Why I don’t give a crap about awards season, and you’d be wise to tune it all out too...

BLUMENKOHL

I used to be really into the oscars; I'm talking 15 years ago. Then I realised how politically driven they had become and I stopped caring about who won anything. Also the BBC lost broadcasting rights to Sky.

All my interest in awards ceremonies ended after I watched The Lord of the Rings clean up that one year. I was good after that. Literally have no interest whatsoever in the Oscars anymore, don't even know who's nominated.

I also stayed up late to see Spielberg take his first drink after the longest drought of his life. Those were the days.

I keep them on my radar and i'll find out who's won in the morning, but I take the nominations and winners as absolutely zero indication of how good they actually are.

It's just sort of fun to observe the pandemonium surrounding the whole thing.

46 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I keep them on my radar and i'll find out who's won in the morning, but I take the nominations and winners as absolutely zero indication of how good they actually are.

It's just sort of fun to observe the pandemonium surrounding the whole thing.

I think the pandemonium is dying. Over a 20 year period viewership has plummeted -50%. 

1998: 55 million viewers

2018: 27 million viewers

2019: (the first up year in a long time) 29 million viewers. 

Most people know BS when they see it. 

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Well It's also fun to watch the drama here, with everyone hoping for a miracle that JW wins, like they need validation.

I wouldn't be able to enjoy his music if he didn't have 5 oscars to his name already. It's why I've given up on Jerry Goldsmith with his piddly one. 

And if John doesn't win a lifetime achievement award, I am going to stop being a fan altogether. I only want to listen to the oeuvre of highly-award-winning-lifetime-achieved music and composers. 

LOL @ the Academy Awards not having a traditional host this year out of fear a host might say something against the Hollywood hive mind.

Joker sweeping the Oscars is fucking hilarious. 

• 4 weeks later...

WOW. I didn’t expect to do this much damage to the Oscars with this thread: 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/oscars-hit-all-time-low-tv-ratings-sunday-feb-9-2020-1278364

ABC's Oscar telecast reached all-time lows in the ratings, falling sharply from last year.

The three-hour-plus broadcast averaged about 23.6 million viewers and a 5.3 rating among adults 18-49, well below the 29.56 million and 7.7 for last year's awards — which aired two weeks later. The Oscars were down 20 percent year to year in viewers and 31 percent in the key ad-sales demo of adults 18-49.

10 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Yeah, those morons who saw the candles in that skepticism thread and bought them...many of them...those stupid-ass lurkers!...  ...  :unsure:

I bought 5 just to spite the septics. 

• 1 year later...

Thank you all for contributing to a 60% decline in Oscars viewership!

Let’s keep it going next year!

On 1/15/2020 at 5:26 PM, BLUMENKOHL said:

I think the pandemonium is dying. Over a 20 year period viewership has plummeted -50%. 

1998: 55 million viewers

2018: 27 million viewers

2019: (the first up year in a long time) 29 million viewers. 

Most people know BS when they see it. 

2020: 23.6 million 

2021: 9.8 million 🤣

JWFan has a weird obsession with Hollyweird. I think the culture is just awful and it keeps getting worse as time goes by.

Ratings are tanking, most people aren't seeing the movies, people tune out as actors become activists. 

Although long-winded, I think I understand the point of the original post. The criteria and framework for judging quality is beyond garbage, apparently they don’t even have judges who are experts in the category they’re judging anymore. The idea of voting a movie without having seen it is so absurd and yet it happens constantly.

I would love to tune the whole thing out and not think about it, but while the Oscars still has relevance (which thankfully, appears to be dwindling) and their judging framework is beyond fucked, then it’s just going to encourage more mediocrity. If we aren’t truly praising the best of the best then the bar is being set very low and that is a bad precedent to influence the industry.

I honestly don't know any of the newer nominees and winners this year, never heard of their names nor seen their faces before. They could just as well be YouTubers to my eye. I think this past twelve months has been damaging to more than just film itself - stars feel strangely obsolete right now, at least traditional cinema ones do. It seems to me that if you're not streaming you're not shining bright anymore. Hollywood glitz has practically been phased out of existence. 

I like the Oscars just fine, and tend to watch them every year (the day after it's aired) just for the sheer spectacle of it. But I've felt no particular need to see this year's edition. Seen a few clips on Youtube, though. Vinterberg's win, and that Korean woman from MINARI whose name I've forgotten. And Hopkins' brief thank you speech from Wales. Those were fine. Also saw the In Memoriam section, which was disgraceful. Bizarre choice of music, and far too fast editing. Some people barely got a single second.

When a sludge filled piece of crap movie like Nomadlands win best picture you know its an exceptionally bad year.