TROS vs HTTYD3: Which score is best?

Jurassic Shark

TROS vs HTTYD3: Which score is best?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. As part of the film

2. 2. Away from the film

Never really cared for the films (well, I've only seen the first), but I thought the first score was great. Refreshing, straightforward 'pap', with an orchestra playing in a popular music-type fashion, with simultaneous chord changes and whatnot. But the subsequent two have really just been regurgitations of that, and it's a sound that eventually wears out its welcome.

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

it's a sound that eventually wears out its welcome.

I like that analysis.  In my mind, it is why Williams and Goldsmith (and some others to a lesser extent) are in a different class.  Their sequel scores tend to be fresh, regardless of the iteration.  

I for the life or me cannot get myself to watch the third film. Though I did see the first 2. I liked the first. The second was trash. The third I literally can't be bothered to watch even the trailer. This is just children's film garbage - totally unsuitable for my age.

The DreamWorks Dragons trilogy is pretty great! All three movies are top notch, and yeah, HTTYD 2 should've won for Best Animation in 2014 instead of Big Hero 6, while Powell was inexplicably left out in favor of a score for a movie that nobody watched.

As movies, they're probably a stronger trilogy than the whole sequel trilogy, lol.

As for the poll, sorry JW, but I had to vote for The Hidden World on both options. TROS' score is great, but Abrams somehow managed it to sound pretty bland on the movie.

Only seen the first HTTYD movie when it came out, but I love all three scores. I think The Hidden World wins this one for me, but then again I haven't listened to TROS as much yet. 

I love the first two movies and scores. Hated the third movie, getting into the third score a lot slower than 1 and 2.

24 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I for the life or me cannot get myself to watch the third film. Though I did see the first 2. I liked the first. The second was trash. The third I literally can't be bothered to watch even the trailer. This is just children's film garbage - totally unsuitable for my age.

Nice try trying to appear grownup! ;)

As a completed score, HTTYD3 works within and without the film, relieved from the editorial mess that TRoS suffered. Because of that mess TRoS found itself in, I feel it's unfair to judge it as harshly as I might, but for the sake of this poll - it's just a shambles of a score, but a brilliant one nonetheless and one of my favourites of the saga.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

I like that analysis.  In my mind, it is why Williams and Goldsmith (and some others to a lesser extent) are in a different class.  Their sequel scores tend to be fresh, regardless of the iteration.  

Come now, both Williams and Powell established their own sound for the two franchises that if you criticize one, you have to criticize the other. Part of why I love Williams scores is that they sound a part of the sane universe - changes are noticeable over time - but it's more of the same Williams I love which is arguably why I like both scores presented in this poll. 

13 hours ago, Arpy said:

Come now, both Williams and Powell established their own sound for the two franchises that if you criticize one, you have to criticize the other. Part of why I love Williams scores is that they sound a part of the sane universe - changes are noticeable over time - but it's more of the same Williams I love which is arguably why I like both scores presented in this poll. 

I would say that is not the case with Williams.  ToD, for instance, sounds very different from IJ, but over time it all gets ingrained as the same musical broad brush.  When Galaxy's Edge came out, many people said (including on this board) that it does not sound like SW.  But again, over time once one gets acclimatized to it, it sounds like a perfect fit.  

I haven't seen How to Train Your Dragon 3, so I can't judge how's the score there. What I feel is that Wiliams gives more to a sequel than any other composer. The Rise of Skywalker has many more themes and motifs that one could expect, and that's 100% pure Williams. He keeps the identity with some themes and adds even more things.

I have only seen TROS, so I voted HTTYD3 for "as part of the film".

20 hours ago, Thor said:

I don't really care that much for either. Why is that not an option?

It doesn't add anything of relevance to a survey or poll.

24 minutes ago, Tom said:

I would say that is not the case with Williams.  ToD, for instance, sounds very different from IJ, but over time it all gets ingrained as the same musical broad brush.  When Galaxy's Edge came out, many people said (including on this board) that it does not sound like SW.  But again, over time once one gets acclimatized to it, it sounds like a perfect fit.  

Yeah, but then it's three films versus nine in this case. Williams isn't reinventing himself and neither is Powell which was my point.