Crazy woke Washington Post article claims that John Williams' STAR WARS music "reproduces harmful prejudices in pop culture"...

Tydirium

6 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

No, it's an effective way to identify viewpoints that are fundamentally more censorious than your own.

Sometimes, yes, like in the case of the article at hand, which I wouldn't hesitate to call "politically correct" myself. But way too often, it's being used only to invalidate an opposing opinion.

8 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

I had a friend recently accuse me of being racist just because I named my cat Gomez. I was bewildered by this ignorant assumption. When I pressed her on what the hell she meant by that, like how does my naming of my cat indicate that I harbour hatred towards I presume a latin ethnic group, she fumbled for an answer but made no sense. I mean is she only satisfied if I name my pets safe and approved English names or stereotypically cat names like Fluffy or Mittens? Gomez is just a nice name and I felt it suited him. My friend is a fucking idiot.

For all she knows, you could just be a big fan of The Addams Family. Sheesh. 

Quite a part of the outrage in this thread is especially in comparison to Falstaft's professionalism in another article. If someone considers this thread to be actually against Falstaft, I call Soviet gaslighting, where black is white, and white black.

13 hours ago, Larry O said:

God this is such a weird thing to even have to broach on a place like JWFan...

"Woke" simply means aware. That's it. "Stay Woke" is basically a call to pay attention to what's out there and looking to hurt you and yours. Over time it came to mean something more like "pay attention to political happenings and cultural movements seeking to make life worse for you or your friends," and through that usage, the term became first overused (as any popular bit of slang will) and eventually rendered meaningless by its transformation into a meme. At that point, it became demonized on top of losing its meaning, by people not just upset at the obnoxious overuse of the term, but also by the notion other people might actually believe in progressive ideas and movements, and whose cynical nature leaves them inclined to regard such statements or discussions as purely performative and "fake" for the sake of earning internet points from fellow "virtue signalers." 

At this point, the only people who still even use the term "Woke" are people who more or less the reject the entire concept of "Social Justice" (another term with a long history in America that has only recently become demonized and rendered useless by people made uncomfortable by its modern usage) and are mockingly/ironically deploying the term to diminish and demean the people who might have once earnestly used the descriptor.

I'm honestly really surprised how often this sort of ugly, antisocial, and dismissive discourse tends to pop up here, of all places, a site dedicated to enjoying the music of John Williams, but hopefully this might help a few people out? I don't know. But there are lots of ways - more constructive ways, as more than a few posters here have shown - to engage with how poorly thought-out and badly written this thinkpiece at the Post is than to indulge in... whatever all the rest of this ugly stuff is. 

Welcome to my ignore list for lack of logical reasoning, excess word-salad, and laughable label thinking.

Yes folks, from Disney/Amblin'! A digitally reconstructed and de-aged David Ogden Stiers

is John Williams!

Cheer, as Jason Robards as Ben Bradlee, kicks some serious ass!

Go "aaw" as The Maestro opens up a shop selling turtlenecks from ethically sourced, halal cotton!

Rage as a fat, black, disabled dyke says she doesn't think much of Star Wars!

Marvel as George Lucas' chin gets bigger and bigger!

Groan as Steven Spielberg gets whiter and whiter!

All this, and more in the most sensational, revisionist biopic of the decade:

I PASSED FOR WOKE!