How did you feel about The Rise of Skywalker?

John

How did you feel about The Rise of Skywalker?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How did you feel about The Rise of Skywalker?

• It was great.
    • It was good as hell.
    • It was good.
    • It was okay.
    • It was "meh".
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was terrible.
    • What's a star war?

The concluding chapter of the Skywalker Saga is here! Was it everything you hoped for in a finale and more, or did it make you long for the days of Rian Johnson and his subverted expectations?

How did you feel about the latest installment of the Star Wars saga, The Rise of Skywalker?

Due to feedback from the poll I made for The Last Jedi, I made a "It was good as hell" choice for those who wish to choose that option. :)

1 minute ago, Evanus said:

Seeing McDiarmid back again as Papa Palpatine was fun. 

Nothing new was added to the character though. Who's very interesting outside the Prequels.

2 minutes ago, Evanus said:

And we have another great Star Wars score!

The worst Star Wars score Williams has ever composed.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Nothing new was added to the character though. Who's very interesting outside the Prequels.

Oh I'm not saying they did anything really interesting with his character, I just like seeing McDiarmid in the role.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

The worst Star Wars score Williams has ever composed.

I disagree, either way it's still fantastic. 

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No, i really don't think so. There's nothing like Escape, Canto Bight, The Supremacy, The Rebellion Is Reborn, The Spark.

The Rise of Skywalker is a way better theme than the sickly sweet Rose's theme/repetitive Exile theme, and I can think of several TROS action/dramatic set pieces that I prefer to "The Supremacy", "Escape", and "The Spark".

TROS doesn't have wacky source music though, so I have to give TLJ the point there.

17 minutes ago, Evanus said:

I enjoyed it. Seeing McDiarmid back again as Papa Palpatine was fun. 

I thought I’d enjoy McDiarmid in the film much more than I actually did. Strange.

Score’s very nice.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Rose's Theme is a classic JW character theme! It reminds me of TOD.

It reminds me of a dorkier Anakin's theme minus any of the emotion that theme evokes.  A very basic "we're going on an adventure!" feeling that is at odds with the darker storyline of the film.  

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Not a physical cameo!

Thank fuck! It's one of the things that makes me unable to fully hate the movie, thinking about how much worse it could have been.

It was great. - ANH, ESB

It was good as hell. - TLJ, TFA

It was good. - ROTJ, TROS, Solo

It was okay. - ROTS, RO

It was "meh" - TPM, AOTC

It was terrible. - Holiday special

It was great - The Empire Strikes Back

It was good as hell - Star Wars, The Force Awakens

It was good - The Last Jedi, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi, Rogue One

It was okay - The Phantom Menace

It was meh - The Rise of Skywalker, Attack of the Clones.

4 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Chen, I thought you didn't like TLJ. 

No, I always liked it fine. Something about the glowing praise its getting from its fan always rubbed me the wrong way, though. Most seem to either loathe it ("it ruined Star Wars") or praise it beyond reason ("it was surprising and clever") - no middle ground.

I definitely appreciate it even more after The Rise of Skywalker, though.

GREAT - Original Trilogy

GOOD AS HELL - Force Awakens

GOOD - Ewoks 1-2

OKAY - Solo, Rise of Skywalker

MEH - Phantom Menace

I DIDN’T LIKE IT - Prequels 2-3, Rogue One

TERRIBLE - Last Jedi

I just don't see what makes TROS so terrible. Yes, there were things I would have done differently, but my first viewing blew me away and I still enjoyed it on my third. 

Same with TLJ. I can see being unhappy with the Canto Bight stuff, but the rest is great!

Terrible is a harsh word to throw around these films, but I don't think the movie is any good. Its often bordering on the incoherent, it rushes through its plot in a way I've never seen before, to the point of sapping itself almost entirely of any sense of heft, and its portrayal of Kylo Ren and his redemption is the point of moral bankruptcy for the entire series.

The Last Jedi has issues with it other than the Canto Bight sequence. The First Order being on the heels of the Resistance throughout this film gets old after a while, and is largely responsible for the film's pacing issues, and for my tastes the film is a bit too preoccupied with throwing a few too many curveballs at the audience, and I didn't appreciate the style of humour.

The best film of this trilogy remains The Force Awakens. Yes, its a remake of Star Wars, but it throws such a great new coat-of-paint on that film, with its Spielberg-lite long takes, impressive scale and excellent performances that's its hard to fault too much. Plus, it does have an original element in the form of Kylo Ren: a conflicted villain who, unlike Vader, chooses the side of evil by the end of the film.

All three are redundant, and - in terms of the story of the series - should never have been made. This summarizes my thoughts on the sequel trilogy.

My credits worth is when I saw it on Boxing Day, I left feeling deflated. I don't know what I was expecting (well, halfway into the film I got into my head Christiansen's Anakin would appear as a Force ghost at some point). Managed to avoid spoiler's etc. It was good to see MacDiarmid back but there wasn't enough somehow (I rewatched EpIII last night and without him, that film would not be worth any effort), Lando back in action once more, even Wedge even if it was two seconds and surprised, pleasantly, Ford returned. Funny how the throne room on the Death Star managed to survive in some shape or form on that planet. And we got through this trilogy without one, even flashbacked, glimpse of Coruscant. 

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Thank fuck! It's one of the things that makes me unable to fully hate the movie, thinking about how much worse it could have been.

That was one of the best fan service bits in ROS. You got to hear Christansen, Neeson, Jackson, McGregor, even several actors from the animated series.

Its also a really inane way to "wrap up the nine-film saga."

Its kind-of the Infinity War/Endgame approach to "wrapping up a saga" in that they seem to conflate revisiting all the characters with actually wrapping up all of the stories. Its too literal an approach.

I liked the film - especially the second time where I was expecting the problems to come through. I think there's certainly missed potential, character arcs left in ruins or mishandled, rushed pacing with so little story to bind it all together. Somehow I still like it, I like the more Expanded Universe feel it has, bringing in elements of The Force that we haven't seen explored. The Reylo development is the strongest part of the film and ultimately that's all that I was concerned with. The score is amazing, it's tied for me in first with TFA for the ST. 

Cons:

• Pacing Issues - too much to see and do with no time to take it all in. The things we see and do are a mixture of awesome design and poor placement, why bother showing it if we can't see more of it. 

• The Knights of Ren are fucking useless, like the Jedi who went to arrest Palpatine in RotS. They show up on a mountain and look around like they're lost 'do you guys see anything yet? Nope'. Somehow they get to Exegol and hide behind a pillar and then Kylo dispatches them and that's it. The Knights of Ren, teased since TFA are nothing after all.

• Death Star Star Destroyer Fleet? Looks cool, but is incredibly stupid.

• Why is Lando on Pasaana in a tank? He should be lounging about in some palatial space bar.

• Too much Leia: She's there but she's a one line robot, she doesn't have any full conversations and she's awkwardly placed into shots. 

• Not enough Palpatine. More time on Exegol was needed and Palpatine should've had more of a presence, instead we're told and not shown what this means to the Galaxy at large. 

People in my theatre clapped and cheered when Reylo kissed and on the iris out.

That never happens in my country. The only other time I've seen that is in Endgame when Cap summoned Mjolnir. 

I'd be interested to know what Rian Johnson would have done with this episode, wonder if he was approached and if so why he declined. Also would like to hear what Colin Tomorrow's take would have been - and how much of the finished product bears his stamp, considering that he got a screen credit.

It was "meh" for me. Some visual effects were very good (but this was expected) and some scenes were quite emotional. Acting from the main characters (Daisy and Adam) was very good. The story made no sense at all, neither in itself, nor in the context of the saga, so it was a disappointing conclusion. But the music was very good, so it was worth it!

15 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Score’s very nice.

Oh, thanks!

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

When I first watched the film I really hated it. But since then it managed to upgrade its rating to "meh".

Karol

You saw it a second time?

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

When I first watched the film I really hated it. But since then it managed to upgrade its rating to "meh".

Karol

So next time you watch it, it will become "okay" ;)