How did you feel about The Rise of Skywalker?

John

How did you feel about The Rise of Skywalker?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How did you feel about The Rise of Skywalker?

• It was great.
    • It was good as hell.
    • It was good.
    • It was okay.
    • It was "meh".
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was terrible.
    • What's a star war?

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

You saw it a second time?

I had two tickets booked before it came out. With Limitless I don't really pay anything as such so it doesn't matter how many times I watch it. I didn't like it the first time but decided not to cancel the second booking because I knew I would like to hear the music again. And when I visited my family back home for Christmas my sister had a "surprise" cinema trip for me. I was about to say no but watching SW together is our family tradition so..That makes it three times altogether. ;)

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I had two tickets booked before it came out. With Limitless I don't really pay anything as such so it doesn't matter how many times I watch it. I didn't like it the first time but decided not to cancel the second booking because I knew I would like to hear the music again. And when I visited my family back home for Christmas my sister had a "surprise" cinema trip for me. I was about to say no but watching SW together is our family tradition so..That makes it three times altogether. ;)

Well you'll get no sympathy from me.

4 hours ago, Score said:

The story made no sense at all,

Made sense to me.

8 hours ago, ManofDestiny said:

Since what Disney gave us in ep8.......

...was actually original compared to what Abrams came up with.

16 hours ago, ManofDestiny said:

I did not, and will not go to see it.

Since what Disney gave us in ep8.......

It gave us a visually stunning film and another great score from John Williams. The story and performances were all top-notch too. Canto Bight can go suck a Canto dick, the only shitty part of the film, really. Oh and Benicio Del Toro's character. 

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

The entire 9 movie saga was the road to the line of Palpatine standing tall. 

No, to the last Palpatine rejecting her legacy and embracing the identity of her grandfather's enemy.  Execution could have been better but I buy that.

The Emperor wasn't good in this. His dialogue was mainly stilted expository crap and most of the movie he was a reanimated corpse attached to a crane like something out of Doctor Who.

Lucas could do the Emperor, there's no doubt about that. JJ, Batman vs. Superman writer and the lady who produced Always and Congo can not.

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

Canto Bight can go suck a Canto dick, the only shitty part of the film, really. Oh and Benicio Del Toro's character. 

And the out-of-place humor, and the incessant need to constantly throw curveballs at the audience.

8 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

It's not like she became ruler of earth as she was tempted to become numerous times. She chose a humble life.

She took Luke Skywalker's house. Very humble. 

Any alternative ideas as to how this episode should have gone down story-wise? Just interested to hear some different viewpoints, not trying to start anything. I'm assuming spoilers are allowed here (based on some somments above).

6 hours ago, Demodex said:

Out of place?  Have you seen Star Wars movies before?

What I mean is that it was much more meta than Star Wars humor usually is.

I like my films when they’re earnest.

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Any alternative ideas as to how this episode should have gone down story-wise? Just interested to hear some different viewpoints, not trying to start anything.

Kylo Ren is the villain, Rey is still a nobody, you can keep the Dyad concept. Rey and Ren race toward a McGuffin which could enhance their Force capabilities so as to allow one to triumph over the other.

Only Rey, after much deliberation, ends up using it to disable the ability of people all around the Galaxy to use The Force, thereby robbing Kylo of his power. There are no more Force-users: no more Jedi and no more Sith. Sustainable peace is therefore achieved, but at a cost.

Some device to disable all of the Jedi's power seems too preposterous, but I think something like Aang taking away Firelord Ozai's bending would've been interesting had Rey taken a similar path with Palpatine - leaving him a corpse, doomed to wander the scorched plains of Exegol like a ghost, in turn making him a nobody. Kylo would've already sacrificed his life force to Rey in order for the powers of the Dyad to be contained in her.

1465338845582.gif

source.gif

6 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Any alternative ideas as to how this episode should have gone down story-wise?

Instead of The Rise of Skywalker they should have called it The Search for Skywalker.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 7:50 PM, Chen G. said:

Only Rey, after much deliberation, ends up using it to disable the ability of people all around the Galaxy to use The Force, thereby robbing Kylo of his power. There are no more Force-users: no more Jedi and no more Sith. Sustainable peace is therefore achieved, but at a cost.   Space fascism can rise again unabated, and this time there will be no space wizards to stop it!

All the space nazis in Star Wars were always headed or masterminded by dark Force users. No Force using means no dark Force users, and could mean no space Nazis would come to power, certainly not in a way that allows them to overwhelm the good guys as they were wont to do in the previous entries.

I think all good fantasy endings take away from the fancifulness of the fantasy, leaving in its trail a somewhat dull, more mundane world which you wouldn't want to see another film set in. Perhaps it could be said that the mark of a good concluding chapter is that it drives out any incentive to look forward to another chapter.

• 2 weeks later...

TRoS left me with the same feeling Dark Phoenix did. There was actually quite a bit of stuff that I found could be intriguing if the time was there to really focus on it. However, because TLJ caused the world to set aflame, they had to speed and tie everything up in as nice of a bow as they could. It was a relatively entertaining 2 hour watch, which I think was helped by knowing fully what to expect. Gave me the feeling similar to Ep 8 funnily enough, where some of the issues people had felt really overblown once I'd finally seen it. Nevertheless, it was movie that I think lost its chance to truly shine with presumably all the stuff that ended up being gutted in the cutting room floor.

Has Hollywood finally normalized reboots and sequels? Is TROS the critical step in their game of remaking every IP they own till the end of time? 

19 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Dark Phoenix

I’m sure this won’t be the last film to make you feel like watching DP. 😞

Has anybody noticed how TROS ripped off Titanic’s ending? 

Girl sees Important Stuff. Girl takes Special Name. The End.

Rise of the Palpatine. 0/5 stars.