Clash of the Titans actor Harry Hamlin on the time he "auditioned" for the Indiana Jones role

Quintus

Geez, bit embarrassing for Spielberg... guess he has skeletons in his closet too. Wonder how many questions he asks JW about The Fury? :lol:

Wish Harry had said how the "audition" ended. Did Steven come down and say George couldn't make it, or did they have a "normal" audition afterwards to cover their tracks? Clearly something was amiss for Harry to eventually realise what was going on (or maybe this practice was widespread and everyone in the industry knew it was happening?)

Yeah, I read this the other day. I'll take 'stalking' with a grain of salt (but it would be ironic if he did, since Spielberg was himself victim of a stalker that nearly killed him).

By the way, Harry Hamlin will always be associated with LA LAW to me, not CLASH OF THE TITANS.

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I read this the other day. I'll take 'stalking' with a grain of salt (but it would be ironic if he did, since Spielberg was himself victim of a stalker that nearly killed him).

It was a jokey figure of speech. Spielberg was obviously pursuing Irving at the time, and the couple would later marry.

By the way, Harry Hamlin will always be associated with LA LAW 

Never saw it.

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

He was using a jokey figure of speech. Spielberg was obviously pursuing Irving at the time, and the couple would later marry.

I guess that by 1985 she was so tired of the stalking that she just said yes.

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It was a jokey figure of speech. Spielberg was obviously pursuing Irving at the time, and the couple would later marry.

Yes, I know. He probably meant it 'jokey', although in this day and age, a joke like that could easily be misconstrued.

Never saw it.

What? Aren't you my age? Back in the 80s, this was obligatory TV viewing on Friday nights in Norway.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, I know. He probably meant it 'jokey', although in this day and age, a joke like that could easily be misconstrued.

Easily. Isn't that sad. 

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

What? Aren't you my age? Back in the 80s, this was obligatory TV viewing on Friday nights in Norway.

I remember it being on one of the lesser terrestrial channels here, but it never interested me. Procedural, isn't it? 

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I remember it being on one of the lesser terrestrial channels here, but it never interested me. Procedural, isn't it? 

Yes. A pop cultural reference point even. Whenever I see LA LAW actors in films, I just can't help but think of their original LA LAW personas, be it Hamlin, Corbin Bernsen, Michael Tucker, Blair Underwood, Jimmy Smits (that's right, Bail Organa is all about LA LAW), Larry Drake and so on.

During Mad Men, I knew I recognised Hamlin's suave facial features from somewhere, but I couldn't remember where from. But I can see him in my mind now, in the LA Law clips. Younger.

Yeah, he was the 'handsome guy', as if pulled right out of DYNASTY or FALCON CREST or something.

I've yet to see MAD MEN. The premise/setting just doesn't seem that interesting to me, but like THE POST, I'm sure they've made the most out of it. I aim to set aside time for it at some point; I don't like to be out of the loop in terms of 'buzz' shows like that. Same goes for THE SOPRANOS too.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I've yet to see MAD MEN. The premise/setting just doesn't seem that interesting to me, but like THE POST, I'm sure they've made the most out of it. I aim to set aside time for it at some point; I don't like to be out of the loop in terms of 'buzz' shows like that. Same goes for THE SOPRANOS too.

Forget the advertising agency dressing (which I LOVE); Mad Men is, like the best of 'em, about much, much more than the surface. It's about the male condition. The most insightful meditation on it I've personally seen. From the point of view of the unintidated, the character of Don Draper appears to be this implausibly glam and successful personality with whom it's surely difficult to relate. He's quite off-putting, right? Unlikeable, even. But in reality, any man watching this series will come to see little parts of themselves in him, right across the engrossingly complicated expanse of the character.

Sorry for my pretentious wording btw, but there's no other way for me to try and distil what MM is in just a couple of words.

One of the greatest ever.

I only recognize Harry Hamlin from The first few seasons of Veronica Mars.  The fact that actors would go to an audition and make a cake while they wait is silly funny to me.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Forget the advertising agency dressing (which I LOVE); Mad Men is, like the best of 'em, about much, much than the surface. It's about the male condition. The most insightful meditation on it I've personally seen. From the point of view of the unintidated, the character of Don Draper appears to be this implausibly glam and successful personality with whom it's surely difficult to relate with. He's quite off-putting, right? Unlikeable, even. But in reality, any man watching this series will come to see little parts of themselves in him, right across the engrossingly complicated expanse of the character.

Sorry for my pretentious wording btw, but there's no other way for me to try and distil what MM is in just a couple of words.

One of the greatest ever.

Not pretentious wording at all. You make a good case for it.