92nd Academy Awards (2020 ceremony for 2019 films)

Jay

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

Teeeeeeechnically South Korea is the winner of International Feature, unless they’ve changed it.

Yeah, but who actually gets the statuette?

Just now, Romão said:

2 minutes ago, Romão said:

The country. The director accepts it on the country's behalf.

So in actuality, Bong has just won 3 Oscars.

The government or national film office, I guess, is usually the recipient? I know sometimes they’re displayed in capitol buildings or museums. 

But apparently since 2014 the director’s name is engraved along with the country so maybe give his record an asterisk and call it even. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Good for her! And that score was very effective in the film!

That's good, because listening to it, it sounds like noisy crap. 

"It works in the film" is a phrase that should be forbidden to ever be cited as praise for a score. 

11 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

jonah hill no GIF

Stop it, you're embarrassing yourself. No adult is communicating in GIFs. 

Yeah, I'd really be curious to know why it's misogynist to "objectify" women, but it's somehow not misandrist to objectify men? The fact that he replied with a GIF, when he could have simply said "Yeah, that's messed up too" to stay consistent and not have a double standard, is telling. Why not just say that? (I don't actually think either is bad, and had no problem with the "no shirts allowed" comment; I just loathe double standards like this.)

9 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Yeah, I'd really be curious to know why it's misogynist to "objectify" women, but it's somehow not misandrist to objectify men? The fact that he replied with a GIF rather than simply say, "Yeah, that's messed up too" to stay consistent and not have a double standard, is telling. (I don't actually think either is bad.)

Likely he'll meander on about "false equivalence" or something "because men are more powerful than women, therefore are fair game" to perpetuate some twisted "gendehh ekwahlityyy" logic.

I dont get the buzz for Parasite. I have seen it and it is nothing special tbh. I dont know, is it because Hollywood hasnt seen a kind of social juxtaposition thats being presented in the movie or not? ( because i live in SE Asia and those kind of social disparity is our daily consumption; further proof those Hollywood liberals , as per Ricky Gervais said, is out of touch of the real world)

One thing for sure, Oscar and other awards, onward, will prefer to bestow an award for POLITICALLY CORRECT movie, not because of one’s merits ( oscar be like: “hey i give South Korean’s movie the top prize, am i not diverse enough?, this is yuge, this has never been done before!”)

Well i know the underlying message of this political practice is good ( about representation, about how everyone, no matter their race and creed, can also succeed, etc etc), but it is sad nonentheless :(

oh well,..

13 minutes ago, publicist said:

Then it is no less deserving than any of the other nominees. 

Well, tbh ,Parasite itself is not movie made for politically correct reason. Director's previous movies Okja, Snowpiercer etc also deal with the same issue, so in that case. lets assume its labor of love/ trademark for the director to do these kind of movies. But IMO, in the end, Parasite is not that special of a movie. It's the practice of AMPAS members awarding a movie based on political reasons that i hate.

The Irishman, 1917, Once Upon, Marriage, are movies stem form director's passion and not made for political reasons, and they are also a better movie.

But dont tell the Academy, because they prefer to pat themselves in the back like a good boy they are.

4 hours ago, gkgyver said:

"It works in the film" is a phrase that should be forbidden to ever be cited as praise for a score.

But, surely, the true test of a film score is how it works in the film, rather than on an album?

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

They are not. It's just your personal bias. All things considered (politics included), they chose the right winner. 

Yup, i know it is. Im just quite angry with the result.

Oh well, 

all things considered, i think the general consensus, people love Parasite. 

Especially AMPAS members, ...or do they? 

do they even see the screeners given to them?

were they suggested by their peers to do the politically correct things? 

the preferential ballot system practiced by the academy is a one of a kind system by itself. So only God knows.

Anyway, time for me to move on, and see how 2021 Oscar will fare.

#TheIrishmanIsTheBestPictureIMO

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

But, surely, the true test of a film score is how it works in the film, rather than on an album?

Yeah, but according to whom? Misguided filmmakers pleasing misguided audiences? Mind you, i'm only playing devil's advocate, but to me it's apparent that all too often 'composers' are glorified sound designers (Hildur, Johannsen before her) and that whatever they offer may have a great cumulative effect, but a really cutting-edge Goldenthal score, for instance, still would have been a hundred times better as music AND especially as a musical score.

1 hour ago, PrayodiBA said:

Anyway, time for me to move on, and see how 2021 Oscar will fare.

#TheIrishmanIsTheBestPictureIMO

That would have been a true pity win. A lame movie, at least 30 minutes too long and full of redundant retreats of ground (more than) well-covered. 

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Amen to that.  Even the most mediocre music usually does work for the film. 

I did not remember any of the music the second I left the cinema - what I was remembering  a lot were the SONGS - thats how "good" the score was.   Oscars are a joke lately.  And yes, the fact the composer is a woman played a role for sure. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The primary function of a film score is to support the narrative of a film. 

This is not what should be the point of interest - as every music in every A movie does this, as this is a basic requirement.
If the music support the narrative BUT also stands out as a good music - being memorable, having emotional impact - than the score is good. 

1 hour ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

The argument that considers the end effect as heard in the film as the only, or the highest measure, is retarded. Give the best score awards to the sound mixers then!

That's quite literally the criterion for the academy for the best score category. It very explicitly is music as heard in the film.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Yeah, but according to whom? Misguided filmmakers pleasing misguided audiences? Mind you, i'm only playing devil's advocate, but to me it's apparent that all too often 'composers' are glorified sound designers (Hildur, Johannsen before her) and that whatever they offer may have a great cumulative effect, but a really cutting-edge Goldenthal score, for instance, still would have been a hundred times better as music AND especially as a musical score.

I don't know. That sounds pretty reductive. I think it's possible to be both "cutting-edge" and have real structural and musical integrity in the context of a more "ambient" aesthetic. I mean, I agree that it is easy, and probably quite seductive to lean exclusively on the "novelty" of sound and let the film do all the work by means of imbuing said sound with structure and intent. But there are still composers who have been playing with the capacity for sound through real musical structures. And Johannsson was clearly one of them. 

31 minutes ago, KK said:

I don't know. That sounds pretty reductive. I think it's possible to be both "cutting-edge" and have real structural and musical integrity in the context of a more "ambient" aesthetic. I mean, I agree that it is easy, and probably quite seductive to lean exclusively on the "novelty" of sound and let the film do all the work by means of imbuing said sound with structure and intent. But there are still composers who have been playing with the capacity for sound through real musical structures. And Johannsson was clearly one of them. 

I agree. And Johannsson would've delivered interesting things for Dune, I'm sure

33 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Is it any real loss if a score is unlistenable in isolation from the film?

No, it's just all the more reason the rewatch the movie.

3 minutes ago, Romão said:

I agree. And Johannsson would've delivered interesting things for Dune, I'm sure

Supposedly Johannsson's BR 2049 didn't sound anything like Vangelis and I think I would have preferred that.

1 hour ago, KK said:

I know that many claim that, given how much of it *still* is wallpaper, even in clearly ambitious scores like Arrival i refuse to buy that as valid argument.

Let's face it, musically that approach is a dead end.  

23 minutes ago, publicist said:

I know that many claim that, given how much of it *still* is wallpaper, even in clearly ambitious scores like Arrival i refuse to buy that as valid argument.

Let's face it, musically that approach is a dead end.  

Of course there's wallpaper! It's film music!

There's just as much wallpaper in something like Sicario/Arrival as there is in Desplat's Little Women (or any Desplat score, really) or Williams' latest Star Wars. The only difference is the aesthetic really. And everyone's own aesthetic biases will colour their tolerance level for each score's wallpaper.