John Williams to conduct the Cleveland Orchestra November 13 2022

Jay

I’m also coming from New York, but the City! Very excited. Still can’t believe I was able to guess the presale code and grab a front and center seat. Will be especially great since it seems Williams will be conducting this one entirely by himself, which is a rarity these days. The program still hasn’t been posted, but I called and they said that it would be all the usual classics. Going to be a great afternoon! 

8 hours ago, rpvee said:

The program still hasn’t been posted, but I called and they said that it would be all the usual classics.

7 hours ago, Amer said:

Where is the program?

2 hours ago, Andy said:

What do you mean by that?

Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster were Cleveland boys. They drew Cleveland to be Metropolis.

In The Death of Superman (either the comics or the novel, I don't remember) as Doomsday is making his way to "Metropolis" he's going through a lot of Ohio landmarks.

At the Israel Philharmonic’s concert tonight, it was shared that they attended Williams’ rehearsal with the Cleveland Orchestra this morning. Hearing that made tomorrow feel all the more real!

Is this going to be the first time that Williams performs one of his Mutter arrangements (Sabrina, presumably) with a different soloist? Has anybody other than Mutter (officially) played them yet with a different conductor?

40 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Is this going to be the first time that Williams performs one of his Mutter arrangements (Sabrina, presumably) with a different soloist? Has anybody other than Mutter (officially) played them yet with a different conductor?

Isn’t it the same 1997 arrangement that Itzhak Perlman performed on the Cinema Serenade album? I thought like Schindler’s List and Remembrances, it wasn’t a new arrangement.  

Williams has been performing a violin-centered version off and on over the years. It was performed at his 1998 London concerts, for example. 

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

So cool that Michael Sachs is still in Cleveland and playing the BOTFOJ solo.  Sachs is who JW wrote his Trumpet Concerto for nearly 30 years ago

I thought it was written for Arturo Sandoval? Or his he just the trumpeter that first recorded the concerto?  Update .. Nope, you’re right! 

Yep!  A violin-based concert arrangement of the theme to Sabrina has been around a while, he just tweaked it for Mutter's strengths

vs

48 minutes ago, pete said:

Isn’t it the same 1997 arrangement that Itzhak Perlman performed on the Cinema Serenade album? I thought like Schindler’s List and Remembrances, it wasn’t a new arrangement.

D'oh, I'd completely forgotten that this was also a previous arrangement. Mostly because it never made much impact on me (like the original OST version) until the ASM album succeeded in actually making me quite fond of it. As it really seems to be the same arrangement, and I don't think it's ASMs somewhat more urgent interpretation that makes a big difference for me, it's probably just the context of the album that helped make it click.

I had forgotten this was happening!  What a spry-looking Maestro!  And what a program!  That's a spectacular distillation of what's great about John WIlliams from the Seventies to the present and beyond.  I can't believe he did both Helena and Obi-Wan!  Has he ever conducted a theme for a not-yet-released movie at more than one concert?  And honestly, I was half-expecting the Obi theme to fade into history once the show hype subsided.

This also makes me wonder what, if anything, from The Fabelmans will make it into his orchestral concert repertoire.  Maybe a trimmed version of the end credits?  Strange, though, that a clean version of it wasn't on the OST.  That also could be a first.

I also find myself contemplating the fact this weekend that the latest Williams scoring projects we know of are now complete.  I wonder what he's doing now!

OK, bring on the videos, somebody!

11 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Scherzo for X Wings was so fast! I feel like folks usually complain it’s too slow. He played it much faster than the OST recording

It's so much better played fast, like the film version!

Not sure why he conducted the album version so slowly, it doesn't suit the piece at all. 

32 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

I have seen those at every concert I have attended there. I don’t necessarily think it means it was recorded or will be released. Here’s hoping, though

But one mic doesn't look like it was permanently installed at a fixed point. Here's to hope!

21 hours ago, rpvee said:

Wonderful evening!! Williams remarked that while he doesn’t do “Born on the Fourth of July” often, he wanted to hear the Cleveland Orchestra do it, especially Michael Sachs. He also ended the evening by coming out one more time after the iconic “sleepy hands” to say good night and that if the audience kept being so nice to him, he’d have to live to be 100!

Really strong performances. Helena’s Theme is even more beautiful live, and hearing Obi-Wan live again (this time prepared for it and not crying from a surprise appearance like at Celebration earlier this year) was fantastic. Sabrina’s Theme is also always so gorgeous and a strong inclusion.

Encores were Yoda’s Theme, Raiders March (not the abbreviated version - Marion’s Theme was intact!), and Imperial March.

This was my 23rd time seeing Williams conduct live, and my last one of the year. Until next time, Maestro!

C7FE0BDB-DF18-4938-B407-3F09454F336D.jpeg

0B82A909-7AA1-4173-9435-26E18DC070C1.jpeg

That is awesome!

Scherzo for X-Wings and The Duel were both a lot of fun! Also nice to get some less familiar works like Born on the Fouth of July and Far and Away. The Sabrina track was the only one that felt a bit out of place. Two encores is also a lot when it takes him 5 minutes to get across the stage :lol:. Thanks @rpvee for cracking the presale code.

29 minutes ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

Scherzo for X-Wings and The Duel were both a lot of fun! Also nice to get some less familiar works like Born on the Fouth of July and Far and Away. The Sabrina track was the only one that felt a bit out of place. Two encores is also a lot when it takes him 5 minutes to get across the stage :lol:. Thanks @rpvee for cracking the presale code.

27 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Yes! @rpvee You are the MVP for sharing the code. Thanks to you, I got to take some friends/family that I have long dreamed of sharing a JW concert with.

It was just a stupid lucky guess (I mean come on, "Williams"? Really? :lol:), but you're both welcome all the same! Glad we could all enjoy such a lovely and heart warming afternoon on a cold and wet day. :) 

9 minutes ago, Andy said:

One other observation you’ve all probably noticed. When he talks about the character or piece he’s about to conduct. He speaks of these storybook characters or (as in the case of The Duel) comic cartoon situations with such appreciation and real delight.  When he discusses Hedwig or Yoda or E.T., it’s with the enthusiasm and jubilation that only one with childlike wonder could possess.   Almost like a kid explaining the movie they just enjoyed to their parents.  This genius musician who writes serious concert hall concertos could just as easily look down his nose at the subject matter with disdain, but just the opposite.  For a man of almost 91, he has an infectious young heart. 

Agreed! The happiness with which he describes things like the captain cutting off the pirate's buttons (or something like that) during The Duel, and how proud he is of how that's accentuated that in the music, can only be described as adorable.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Damn. Now I want to hear The Throne Room with a choir!

There is an unofficial arrangement like that IIRC.