Do you understand Star Wars?

Bespin

Do you understand Star Wars?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you understand Star Wars?

Star Wars is very clear.  At it's core, it is about fear.  Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.  Suffering leads to care.  Care leads to love.  Love leads to sacrifice.  Sacrifice leads to pain.  Pain leads to fear.

image.png

I finally watched the movie, and YES, that's MY Star Wars. I understand it.

That's not a perfect movie... the two first movies were kind of lazy about the details, especially TLJ... but finally Lucas's vision came to the rescue to save the whole Saga.

Kathleen Kennedy had many problems to take the helm of Lucasfilm after the departure of Lucas, it showed in this trilogy, but still... it ends in beauty.

Thanks to John Williams and JJ Baby.

On 12/22/2019 at 11:54 AM, A Ghost From Highwood said:

Palpatine fucks???????????????????????

Just a stab in the dark, but is this by any chance a major spoiler in relation to character parentage? Because if it is, you should be perma banned from JWFan.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I finally watched the movie, and YES, that's MY Star Wars. I understand it.

You understood it after reading a week’s worth of articles, reviews and recaps before finally seeing the film yourself.

That’s not how films are supposed to work.

I never said Star Wars are good movies!!! But it’s a good story. At the end Lucas won on all the line and Kathleen Kennedy should retire ASAP.

On 12/23/2019 at 3:38 PM, karelm said:

Star Wars is very clear.  At it's core, it is about fear.  Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.  Suffering leads to care.  Care leads to love.  Love leads to sacrifice.  Sacrifice leads to pain.  Pain leads to fear.

image.png

Anybody else feels that Yoda should have sported a mustache in the prequels?

• 4 years later...

I know it's fun to dog on Yoda's line, but it is the thesis for the whole series. Fear is the root of all abuse. That's it.

Like most truly profound things, it's simple without being simplistic. 

2 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

I know it's fun to dog on Yoda's line, but it is the thesis for the whole series. Fear is the root of all abuse. That's it.

I personally think this is absolutely, postively the failing of Lucas' depiction of the Jedi in these films: this abnegatory, 1970s pseudo-Buddhist stuff is very unsympathetic to most western audiences: because no, in our weltanschauung fear is not some moral failing - more often than not, its something that keeps us alive!

Same with the Jedi's Castaneda-esque ban on love.

Star Wars peaked for me with Luke in ROTJ when he says "let's go, and don't forget the droids."

a throwaway line?  absolutely not.  it showed how aware he was of his surrounding. and to care for those that are in need.  it's a hint that he is now a Master Jedi.  Everything else he does in the death star in ROTJ is just gravy.

10 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I personally think this is absolutely, postively the failing of Lucas' depiction of the Jedi in these films: this abnegatory, 1970s pseudo-Buddhist stuff is very unsympathetic to most western audiences: because no, in our weltanschauung fear is not some moral failing - more often than not, its something that keeps us alive!

Same with the Jedi's Castaneda-esque ban on love.

image.gif

The Jedi don’t ban love or any other emotion, but this is a common misconception by people who conflate attachment with love, and who don’t understand the Buddhist meaning of attachment.

There are many, many types of fear, and yes, while a few of them can be helpful, there are many more that are destructive, and hurtful to ourselves and others. This isn’t new age, this is a central element of every major religion on the planet. 

And for what it’s worth, I taught an extremely successful program working with domestic violence perpetrators, the central tenet of which was understanding the same exact destructive fears that Yoda is talking about. I could have taught it using Star Wars. Anakin is textbook.

It’s only nonsense if our understanding of fear is limited, the way Berg is nonsense, but being absolute in our ignorance is easy and fun, and asks nothing of us.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

No thanks! :lol:

Good answer.

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Thread title has a chillingly Mattris-y quality to it, lol. 

I would put a "laugh" emoticon there, except that your post is too true to be taken in jest.

3 hours ago, Andy said:

I understand it… from a certain point of view. 

We need a double emoji system. I need to stare at you blankly while indicating that this is hilarious.