Do you understand Star Wars?

Bespin

Do you understand Star Wars?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you understand Star Wars?

There is no Skywalker Saga, as such.

There’s a six-film series (plus a few spinoffs) that tells of a struggle between the two sides of The Force, with two members of the Skywalker family, Anakin and Luke, thrust into its midst. It’s haphazard in its overall storytelling and in quite a few of its entries (particularly those relating to Anakin), but it’s still an enjoyable and, on-the-whole, cohesive film series.

Then there are three more films just ‘cause.

Would we be better off without the new reinvigorated trilogy or with it. As much as they've pissed people off, there's more good that has come from it than not. More Williams for one, more of the things I love such as the characters, the world, the ships and lightsabers. I think the Skywalker saga has been made more wholesome and well rounded.

I don't even think the people who make Star Wars really understand Star Wars.

The potential of this universe is, boundless.

But the results, more often than not... sketchy.

The Mandelorian seems to be a quality show though. I'm glad.

31 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I don't even think the people who make Star Wars really understand Star Wars.

The potential of this universe is, boundless.

But the results, more often than not... sketchy.

The Mandelorian seems to be a quality show though. I'm glad.

Well, they can't ever stray too far out of the nostalgia-grabbing zone because then people complain - stay too close and people complain still. So it's just stuck in this position of being marketed one way that tries to please everyone. I ageee with James Cameron that at least the Prequels were more imaginative even if they had some lacklustre storytelling.

The Mandalorian is good, but so far it's riding on the iconography of Star Wars without doing it's own thing. I really think they, Disney, whoever's making future films has to take greater risks in shifting the status quo of Star Wars into a more expansive universe.

I meant creating something new instead of slavishly building the new trilogy around prior locations, characters and story arcs. With a thousand galaxies, who's stopping you? It may not have been an instant hit but it might have had longer legs.

Perhaps, but it would have been too daring back then, when you ressurect the films after a decade's absence. Taking the universe in a different direction was only possible AFTER the "fan service" of TFA (love that film, btw).

It's a timid way of thinking, and you could have achieved the fan service by much subtler means that taking plotlines wholesale out of the older movies. But yes, Hollywood is not what it used to be in the 70's, so guys like J.J. are their best hope.

TFA was fan service but also I might argue a pretty big subversion - it created a solo female jedi lead action star hero of the perhaps the biggest franchise in the world - in a rather unprecedented way. I can't recall another successful franchise that suddenly had a female lead. I think that was a big achievement.

15 minutes ago, publicist said:

I meant creating something new instead of slavishly building the new trilogy around prior locations, characters and story arcs. With a thousand galaxies, who's stopping you? It may not have been an instant hit but it might have had longer legs.

TFA was a 300 million dollar movie and the first of a franchise restart that cost Disney billions to obtain.

Better not take any silly risks!

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I'm not defending it. I actually agree with you.

I'm explaining it.

I well understand all that, but in this weird scenario they tried to have it both ways, and now they are in a kind of mess. Better to do it at once instead of now having so many people ask themselves what they were fooled into.

25 minutes ago, Thor said:

Perhaps, but it would have been too daring back then, when you ressurect the films after a decade's absence. Taking the universe in a different direction was only possible AFTER the "fan service" of TFA (love that film, btw).

As long as any spinoff trilogy contains at least one death star, I'm good.

44 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's a timid way of thinking, and you could have achieved the fan service by much subtler means that taking plotlines wholesale out of the older movies. But yes, Hollywood is not what it used to be in the 70's, so guys like J.J. are their best hope.

Oh, I definitely agree with you in principle, but I was talking more in terms of pragmatics. They went the 'safe route' with J.J. first, before the tried something different with Rian Johnson. Anything else would have been too big a risk for the money machine that is Disney. Unfortunate in principle (would have loved something more daring), but ultimately I think they managed the balance perfectly in TFA, while not quite managing the balance in TROS.

40 minutes ago, publicist said:

I well understand all that, but in this weird scenario they tried to have it both ways, and now they are in a kind of mess. Better to do it at once instead of now having so many people ask themselves what they were fooled into.

Well, mess? Save for Solo, all the films they released made a ton of money. And now Star Wars is gonna be on TV for a while and will probably do very well there too. Which gives Lucasfilm time to sort out what they wanna do next movie wise.

Star Wars isn't nearly in such a bad shape as fan hysteria would let us to believe.

But its just mainstream entertainment.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Well, mess? Save for Solo, all the films they released made a ton of money. And now Star Wars is gonna be on TV for a while and will probably do very well there too. Which gives Lucasfilm time to sort out what they wanna do next movie wise.

Star Wars isn't nearly in such a bad shape as fan hysteria would let us to believe.

But its just mainstream entertainment.

Yes, mess. Money is not the issue, they are bound to make shitloads of money, regardless of people *liking* them. But with the uneven tone, the zigzag between uninspired J.J. and bonkers Rian (and reverse), it's a mess after three movies, at least if you expect a *saga* to have even some consistency.

It's not really important (i don't even plan to see the third one), but we are in dire need of a good new fantasy saga for a change.

12 minutes ago, publicist said:

Yes, mess. Money is not the issue, they are bound to make shitloads of money, regardless of people *liking* them. But with the uneven tone, the zigzag between uninspired J.J. and bonkers Rian (and reverse), it's a mess after three movies, at least if you expect a *saga* to have even some consistency.

It's not really important (i don't even plan to see the third one), but we are in dire need of a good new fantasy saga for a change.

Dune? Which in its original form is quite repugnant, morally i believe. 

Why do we need fantasy though? Why not deal with reality in this post-truth Trumpian Hellworld!

3 hours ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

Why was Luke so depressed in TLJ? Is there even a story in TROS? The Emperor’s back? Palpatine fucks???????????????????????

We actually don't know that. There are theories to suggest that Palpatine is Anakin's father, due to his 'tinkering' with midichlorians that he learned from his own master, Plagueis, before he killed him. So his son could very well be a 'lab child' of sorts.

"To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together...." - Palpatine to Anakin in ROTS

Theories coming from the comic, suggest only, I think, that Palpatine may have tried very hard to turn a foetus to the dark side inside the womb of Shmi... but that's all. :P

Did Palpatine Create Anakin Skywalker? | Comicnewbies

Palpatine is not the father.  Wookiepedia suggest that it might be Plagueis, but that the "creation" of Anakin might also been totally unintentional... I guess we'll never know!

Read by yourself, this passage from Wookiepedia:

During the Naboo crisis of 32 BBY, Plagueis and Palpatine became aware of the powerfully Force-sensitive Anakin Skywalker, a Human slaveboy from Tatooine who stood at a vergence in the Force and who had been born around the same time that they had saturated the galaxy with the dark side a decade earlier. Plagueis became convinced that the midi-chlorians, unwilling to comply to his and Sidious's "unnatural" usurpation of the power of the Force, had struck back in retaliation, conceiving a savior to ultimately destroy the Sith: the prophesied Chosen One,[1] whom Plagueis had blasphemously endeavored to create, or "father," in the past.[11]

One thing is sure, the Skywalker bloodline is the Skywalker bloodline, and the Palpatine bloodline is the Palpatine bloodline.