible to disagree in this day and age without it having consequences l.

Pity....

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

The Anthony Daniels Video march!

Oh no! I totally forgot!

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I blocked him a while ago. I assume he still had me blocked too.

Apparently its impossible to disagree in this day and age without it having consequences l.

Pity....

I used to take great pride in not blocking. But now I realize it does wonders for enjoying the forum

again!

If anything this was an opportunity to listen to the Imperial suite which I haven't done in years. I remember quite liking Rogue One's score when it came out, and finding the imperial themes quite catchy and enjoyable to listen to, particularly Krennic's theme.

However, what I was not expecting was to hear how clumsy everything feels in the Imperial suite. I still enjoy the themes but the development is repetitive and all very mundane. Not to mention the sound of the recording and instrumentation feels like a big fish bowl has been placed around it. Contrast that with 'Anthem of Evil' and I get this very unsettling yet also muscular tour de force of trademark Star Wars evil, with fascinating variations and an overall more dynamic feel. Not to mention the recording quality skyrockets, the brass is incredibly clear and strong, and the other elements are all very well balanced in the mix.

So even though I enjoy both, it's absolutely no contest.