92nd Academy Awards (2020 ceremony for 2019 films)

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Oscars to Feature Female Orchestra Conductor for the First Time

Irish-born composer-conductor Eímear Noone will conduct excerpts from the five nominated scores.

A woman will be conducting at the Oscars for the first time on Sunday, Feb. 9, the Academy announced today.

Irish-born composer-conductor Eímear Noone will conduct excerpts from the five nominated scores. She is the first female to lead the orchestra in the history of the televised awards, the Academy said.

Details beyond that are sketchy, sources indicated. It is not clear whether all five themes will be presented as a medley or separately, or whether the 42-piece Oscar orchestra will be onstage at the Dolby Theatre or in the pit.

Reached this morning in Dublin, Noone tells Variety: “The wonderful producers at the Oscars decided that they would like to finally see a female presence on the podium after all these years.”

She praised Oscar musical director Rickey Minor as “an amazing kindred spirit who endeavors to elevate music and musicians at every possible turn.”

Minor is expected to conduct the rest of the show, as he did during his initial Oscar gig last year. “[How] generous he is, to hand over this incredibly poignant moment, as these [composers] are my heroes and she-roes, who will be sitting in the audience, whose music I get to interpret,” Noone adds.

Asked if, despite her long experience leading orchestras, she will find conducting the Oscars a nerve-wracking experience, she responds: “I’d be dead inside if I didn’t have any concerns. Luckily for me, I have friends in the orchestra and I have friends on the page in front of me. The background changes, but the little black dots on the page are always home for me. No matter what country I’m in or what concert hall, it doesn’t matter – the score is where my mind and my heart are.”

Noone,  who along with her husband, composer-producer Craig Stuart Garfinkle, divides her time between homes in Dublin and California, conducts 40 to 50 concerts a year around the world. She has conducted the Philadelphia Orchestra, Dallas Symphony, National Symphony, the Royal Philharmonic of London and the Sydney Symphony in Australia, among others.

She was the first woman to conduct at Dublin’s National Concert Hall, and for four years she conducted the Dublin City Concert Orchestra, an ensemble she founded at 21 for the performance of film music. A frequent conductor of Video Games Live, she is widely considered the world’s premier conductor of video game scores.

“It’s an honor to be there, to help normalize something that I do every day,” she notes. “Little girls everywhere will see this and say, ‘I think I’ll do that.’ That’s what we want.”

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/oscars-orchestra-conductor-woman-female-first-1203477259/

Kinda weird that they don’t just have Noone be music director. 

I assume she’ll do an excerpt of “The Rise of Skywalker” for JW, although I honestly wouldn’t be that surprised if they do the Main Title lmao. 

My predictions:

Best Picture: 1917

Best Director: Todd Phillips

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix

Best Actress: Renee Zellweger (rather see Cynthia Erivo win)

Supporting Actress: Laura Dern (rather Margot Robbie do an upset)

Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt

Best Animated Film: How to Train Your Dragon 3

Animated Short: "Hair Love"

Best Song: Toy Story 4

Best International Film: Parasite

Original Screenplay: Parasite ("Knives Out" would be good too)

Adapted Screenplay: Little Women

Original Score: Joker

Cinematography: The Lighthouse

Costume Design: Jojo Rabbit

Film Editing: Parasite

Makeup & Hair: Bombshell

Production Design: Parasite

Visual Effects: Avengers Endgame

I wish Driver had a chance of winning Actor.  He'd certainly be my pick.  Since very little of what I would pick, aside from the Supporting Acting categories, is expected to win, I'll watch the ceremony just hoping for unexpected moments, whether they be unexpected wins or just funny celebrity reaction shots or whatever.  Pop the popcorn and revel in the vulgar irrelevance of it all!

Here's mine:

Best Picture: 1917

Best Director: Bong Joon-Ho

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix

Best Actress: Renee Zellweger

Supporting Actress: Laura Dern

Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt

Best Animated Film: Toy Story 4 (Netflix's Klaus could be an upset)

Animated Short: "Hair Love"

Best Song: Frozen II

Best International Film: Parasite

Original Screenplay: Parasite

Adapted Screenplay: Little Women

Original Score: Joker

Cinematography: 1917

Costume Design: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Film Editing: Parasite

Makeup & Hair: Joker

Production Design: Parasite

Visual Effects: The Lion King

Parasite will be the most awarded movie of the night.

But for Best Film and Best Director, I guess either of these two things will happen: either 1917 will take Best Picture and Bong best director, or Parasite Best Picture and Sam Mendes best director. For now, I think the former is more likely.

The Academy is still very conservative, so a war movie is more probable to win, but they'll give the Best Director award to Bong as a consolation prize. It's a similar situation to last year, when Green Book took Best movie instead of Roma, but Cuarón won Best Director.

On January 29, 2020 at 12:48 PM, Edmilson said:

The Academy is still very conservative...

ROTFLMAO

Anyways, I've been trying to think about it as little as possible, but the forthcoming snub of Adam Driver is still a huge dissapointment. His performance was perfectly measured in it's emotional escalations and plateaus. So heartbreakingly sincere! A role that's sure to go down as one of his best when we look back on his still young career sometime down the road. 

With Phoenix, I'm under the impression that folks are mistaking great acting for a lot of acting. Of course, I haven't seen Joker and I never want to watch such a pile of ignorant, misguided tripe, so it's not really my place to make comparisons. But still...

31 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

With Phoenix, I'm under the impression that folks are mistaking great acting for a lot of acting. Of course, I haven't seen Joker and I never want to watch such a pile of ignorant, misguided tripe, so it's not really my place to make comparisons. But still...

Don’t you think you should actually watch the film before making statements such as this?

Also, Phoenix was absolutely mesmerizing in the role. One of his best performances, imo. 

Oh dear, I'm afraid I've screwed this up again. Perhaps I should specify, which is to say that my post was poorly worded and (I believe) submitted after downing 3 Canada Drys (a common occurence). In this case I don't wish to watch the whole film, no. I've been off-put but what I have seen. You are absolutely right that I should watch the film start-to-finish first. I don't intend to though. 

As for Phoenix, my interpretation of his performance is obviously unpopular, but it's more testing the waters of questioning popular opinion rather than my own personal view. All the same, there's nothing wrong with two ships passing in the night as long as you wave as you go by.

Case in point, forget I ever mentioned it as I am poor at film critiquing and ought not to be regarded with any credibility. :)

17 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

don't wish to watch the whole film, no. I've been off-put but what I have seen. You are absolutely right that I should watch the film start-to-finish first. I don't intend to though.

What put you off?

ROTFLMAO

The Academy Baffles Everyone After Seemingly Posting Its Own 2020 Oscar Predictions

The Academy said the social media gaffe was due to "a brief issue on Twitter."

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences boasts 3.4 million followers on Twitter, and it left many of them scratching their heads Monday night after posting a since-deleted photo of Oscar predictions that made it appear like the organization was making its own personal picks for Sunday night’s awards ceremony. The photo was titled “My Oscar Predictions” and included picks such as “Parasite” for Best Picture, Sam Mendes for Best Director (“1917”), “Parasite” for Original Screenplay, and “Jojo Rabbit” for Adapted Screenplay. That the Academy’s apparent picks lined up so closely with many Oscar pundits’ predictions led to confusion online over whether or not the Academy had accidentally released the Oscar winners early. After all, anything is possible after the infamous “La La Land”/”Moonlight’ Best Picture gaffe in 2017.

The Academy took down the photo (posted below) and issued a response: “We invited fans on Twitter to make and share your #Oscars predictions. A ton of you already have. A brief issue on Twitter made some of yours look like they came from our account. They didn’t. This error is now resolved. And we’ll reveal our picks on Sunday.”

Earlier in the day, the Academy launched a social media feature on Twitter called “The Oscars Predictions Experience” that allowed any of its 3.4 million followers and more to make their personal predictions for the 92nd Academy Awards. The photo the Academy tweeted was allegedly the overall results from the predictions submitted. The screw up was in presenting fan predictions without context so that it appeared the Academy was releasing its own Oscar predictions instead.

Backlash against the Academy became so widespread on social media that AMPAS re-tweeted Oscar pundit Kris Tapley, who wrote on Twitter, “Everyone chill, it’s a predictions app!”

The host-less 2020 Oscars are set to air this Sunday, February 9 on ABC. “Joker” leads all films this year with 11 nominations, followed by “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” “The Irishman,” and “1917” with 10 nominations each. Voting ends for Academy members today, February 4, and 5pm PT.

EP5i5J2U4AEAQeS.jpg?w=780

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/02/academy-posts-oscars-predictions-confusion-1202208475/

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What?  Janelle Monae is the best!

It was certainly better than the shitty “topical” jokes that followed from Rock and Martin.  The Oscars should embrace the superficiality.

I like Monae. But did not like that tacky number at all, dancing Jokers/Nazis/soldiers and all.

Some awkward moments aside, I thought the Martin/Rock pair mostly worked.

I love Keaton. Bless her heart.

Oh right we usually do live commentary on this 

Hmm not much to say, kinda boring mostly. It is nice that I've seen most of the movies this year. Was nice to see Parasite win for screenplay, and Jojo too 

Definitely two of the most original movies of the year 

We watched the beginning at my parents’.  I only had one pick right at the time we left - Pitt.  That’s what I get for not seeing any of the movies or reading any of the pundit stuff.  

My kid loved seeing who did Olaf’s and Elsa’s voices and liked hearing the Frozen song, surprise surprise.  I’m glad they programmed that one early in the show so we could beat bedtime.

I liked the opening number.  I typically really like Martin and Rock but found the monologue kind of stilted.

That best supporting actress category was stacked, I really liked all those performances

Pugh should have been nominated for Midsomar though.  Heck Midsomar in general should have gotten multiple noms