New Jerry Goldsmith Projects in 2020?

Brundlefly

It's either lossy, incomplete or lastly remastered before my date of birth, so I'm happy with complaining, until a proper and decently priced release will get to see the light of the day.

I'll wait for the inevitable expansion to finally check it out.  Worked great for The Swarm, I listened to the LLL release yesterday and really dug it

• 4 weeks later...

Note to @Brundlefly -- Morituri could be considered an expansion because it restores a minute of music which was micro-edited out of the FSM release due to too much wow/damage.

Also Intrada is releasing a Goldsmith PREMIERE (Take Her, She's Mine) in an hour or two, which is pretty exciting since I don't know how many of these we have left:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ard10psremh5c72/Number 12.mp3?dl=0

EDIT: More samples here on the purchase page:
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12179/.f?sc=13&category=22848

Goldsmith in Mancini mode! Lightweight bit of fluff, for sure, but fun and rather delightful. Jerry's second score for 20th Century Fox, considered lost and unsalvageable for over a decade and a half (read the Varese box liner notes).
EDIT: It seems that a bit of the score remained unsalvageable, but we still have gotten more ("nearly all") than we ever expected:
"There's only a handful of Goldsmith scores that have yet to be released in any form, and the music elements for this title were long thought damaged beyond use. But with advances in technology and the meticulous work of restoration expert Chris Malone, Intrada is able to present nearly all of Goldsmith's score in stereo. Malone had to restore the audio of each channel separately to get the wondrous results heard here. Rather than compromise the naturally wide instrumental spread, which was never intended for a stereo mix, Intrada also offers a mono presentation of the program as heard in the film."
http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8430

Yavar

• 1 month later...

@Brundlefly, to add to your 2020 list...

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea "Jonah and the Whale" expansion by La-La Land!

And that's not all...according to Jeff Bond who produced this set,

I believe there are 13 scores included in the set and are presented as complete as we could make them, for about five hours worth of music. There were a couple of third season scores where only a couple cues survived but we included those because they comprised some very familiar music from the show. There's also a previously unknown main and end title by Jerry Goldsmith that was never used on the show--at least in this form. There should be a complete track list and samples up on the La-La-Land site soon.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=140523&forumID=1&archive=0

HOLY SHIT!!!

EaBRMa4VAAAmKSg?format=jpg&name=small

I for one can't wait to see a tracklist!
I reiterate: LOST (previously unknown to even exist) JERRY GOLDSMITH SCIENCE FICTION THEME TO BE PREMIERED ON THIS SET!!!

Yavar

Did Goldsmith score any other episodes besides Jonah and the Whale, which was in the GNP Irwin Allen boxset?

13 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I reiterate: LOST (previously unknown to even exist) JERRY GOLDSMITH SCIENCE FICTION THEME TO BE PREMIERED ON THIS SET!!!

I presume since Jeff stipulated "a previously unknown main and end title by Jerry Goldsmith that was never used on the show--at least in this form" means it was tracked into an episode or multiple episodes as underscore, or at least part of it was.

9 hours ago, pete said:

Did Goldsmith score any other episodes besides Jonah and the Whale, which was in the GNP Irwin Allen boxset?

Nope, but that set did not present his score in complete form. I *think* for this LLL release they are including everything Goldsmith recorded for Voyage.

Yavar

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2020 at 4:44 AM, Brundlefly said:

Voage to the Bottom of the Sea premiere release by La-La Land

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea isn’t a premiere release. GNP previously released (on a single disc) Goldsmith’s sole effort for the series (“Jonah and the Whale”, the season two premiere which was the first series episode in color) along with the Sawtell pilot score. LLL included the latter unexpanded on their latest 4 CD box set (apparently the GNP program is all the music that survives from season one of the show...a shame since it included some excellent scores by Morton — not Leith — Stevens and Hugo Friedhofer), but the Goldsmith program they *were* able to expand by 5-6 minutes! That’s actually pretty significant considering the total length of the score. I think the GNP has about 18 minutes of his music.

Anyhow, I actually came back to bump this thread for the announcement of one of the most important totally unreleased Goldsmith feature film scores remaining:

image.jpeg

Coming from Intrada in August, COVID-allowing...

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8521

This is a Universal score so I wonder if Mike Matessino worked on it.

Yavar

• 3 weeks later...

Do I love The Don Is Dead as much as I love High Velocity? No. But this new album in superb sound quality has totally made me a believer in this score, which I didn’t really click with before... anyone who would like to hear some for themselves can check out this special sneak peek podcast I did with Roger and Doug at Intrada:

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/5097955-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-the-don-is-dead-1973

6B69E0A4-B8F3-49AE-BC67-B51917C142EB.jpeg

Let me know what you guys think!

Yavar

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This CD release will only be available for 45 days and goes off sale Jan 30 2021 or when supplies run out.

WTF? This has to be their most limited CD release ever.

It’s the same as their recent reissue of Rozsa’s Ivanhoe — yes the physical edition is very limited but the digital edition (which is actually in considerably higher quality sound) is planned to stay available forever, or at least as long as Intrada is around.

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

It’s the same as their recent reissue of Rozsa’s Ivanhoe — yes the physical edition is very limited but the digital edition (which is actually in considerably higher quality sound) is planned to stay available forever, or at least as long as Intrada is around.

Yavar

Ok, but I don't see the point of such a time-limited release.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Ok, but I don't see the point of such a time-limited release.

After 45 days they don’t have to worry about the bother and physical expense of re-pressing it. They made it available one more time for the diehard physical media holdouts (myself included) and an even better version remains available indefinitely via digital distribution.

Yavar

4 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

After 45 days they don’t have to worry about the bother and physical expense of re-pressing it. They made it available one more time for the diehard physical media holdouts (myself included) and an even better version remains available indefinitely via digital distribution.

Yavar

Still, it doesn't really make sense. They've gone to all the bother of making a physical release happen, so why not make it available as long as interest remains?

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Still, it doesn't really make sense. They've gone to all the bother of making a physical release happen, so why not make it available as long as interest remains?

I mean usually 90% or more of orders on a title happen within the first month after the announcement. I suspect they know their business well enough, and have their reasons...

Yavar

Score collectors are a niche among niches. Titles that are limited to only a few thousand still remain available a long time after release. 

There is little reason to repress physical copies, especially when you consider the lower the quantity you press, the higher the cost. 

25 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I mean usually 90% or more of orders on a title happen within the first month after the announcement.

Now you're exaggerating.

12 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Score collectors are a niche among niches. Titles that are limited to only a few thousand still remain available a long time after release. 

Yeah, but for titles limited to a few thousand copies they usually order batches of only 500 copies or so, and wait for those to sell out before ordering a new batch.

The 3CD retains the previous issues 2CD program on Disc 1 & 2. Disc 3 is the new one here.  Most Folks, who have the previous set will probably not go for it again. Hence, the limited release. 

Im still on the fence, since I never really warmed up for the score. 

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Now you're exaggerating.

Yeah, but for titles limited to a few thousand copies they usually order batches of only 500 copies or so, and wait for those to sell out before ordering a new batch.

Depends. I'd say 60 to 70% of sales volume is in the first month. As far as unit sales most of the time you will sell about half of the number announced within the first year.

On 3/28/2020 at 8:45 PM, Brundlefly said:

It's either lossy, incomplete or lastly remastered before my date of birth, so I'm happy with complaining, until a proper and decently priced release will get to see the light of the day.

Knowing the way Varese practices mastering these days, they'd only bugger up a remaster anyway. The 1987 CDs or the 1994 symphonic combo release (highly recommend this one) are about as good as this score will sound.

20201216_145529.jpg

34 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Starship Troopers, Spartacus (ughhh!), Predator 2, The Omen 40th, just to name a few. They even put out a reissue of Elfman's So-Lo album that sounded nowhere near as good as the 80s MCA CD.

And what years did those come out? I’m pretty sure your “these days” comment is off the mark because those are from years ago.

To me The Omen 40th was fine, practically the same as the older Deluxe Edition.

The worst was definitely the Peggy Sue Got Married Deluxe Edition.

Yavar

10 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

And what years did those come out? I’m pretty sure your “these days” comment is off the mark because those are from years ago.

Dunno, last few years. It's all relatively recent Varese.

Waddya work for these people or something?

I merely pay attention and notice when improvements are made. I appreciate the hard work the labels do, but I did point out some past albums of theirs I thought were mastered poorly. But I don’t believe there have been any such since Townson’s departure. And when he was there it was really only one problematic mastering engineer.

Yavar

Sure, they put hard work into it all, that's great. But all that hard work is for nought if the mastering is reduced to only sound good if you're driving down the highway in a convertible with the top down.

And then there's the anti-OST attitude that permeates this community that's just as bewildering, where it seems a high proportion of members would rather go to their deathbed never having heard a note of a good score that's already had some decent existing releases unless it's had the full remixing, remastering, expanding and slick repackaging from a modern film music label. I mean, if the music is good, you'd want to seek it out and hear it on which ever edition is available, right? Are we in this for the music or the cult of the labels?

23 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

it was really only one problematic mastering engineer.

Yavar

He didn't by any chance work on HTTYD? ( THE OST)

16 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

And then there's the anti-OST attitude that permeates this community that's just as bewildering, where it seems a high proportion of members would rather go to their deathbed never having heard a note of a good score that's already had some decent existing releases unless it's had the full remixing, remastering, expanding and slick repackaging from a modern film music label...

I want their names and addresses!

(Btw. I made almost this exact same point and almost got run out of town. Course, it was on a JW /SW/IJ discussion😉)

The Tin Man is on a roll!!!!!😁😍

19 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Sure, they put hard work into it all, that's great. But all that hard work is for nought if the mastering is reduced to only sound good if you're driving down the highway in a convertible with the top down.

And again, name me a single title from the past three years (2018-2020) that fits that description. Even their improving their mastering apparently is for nought if some random person on a film music board decides they’re an expert and dismisses Varese saying their mastering generally sucks “these days” without having any nuance or bothering to notice their improvement 🙄 — big incentive for them to keep up the good job when a year or two from now someone like you will keep complaining about a now-nonexistent problem.

Yavar

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

And again, name me a single title from the past three years (2018-2020) that fits that description. Even their improving their mastering apparently is for nought if some random person on a film music board decides they’re an expert and dismisses Varese saying their mastering generally sucks “these days” without having any nuance or bothering to notice their improvement 🙄 — big incentive for them to keep up the good job when a year or two from now someone like you will keep complaining about a now-nonexistent problem.

There is no recent release with dynamic range issues that I'm aware of.

You already know that I was kind of dissapointed by Air Force One, because there were some alternates or OST versions missing, the volume of the seperate tracks wasn't well adapted to each other and there were some obvious film stem tracks - so a kind of missing research and final refining. The master, however, was excellent.

Same goes for U.S. Marshals - 1) refine the fade-ins and fade-outs of each track, 2) correct the placement of the track markers, 3) bring the volume of each track to an equal level, 4) join some cues for a better musical flow and (apart from the awful cover) you'd have had a great product. These last steps of work would have required 2 hours. Again, the sound was excellent.

5 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yavar

5 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Blah blah blah, join their PR office.

Alligator's jaw = Yavar's reasonable arguments

Tortoise = Drax

9 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Starship Troopers, Spartacus (ughhh!), Predator 2, The Omen 40th, just to name a few. They even put out a reissue of Elfman's So-Lo album that sounded nowhere near as good as the 80s MCA CD.

All of your examples were released between 2010-2016 when Robert Townson was still in charge.  Since he left and Cary and Bryon took over, there haven't been any loudness wars issues any more.

Just now, Jay said:

All of your examples were released between 2010-2016 when Robert Townson was still in charge.  Since he left and Cary and Bryon took over, there haven't been any loudness wars issues any more.

That all feels like "last year" to me.