The 12th Annual JWFan Awards - The Best Scores and Films of 2019!

Jay

Wikipedia seems to have changed how they do things.  Normally I would link to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_in_film

But that doesn't have a list any more, so I did the best I could *shrug*

I haven't even started this yet -- I have 3 lists coming up: Best 20 films of 2019, best 10 scores of 2019 and the Norwegian film music year 2019. I'll be working on this in the coming weeks, and post it here (and in the Celluloid Tunes thread, when relevant) when it's ready. Not that anybody is anxious to hear my picks or anything, just sayin'.

Ten movies I liked: Ad Astra, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, The Farewell, The Irishman, Knives Out, The Lighthouse, Midsommar, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Toy Story 4, Us

Have also seen: Avengers Endgame, Captain Marvel, It 2, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, The Lion King, Star Warz, and Yesterday. I think that's it. Of these, The Lion King did the least for me.

I still really want to see 1917, Marriage Story, Parasite, and Uncut Gems at some point soon. Anything else I might catch in a few weeks, a few months, a few years, never. Oh and I will see 63 Up whenever that's available to me.

TV/Netflix-wise, I loved El Camino and I Think You Should Leave. The latter is probably my favorite thing I watched this year in general.

Scores, I have only listened to Star Wars more than once. But I really enjoyed A Hidden Life and How to Train Your Dragon 3, without having seen the films, and I will probably revisit those eventually. I liked the scores to Knives Out and Us in their films but haven't rushed to listen again. Once Upon a Time had my favorite uses of music in a film overall. The Lighthouse and Midsommar further blur the lines between music and sound design in interesting ways.

The highlight of the year was the Rise of Skywalker FYC leak/discovery. Hilarious. Hiding away in my apartment talking to the only other people in the world who'd been scouring for an early listen of the last John Williams Star Wars like it's a Kanye bootleg :heart:

I'll do my top lists tomorrow or on January 2nd, but for now here's my 2019 numbers:

Movies watched: 50. That's 8 more than 2018, but 24 less than 2017.

Movies watched on theaters: 16. So I've been to the theaters 3 times more than 2018 but 4 less than 2017. Proportionally, this year more movies were watched at theaters than the others. 32% of my 2019 movies were on cinemas, compared to 31% in 2018 and 27% in 2017. Guess I'm having less and less time to watch movies at home...

TV episodes watched: 195, which is a whopping 42 more than 2018 and only 6 less than 2017.

Film Score albuns listened to (including bootlegs and FYCs): 118. That's 14 more than 2018, but still a huge 159 less than 2017. My record is still 2015, when I listened to over 340 score albuns, almost 1 per day. Guess I have to listen to more stuff!

BEST SCORES OF 2019:

1. Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker (John Williams)
  2. How to train your Dragon The Hidden World (John Powell)
  3. Spider Man Far from Home (Michael Giacchino)
  4.  Avangers Endgame (Alan Silvestri)
  5. Lion King (Hans Zimmer)
  6. The Mandelorien (Ludwig Göransson)

TOP 10 BEST TRACKS OF 2019:

1. The Force is with You (Williams)
  2. Destiny of the Jedi (Williams)
  3. Furies in Love (Powell)
  4. Third Date (Powell)
  5. Once There Where Dragons (Powell)
  6. Reunion (Williams)
  7. A New Hope (Williams)
  8. The Speeder Chase (Williams)
  9. Hedwig's Theme (Williams, Mutter)
  10. Portals (Silvestri)

BEST FILMS OF 2019

1. How to train your Dragon The Hidden World
  2. Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker 
  3. Avangers Endgame 
  4. Spider Man Far from Home

SPECIFIC HIGHLIGHTS OF 2019:

Across the Stars Deluxe Edition Album by John Williams and Anne-Sophie Mutter.

Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban live in Consert.

BEST SCORES OF 2019:

1. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker by John Williams

2. How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World by John Powell

3. A Hidden Life by James Newton Howard

4. Midsommar by Bobby Krlic

5. Us by Michael Abels

"Fire Temple" from Midsommar by Bobby Krlic

"The Rise of Skywalker" from Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker by John Williams

"A Hidden Life" by from A Hidden Life by James Newton Howard

"A Real Hero" from Avengers: Endgame by Alan Silvestri

"Anthem" from Us by Michael Abels

"The Song of Names for Violin and Orchestra" from The Song of Names by Howard Shore

"Furies in Love" from How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World by John Powell

"Far From Home Suite" from Spider-Man: Far From Home by Michael Giacchino

"I'm All Fired Up" from Captain Marvel by Pinar Toprak

"Woman in Blue" from Motherless Brooklyn by Daniel Pemberton

BEST CATALOG TITLES OF 2019:

Superman: The Movie

Minority Report

Planet of the Apes: Original Film Series Soundtrack Collection

The Disaster Movie Soundtrack Collection

The Thin Red Line

An American Tail

Apollo 13

Son of the Morning Star

Air Force One

Monsignor

FILM SCORE LABEL OF THE YEAR:

La-La Land

BEST FILMS OF 2019:

1. Midsommar

2. Parasite

3. Knives Out

4. Avengers: Endgame

5. John Wick - Chapter 3 - Parabellum

BEST TV SEASONS OF 2019:

(didn't watch much or didn't care enough)

Seeing John Williams conduct for the first time (Tanglewood Film Night in August)

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back in Concert

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in Concert (again)

SPECIFIC DISAPPOINTMENTS OF 2019:

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (film)

Karol

Here's my list, with some modifications:

BEST SCORES OF 2019:

1. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World – John Powell
  2. Avengers: Endgame – Alan Silvestri
  3. Spider-Man: Far from Home – Michael Giacchino
  4. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – John Williams
  5. 1917 – Thomas Newman

Other highlights of the year: A Hidden Life (James Newton Howard), Joker (Hildur Guðnadóttir), Toy Story 4 and Marriage Story (Randy Newman), Us (Michael Abels)

1. Main on Ends from Avengers: Endgame - Alan Silvestri
  2. The Hidden World Suite from How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World - John Powell
  3. Once there Were Dragons from How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World - John Powell
  4. Portals from Avengers: Endgame - Alan Silvestri
  5. Come Back to Us from 1917 - Thomas Newman
  6. Far from Home Suite from Spider-Man: Far from Home - Michael Giacchino
  7. The Rise of Skywalker from Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - John Williams
  8. Call me Joker from Joker - Hildur Guðnadóttir
  9. World’s Worst Water Feature from Spider-Man: Far from Home - Michael Giacchino
  10. Farewell from Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - John Williams

Honorable mentions: Return, Hope and Knotted from A Hidden Life; More Problems from Captain Marvel, The Ritual of Chud and Stan's Letter from It: Chapter Two, Immolation from Us, and actually pretty much every track on The Hidden World OST, lol.

BEST CATALOG TITLES OF 2019:

1. Minority Report
  2. Air Force One
  3. Superman
  4. An American Tail
  5. Monsignor

FILM SCORE LABEL OF THE YEAR:

LLL

BEST FILMS OF 2019

1. The Irishman (Martin Scorsese)
  2. Avengers: Endgame (Joe and Anthony Russo)
  3. Ad Astra (James Gray)
  4. Us (Jordan Peele)
  5. John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (Chad Stahelski)
  6. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino)
  7. Knives Out (Rian Johnson)

BEST TV EPISODES OF 2019

1. Watchmen S01E05 - "Little Fear of Lightning"
  2. Mindhunter S02E04 - "Episode 4"
  3. Chernobyl S01E02 - "Please Remain Calm"
  4. True Detective S03E08 - "Now Am Found"
  5. Rick and Morty S04E02 - "The Old Man and the Seat"

WORST MOVIES OF 2019:

1. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (J.J. Abrams)
  2. Glass (M. Night Shyamalan)
  3. Men in Black: International (F. Gary Grey)
  4. Dark Phoenix (Simon Kinberg)
  5. Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (David Leitch)

1. The finale of the Infinity Saga on Avengers Endgame, my favorite movie session of this decade.
  2. JNH finally scoring a Terrence Malick movie
  3. Watchmen TV show
  4. John Williams managing to pull a Jerry Goldsmith on The Rise of Skywalker
  5. Beating two wonderful games, Red Dead Redemption 2 and God of War 2018, back to back.
  6. John Powell's perfect conclusion to his trilogy on The Hidden World, probably the best trilogy of scores of the 2010s.
  7. Toy Story 4 being a great movie and not ruining its perfect series of movies.

On a personal level: lots of cool stuff with my friends, meeting a great girl last month, actually getting paid to write about box office, being transfered to a area I actually love (Data Analysys) instead of just doing pointless stuff at my job. And, of course, joining JWFan. Love you, guys!

1. TROS being not only an awful movie but also harmful to its franchise.
  2. JNH not scoring Maleficent 2, or any other movie in 2019 besides A Hidden Life (and the same applies to Powell and yes, Williams, all of which only did one movie this year)
  3. Green Lantern show by the creator of the awful Arrowverse greenlit by the idiots at WB
  4. Social Media in general continues ruining the world.
  5. I don't care enough about the TV show Game of Thrones, but it's sad that another year has passed and still no word on The Winds of Winter.

On a personal level: fighting with my best friend, who as of today is still pissed off at me, losing my 12-year-old dog, an utterly shitty, depressing, soul-crushing Christmas, my soccer team Cruzeiro Esporte Clube being relegated to the second division of the Brazilian Championship and facing a serious financial crisis, several humiliations... all of these events happened within the space of a few weeks, from last November until today. I never had a worse "season finale" (end of an year) than this year.

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

The Hidden World needs more love! It's a better score than The Rise of Skywalker.

Nah, apart from a few standouts like 'Furies in Love' and 'Third Date' it's too often loud and relentless with the added disadvantage that much of it has appeared in parts 1 and 2 verbatim. 

37 minutes ago, publicist said:

Nah, apart from a few standouts like 'Furies in Love' and 'Third Date' it's too often loud and relentless with the added disadvantage that much of it has appeared in parts 1 and 2 verbatim. 

Verbatim? Not really. You think the third film quoting themes from the first two is wrong? Like a closing chapter normally does?

ShallowEnragedGoldfinch-size_restricted.gif

22 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Verbatim? Not really. You think the third film quoting themes from the first two is wrong? Like a closing chapter normally does?

What i think is that these scores are, save for a few cues and moments easily spotted, rather superficial and workmanlike but they sound like what most film score fans think 'great' scores should sound like, i. e. with a full 100-piece orchestra and chorus at full throttle and chock-full of tunes that come and go without being much varied. 

But Powell seldom rises above a musical revue with the same themes passing in slightly different guises and settings, but dramatically there's not much to be had because most of it blends together without much to differentiate it. The few touches that stood out in the third one, the 6/8 'Furies in Love' chief among them, are really not enough to make this a best-of-anything. 

Pemberton's edgy and dramatically astute 'Motherless Brooklyn' is much better, but it's out of the plush zone most fans like to listen to, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

but they sound like what most film score fans think 'great' scores should sound like

So you're speaking for most film score fans?

I wouldn't presume to know why you prefer Motherless Brooklyn, or anything you like for that matter so why condescend to other people?

No, rather it sounds like you're tetchy over how people can like popular scores because they must be ignorant to the broader spectrum of film scores or something. It's that smug attitude that puts me off this place from time to time.

7 minutes ago, publicist said:

Because you seem to invite it.

• 1 month later...

Alright, a bit late, but finally time to list last year's best.

My top 10 "Best Film Scores" list can be found in this Celluloid Tunes podcast episode:

http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tunes-64-the-10-best-scores-of-2019-21st-international-edition/ 

If you don't care to listen, these are my favourites:

1. A HIDDEN LIFE (James Newton Howard)

2. L'HEURE DE LA SORTIE (Zombie Zombie)

3. MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN (Daniel Pemberton)

4. DON’T COME BACK FROM THE MOON (Johnny Jewel)

5. ZWINGLI (Great Garbo)

6. ALL IS TRUE (Patrick Doyle)

7. TOLKIEN (Thomas Newman)

8. AD ASTRA (Max Richter & Lorne Balfe)

9. FINIS TERRAE (Christoph Zirngibl)

10. BLANCHE COMME NEIGE (Bruno Coulais)

Dan Levy’s I LOST MY BODY would have been on there, but I heard it too late for the podcast recording.

Honourable mentions to MARRIAGE STORY (Randy Newman), DOLEMITE IS MY NAME (Scott Bomar), SWOON (Nathaniel Mechaly), CURIOSA (Arnaud Rebotin), DEEP WATER (Toydrum), THE WHITE CROW (Ilan Eshkeri), JUDY (Gabriel Yared), TRAUMFABRIK (Philipp Noll), PARASITE (Jung Jae-Il), THE ELEPHANT QUEEN (Alex Heffes), JOKER (Hildur Gudnadottir), DOMINO (Pino Donaggio), THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (John Williams), MIDWAY (Harald Kloser & Thomas Wander), TORPEDO (Hannes de Maeyer), THE FAREWELL (Alex Weston).

My top 20 favourite films of 2019 (Norwegian premieres) can be found here:

https://montages.no/2020/02/thor-joachims-topp-20-2019/ 

Full list (145 films from 2019) can be seen here:

https://mubi.com/lists/2019-films-ranked 

I watched a recordbreaking 455 films in 2019, if you include older films, newer films and films I saw again, but – as mentioned above – a record LOW 145 films from the year (I’m usually about 100 more films from the concurrent year, but last year I prioritized rewatches and older films).

I believe this is the first year I've participated in this and what a terrible year to do it. I've been so busy that I think I only saw a measly 20 or so films that were released this year. I saw others and some TV as well, but they weren't all released this year. So, forgive me, I haven't seen or heard nearly as much as I would've liked:

BEST SCORES OF 2019:

1. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
  2. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
  3. Jojo Rabbit
  4. 1917
  5. Avengers: Endgame

• "Speeder Chase" by John Williams, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
  • "The Rise of Skywalker" by John Williams, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
  • "Furies in Love" by John Powell, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
  • "Once There Were Dragons" by John Powell, How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
  • "The Kids Are All Reich" by Michael Giacchino, Jojo Rabbit
  • "The Night Window" by Thomas Newman, 1917
  • "Portals" by Alan Silvestri, Avengers: Endgame
  • "Rodan" by Bear McCreary, Godzilla: King of the Monsters
  • "Silvergrove" by Frederik Wiedmann, The Dragon Prince (Season 3)
  • "Tammy" by Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein, Stranger Things 3

BEST FILMS OF 2019

1. Parasite
  2. Knives Out
  3. 1917
  4. Jojo Rabbit
  5. Booksmart
  6. Us
  7. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
  8. Avengers: Endgame
  9. It: Chapter Two
  10. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

BEST TV SEASONS OF 2019

• Mr. Robot (Season 4)
  • The Dragon Prince (Season 3)
  • Sex Education (Season 1)
  • Undone (Season 1)
  • Good Omens
  • Lost In Space (Season 2)

• As silly as most here view the MCU, it was pretty cool to finally see some sort of resolution to something I'd started watching back in 2008. So Avengers: Endgame was a fun experience. The callbacks, the payoffs. It was a fun time.
  • Parasite winning Best Picture, Bong Joon-Ho winning Best Director. A relatively low key, under the radar dude. I'm glad to see him getting some deserved mainstream recognition.
  • Say what you will about the film, but it was a great time reading all the speculation and reaction to The Rise of Skywalker's score. Always love those discussions on JWFan.
  • I personally had a uniquely bizarre experience seeing Cats. Not only did I manage to catch it before the VFX were updated, but my theaters speaker system was busted and everything except the Center was about 20dB lower than where it should have been. So the orchestra track was very quiet and I could hear EVERY breath and it just piled on to an already weird and hilarious experience. 
  • I'm a Stranger Things fan. Had a fun experience watching the new season the hour it came out and binged it all immediately. Not as easy as something like that used to be for me, but it was fun to do it again. 

• Godzilla: King of the Monsters. In no way was I expecting a masterpiece (it's Godzilla afterall), but I was severely disappointed in how this film turned out. I love the vibe of the very first trailer and the movie just did not live up to that. The human story was far better than the 2014 film, but the scale, the mythic quality, etc that looked to be even greater...was just not right and missing. The main saving grace was Bear McCreary's score.
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. I didn't utterly despise it like some people, but you know it's not a good thing when you see the finale of Star Wars and your reaction when the credits roll is..."Meh". As someone who absolutely adored The Force Awakens, this trilogy fell so fast in my eyes and it just could not revive itself into what I wanted. I think it best if Disney takes a break and gets the next set of films in the hands of a competent Director and Writer that can handle all the films in the series and PLAN. IT. OUT.
  • Joker winning Best Original Score at the Oscars. Look, I won't pretend that I've seen the film, but I did listen to the score. There were simply better entries, but I tend to disagree with the winner about 75% of the time, so what do I know? Regardless, I hope Hildur Guðnadóttir gets a career boost and is able to work on better projects.
  • Finally, I mean look at this list, I did not have the time to watch and listen to the majority of the things I wanted to. So many films and scores have fallen by the wayside. That's what happens when you work in TV. Lol.

This was fun!

Perhaps 2020's list will be more well-rounded. Lol.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

How come this thread has so low activity, compared to previous years? Have people been completely out of the loop in 2019?

New job started after last year's Fannies.  So busy!  Still plan on doing it up - new fannies for a new year!