The Force Awakens OST mix

Alex

Apologies if this has been covered but I was listening to TFA the other day and although I’ve always thought it sounded a bit different to TLJ, the release of TROS has made the difference even more jarring. I can’t really think of the appropriate word, the sound of TFA seems a bit less “full”, compared to the other sequel trilogy OSTs. Maybe it’s just my ears, but does anyone else think this?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s not new, of course, many people dislike the OST mix and much prefer the film/FYC mix. Others can’t hear a difference. To me it’s night and day from the very beginning.

OST:

FYC:

Personally I really enjoy the FYC and the Lockhart concert suite recording (“Lights, Camera… Music!”), and have no use for the OST anymore. I always found the OST unbearable, and I even had a hard time listening to OST/FYC compilations. Just the plain FYC is a really excellent listening experience.

8 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

It’s not new, of course, many people dislike the OST mix and much prefer the film/FYC mix. Others can’t hear a difference. To me it’s night and day from the very beginning.

OST:

FYC:

Personally I really enjoy the FYC and the Lockhart concert suite recording (“Lights, Camera… Music!”), and have no use for the OST anymore. I always found the OST unbearable, and I even had a hard time listening to OST/FYC compilations. Just the plain FYC is a really excellent listening experience.

This is it. The mix ain't right. All the tiny flourishes of the orchestra you hear in the FYC are muffled or buried in the OST. I don't have the musical vocabulary to articulate exactly what's wrong with it but the side-by-side comparison is a stark contrast to my ears.

1 hour ago, Kylo Ren said:

This is it. The mix ain't right. All the tiny flourishes of the orchestra you hear in the FYC are muffled or buried in the OST. I don't have the musical vocabulary to articulate exactly what's wrong with it but the side-by-side comparison is a stark contrast to my ears.

The OST does feel wetter than the FYC/Film mix(Y)