The 2020 film scores speculation thread!

Edmilson

Wait, we are over 10 days into the year, and not all of the upcoming movies have chosen their composers? :(

Here's a thread on which we can especulate all the scores coming out this year. Will we have a new surprising John Williams score? Powell's only movie will be Call of the Wild? Will David Arnold finally return to some interesting movie instead of doing only British TV? Who will be rejected and replaced at the last minute? What will be the best scores of the year? And the worst? We'll all find out later in 2020, meanwhile, let's speculate!

To clarifying, here's a list of 2020 movies that have announced their composers:

Dolittle - Jan 17 - Danny Elfman

Bad Boys for Life - Jan 17 - Lorne Balfe

Birds of Prey - Feb 7 - Daniel Pemberton

Sonic the Hedgehog - Feb 14 - Tom Holkenborg

The Call of the Wild - Feb 21 - John Powell

Onward - Mar 6 - Mychael Danna, Jeff Danna

A Quiet Place, Part II - Mar 20 - Marco Beltrami

Mulan - Mar 27 - Harry Gregson-Williams

The New Mutants - Apr 3 - Nate Walcott, Mike Mogis

No Time to Die - Apr 10 - Hans Zimmer

Black Widow - May 1 - Alexandre Desplat

Scoob - May 15 - Tom Holkenborg

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run - May 22 - Hans Zimmer

Fast & Furious 9 - May 22 - Brian Tyler

Artemis Fowl - May 29 - Patrick Doyle

Wonder Woman 1984 - Jun 5 - Hans Zimmer

Soul - Jun 19 - Trent Resznor, Atticuss Ross

Top Gun: Maverick - Jun 26 - Harold Faltermeyer, Hans Zimmer

Tenet - Jul 17 - Ludwig Göransson

Jungle Cruise - Jul 24 - James Newton Howard

Morbius - Jul 31 - Jon Ekstrand

Bill & Ted Face the Music - Aug 21 - Mark Isham

The King's Man - Sep 18 - Matthew Margeson, Dominic Lewis

Death on the Nile - Oct 9 - Patrick Doyle

The Witches - Oct 9 - Alan Silvestri

Dune - Dec 18 - Hans Zimmer

West Side Story - Dec 18 - David Newman and Gustavo Dudamel adapting the music of Leonard Bernstein

Here's the upcoming movies that haven't officially announced their composers yet:

Ghostbusters: Afterlife - Jul 10 (one of the biggest mysteries of the year)

Venom 2 - Oct 2 (Andy Serkis' second movie as a director, the first one, Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle, was scored by Nitin Sawhney)

The Eternals - Nov 6 (director Chloe Zhao's previous movie was scored by unknown Nathan Halpern, but I don't think he is returning here)

Godzilla vs. Kong - Nov 13 (hard to speculate, director's previous two movies were scored by Atticuss and Leopold Ross)

Raya and the Last Dragon - Nov 25 (also hard to speculate, directors are first timers)

Coming 2 America - Dec 18 (the director's previous movie, Dolemite is My Name, was scored by Scott Bomar)

Tom and Jerry - Dec 23 (also a safe bet, the director's previous movies were all scored by Christopher Lennertz)

The Croods 2 - Dec 23 (Alan Silvestri did the first one, but the directors of the sequel aren't the same as the new movie)

List of American and British movies coming out in 2020:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_films_of_2020

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_films_of_2020

I can’t say that I have much interest in who’s scoring any of the unannounced titles there. I don’t think Adrian Lyne’s movie has a composer yet, sort of intrigued by that?

Call of the Wild, Jungle Cruise, The Witches, and Dune will probably have their moments. Soul and Tenet are interesting question marks.

Doubt Williams will have a movie but hope we hear something from him. 

Of the announced scores, the ones I'm most expecting are HGW's Mulan, JP's Call of the Wild and JNH's Jungle Cruise. Artemis Fowl could be interesting for Doyle (as long as he doesn't fall too much into the techno bullshit of Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit), and Soul is one of the most curious scores of the year (Resznor and Ross doing a kid movie about jazz and the aferlife, really? :o). Tenet should be great as well as Goransson is very talented, and of the endless barrage of Zimmer's scores this year, I'm antecipating WW84 and Dune the most.

As for the movies with unannounced composers, I'm curious to see who they'll chose for Ghostbusters and Godzilla v Kong - last year, Bear McCreary doing King of the Monsters was a great, welcome surprise. The MCU movies will probably choose a safe, bland, probable choice, like Jackman, Giacchino, etc.

I don't think there's really any question that Call of the Wild, Dune and Tenet are the top three of the coming year, or at least they ought to be. Doyle could have a good year too- although I'm not sure what to expect from Artemis Fowl, Death on the Nile should be good as I enjoyed Murder on the Orient Express well enough. 

Otherwise it doesn't look like all that great a year for film scores, or movies for that matter. I guess Season 2 of The Mandalorian will get me through to 2021.

21 minutes ago, publicist said:

I think Hans has this one bagged. A Villeneuve Dune is just something he would not fuck up.

Oh sure. Hans will dictate the sound of big budget film music and its TV knock offs for the next 5 years with his Dune cycle.

34 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

He fucked-up a Villeneuve BLADE RUNNER 2049, and I have every confidence in him, to do the same, to DUNE.

He didn't do that. His name was in it for marketing purposes.

On 1/12/2020 at 5:20 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Well, it's his biopic.

So, Zimmer is SpongeBob, Patrick is Lorne Balfe, Squidward is John Williams, Mr. Krabs is Ridley Scott, Sandy is James Newton Howard, Larry the Lobtser is Brian Tyler and Gary is Benjamin Wallfisch?

I would like to see Alex handle a big movie this year.

The Eternals, for instance, appears to be the kind of movie for which he could write a score like Valerian. Or maybe they could bring him back to the Monster franchise for Godzilla v Kong.

Looking forward to Powell's Call of the Wild, Desplat's The French Dispatch, and that's about it.

A very limp year for scores to get excited about ahead of time for me personally.  But always hopeful that something I'm not anticipating at all blows me away!

On the video game front, looking forward to Christopher Larkin's HOLLOW KNIGHT: SILKSONG more than any film scores, that's for sure.

Would be nice if Williams pulled a Book Thief type of scenario this year but it's highly unlikely.  I'm not looking forward any scores this year.  There was a time when I got excited about a new Elfman score but not anymore. I'm hoping there will be expanded releases to get excited about.

Looks like a busy year for Zimmer, though.  Out of the ones he doing, Dune peaks my interest the most.

NTTD and SpongeBob will probably be mostly done by the RC team, and I guess WW84 too as well. Top Gun I don't know, I guess the movie is a big chance for him to return to his 80s/90s style of action music (Black Rain, Days of Thunder, etc), and I think he wouldn't handle the opportunity to collaborate with Harold Faltermeyer to some minion.

Dune he will probably do almost by himself as well.. It will be his first collaboration with Villeneuve - Wallfisch did most of BR2049, lol. He was probably disappointed that Johannsonn wasn't fired earlier so he could dedicate himself more to that movie.

And be prepared, whether you like or not the Dune score, it will be the sound of Hollywood blockbusters for this decade.

On 1/12/2020 at 7:01 PM, Edmilson said:

I would like to see Alex handle a big movie this year.

I guess I was right, but not in the way I thought.

Black Widow's new trailer has confirmed that Desplat will score the movie:

bw.JPG

Also, considering this and that apparently it's official that Jon Ekstrand will score Morbius, I edited the first post of the thread.

Wow, film music really is dead.

I guess I hope Bear McCreary returns for Godzilla vs Kong, but every film in the MonsterVerse has had a different composer, so I dunno. Either way, that's the only one in this list I'm curious about.

Someone from FSM is maintaining a PDF of 2020 composer assignments

http://lokutusost.ufouni.cz/2020.pdf

Really just not much for me to get excited about.  Hoping for a ton of great catalog releases from the specialty labels throughout the year!

Scoob goes to Junkie XL

Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL) Scoring Animated ‘Scoob!’ Movie

This week, Tom Holkenborg (aka Junkie XL) (Mad Max: Fury Road, Deadpool, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Terminator: Dark Fate) is recording his score for the upcoming animated feature Scoob!. The film is directed by Tony Cervone and stars Kiersey Clemons, Zac Efron, Will Forte, Jason Isaacs, Ken Jeong, Tracy Morgan, Gina Rodriguez, Amanda Seyfried, Mark Wahlberg and Frank Welker. The Warner Animation Group production, which marks the first full length animated theatrical Scooby Doo movie, reveals how lifelong friends Scooby and Shaggy first met and how they joined with young detectives Fred, Velma and Daphne to form the famous Mystery Inc. Chris Columbus (Home Alone, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone), Pam Coats (Mulan) and Allison Abbate (Fantastic Mr. Fox, Frankenweenie) are producing the project. Scoob! is set to be released on May 15, 2020 by Warner Bros. Pictures. Visit the official movie website for updates.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/01/28/tom-holkenborg-junkie-xl-scoring-animated-scoob-movie/

• 7 months later...

Heh, just came across this

Scores that came out pre-pandemic

On 1/12/2020 at 9:47 AM, Edmilson said:

Dolittle - Jan 17 - Danny Elfman

Bad Boys for Life - Jan 17 - Lorne Balfe

Birds of Prey - Feb 7 - Daniel Pemberton

Sonic the Hedgehog - Feb 14 - Tom Holkenborg

The Call of the Wild - Feb 21 - John Powell

Onward - Mar 6 - Mychael Danna, Jeff Danna

Scores that came out at a different date

Mulan - Mar 27 - Harry Gregson-Williams - September 4

The New Mutants - Apr 3 - Nate Walcott, Mike Mogis - August 28

Scoob - May 15 - Tom Holkenborg - still May 15, but only on VOD

Artemis Fowl - May 29 - Patrick Doyle - June 12

Tenet - Jul 17 - Ludwig Göransson - September 3

Bill & Ted Face the Music - Aug 21 - Mark Isham - August 28

Scores for films still expected (as of now) to come out in 2020

No Time to Die - Apr 10 - Hans Zimmer - November 20

Black Widow - May 1 - Alexandre Desplat - November 6, Lorne Balfe

Wonder Woman 1984 - Jun 5 - Hans Zimmer - August 14, then October 2

Soul - Jun 19 - Trent Resznor, Atticuss Ross - November 20

Death on the Nile - Oct 9 - Patrick Doyle - October 23

Dune - Dec 18 - Hans Zimmer

West Side Story - Dec 18 - David Newman and Gustavo Dudamel adapting the music of Leonard Bernstein

Coming 2 America - Dec 18 (the director's previous movie, Dolemite is My Name, was scored by Scott Bomar) - Jermaine Stegall

The Croods 2 - Dec 23 (Alan Silvestri did the first one, but the directors of the sequel aren't the same as the new movie) - Alan Silvestri

Scores delayed to 2021

A Quiet Place, Part II - Mar 20 - Marco Beltrami - April 23 2021

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run - May 22 - Hans Zimmer - 2021 (CBS All Access)

Fast & Furious 9 - May 22 - Brian Tyler - April 2, 2021

Top Gun: Maverick - Jun 26 - Harold Faltermeyer, Hans Zimmer - December 23, then July 2 2021

Ghostbusters: Afterlife - Jul 10 (one of the biggest mysteries of the year) - March 5 2021, Rob Simonsen

Jungle Cruise - Jul 24 - James Newton Howard - October 11, then July 24 2021

Morbius - Jul 31 - Jon Ekstrand - March 19 2021

The King's Man - Sep 18 - Matthew Margeson, Dominic Lewis - Feb 26, 2021

Venom 2 - Oct 2 (Andy Serkis' second movie as a director, the first one, Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle, was scored by Nitin Sawhney) - June 25 2021

The Witches - Oct 9 - Alan Silvestri - 2021

The Eternals - Nov 6 (director Chloe Zhao's previous movie was scored by unknown Nathan Halpern, but I don't think he is returning here) - Feb 12 2021

Godzilla vs. Kong - Nov 13 (hard to speculate, director's previous two movies were scored by Atticuss and Leopold Ross) - May 21 2021, Tom Holkenborg

Raya and the Last Dragon - Nov 25 (also hard to speculate, directors are first timers) - March 12 2021

Tom and Jerry - Dec 23 (also a safe bet, the director's previous movies were all scored by Christopher Lennertz) - March 5 2021, Christopher Lennertz

@Jay

Some more to keep in mind:

Films/shows with release dates in place that may have potentially notable scores:

Kajillionaire - Emile Mosseri (supposed to release this month)

Enola Holmes - Daniel Pemberton (coming to Netflix this month)

The Trial of the Chicago 7 - Daniel Pemberton (coming to Netflix in October)

The Mandalorian: Season Two - Ludwig Goransson (coming to Disney+ October 30)

Mank - Trent Resznor & Atticus Ross (coming to Netflix in October, the score will only feature instruments available in the 40s)

Rebecca - Clint Mansell (coming to Netflix in October)

Free Guy - Christophe Beck (supposedly coming December)

News of the World - James Newton Howard (supposedly coming December)

Films/shows without a release date in place that may have potentially notable scores:

The Green Knight - Daniel Hart (no release date currently set)

Minari - Emile Mosseri (film played at Sundance to much critical acclaim, no release date currently set)

Bruised - Terence Blanchard (set to play at TIFF this month, Netflix has distribution rights)

The Woman in the Window - Danny Elfman (Joe Wright's new film received "negative test audience response", but it was slated for a 2020 release)

Bad Trip - Ludwig Goransson (Netflix has distribution rights, no release date currently set)

The Tragedy of Macbeth - Carter Burwell (Joel Coen's solo film finished production but was most likely supposed to be released in late 2020, early 2021 as it is)

A Boy Called Christmas - Dario Marianelli (Netflix has distribution rights, no release date currently set)

Let Them All Talk - Thomas Newman (Steven Soderbergh's new film, no release date currently set)

The Little Things - Thomas Newman (supposed to release early 2021)

On 1/12/2020 at 4:41 PM, Albus Percival Wulfric said:

Wow. Not a single thing to really look forward to. Maybe the three choices of Edmilson above, for one listen each. 

I came here to make a comment, only to find that I already made it 8 months ago.

Everytime I hear or read the name Brian Tyler I immediately think back to this quote of his from an interview:

”More than once I go to see the movie I scored and hear people humming the music afterwards.”

Lies. 

• 1 month later...

Looks like we're pretty much exactly split with half of the 35 films in the original post still coming out in 2020 and half coming out in 2021 now

Scores that have come out

1. Dolittle - Jan 17 - Danny Elfman
  2. Bad Boys for Life - Jan 17 - Lorne Balfe
  3. Birds of Prey - Feb 7 - Daniel Pemberton
  4. Sonic the Hedgehog - Feb 14 - Tom Holkenborg
  5. The Call of the Wild - Feb 21 - John Powell
  6. Onward - Mar 6 - Mychael Danna, Jeff Danna
  7. Mulan - Mar 27 - Harry Gregson-Williams - September 4
  8. The New Mutants - Apr 3 - Nate Walcott, Mike Mogis - August 28
  9. Scoob - May 15 - Tom Holkenborg - still May 15, but only on VOD
  10. Artemis Fowl - May 29 - Patrick Doyle - June 12
  11. Tenet - Jul 17 - Ludwig Göransson - September 3
  12. Bill & Ted Face the Music - Aug 21 - Mark Isham - August 28
  13. The Witches - Oct 9 - Alan Silvestri - October 22, but direct to HBO Max

Scores for films still expected (as of now) to come out in 2020

1. Wonder Woman 1984 - Jun 5 - Hans Zimmer - August 14, then October 2, then December 25
  2. Soul - Jun 19 - Trent Resznor, Atticuss Ross - November 20, then December 25, but direct to Disney+
  3. Death on the Nile - Oct 9 - Patrick Doyle - October 23, then December 18
  4. Coming 2 America - Jermaine Stegall - Dec 18 - Still Dec 18, but direct to Amazon Prime
  5. The Croods 2 The Croods: A New Age - Mark Mothersbaugh - Dec 23 - November 25

Scores delayed to 2021

1. A Quiet Place, Part II - Mar 20 - Marco Beltrami - April 23 2021
  2. No Time to Die - Apr 10 - Hans Zimmer - November 20, then April 2 2021
  3. Black Widow - May 1 - Alexandre Desplat Lorne Balfe - November 6, then May 7 2021
  4. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run - May 22 - Hans Zimmer - August 14 in Canada only, USA debut in early 2021 direct to CBS All Access
  5. Fast & Furious 9 - May 22 - Brian Tyler - April 2, 2021
  6. Top Gun: Maverick - Jun 26 - Harold Faltermeyer, Hans Zimmer - December 23, then July 2 2021
  7. Ghostbusters: Afterlife - Jul 10 -  Rob Simonsen - March 5 2021
  8. Jungle Cruise - Jul 24 - James Newton Howard - October 11, then July 24 2021
  9. Morbius - Jul 31 - Jon Ekstrand - March 19 2021
  10. The King's Man - Sep 18 - Matthew Margeson, Dominic Lewis - Feb 26, 2021
  11. Venom 2 - Oct 2 - no announced composer - June 25 2021
  12. The Eternals - Nov 6 - Ramin Djawadi - Feb 12 2021
  13. Godzilla vs. Kong - Nov 13 - Tom Holkenborg - May 21 2021,
  14. Raya and the Last Dragon - no announced composer - Nov 25 - March 12 2021
  15. Dune - Dec 18 - Hans Zimmer - October 1, 2021
  16. West Side Story - Dec 18 - David Newman and Gustavo Dudamel adapting the music of Leonard Bernstein - December 10 2021
  17. Tom and Jerry - Dec 23 - Christopher Lennertz - March 5 2021