The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How do you land on these movies

• I like TRoS appreciably more than TLJ
    • I like TLJ appreciably more than TRoS
    • I think they’re both wizard
    • I think they’re both dismal

7 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

TROS is a far more flawed movie but it returns Star Wars to mysticism and old fashioned family melodrama.

This is where I feel fans go into denial about what Star Wars is, particularly the latter. Even George Lucas insists SW is a soap opera, but try telling that to tech-head fans who zealously view it more as an exercise in technical proficiency, meticulous scripty plotting and lavish production value. It's really more of a modern exploration of mythology, but I'm still on the fence whether the Disney episodes succeed at that.

I love TLJ, everytime I watch it I find something I like that I didn't the first time. I love the ending of TRoS, but think the film's just alright. I like the score for TRoS more, though.

If it was just the Rey-Kylo-Luke stuff I’d say TLJ. Unfortunate the heavy handed and poorly thought out Resistance stuff halts TLJ for me. It seems like Johnson went with the first ideas that popped into his head and said “yeah, that’ll do” because he was far more interested in the Force stuff.

TROS is an absolute mess of a film but it’s very very enjoyable as a Star War. It’s also got a better score.