Jurassic Shark

Merry Christmas to all of you from all of me (The Christmas Food Thread)

If you'll excuse me, now I'll have to go and eat porridge for lunch. Later today I'll eat a sheep for dinner. That's right, we celebrate on the 24th over here. :santa:

What do you eat for Christmas?

Baby Jesus Day!

Homemade burger with cheeses, purple onion jam, greens and a crispy patty - plus chestnut tiramisu.

Will be the same for dinner.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Baby Jesus Day!

Homemade burger with cheeses, purple onion jam, greens and a crispy patty - plus chestnut tiramisu.

Will be the same for dinner.

Interesting! Is this traditional Christmas food where you live?

We had Chinese takeout (and cookies) on Christmas eve.

We had cookies and cocoa for Xmas breakfast, then my family had a ham dinner with a variety of sides (my spouse and I substituted Gardein brand turk'y style cutlets for the ham) and angel food cake (and cookies). 

I made 3 regular types of cookies this year -

"Swedish butter cookies" (not sure if actually Swedish, that's just the recipe's name).  They're a refrigerator cookie. 

Sand tarts - rolled and cut into holiday shapes, then they get an egg wash, sprinkled with cinnamon/sugar, and topped with chopped peanuts

Good/better/best cookies - almond thins sandwiching speculoos/biscoff buttercream, dipped in chocolate ganache

And since my spouse developed a fairly severe dairy allergy fairly recently (not a GI reaction, but inflammation of the joints and flu-ish symptoms any time she eats even trace dairy)

Dairy free good/better/best cookies - see above

Dairy free chocolate chip cookies

Dairy free snowball cookies (also gluten free, since my sister-in-law is allergic to gluten)

I sure hope my kid gets my family's resistances, and not my spouse's family's allergies!

We actually talked about this on Christmas eve!  I don't know how true this is, but from our conversations and without Googling, I think they call them refrigerator cookies (or ice box cookies) because back in the the happy housewife era, having fresh baked cookies when visitors dropped by was always a big thing.  This is a dough you roll into a log and can keep them for a long time in the refrigerator, slicing cookies off the log and then voila, 10 minutes later, fresh cookies!  My recipe is just butter, sugar, flour, and vanilla extract.

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

We actually talked about this on Christmas eve!  I don't know how true this is, but from our conversations and without Googling, I think they call them refrigerator cookies (or ice box cookies) because back in the the happy housewife era, having fresh baked cookies when visitors dropped by was always a big thing.  This is a dough you roll into a log and can keep them for a long time in the refrigerator, slicing cookies off the log and then voila, 10 minutes later, fresh cookies!  My recipe is just butter, sugar, flour, and vanilla extract.

Thanks, I'll tell my better half!

Had Chinese takeout on Christmas eve, mom and dad didn't want to cook, can't blame them either. They were already working hard for the next day. 

We had fantastic food on Christmas, sausage gravy for breakfast / lunch, and an assortment of decent chicken, vegetables, some fantastic cut potato slices, and some delicious deserts for dinner. I actually ate so much after, I felt terribly sick for hours. Now that wasn't so much fun. 

On Christmas Day, smoked salmon and prawn starter, frosted apple martini sorbet, turkey and ham dinner main then chocolate tart dessert at Belfast's Crowne Plaza Hotel.  All washed down with complimentary sparkling wine on arrival and then Sauvignon Blanc.   

I did quite the dump yesterday morning, I can tell you.

20 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

salmon 

I'll have the salmon.

prawn

We're having prawns, your favorite!

martini

Shaken, not stirred.

Plaza Hotel

New York's most exciting hotel experience!