Parents and future parents of JWFan: Are you going to introduce your kids to the beloved movies of your youth?

Edmilson

Are you going to watch with your kid the movie series you loved when you were a child?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to watch with your kid the movie series you loved when you were a child?

• Yeah, but only the classic ones (eg.: LOTR Trilogy, Star Wars Original Trilogy, Star Trek even numbered movies, Terminator 1 and 2, Indy's first 3 movies, etc) and not the shitty sequels (eg.: Hobbit Trilogy, Prequel Trilogy and Disney Era SW, Star Trek odd numbered movies, Terminator 3 onwards, KOTCS, etc)
    • I'll watch everything about the franchise I love with the kid, not only the classics but the crappy installments as well!
    • Nah, I think I'm just going to watch with my kid whatever cartoon is popular with children by then, like Peppa Pig or Steven Universe or something

On 12/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, Chen G. said:

The Middle Earth films they can watch from An Unexpected Journey through to Return of the King, although those aren't really films for kids.

Could have fooled me - for the past fortnight my 8yr old has been "LotR this, They're Taking the Hobbits to Isengard that; and she's spent the whole of Christmas banging on about LotR to relatives and how Legolas and Sauron are her favourite characters.

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Braveheart is ideal for kids, right @Chen G.?

I first saw it when I was too young, and it terrified me, so I would say it’s for adults to appreciate.

It’s like good wine in that way.

On 12/24/2019 at 5:21 PM, Jay said:

So those of us who are not parents and don't plan to be don't get to participate in this poll?

Jay, don't take any notice of the big, bad @Ollie, and his "nope". Of course you can! You might have nephews, nieces, or cousins, that you could sit down and watch films with. There are always...possibilities.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Jay, don't take any notice of the big, bad @Ollie, and his "nope". Of course you can! You might have nephews, nieces, or cousins, that you could sit down and watch films with. There are always...possibilities.

humor, it is a difficult concept. 

18 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I started a young cousin of mine on An Unexpected Journey: he didn’t seem to mind. 

As much as I love The Hobbit, everything about LoTR is much more subtle and nuanced in its development, the transition from full-on Hobbit action and danger, to the mysterious LoTR story-development and subtlety of the Nazgul, doesn't really bode that well for LoTR. A bit too much pacing spoiling, spoiling all the broad effects of adventure and the well-done introductory material. Watching LoTR first will give you more respect for the series and developments, personally speaking, then going to The Hobbit.

I do like the shape of the series as it begins with An Unexpected Journey: the War of the Ring becomes that much more meaningful because, for the majority of the first two Hobbit films, Middle Earth is by and large enjoying a peaceful time. Likewise, that the first film is often so light and humorous really makes the descent into darkness more stark.

Plus, The Hobbit has some of the best characters of all of these films.

For all intents and purposes I recently watched The Hobbit again. It's just not well done, whichever way you cut it. Everything is so poorly handled right across the board. Now, the edited version I saw did improve the experience a fair bit, but it's still just a badly mounted effort whichever way you look at it. There are parts that work: Gollum's cave, Smaug's conversation with Bilbo, and a couple of other highlights dotted about here and there, there's undoubtedly a handful of strong scenes; but there's much more bad than good in this trilogy. To list everything wrong with The Hobbit would just be boring by now. But I will say this: Richard Armitage is rubbish as Thorin. He has no charisma whatsoever and he's a weak lead. I think that's one major focal point failure for plenty of the other problems to orbit around. And that's just one focal point of this movie. There are more, and they don't really work either.

7 minutes ago, Quintus said:

There are parts that work: Gollum's cave, Smaug's conversation with Bilbo

I always felt from the beginning, even before they existed, that the movie(s) were basically worth making to get these two scenes. And it turns out that they're pretty much the main reason to watch them. It is still kind of exciting sometimes to think that those are on film directed by Peter Jackson and scored by Howard Shore.

The things that stick in my mind from these films are entirely different: Thorin being betrayed by Thranduil, the Dwarves singing out their yearning to their homeland, beholding the will silhouette of the mountain from across the misty Lake, the opening of the hidden door, etc.

As spectacular and witty as Bilbo’s conversation with Smaug may be, the thing I remember is Thorin standing outside and deliberating what he’s going to do. It’s a near-Aristotelian moment.

Hmm... I can't really think of anything bad about The Hobbit. I loved Thorin and his story arc. I would say I only have one small setback with the films. They could've used slightly less fighting and shows of power / a bit more adventure and whimsy, more of the feeling of seeing interesting characters and the curious world for the first time. I'd expect slightly more child's fantasy from the prequel, as this would seal The Hobbit and LoTR together a bit better by making The Hobbit transition as a softer and progressive introduction to Middle Earth. If you watch The Hobbit before LoTR, it can give off just a little too much intensity without enough build-up and adventure that LoTR offers. So I'm currently on the edge for which trilogy to recommend watching first. I would say LoTR just introduces everything a bit better and has better pacing of all its mini-ventures. The Hobbit is not as multi-dimensional in its ups and downs, it seems to be always on action, which is great but it's not the best way to start the series.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

For the majority of the first two Hobbit films, Middle Earth is by and large enjoying a peaceful time. Likewise, that the first film is often so light and humorous really makes the descent into darkness more stark.

Plus, The Hobbit has some of the best characters of all of these films.

I pretty much agree with these points.

On 12/28/2019 at 8:50 AM, Ricard said:

So far I've watched the following pre-2010s films with my daughter:

Star Wars (1977)

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Return of the Jedi (1983)

The Phantom Menace (1999)

Attack of the Clones (2002)

Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Superman: The Movie (1978)

Superman II (1980)

Superman III (1983)

Supergirl (1984)

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987)

Superman Returns (2006)

The Karate Kid (1984)

The Karate Kid, Part II (1986)

The Karate Kid, Part III (1989)

Pinocchio (1940)

Planet of the Apes (1968)

Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)

Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971)

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972)

Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973)

Logan’s Run (1976)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

Back to the Future (1985)

Back to the Future Part II (1989)

Back to the Future Part III (1990)

Le Huitème Jour (1996)

Grease (1978)

Xanadu (1980)

Mary Poppins (1964)

A Hard Day's Night (1964)

Help! (1965)

Magical Mystery Tour (1967)

Yellow Submarine (1969)

Toy Story (1995)

Toy Story 2 (1999)

Toy Story 3 (2010)

The Dark Crystal (1982)

Duck Soup (1933)

Be Big (Laurel & Hardy, 1931)

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

WarGames (1983)

Gremlins (1984)

The Never-Ending Story (1984)

The list will go on!

Pretty excellent list, but... Superman: Returns? Really? Were your kids very agitated on that day and you decided put an excruciatingly, mind-numbingly boring movie to put them asleep?

I liked Superman Returns!

My kid asked last night to watch Star Wars, so I put it back on for her.  When she plays Star Wars she claims Princess Leia, says I'm Luke Skywalker, and that mom is Obi-wan Kenobi.  When I use a cup to rinse her hair in the bath, she pretends it's Darth Vader dumping ice cream on her head (??).  I'm not 100% sure she knows what's going on in Star Wars.

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

My kid asked last night to watch Star Wars, so I put it back on for her.  When she plays Star Wars she claims Princess Leia, says I'm Luke Skywalker, and that mom is Obi-wan Kenobi.  When I use a cup to rinse her hair in the bath, she pretends it's Darth Vader dumping ice cream on her head (??).  I'm not 100% sure she knows what's going on in Star Wars.

That's probably the most intelligent interpretation of the film, that I've ever read :lol:

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

I liked Superman Returns!

So do I, but if it could be tightened up, by losing 15 minutes, and it would go from "good", to "great".

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Pretty excellent list, but... Superman: Returns? Really? Were your kids very agitated on that day and you decided put an extremely, mind-numbingly boring movie to put them asleep?

It's better than both Supie III, and IV.