What’s next for JW?

Alex

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes. I was referring just to his self(?)-translated Amadé bit.

Are you sure it wasn't Chrysostomus that got "translated", and then the order rearranged? ;)

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

On second thought, Amarbor might also be a fitting name.

Please explain.

39 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you sure it wasn't Chrysostomus that got "translated", and then the order rearranged? ;)

Theophilius = god lover = Amadeus/Amadé.

39 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Please explain.

Arbor, arboris. Tree. Cf. dendrophile.

I wonder if, in the years to come, he might continue revisiting some of his concert suites and update them? The updated HS&TP was such a breath of fresh air.

Imagine if some other themes got the same treatment? For example, a more resolved arrangement of Rey's Theme to reflect the conclusion of her story? 

It's an interesting question. I once thought he might write a suite of new themes for, say, a trilogy of new films just to establish the characters. 

But now I'm more inclined to think he'd just wipe his hands of it, for fear of other composers (cough) butchering his themes. 

The fastest way to kill a man as talented and committed to his craft as JW is to prevent him from working at his craft. Nothing short of a sudden injury or acute condition (God forbid) would keep JW from being done with music. I expect we will see new or substantially revised material from him over the next several years or more.

Ideally he’d be doing all kinds of interesting movies but he’s either not taking those or not being asked. 

The thing about the sequels is it’s usually an opportunity for a lot of music in a lot of moods and styles in one go. So I like em as a bit of a Johnny smorgasbord, especially lacking anything else. If they’re a bit rote and redundant at times, that’s ok.

17 hours ago, rough cut said:

Do you think JW will come back to the Star Wars universe to write separate themes for coming spin offs, á la Solo or Galaxy’s Edge, or is he completely done with Star Wars?

No, I think he is done with new projects.  I could see him reworking some pieces a la Han Solo and the Princess. 

If he's done with feature length films, that's okay. My wish is for him to do smaller projects like Kobe Bryant's "Dear Basketball". Or write a main theme for film/TV/event like "Galaxy's Edge". Keeps him in the game, but not completely out.

Will he be writing another Violin piece for Anne-Sophie Mutter? I mean it’s Christmas and he’s going to receive more cookies from her. :)

I don’t mind if he skips his percussion concerto for 

T h e B i g V i o l i n C o n c e r t o

:flameblob::cheer::love2::nopity:

The first one must mean so much to him and now he’s at least 40 years older and he’s free from Star Wars! I’m just so happy for JW, he’s finally free from SW.

There seems to be some comments insinuating that JW will retire from film music entirely...

I don’t think JW is done scoring movies, just that he doesn’t mean to score anymore SW-movies.

There’ll be new scores, new arrangements of old stuff, concert pieces...

• 3 weeks later...

Some movie that really inspires him...I think the last time he was really inspired by his subject was during scoring of HP1...or maybe Book Thief according to popular belief.

On 12/22/2019 at 4:10 PM, Jay said:

Indiana Jones 5, coming July 9, 2021 from Walt Disney Pictures

https://ew.com/movies/2019/05/07/indiana-jones-5-2021/

Not likely.

I expect retirement 

I would love it if he turned to new concert works. Would be kinda cool if he wrote something mind-boggling and undecipherable on his deathbed (which is hopefully far, far in the future), analogous to what Beethoven did with his Große Fuge, and then, in a century or so, some sort of Stravinsky-like person would declare that that work was very much ahead of its time, and is an ageless masterpiece.

I just hope he scores a non-Indiana Jones/Spielberg movie.

Just a little film - preferrably of a contemporary setting - out of nowhere, with a chamber orchestra.

Another dream of mine would be if he scored Malick's upcoming Christ movie. Imagine the music possibilities of that one...!

Just now, filmmusic said:

Just a little film - preferrably of a contemporary setting - out of nowhere, with a chamber orchestra.

Perhaps one of Georgie's art films. ;)

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

Another dream of mine would be if he scored Malick's upcoming Christ movie. Imagine the music possibilities of that one...!

Geez, hasn't his scores been butchered enough lately?

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Geez, hasn't his scores been butchered enough lately?

well, his score would be that good, that Malick would leave it intact. :)

After all Zimmer's score was almost intact in The Thin Red Line.

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I just hope he scores a non-Indiana Jones/Spielberg movie.

Wow, what was the last time he wrote a score for a film that took place in the present day? War of the Worlds?

6 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Wow, what was the last time he wrote a score for a film that took place in the present day? War of the Worlds?

Wow yeah, you really don't ever think about that!  The Terminal as well!

What’s next for JW? Revising, then conducting and recording, his symphony. Actually, he can skip that first part.

And then writing a piano concerto. It’s like the only instrument left he hasn’t written a concerto for.