Official Alternate THE TOWERING INFERNO cover art by Jim Titus - JWFan Exclusive

Jay

Absolutely fantastic! Thanks for providing this Mike. Whilst the new cover art was beginning to grow on me, as a purist I always did love the original. Jim's reimagining here is simply stunning so shout out to him as well for a job well done.  

23 hours ago, King Mark said:

Can they put a high quality physical print of this with the box set?

A bit late now considering so many have already been shipped.  So it's clear that for those that prefer this key art you have the option to print it off in high resolution at your own convenience. 😀

Much better than the hideous cover art we got in the jewel case. When I ripped this into my iTunes I reordered the tracks to make the OST disc 1 using the original cover art, the film score tracks as disc 2 using the hideous LLL cover art and the alternates and bonus stuff as disc 3 using he disaster box cover art.  I’ll definitely update the cover art using this new one.

I do this with all deluxe sets where the OST presentation is part of the program.  When scrolling through my albums I’d rather see the original cover art.  Rarely do I prefer expanded/deluxe edition cover art over the original.  LLL’s Towering Inferno cover art is especially ugly. Earthquake is close enough to the original that I used that. This latest edition of Poseidon Adventure is the best cover art yet for that one.

Titus’ new cover is more easy on the eye than the one that ended up in the box - from our current aesthetic preferences.

But I have to say that I really appreciate that MM filled us in on the details of how it turned out the way it did.

There are a lot of politics, history and just plain physical limitations to be taken into consideration when putting something like this - or anything, really - together.

Hearing the story makes me appreciate the cover art we got in the box a lot more.

In the end, I think The Irwin Allen Estate made the right call, and anyone who wants can still change the cover in their digital library to the distress of no one.

74E2E67B-64D1-4B59-A039-2ACAEA585F0D.jpeg

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

In the end, I think The Irwin Allen Estate made the right call, and anyone who wants can still change the cover in their digital library to the distress of no one.

I'd still prefer the original art but agree it's really not a big deal. I usually love alternate cover art but in this case Steve McQueen really looks like a Cro Magnon. Photoshop was made for this.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He got paid for each font he used.

I don't think a lot of you have any idea of what's involved in creating artwork that will stand out.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with the fonts utilized in this digital cover for TTI (in my humble opinion of course). To each their own. I personally believe that Jim Titus did a fantastic  job with this. He's one of the best graphic designers going around today and it's no wonder he is highly sought after by the various boutique record labels. I once again congratulate JT on a job well done!

6 hours ago, MainTitle said:

I don't think a lot of you have any idea of what's involved in creating artwork that will stand out.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with the fonts utilized in this digital cover for TTI (in my humble opinion of course). To each their own. I personally believe that Jim Titus did a fantastic  job with this. He's one of the best graphic designers going around today and it's no wonder he is highly sought after by the various boutique record labels. I once again congratulate JT on a job well done!

When it comes to evaluating things like this, a significant part of it is a matter of personal preferences. But it's also a principle in design theory not to use too many different fonts jumbled together. It easily makes a messy appearance.

I’m sure JT knows all about fonts and how to make coherent designs.

Isn’t the bonus TTI-cover made up of two fonts, logo not included?

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack RE

IRWIN ALLEN’S

production of

[The Towering Inferno]

Music Composed and Conducted by

JOHN WILLIAMS

The two fonts are used and differs as such:

1)

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack RE (italic)

production of (smaller grade and italic)

Music Composed and Conducted by

2)

IRWIN ALLEN’S

JOHN WILLIAMS

Well, who knows what he is contractually obliged to include.

One solution might have been to keep “Original Motion Picture Soundtrack RE”, 

“production of” and “Music Composed and Conducted by” in the same grade, and all italic.

But I am happy with how it is.

Perhaps JT would like to complete the Allen "disaster" trilogy (we don't talk about WHEN TIME RAN OUT!), by "re-imagining" THE SWARM? The vinyl cover was utilitarian, to say the least, and the Prometheus is awful (culled from the American one-sheet, I believe).

On 1/13/2020 at 12:15 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Perhaps JT would like to complete the Allen "disaster" trilogy (we don't talk about WHEN TIME RAN OUT!), by "re-imagining" THE SWARM? The vinyl cover was utilitarian, to say the least, and the Prometheus is awful (culled from the American one-sheet, I believe).

Perhaps JT has already been tapped to redo a new cover for "The Swarm" seeing as LLL were going to initially release it as part of their Black Friday batch last November?   In any event MV has announced that LLL will release a new definitive version of that particular score some time this year. One would expect stellar audio restoration work too if the great Mike Matessino was also involved in this project.  Looking forward to a new edition of this Jerry Goldsmith gem.