New Jerry Goldsmith Projects in 2020?

Brundlefly

The traditional thread for speculations about future Jerry Goldsmith releases of any kind - expansions, re-releases, re-recordings.

Releases that happened in 2017:

- Thriller re-recording by Tadlow

- Poltergeist II: The Other Side improved re-release by Intrada

- Papillon expansion by Quartet

- One Little Indian re-release by Intrada

- The Haunting expansion by Varese Sarabande

- Damnation Alley premiere release by Intrada

- The Russia House expansion by Quartet

Releases that happened in 2018:

- Rambo III improved re-release by Intrada

- Thriller 2 re-recording by Tadlow

- Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend improved re-release by Intrada

- 100 Rifles improved re-release/Rio Conchos re-release by La-La Land

- Small Soldiers expansion by Varese Sarabande

- The Mummy expansion by Intrada

- The Lonely Guy expansion and premiere CD release by Intrada

- The Reincarnation of Peter Proud premiere release by Intrada

Releases that happened in 2019:

- Warning Shot improved re-release/Archer premiere release by La-La Land

- Raggedy Man re-release by Varese Sarabande

- Barnaby Jones premiere release by La-La Land

- Planet of the Apes/Escape from the Planet of the Apes improved re-releases by La-La Land

- Air Force One expansion by Varese Sarabande

The Great Train Robbery improved re-release by Quartet

Releases that happened in 2020:

- The Swarm improved re-release by La-La Land

Morituri improved re-release by Intrada

U.S. Marshals expansion by Varese Sarabande

Take Her, She's Mine premiere release by Intrada

- Voage to the Bottom of the Sea expansion by La-La Land

The Don Is Dead premiere release by Intrada

- The Last Castle expansion by Intrada

- Van Ryan's Express/The Blue Max re-releases by La-La Land

- The Detective re-release/The Flim-Flam Man expansion by La-La Land

- Inchon improved re-release by Intrada

Potential Releases:

1. Looney Tunes: Back in Action - only OST exists, surefire seller
  2. Timeline - only OST exists, surefire seller
  3. Along Came a Spider - only OST exists, moderate seller
  4. Hollow Man - only OST exists, surefire seller
  5. The 13th Warrior - only OST exists, must be licensed out by Disney, surefire seller
  6. Mulan - only OST and FYC exists, must be licensed out by Disney, surefire seller
  7. L.A. Confidential - only OST exists, surefire seller
  8. 2 Days in the Valley - only OST exists, moderate seller
  9. Angie - only OST exists, moderate seller
  10. City Hall - only OST exists, good seller
  11. Love Field - only OST exists, good seller
  12. Malice - only OST exists, moderate seller
  13. Matinee - only OST exists, good seller
  14. Rudy - only OST exists, good seller
  15. Six Degrees of Separation - only OST exists, bad seller
  16. The Vanishing - expansion almost complete, moderate seller
  17. Medicine Man - only OST exists, must be licensed out by Disney, surefire seller
  18. Mr. Baseball - only OST exists, bad seller
  19. The Public Eye - no release exists, good seller
  20. Mom and Dad Save the World - only OST exists, moderate seller
  21. Not Without My Daughter - expansion almost complete, however: lost elements, bad seller
  22. Leviathan - only OST exists (potential expansion by Quartet), surefire seller
  23. The 'Burbs - expansion missing alternates, surefire seller
  24. Innerspace - expansion almost complete, surefire seller
  25. Lionheart - expansion already complete, surefire seller
  26. Legend - expansion almost complete, however: lost elements, must be licensed out by Silva, surefire seller
  27. Supergirl - expansion almost complete, must be licensed out by Silva, surefire seller
  28. The Final Conflict - expansion almost complete, surefire seller
  29. Caboblanco
  30. The Boys from Brazil - expansion already complete, surefire seller
  31. Damien: Omen II - expansion already complete, surefire seller
  32. MacArthur - only OST exists, surefire seller
  33. Twilight's Last Gleaming - expansion almost complete, good seller
  34. The Cassandra Crossing - expansion already complete, good seller
  35. High Velocity - expansion almost complete, good seller

Black = only OST or no release at all exists

Red = expanded, but not complete

Orange = complete, but in exigent need of a reissue or a remaster

Blue = any of those categories, owned in perpetuity by Varese Sarabande

Supergirl - seems unlikely, rights clusterfuck (even if it's a nightmare of sound issues that could be much improved upon)

Love Field - if only for Yavar drumming up support for it, it's not a great score but a pleasant one

The 13th Warrior - Varése knows this is a surefire seller

The Other - Fox, should be an easy one, and it's quite a good score, too

The Public Eye - rumored

Matinee - unnecessary, but probably easy to do

Hollow Man, Along came a Spider - same

The Don is Dead - ??

Shamus - please

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Very probables releases:

- Mulan (This will be expanded by Disney as part of the Legacy Collection and the upcoming remake is a great opportunity to realize that.)

Wait, is the Legacy Collection still going on? The last release was almost 2 years ago, isn't it?

Also, I don't think they are too timed with the release of the remakes. Last year we had the new Aladdin, but no Legacy Collection for the 1992 animation. New Beauty and the Beast came out in March 2017, but its Legacy Collection only almost an year later.

I would love an expanded Mulan, that's for sure, but... I'm not holding my breath.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Hollow Man, Along came a Spider - same

I would like an Hollow Man expansion for the aggressive brass moment, when the black lady gets strangled to death, alone.

6 hours ago, publicist said:

Botnick did the last Varése upgrades, and rather beautifully. I'm still high on Small Soldiers and The Haunting, which sound like they were recorded today.

oh yeah. My opinion of both scores was greatly improved by hearing them in complete form! Can’t wait to see what Varese has in store for us this year!

Yavar

13 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Releases that will probably not happen:

- Legend (lost master tapes)

What do YOU think?

I think Roger Feigelson hinted somewhere that new or more complete elements had been discovered for Legend.

edit: here it is

...The expanded Unicorns track was available on the original Film Trax CD and the Japanese CD. I have no idea why it was dropped from the expanded editions. There’s one more unreleased cue that I can think of. And those masters do exist.

On another note, I watched Seconds recently and was blown away by the score. As good as LLL's release was, I so wish that the original elements existed instead of having to rely on mono stems

There is not much left that one is eagerly waiting for, but from 1976-2004 there is theoretically a lot of stuff that could get a reissue or an expansion, be it needed or not:

1. Looney Tunes: Back in Action - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, surefire seller
  2. Timeline - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, surefire seller
  3. The Last Castle - only OST exists, potential expansion by Intrada, good seller
  4. Along Came a Spider - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller
  5. Hollow Man - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, surefire seller
  6. The 13th Warrior - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, surefire seller
  7. Mulan - only OST and FYC exists, perpetuity rights owned by Disney, surefire seller
  8. Fierce Creatures - OST is already complete (potential reissue), perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller
  9. L.A. Confidential - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, surefire seller
  10. Angie - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller
  11. City Hall - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller
  12. Love Field - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, good seller
  13. Malice - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller
  14. Matinee - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, good seller
  15. Rudy - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, good seller
  16. Six Degrees of Separation - only OST exists, potential expansion by La-La Land, moderate seller
  17. The Vanishing - expansion is already complete (potential reissue), perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller
  18. Medicine Man - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, surefire seller
  19. Mr. Baseball - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller
  20. The Public Eye - hitherto no release exists, potential release by Intrada or La-La Land, good seller
  21. Mom and Dad Save the World - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller
  22. Not Without My Daughter - expansion is almost complete, potential reissue or expansion by La-La Land, moderate seller - however: lost elements
  23. Leviathan - only OST exists, potential expansion by Quartet, surefire seller
  24. The 'Burbs - expansion is almost complete (potential reissue or further expansion), perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, surefire seller
  25. Criminal Law - OST is already complete (potential reissue), perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller
  26. Innerspace - expansion is almost complete, potential expansion by La-La Land (hinted at), surefire seller
  27. Lionheart - expansion is already complete, potential reissue by Intrada or La-La Land, surefire seller
  28. Legend - expansion is almost complete, potential reissue or expansion by Intrada or La-La Land, surefire seller - however: lost elements and tricky license situation
  29. Supergirl - expansion is almost complete, potential expansion by Intrada or La-La Land, surefire seller - however: tricky license situation
  30. The Final Conflict - expansion is almost complete, potential expansion by Intrada or La-La Land, surefire seller
  31. Caboblanco
  32. The Boys from Brazil - expansion is already complete, potential reissue by Intrada, surefire seller
  33. Damien: Omen II - expansion is already complete, potential reissue by La-La Land, surefire seller
  34. The Swarm - expansion is almost complete, potential expansion by La-La Land (hinted at), surefire seller
  35. MacArthur - only OST exists, potential expansion by Intrada, surefire seller
  36. Twilight's Last Gleaming - expansion is almost complete, potential expansion by Intrada or La-La Land, good seller
  37. The Cassandra Crossing - expansion is already complete, potential reissue by Intrada or La-La Land, good seller
  38. High Velocity - expansion is almost complete, potential expansion by Intrada or La-La Land, good seller

39 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

There is not much left that one is eagerly waiting for, but from 1976-2004 there is theoretically a lot of stuff that could get a reissue or an expansion, be it needed or not:

1. Looney Tunes: Back in Action
  2. Timeline
  3. The Last Castle
  4. Along Came a Spider
  5. Hollow Man
  6. The 13th Warrior
  7. Mulan
  8. Fierce Creatures
  9. L.A. Confidential
  10. Angie
  11. City Hall
  12. Love Field
  13. Malice
  14. Matinee
  15. Rudy
  16. Six Degrees of Separation
  17. The Vanishing
  18. Medicine Man
  19. Mr. Baseball
  20. The Public Eye
  21. Mom and Dad Save the World
  22. Not Without My Daughter
  23. Leviathan
  24. The 'Burbs
  25. Criminal Law
  26. Innerspace
  27. Lionheart
  28. Legend
  29. Supergirl
  30. The Final Conflict
  31. Caboblanco
  32. The Boys from Brazil
  33. The Swarm
  34. MacArthur
  35. Twilight's Last Gleaming
  36. The Cassandra Crossing
  37. High Velocity

This is plenty! And there's even more great stuff pre-1976!

A few notes though: High Velocity is one of my FAVORITE Goldsmith scores (though it's generally pretty overlooked), and I always thought from listening to the album that it sounded a bit disjointed, like there were missing cues/development in between. Well, I watched the film, and there was less than two minutes of unreleased music, all of it very low-key suspense music that was not among the best musically the score had to offer. I would still buy a complete release of course, but I found the existing album was improved greatly just by reshuffling all of the cues into film order, so the natural musical journey was intact.

Lionheart is virtually complete but could use a reissue...same goes for several other titles on your list.

Criminal Law I think was virtually complete and I don't know many people who would buy an expansion, even if one were possible. :) 

But over half of your list could really use an expansion IMO! So bring it on...

Yavar

32 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Criminal Law I think was virtually complete and I don't know many people who would buy an expansion, even if one were possible. :)

It's not the only title that has bad chances to sell well. Even I wouldn't buy expansion or reissues of all of those titles.

8 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

So how did you choose what to include on your list? :)

I listed every score that hasn't seen a release in a while and where's potential of updating the latest release. I added the a) current situation of the latest release, the b) license situation and probale label to release the title, and the c) estimated sales potential to the list. This is not a wish list of mine.

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I listed every score that hasn't seen a release in a while and where's potential of updating the latest release. I added the a) current situation of the latest release, the b) license situation and probale label to release the title, and the c) estimated sales potential to the list. This is not a wish list of mine.

Neat! I dig it... I just may be offering a few corrections here and there. :) And I think you should go earlier than High Velocity! It's not like that was remotely the year his music started being awesome (as much as I frickin' love High Velocity...)

Sooooooooooo goooood!

Yavar

17 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

1. Looney Tunes: Back in Action - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, surefire seller
  2. Timeline - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, surefire seller
  3. The Last Castle - only OST exists, potential expansion by Intrada, good seller
  4. Along Came a Spider - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller
  5. Hollow Man - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, surefire seller
  6. The 13th Warrior - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, surefire seller
  7. Mulan - only OST and FYC exists, perpetuity rights owned by Disney, surefire seller
  8. Fierce Creatures - OST is already complete (potential reissue), perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller

All correct, though it might also be helpful to add studio info -- for example, Varese would have to deal with Disney to expand things like The 13th Warrior and Medicine Man (being from the Disney-owned Touchstone Pictures and Hollywood Pictures, respectively), which might introduce complications. I think Varese themselves also hasn't expanded a Fox title in a while (LLL licensed Planet of the Apes this past year from both them and Fox). And most recently we have found out that Warner Bros. Pictures substantially increased their rates for licensing music from them (Warner Bros. Records is a separate entity and still friendly to sub-licensing the albums they control), so this will probably at least reduce the number of Warner Bros. expansions that are pursued by the labels, for a while. I think The Last Castle is very likely for us to see from Intrada in a significant expansion. Mulan Disney is still holding onto for now, though I think it's still possible they may let Intrada expand it in the future if they don't get their own act together in tackling it (they passed up an obvious opportunity this past year to produce a new definitive Aladdin when the live action remake happened, so the live action Mulan doesn't really signify anything at this point unfortunately).

Also from this time period we have Soarin' Over California (two cues unreleased; the "fill and spill music" as Bruce Broughton put it in my recent interview with him) and The Kid (written but not recorded by Goldsmith, but could potentially receive a premiere recording if someone Kickstarted it). 
And I assume you skipped over U.S. Marshals because it will imminently be announced! :) 

9. L.A. Confidential - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, surefire seller
Rudy - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, good seller

I for one think Rudy (a particularly widely beloved Goldsmith score) would likely outsell L.A. Confidential (the score is good but I think it's the film that's more beloved here), but that may just be me. That said, I also wanted to add that both of these actually have virtually complete officially licensed score releases -- as DVD isolated score tracks! :) Now, that's going to be in lossy audio (no Blu-ray iso score tracks), but at least it's something and I've been enjoying my complete score rips of these for some time. Still, I would of course buy an official CD expansion.

10. Angie - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller

11. City Hall - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller
Love Field - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, good seller

13. Malice - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller
Matinee - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, good seller

I think sales for City Hall would be closer to Love Field and Matinee than Angie and Malice, personally. People like Jerry in noir mode, and I personally think the score is superior to L.A. Confidential. Love Field is by far my highest priority of these (http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7704), but it would be wonderful to get an official complete 72 minute Matinee in good sound quality because the boot is only barely enjoyable thanks to its inferior sound quality (not nearly as bad as the Mom and Dad Save the World sessions tape though). Since Varese has been working to expand all the Goldsmith/Dante scores they control, I feel certain they will eventually get around to the last two (this and Looney Tunes, although Warner Bros. Pictures might be an issue for the latter).

What we know about unreleased music for these:
Angie (more missing than I expected, though I haven't timed it yet): https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=138083&forumID=1&archive=0

City Hall (about 12 minutes): https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=110759&forumID=1&archive=0

Love Field (hard to calculate since there are alternates and many cues unused in the film and also omitted from the album):
https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=138078&forumID=1&archive=0
Malice (only 7 minutes unreleased in the film): https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=110814&forumID=1&archive=0
Matinee: as I mentioned, there's a 72 minute sessions boot. Here's a great unreleased action cue Roger at Intrada shared:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/63xpcoqz1um2rkd/Number 4.mp3?dl=0

Also around this time but left off your list: his rejected noir score to 2 Days in the Valley. What Intrada released on CD was the original album arrangement (aborted at the time when the score was rejected from the film), not the complete score. I don't know how much longer the complete score might be; the track titles Intrada used were not the official ones but ones made up by a fan (for the bootleg) years before, and I think there are combined cues, so it's hard to figure out since none of the score was used in the film!

And finally we have the one other score Jerry is known to have written but not recorded... and this is officially my most-wanted Goldsmith Kickstarter project, if anyone is brave enough to tackle it!
babescore.jpg

As I wrote on FSM already,

Not to be confused with the 70s TV movie he scored (and which FSM already released complete), this is the score he wrote to the 90s George Miller-penned film about a pig who learns to herd sheep, starring James Cromwell as his farmer. Don't be fooled by the premise if you've never seen it: it is a wonderful and unique film, with some really dark elements from time to time. Apparently it was an even darker film in its original longer cut, which is supposedly the cut Jerry scored. Sadly, we know for a fact now from my interview with Robert Townson that Jerry never got to record a single note of his score. He was all set to fly to Melbourne to record it but the recordings were cancelled at the last minute and Robert took the opportunity to have Jerry work on a classic film score recording instead, with the available time in his schedule. Hear the full story here in this two part interview, if you're curious:
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1301242-odyssey-interviews-robert-townson-part-1
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1361503-odyssey-interviews-robert-townson-part-2

We have heard that Jerry completed writing somewhere between 75-90% of the score, as spotted. But how many cues did he actually write, and how long were they? This we now know for the first time (and we also know his official cue titles), thanks to the Academy's new online listings of their library holdings, which include everything he wrote for this film (as well as many others)!
http://collections.new.oscars.org/Details/Archive/71303062

1-3r "The Drawing," 7 pages
1-4/2-1 "Lonely Babe," 9 pages
2-2r "What Dogs Do," 2 pages
2-3 "The Plan," 6 pages
3-1 "The Yarn," 4 pages
3-2 "The Sneeze," 3 pages
3-4/4-1 "Destruction," 4 pages
4-3 "Mother and Son," 7 pages
4-5 "Christmas Dinner," 2 pages
4-6 "Ferdie's Gone," 3 pages
5-2 "Mistaken Identity," 3 pages
5-3 "The Boss," 16 pages
6-1 "The Bite," 2 pages
6-2 "The Story of Rex," 11 pages
6-3 "A Tragic Day," 2 pages
7-4 "Pig of Destiny," 1 page
7-5/8-1 "Ferdie's Back," 5 pages

17 cues total, some of them quite substantial! Interesting to see where in the film he stopped composing, and a shame he didn't get to finish the story. But even so...who besides me would be up for a Kickstarter to fund a complete premiere recording of this score? I frankly can't think of any other Goldsmith recording project that would get me more excited, unless perhaps his unfinished cello concerto "Quadrants" were uncovered!

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=138063&forumID=1&archive=0

Yeah, this could be awesome. And if The Kid is a lesser score, then highlights from it (rather than the complete score) could be used to fill out a premiere recording of this one, on CD.

16. Six Degrees of Separation - only OST exists, potential expansion by La-La Land, moderate seller

This is Goldsmith's second shortest film score out of his entire career, after Seven Days in May. According to FSM poster DavidCorkum,

the entire score in the film is about 15 minutes, with 2 short cues totaling around 1 minute unreleased.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=123773&forumID=1&archive=0
But I only notice a single unreleased cue when I look at the written cues in the Academy archives:
http://collections.new.oscars.org/Details/Archive/71303016

Of course their collection may not include alternates or unused cues, but in any case I wouldn't expect an expansion of this very short score anytime soon. The original album was padded out with dialogue clips specifically because it would have been a 15 minute CD otherwise (and I guess Jerry didn't think of simply writing more music for the album at the recording sessions, as he did with Fierce Creatures later).

17. The Vanishing - expansion is already complete (potential reissue), perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller

Justin Boggan at FSM claims that the Varese Club album of this is actually *not* quite complete; that there are at least some significant alternates or unused cues they left off. I don't know any further details though, but a "Deluxe Edition" may still be possible one day.

18. Medicine Man - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, surefire seller

Disney would have to license additional cues as I already mentioned, but this is one of my personal most wanted expansions, even though only around 15 minutes are unreleased:
https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=109823&forumID=1&archive=0

19. Mr. Baseball - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller

Haha I think even "moderate seller" is optimistic on this one; people love hating on it, even though I think it has some wonderful elements especially the love theme. I recently figured out though that only four short cues are unreleased, so it's *very* low priority even for me the obsessive completist:
https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=138082&forumID=1&archive=0

20. The Public Eye - hitherto no release exists, potential release by Intrada or La-La Land, good seller

Yeah this is the one remaining unreleased rejected 90s Goldsmith score that we know *was* recorded, and the tapes apparently recently discovered in Carol Goldsmith's possession with recording engineer Mike Ross-Trevor's help. I believe a label is actively working on this one right now.

21. Mom and Dad Save the World - only OST exists, perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller

I friggin' LOVE this score and the existing sessions boot sounds *very* poor, too poor to really enjoy the score apart from recognizing its quality! I think of this one as an honorary Joe Dante score; it is full of delightful energy and fun, with some really exciting parts. It might be a "moderate seller" but I for one would be over the moon to get it.

22. Not Without My Daughter - expansion is almost complete, potential reissue or expansion by La-La Land, moderate seller - however: lost elements

This is literally the only unreleased cue I'm fairly certain (but it might be the best one Jerry wrote for this project); the film version of the finale (which was almost certainly recorded on its own in a pick up session, and might be found in the future):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/996won8iqu3uv1h/Number 6.mp3?dl=0

To close out Jerry's unreleased 90s work, we must mention two wonderful themes he composed for projects where his son Joel handled the other scoring duties:

I'll address the pre-90s work later when I have time. :) 

Yavar

23 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

This is Goldsmith's second shortest film score out of his entire career, after Seven Days in May. According to FSM poster DavidCorkum.

It could be released in the bonus section of another score that has enough space left (on CD 1 or CD 2).

23 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

And I assume you skipped over U.S. Marshals because it will imminently be announced! :) 

I will remain optimistic and not change it back now. :(

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

It could be released in the bonus section of another score that has enough space left (on CD 1 or CD 2).

Yes, that's *possible*, but I think the existing album release might complicate that some, because Warner Bros. Records (i.e. Warner Music Group) probably maintains rights to the original album on Elektra. So in order to be able to release the complete score of just 15 minutes, there would be still an extra added expense of having to pay an additional licensor. Maybe it'll happen some day but I'd be surprised if any label prioritized it, just to add one or two extra short cues. I guess we will see though!

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

I will remain optimistic and not change it back now. :(

Eh, it seems like it will have to wait until the next Varese batch at least (though yay for Dolores Claiborne: The Deluxe Edition!) so I personally would add it back into your list, with the caveat (as with The Swarm) that we know from Bruce Botnick that a new definitive release of it is coming soon....now returning to address the rest of your list:

On 1/15/2020 at 4:24 PM, Brundlefly said:

23. Leviathan - only OST exists, potential expansion by Quartet, surefire seller

This could presumably come from anyone who is able to deal with the Italian company which has possession of the complete score multitracks. Quartet being based in Spain *might* have better access than any of our American labels, but I've heard they've been trying for many years with no success so far. So we'll have to keep hoping. At least we know the score survives...unlike the complete scores for Under Fire, Legend, Link, and Secret of NIMH earlier in the decade...all but one of which (Legend) you left off this list, presumably for that very reason. But things turn up all the time that we'd been told were lost (think Williams's Dracula), so I'm going to still maintain hope on those four. Link at least has a bootleg release with the missing cues, albeit in poor sound quality (about the same condition as the unreleased music on the Legend boot). I think someone at FSM catalogued all of the cues still unreleased from Secret of NIMH, though I think it amounted to less than ten minutes. Here's a complete cue list for Under Fire, for those interested:
http://collections.new.oscars.org/Details/Archive/71303030

24. The 'Burbs - expansion is almost complete (potential reissue or further expansion), perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, surefire seller

25. Criminal Law - OST is already complete (potential reissue), perpetuity rights owned by Varese Sarabande, moderate seller

I'm not sure we know for certain that Varese has Criminal Law in perpetuity, since they released it in the 80s before they started getting perpetuity rights on almost everything they licensed. Still, it is *probably* complete already and assuming it's complete, I don't think warrants a new edition. The 'Burbs I would definitely re-buy again even if it just added some film versions of cues or something. Love that score to death. Also in the late 80s Jerry had his first experience with score rejection, on the film Wall Street (for which he originally wrote the theme he later re-used in his rejected score to Alien Nation, and ultimately The Russia House. It is unknown how much music he composed for Wall Street besides that theme, but it may have just been a few cues or demos (nothing recorded).

26. Innerspace - expansion is almost complete, potential expansion by La-La Land (hinted at), surefire seller

34. The Swarm - expansion is almost complete, potential expansion by La-La Land (hinted at), surefire seller

Yeah I think MV has confirmed both of these will be getting definitive reissues by LLL. So if you leave U.S. Marshals off this list as you did above, you probably might as well leave these off as well (and both got expanded, pretty much complete, releases anyway).

27. Lionheart - expansion is already complete, potential reissue by Intrada or La-La Land, surefire seller

30. The Final Conflict - expansion is almost complete, potential expansion by Intrada or La-La Land, surefire seller

So this isn't entirely accurate...first, Lionheart has never gotten an expansion really. What it got instead was an unusual "Volume Two" which had the remainder of the score (plus a repeat of the finale cue tacked onto the second half of the track "The Future") left off the initial volume, released not long before it. Varese *did* put out a digital "Deluxe Edition" with a nice new cover for iTunes, but it was just a port of those same two discs, not remastered and put into film order. So IMO we could really use a new edition on CD. We are also still missing a *little* bit of music, as the aforementioned cue ("The Future") crossfades into the repeated finale cue... so a little bit of it is missing and a new edition could premiere the full "discrete" ending of that cue, plus any alternates or unused cues that might exist. We know from my interview with him that Robert Townson (not Varese) controls the rights for both Lionheart and The Final Conflict, under his own Masters Film Music label (which has fallen dormant again ever since Joe Vs. the Volcano: The Big Woo Edition was released in a Varese Club batch several years ago). So presumably if he felt like it he could either start up his film music label again and release definitive editions of both, OR he might be willing to sub-license the titles to Intrada or La-La Land, sure (but I wouldn't take that for granted).

28. Legend - expansion is almost complete, potential reissue or expansion by Intrada or La-La Land, surefire seller - however: lost elements and tricky license situation

29. Supergirl - expansion is almost complete, potential expansion by Intrada or La-La Land, surefire seller - however: tricky license situation

Rumors are that Silva Screen recently let go of the rights for Supergirl (as it turned out they had for Rambo: First Blood Part II) which they held for many years because of their 90s expansion of the score. So we might be due for a remastered definitive 2-CD edition of that score, with all alternates. As far as I know they still control Legend, but the complete score only survives on a very poor bootleg. (Producer of the Silva Screen expanded album for the score in the 90s, James Fitzpatrick, said that they included everything on the source they had.)

31. Caboblanco

This is one where I have no idea if the Prometheus release was the complete score. Their release of High Velocity around the same time period was not, but it was only missing less than 2 minutes of low-key suspense music. I will have to watch the film sometime and double-check to see whether they left any music off with this score. I really like it though, and would buy a new edition since it's been like a quarter century since the last release!

32. The Boys from Brazil - expansion is already complete, potential reissue by Intrada, surefire seller

Yeah the existing Intrada release for this was already pretty much definitive (and I think was limited to a generous 5000 copies at the time), but I agree with you that they might reissue it at some point.

33. Damien: Omen II - expansion is already complete, potential reissue by La-La Land, surefire seller

I don't think LLL can reissue this unless they sub-license it from Varese, which completely premiered the film recording of the score for their Deluxe Edition. Varese wouldn't maintain control of the album recording (the only Omen score to get a unique recording for album), but what we need most is a new edition of the film recording which improves the sound quality somewhat (a couple cues show some damage that might be repairable by Mike Mattesino with more modern tech than was available at the time of the DE, if he were let loose on it...)

35. MacArthur - only OST exists, potential expansion by Intrada, surefire seller

This is one where I'm unsure if the OST was a unique album re-recording instead of the film recording (as was the case with Patton). Intrada does seem most likely to tackle a definitive edition, but really any label that works with both Universal Music Group and Universal Pictures can license this to do that, and La-La Land has recently started putting out a lot of vintage Universal titles, such as Williams's Earthquake, which they had to license from both UMG (for the album recording) and Universal Pictures (for the film recording).

36. Twilight's Last Gleaming - expansion is almost complete, potential expansion by Intrada or La-La Land, good seller

37. The Cassandra Crossing - expansion is already complete, potential reissue by Intrada or La-La Land, good seller

38. High Velocity - expansion is almost complete, potential expansion by Intrada or La-La Land, good seller

These are all lower priority for me, to be honest. I guess I'd be most interested in a new edition of Twilight's Last Gleaming because I don't own any version currently, and on FSM I've heard about one short cue at least that was recorded at a late pick-up session and is supposed to be the highlight of the entire score! But I'm pretty sure that at most there is less than five minutes of unreleased music for this one.

The Cassandra Crossing was in Prometheus's final batch of expanded original recordings (before they became solely a source of funding for Tadlow re-recordings), about a decade ago. I think it's as definitive as posslble, unless someone wanted to let Mike Mattesino loose on the sound, or if stereo sources for the complete score are found (they presented the original album in stereo on one disc, and the complete score in mono on the other).

High Velocity, as I've already noted above, is one of my favorite Goldsmith scores and I always thought there were missing cues. Turned out that it just felt that way because the album jumbles the film cues all out of order so that their natural development/flow isn't maintained. I'd buy a new edition of the score for that reason alone, because the couple minutes of unreleased suspense music are really nothing to write home about. Here is a complete cue list for those interested: http://collections.new.oscars.org/Details/Archive/71302967

I'll add two scores from the post-1976 period which you left off your list but which deserve mention I think:
Raggedy Man - Varese controls this in perpetuity but recently reissued it without any extra music. This is probably because the unreleased music is very minimal for the score. Here is a complete cue list for comparison: http://collections.new.oscars.org/Details/Archive/71303004

Damnation Alley - The complete orchestral tapes did survive for Intrada's great release of the score, but most of the synth elements remained lost and had to be recreated anew by Leigh Phillips. Maybe some day they will be discovered and we will get the full film recording at last, but until then it's amazing that Intrada paid for the expense of re-recording this important part of the score so that the entire composition could be released on disc.

I'll continue backwards with pre-1976 scores in a later post...

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...

Time to continue working back earlier in the 1970s (why stop at High Velocity in your list, Brundlefly? As awesome as that score is, it's not as if the awesomeness started there...)

Ransom - Presumably the complete score is lost and the (sadly poor-sounding) LP tracks as released by Prometheus are all that's available. Not sure if there's a ton of interest in a complete re-recording of this one, but it IS a favorite of Luc's (@ Prometheus) and since he's funded three amazing Tadlow Goldsmith recordings (Hour of the Gun, The Salamander, and QBVII complete) it's possible we might see it some day. I did a complete score breakdown for this but need to match it up to the album to see just how much is missing, but there are definitely some highlight cues left off, which is frustrating since the album (not produced by Jerry) *repeats three cues*! (ARGH!) We got an idea of how good this score could sound, too, since Tadlow did include a suite (all music on the original album) from the score as a bonus on their release of The Salamander. Music this good deserves to be heard in uncompromised sound:

Medical Story - Was the whole of Goldsmith's contribution included on the Prometheus Police Story release? I've heard differing stories about him only contributing a theme, but clearly Prometheus included a lot more than just a theme in their suite from the pilot score, and IMO it all sounds like Goldsmith and totally badass!

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Varese only released half of this lovely TV movie score on their Goldsmith at Fox box. Multiple lovely cues are unreleased, including this brief one FSM user "zooba" put on Youtube (I myself have heard the complete score and it is all of the same lovely quality as the released 15 minutes): 

S*P*Y*S - While a substantial 19 minute suite was included on the Fox Box, this would make a great standalone reissue with any remaining music, plus John Scott's score for the international version, if tapes for it can be found. I know many make fun of this score but I think of it as an early zany proto-Joe Dante score delight. I recently uncovered a complete cue list for Jerry's score, and discovered quite a good chunk of unreleased music. My findings are posted a little ways down this thread on the score, if you are interested: https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=126278&forumID=1&archive=0

Indict and Convict (ABC TV, produced by Universal) - the main and end titles sound very promising:

so too does this key cue (about two and a half minutes long, starting a couple minutes into the film clip): 

Good stuff, right? Sure would be nice to hear it in great quality sound like LLL gave us this past year on Archer and Barnaby Jones...

Yavar

Finishing off the 1970s...

Shamus (Columbia -> Sony Pictures) - Lukas said the following a couple years ago in his comments for FSM's The Last Run release when he went through with his reminiscences for all the remaining FSM catalogue: "I love this era of Goldsmith's 'mod' writing--'Border Crossing' from The Last Run is a prime example. Unfortunately two of the better scores in this style, Shamus and the ABC TV movie Pursuit, are kaput as far as master tapes." If somehow original tapes are discovered (hey, it happens!) I suspect Intrada will put them out. Otherwise a re-recording would be our best bet. Really catchy fun score so I hope it gets premiered some day!

The Don Is Dead (Universal) - fairly obscure and not often asked about, but it's one of the few remaining totally unreleased Goldsmith scores that we haven't heard is "lost", so if the tapes survive I'm sure it'll come out from one of the labels with a relationship with the studio, maybe in the special new "Heritage" series on LLL or Varese (and Intrada has a good history with Universal as well).

The Waltons - According to Lukas Kendall some years back, none of this material survives aside from the pilot telefilm "The Homecoming" which FSM released. This is very unfortunate as a lot of good material was written for the series (I think seven original episode scores by Goldsmith!), some of it better than the pilot score (which didn't even have the famous theme) in my opinion. So far I have done one complete score breakdown -- for The Ceremony, one of the most praised Goldsmith scores of the series (many cues are in his "Jewish style" like in QBVII, Masada, and The Going Up of David Lev): 
http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=117025&forumID=1&archive=0

Pursuit - totally unreleased save for one track of the theme re-recorded by Silva. Perhaps that bodes well for James Fitzpatrick tackling the rest of the score in a Tadlow re-recording? But he seems to have stopped for health reasons after recording Rozsa's King of Kings. :( As noted above for Shamus, the tapes are apparently "kaput" so there would be no competition with an original tracks release. Oh, and if anyone is worried about a re-recording being unable to capture the 70s feel of the originals, Mr. Fitzpatrick has said that wouldn't be a problem. Based on the results of the Hour of the Gun pop theme arrangement, I'm inclined to believe him. And replicating the synthesizers on The Salamander was perfectly well done. I have done "Advance Liner Notes" and a complete score breakdown of this here:
https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=117275&forumID=1&archive=0
Full movie on YouTube:

The Man (ABC, but Paramount theatrically overseas) -- Though tapes are reputed to be lost, perhaps we can get Tadlow's James Fitzpatrick (or Luc of Prometheus) to consider funding a new recording of this brief score (less than 15 minutes in the film), as filler for a new recording of a longer score. I watched the film recently and did a complete score breakdown, complete with detailed track by track notes, here:
http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=113568&archive=0

And here's the full film on YouTube for those interested (the Main Title starts just before 7 minutes in)!

Anna and the King - while 16 minutes were included on the Varese Fox Box, they were from three episodes and that fact combined with some comments in the liner notes make me suspect Goldsmith recorded more for this series, which hopefully will be released complete in the future...maybe even including some of the music written by other composers for the series, since I've heard some of it and it's quite good too! My money's on Intrada pairing it with A Tree Grows in Brooklyn someday.

The Other (Varese / Fox) - In the mid-90s, Varese put out a 20 minute single track "suite" of this as a bonus on their release of The Mephisto Waltz, but even that was enough for them to control this title in perpetuity, as Bruce Kimmel sadly revealed since he desperately wanted to put out the complete score on Kritzerland. Thankfully, Twilight Time did give us a "complete" isolated score track on their Blu-ray release of the film, bringing the released length of the score above 40 minutes, but, as with the Flint scores, their iso track maintained any film edits to cues so even it isn't truly "complete" as recorded. We need a new release with every note recorded for this wonderful score!

The Mephisto Waltz (Varese / Fox) - While Varese's 90s issue of this was "complete", it was in fact missing certain overlays (and possibly alternates). Two decades of new technology could probably also render some great sound improvements in the hands of someone like Michael Mattesino, as he did with the Planet of the Apes scores, which LLL successfully sub-licensed from both Fox and Varese.

The Last Run - according to Lukas Kendall himself the tapes are definitely lost, which is why he only released the album recording on FSM. At least in this case the album recording is virtually complete and very faithful to the film recording! I'm guessing a re-recording is therefore unlikely for this, but if the original tapes were discovered I would definitely re-buy.

Crawlspace (CBS) - I don't believe it's ever been confirmed that the original recording for this is lost, but despite being one of Goldsmith's BEST unreleased works, no one has put it out yet so that doesn't bode well. I did a complete score breakdown with "advance liner notes" here (also with links to the film on YouTube):
http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=116952&forumID=1&archive=0

Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate (ABC -> Disney?) - ditto, though I found this score much less interesting: 
http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=116974&forumID=1&archive=0

Lights Out (NBC) - I think this was a horror pilot for a show that never went to series. It's something the Goldsmith Odyssey has been searching for on video, for some time now. It would be neat if someone released the score even while the program itself is MIA (as has happened occasionally, like with The Lineup, Archer, or The Going Up of David Lev). Clearly some people on IMDb have seen it and remember it fondly:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068857/

The Ballad of Cable Hogue - I've heard the Varese Club release is missing a few cues; if so I would expect Intrada to revisit this at some point, but what gives me pause is that this is one of the few Club titles which Varese is continuing to sell digitally, so they may have (unusually for a limited edition Club release) secured perpetuity rights on it.

Well that's it for that decade! See you next time as we journey into the 60s, starting with one of Jerry's very best scores to be sadly lost in terms of original tapes: The Chairman!

Yavar

• 3 weeks later...

Two items to add to the list of unreleased Goldsmith from the 1970s -- a couple of "lost" pilots which never made it to series.

The Best of Times (Fox TV) - unsold, unaired 1974 pilot starring Topol. I found this recently while searching the UCLA archives online. If you live in L.A. you might be able to visit and view a copy of this program at their library! It sounds as it if might fit alongside the wonderful "Going Up of David Lev", as intimate Goldsmith TV scoring in his "Jewish mode":
First listing: https://cinema.library.ucla.edu/vwebv/holdingsInfo?searchId=137&recCount=50&recPointer=34&bibId=143501 

Second listing: https://cinema.library.ucla.edu/vwebv/holdingsInfo?searchId=137&recCount=50&recPointer=259&bibId=159724 

Prudence and the Chief (Fox TV) - this one I've had the good fortune to see, and can report that Jerry wrote an absolutely fantastic and thrilling western score for this 1970 TV retelling of the Anna and the King story, another pilot that didn't go to series. It features a cool proto-version of the John Wayne theme from Rio Lobo (from later that same year), as well as a "Native American" theme for the Chief which recalls the excellent Lonely Indian theme he wrote for Rio Conchos more than half a decade before. I can't wait to share this with folks on The Goldsmith Odyssey, though it'll be a while before we arrive at it. Maybe Intrada or some other label can release the score before we get that far.

I still plan on tackling the 60s but I need to work a few other rare items people don't know about into the list, first.

Yavar

On 2/20/2020 at 2:14 PM, Brundlefly said:

Waiting for any label to take action...

I know for certain that multiple labels are hard at work on more Goldsmith releases. We'll all just have to be patient and wait and see what they are. :) 

Yavar

• 4 weeks later...

The Final Conflict - expansion is almost complete, potential expansion by Intrada or La-La Land, surefire seller

- I believe the perpetuity Masters lie with Robert Townsons own Film Music Masters label. 

Leviathan - only OST exists, potential expansion by Quartet, surefire seller

- The rights for this exists only with the Italian company that produced the movie. They wont let go of these rights. Not even to Quartet records (to date)

There’s a new Jerry Goldsmith release today, though it’s not audio: Omni Music Publishing announced their second Goldsmith title (they’ve previously published Total Recall), Basic Instinct in full score, now available to order:

https://omnimusicpublishing.com/product/jerry-goldsmiths-basic-instinct-full-orchestral-score/

79CE66F5-141D-4CA3-8755-49A4EFEBF748.jpeg

As far as Varese goes, I'd be happy if they tackled LA Confidential or re-did The Burbs next.

Outside Varese, I'd be happiest with Mulan, Legend, and Supergirl.

You forgot to remove The Swarm from the list at the bottom of your main post