How Much Does a Top Composer Like Williams, Shore, Zimmer Make Per Score?

Mr. Gitz

Re: Horner, this was from an article in late March of ‘98.

Titanic Composer Sails to Bank
NEW YORK (Variety) - Forget the two Oscars he won for the music to ``Titanic.'' James Horner is creating more of a buzz for a ``Titanic'' soundtrack deal that has the composer homing in on a record payday that may be more than $20 million. Insiders familiar with the deal say it breaks down this way: Horner got an upfront scoring fee of around $800,000. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. He also gets royalty points on the instrumental soundtrack and shares publishing and songwriting fees for the Celine Dion hit ``My Heart Will Go On.'' Sources say the fees mean Horner will earn $1.20 per album -- a rate typical for platinum-selling superstar artists.

6 minutes ago, MikeH said:

Re: Horner, this was from an article in late March of ‘98.

Titanic Composer Sails to Bank
NEW YORK (Variety) - Forget the two Oscars he won for the music to ``Titanic.'' James Horner is creating more of a buzz for a ``Titanic'' soundtrack deal that has the composer homing in on a record payday that may be more than $20 million. Insiders familiar with the deal say it breaks down this way: Horner got an upfront scoring fee of around $800,000. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. He also gets royalty points on the instrumental soundtrack and shares publishing and songwriting fees for the Celine Dion hit ``My Heart Will Go On.'' Sources say the fees mean Horner will earn $1.20 per album -- a rate typical for platinum-selling superstar artists.

Sounds about right... he'd have made about 2 pence from the same number of streams... Obviously a perfectly good upfront fee, although I seem to remember reading that there wasn't the budget for an orchestra for the full score, hence the synths (which are I think are often quite effective, save for the divisive synth choir - would have been better laying Sissel's vocals instead like, erm, Enya...).

The song royalties probably still pay off handsomely. Afair, big shot composer also get gross points on *their* movies, and since the Marvel era of movies, that's probably a substantial amount even for dreck like ASM 2.

14 hours ago, karelm said:

What are your sources indicating Giacchino hasn't invested in upcoming risky projects?  I literally attended a seminar with him last week where he introduced the composer he donated his fee and themes for someone getting started to do the score to An American Pickle.  If you don't like the way he funds underfunded projects that is your problem.  I have in fact benefited from how generous he was to young people bringing us on to major projects he was working on.  He has a reputation of hiring those who don't get an opportunity like his recording engineer Dan Wallin on many big projects who wasn't part of the hip crowd and not very fashionable to hire and is now 94.  His team was full of first timers and last timers who were struggling.  He takes a chance on untested people and offered me orchestration, arranging, and conducting opportunities even when I argued against it.  I was very nervous conducting and quite inexperienced and he and his team said go for it and take the chance even when they were over budget and getting considerable pressure to record faster and lower the music budget.   That is the supportive environment he nurtures and it's extremely rare!

That is nothing at all related to what I was talking about, which was re-recordings, not nurturing new composers, which it's great that he (and others) does. I clearly shouldn't have mentioned any names.

39 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

That is nothing at all related to what I was talking about, which was re-recordings, not nurturing new composers, which it's great that he (and others) does. I clearly shouldn't have mentioned any names.

I understand what you meant and am very perplexed why karelm reacted like you had accused Giacchino of something serious.

44 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Ok, I better understand your point now.  Sorry for the rant.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I understand what you meant and am very perplexed why karelm reacted like you had accused Giacchino of something serious.

Thanks Stu. I perhaps should have referenced people like George Korngold who (presumably) used some of the contacts and money he inherited from his father to support re-recordings of his father's music.

1 minute ago, karelm said:

Ok, I better understand your point now.  Sorry for the rant.

Thanks Karelm. I only really mentioned MG as he's clearly a film music fan, but it wasn't to suggest he was being mean. I guess it's just something I'd have liked to do. I just have this vision of a top composer with money and time who loves doing side projects of re-recording classic scores, just surprised that one hasn't materialised! Great that he's supporting you, good luck.

Even though I would take more advantage of re-recordings to me it makes perfect sense, that a successful composer rather supports and invests into young composers and their career instead of investing in re-recordings that just make the score fans happy.

Since I think, composers rather earn their money with composition assignments and live performances instead of CD or download sells. I would guess the share from the record sells go 90% to the movie production companies that hold the licenses. Isn't it? 

OK now I just wish I hadn't said anything... but seriously, I'm not criticising, it was just an observation. Plus, if they are a big film score fan, they might want to hear a personal favourite golden age score brought back to life. Hell, they might enjoy the challenge of conducting it themselves (as Jerry, Joel McNeely, John Debney, Fernando Velasquez etc. have, even if they didn't stump up the money!). Relative to earning a couple of million quid a year, the cost of a re-recording is actually probably relatively marginal and you'd get at least some of your money back. As I say. An observation. Not a criticism. Ugh.

Its not surprising  J defends an obnoxious,

bullying post.Even those directed at posters BESIDES ME ( Tom G.)

He's the master of them.

Like Data he is still struggling with the human emotion known as " humor"

Btw Jay

I've known many professional musicians, in and out of film. Some , have  even become personal friends. I've found ALL of them to be respectful of me and the public...

You and Karel are the exceptions.

I don't care what you think of ME.

I wasn't defending anyone, I was pointing out facts.  I have provided no commentary on the posts between Karlem and Tom G, I am only talking about you.

You don't see the contradictory nature of you constantly insulting everyone here (and I only included the insults you typed out as text, and none of the image insults because I don't like looking at your potato quality images any more than I have to), then trying to have a serious conversation with someone from here at the same time? 

You blew your chance mate. 

You showed up here and annoyed everyone and you knew full well what you were doing.  Don't cry now that someone responded to you the way they did.  You asked for it with your entire persona you present to us here.  No one else to blame but yourself

4 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

OK now I just wish I hadn't said anything... but seriously, I'm not criticising, it was just an observation. Plus, if they are a big film score fan, they might want to hear a personal favourite golden age score brought back to life. Hell, they might enjoy the challenge of conducting it themselves (as Jerry, Joel McNeely, John Debney, Fernando Velasquez etc. have, even if they didn't stump up the money!). Relative to earning a couple of million quid a year, the cost of a re-recording is actually probably relatively marginal and you'd get at least some of your money back. As I say. An observation. Not a criticism. Ugh.

You have nothing to apologize for.

In fact, you are owed an apology

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wasn't defending anyone, I was pointing out facts.  I have provided no commentary on the posts between Karlem and Tom G, I am only talking about you.

You don't see the contradictory nature of you constantly insulting everyone here (and I only included the insults you typed out as text, and none of the image insults because I don't like looking at your potato quality images any more than I have to), then trying to have a serious conversation with someone from here at the same time? 

You showed up here and annoyed everyone and you knew full well what you were doing.  Don't cry now that someone responded to you the way they did.  You asked for it with your entire persona you present to us here.  No one else to blame but yourself

I said I was done with this.

Yet, you persist in extending it.

Some moderator you R.

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wasn't defending anyone, I was pointing out facts.  I have provided no commentary on the posts between Karlem and Tom G, I am only talking about you.

You don't see the contradictory nature of you constantly insulting everyone here (and I only included the insults you typed out as text, and none of the image insults because I don't like looking at your potato quality images any more than I have to), then trying to have a serious conversation with someone from here at the same time? 

You showed up here and annoyed everyone and you knew full well what you were doing.  Don't cry now that someone responded to you the way they did.  You asked for it with your entire persona you present to us here.  No one else to blame but yourself

He responded to EVERYONE like that.

You are incapable of being objective. Just like how you ignore the ninety percent of my serious , informed posts as label them as garbage.

You're complete lack of a sense of humour is on you and the rest who cant distinguish insults from humourous banter.

Judging from the many 😅 I get, you're in.the minority.

Oh...one more thing-

!

I freely give out COMPLIMENTS!.

I praised YOU for your spreadsheets, I even praised Holko, for his isolated scores.

But, that doesnt count😥