92nd Academy Awards (2020 ceremony for 2019 films)

Jay

3 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

So you’re telling me I can’t have an opinion?  Alrighty then...

I saw and loved the movie, but didn’t care for the music.  IMO she won because she’s a woman and not because of merit.  

Or... those who voted have a different opinion on this score than you do and her gender doesn't enter into it?

Pretty surprised Bong Joon Ho beat Sam Mendes for Best Director! Could Parasite be the big winner later tonight as well?

Just now, Mr. Breathmask said:

Pretty surprised Bong Joon Ho beat Sam Mendes for Best Director! Could Parasite be the big winner later tonight as well?

Joon Ho might come out of this with 4 Oscars in one night!

1 minute ago, Romão said:

Will Parasite win best film? When a movie wins Best Screenplay and Best Director it should almost win Best Film by default

come to think of it, it really should.

I haven't seen Parasite, mind you. I just find it hard to imagine that a group of people consider a certain film to be the best directed and best written and not the best overall

1 minute ago, Romão said:

I haven't seen Parasite, mind you. I just find it hard to imagine that a group of people consider a certain film to be the best directed and best written and not the best overall

This was how Cuaron lost the trophy for Roma. But apparently that's in large part in thanks to Netflix.

3 minutes ago, KK said:

This was how Cuaron lost the trophy for Roma. But apparently that's in large part in thanks to Netflix.

Roma did not win Best Screenplay, though...

41 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Totally undeserving win for Joker, what a boring score!  I’m sure it’s because she’s a woman.  Lots of girl power going on tonight...

While I also was not wanting Joker to win, I don't think it won because she's a women. I think it's because The Academy likes to award newcomers as of late and they also keep voting for the outlier, regardless of how good they are.

*shrug* I'm not in the Academy. They can do whatever they want I guess. I was hoping 1917 would take it. Didn't think Rise of Skywalker would, but I didn't want to Joker to win. It's not bad, but I was certainly...unimpressed as far as a Best Score nomination goes. I felt similar when Social Network won. I still enjoy that score and I listen to it, but it was not the best score of the year.

40 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Joke win Phoenix 

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Of course, he made the movie watchable, but 99% of his performance was literally smoking and dancing awkwardly. 

5 minutes ago, Romão said:

Has anyone else ever won 4 Oscars for one film?

James Cameron won 3 for Titanic, same with Peter Jackson for ROTK....but 4??...hmmm that's a good question though.