What’s next for JW?

Alex

Well, JW has completed the Star Wars Saga, arguably the greatest legacy he will leave. Where does he go from here? Obviously he’ll keep writing music, but will we ever hear another score from the Maestro again? I imagine Indy 5 will be the next potential score (if that film ever gets made). What do you guys think?

It's amazing that Indy 5 hasn't been delayed yet. Spielberg must be confident he can make the release date, even though the film seems stuck in development hell. Supposedly Pinewood is booked for May onwards but Koepp being brought back onboard fills me with dread. 

But yes, Indy 5. If Williams is still healthy and able this time next year, he should be deep into writing within 12 months. It would be a fitting encore to the final act of Star Wars to also close off his collaboration with Spielberg 40 years after scoring the original Raiders. It's too romantic to resist! 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Indiana Jones 5, coming July 9, 2021 from Walt Disney Pictures

https://ew.com/movies/2019/05/07/indiana-jones-5-2021/

I'm hoping DisneyConcerts will put out, at least, one Indy LTP concert sometime in 2020.  What other orchestras in this world have yet to do the Raiders LTP since it premiered in January of 2016?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Great, the next dumpster fire. 

In this stage of his career and life, Williams clearly excels more at dramas and whimsical Spielberg movies, that require more quality than quantity. And I'd rather have Williams do more quality, than spread himself thin in movies that expect him to recapture the vigor of 35 years ago in 2-3 hours of music, that will eventually get edited to fuck anyway. 

Disney will do the same to Indy as it did to Star Wars. Cut off the balls and put them in a handbag. 

What's next? He's going to keep composing film scores, forever... and phenomenal movies are going to keep coming out till the end of time.

That is through the power of stem cell research and cloning, John Williams's best score will be produced in the year 2085.

17 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Disney will do the same to Indy as it did to Star Wars. Cut off the balls and put them in a handbag. 

Spielberg already did that ten years ago, in the toothless Indy 4.

I really really wish his assistant would accidentally make his schedule publicly available on Google docs. Would give anything to know how his next few months and beyond are mapped out. Certainly that rumor posted earlier this year that he would "retire completely" in the new year was bullocks. Not that that's news.

Indy 5 or no Indy 5, I'm just always excited for new music.

I probably wouldn't care about an Indy 5 either way.

We heard what Old JW has to say on the franchise last decade, and if Skull's anything to go by, I'd much rather have him rest or work on a new concert work or whatever than wasting time on an Indy 5.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

More like 77 in 'physical age' if judging by his appearances lately.

I wonder if JW does botox and stuff like that, considering he's living in Hollywood.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

He'll be like Mozart, composing on his death bed and relating his notes to some Salieri (William Ross?).

Then someone will make a film about it. It will be named 'Towner'.

Indiana Jones 5 is never happening, at least not with Spielberg, Ford, or Williams. 

Williams might keep scoring Spielberg's stuff for a while, but I kind of wonder if even that is going to happen.  So my suspicion is that we get one, maybe two more scores, a handful of concert pieces, and nothing much else.

Naturally, I hope for a dozen more scores, three handfuls of concert pieces, and an autobiography.  That'd be cool.

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What's next, for JW?

He's going to go home, and cook some ètouffèe ;)

That sounds delicious. A good étouffee is the best thing on earth. (I actually kinda wonder if JW cooks at home.)

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Personally I’m hoping for a Book Thief kind of surprise. Just minding my own business mid-2020 and suddenly I see a tweet saying “John Williams at Sony recording score for ______ , directed by _____”.

It's crazy too, because that should have won best score that year!!

20 hours ago, Jay said:

Highly doubtful. 

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What's next, for JW?

He's going to go home, and cook some ètouffèe ;)

HAHA, I just watched JFK (for the first time, sorry!) Saturday night, really good film, not too much JW score heard in the film though. :(

22 hours ago, Alex said:

What's next for JW?

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:44 PM, mstrox said:

i know star wars fans everywhere, john Williams fans everywhere, have been waiting.  the countdown clock has been ticking.  and its true - the wait is almost over.  that's right - six months until hoagiefest at wawa!!!!

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Then someone will make a film about it. It will be named 'Towner'.

It will be named Städter. Mozart's actual name was Theophilius.