New Project: John Williams Potter Scoring

Potter Scoring Project

On 13/11/2022 at 12:07 PM, Potter Scoring Project said:

Ron is back! We're continuing with the shorter, darker cues, with some more Ron and Hermione coming into the picture. 

Today we have Cue No. 24: Ron Destroys the Locket and Cue No. 25: The Trio Reunited!

Amazing stuff! Really enjoyed hearing a dissonant version of Ron & Hermione's theme, and a new version of a melody I never thought of as being its own theme, but man I think it works wonders. It was also great to hear an extended version of Ron & Hermione's theme, and the lovely new version of the trio one.

On 14/11/2022 at 2:13 PM, bored said:

Amazing stuff! Really enjoyed hearing a dissonant version of Ron & Hermione's theme, and a new version of a melody I never thought of as being its own theme, but man I think it works wonders. It was also great to hear an extended version of Ron & Hermione's theme, and the lovely new version of the trio one.

Thanks so much! Yeah, we've had fun reworking those callbacks and less flashy moments for this film. Hoping it helps to tie everything together. I'm glad you like it :)

Our reunited trio gets to travel outside of the tent this week for Cue No. 26: Xenophilius Lovegood. We're almost to the film's finale, but we will be taking a break next week for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend over here. Stay tuned and thanks for listening!

• 2 weeks later...

This might be my favorite track you guys have done for this movie! The orchestration fits so perfect for this ancient story, and the slow development of the Hallows theme throughout the story is perfectly done. Very disappointing the music in the actual movie was as ambient and bare as it was, this shows how great it could have been. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2023 at 11:19 AM, redishere said:

Wow, hadn't checked Potter Scoring Project for a while, and now I have an entire new soundtrack to listen to? What a great gift, thank you!

@redishere Thanks for checking back! We've been having such a great time with DH1 and are happy you're excited about it too! 

On 02/01/2023 at 3:39 PM, bored said:

You really nailed the finale here, guys! Glad to see your music get even better over time!

@bored Thank you! As a super big Voldemort fan (musically), writing this ending was awesome cause I didn't need to find any sort of creative way to do Leaving Hogwarts. Just pure evil laughing as I wrote the finale. And I also got to use organ so that was a personal win.  

BP

It's really amazing what you accomplished so far: you basically gave life to something I wish existed. If there was a way to travel to alternate universe, I'll definitely go to the one in which JW composed all 7 (well, eight) scores for HP :D Can't wait for the complete score!

By the way, I love the fact that whenever a scene is near the Ministry you seem to go back to the Minority Report sound
: cue 12 of Deathly Hallows instantly reminded me of Saving The Eye, then I read the description and discovered it was (of course) intentional. Great work!

14 hours ago, Potter Scoring Project said:

The end credits are coming, we promise! For today we have this movie's first concert work, "The Deathly Hallows," which is also the first 3.5 minutes of the end credits. It features the theme used in the movie as well as motivic development and a B section. Enjoy!

MS & BP

There seems to be a problem to the file as it doesn't play at all for me, either on phone or PC.

Ah thanks, @redishere! That is an awesome compliment and trust me, we're just as happy as you that it's happening. This whole time it's felt like we're just fans seeing the music fit how we would have wanted as well.

And glad you've been liking the Ministry/Minority report material! Ben is a huge 2002 fan so that does have a lot of influence. It works out since it's the right era to pull from for Potter scores. Great to hear from you :)

@Light00 thanks for letting me know - I tried to post lossless this time since Google Drive can play FLAC but I guess it doesn't work on other devices. I fixed it with an mp3 now!

MS

1 minute ago, Potter Scoring Project said:

@Light00 thanks for letting me know - I tried to post lossless this time since Google Drive can play FLAC but I guess it doesn't work on other devices. I fixed it with an mp3 now!

MS

Thank you! Can't wait to listen it :D

Forget a long and elaborate post. Just started listening tonight. I felt a bit unsure at first, but then Sky Battle came. Pure Williams. Whatever mixed feelings I might have about this project, this is a masterful effort so far.

I do really like this score, but I do have a few more issues with it than the previous two. 

While I do enjoy every track, I really thought your guys' Order of the Phoenix theme should have gotten a stronger showing, especially in "Escape from Privet Drive" and somewhere in "Fallen Warrior". A distressed/dissonant version in "'They are Coming"' would have been nice too.

I was also admittedly disappointed by some of the action music this time around, particularly "Bathilda's Secret". I enjoy the overall musical identity Nagini was given, but I would have enjoyed some more exciting, dissonant, and violent movements from the orchestra to emphasize her viciousness. It's also admittedly hard to top Desplat's "Sky Battle" for me because I think that's one of the best Harry Potter tracks, period.

However, there are undoubtedly many cues that you guys completely nailed! The entirety of the first 2 cues are perfect, "Sneaking into the Ministry" through the entire ministry segment is great, "Godric's Hollow" and "The Trio Reunited" are incredibly heartfelt, "Ron Destroys the Locket" is amazing, being pure horror mixed with cleverly utilized themes, "The Tale of the Three Brothers" is perfect musical storytelling, along with the Hallows theme being the best concert suite yet, and "A Free Elf" is absolutely heartbreaking. 

Needless to say I'm very much looking forward to Deathly Hallows Part 2!

@bollemanneke Thank you so much! Glad to hear from you again and glad you've been enjoying DH1. The Escape from Privet Drive was a ton of work for us so we're doubly happy to hear that.

@bored thanks for your comment! I hear you. This score took the longest to write and to figure out. Even when we both agreed on what we were going to use as final versions of cues, we knew that this score would have the most hot takes. 

The opening of the film felt particularly weighed down after throwing all applicable themes on top of it, which is why there’s less OOTP theme (among others). It felt less like emotional whiplash if there was a streamlined musical goal from the WB Logo until they leave Privet Drive. That being said, the OOTP theme (as I'm sure you can imagine) will play a very nice role in DH2. 

Sky Battle is a favorite of ours too! In the writing process I remember specifically moving away from any tendencies towards Desplat's timing or choice of key etc. because that was one of the times he got really into his own version of the JW sound. Of course his is the official musical statement of that scene and ours is fan fic, so having both as separate ideas is the goal (not to have one erase or be better than the other).  

Bathilda's Secret was a tricky one. I never in the past have given Nagini any musical identity, since we always see her with Voldemort. It was mainly scored as a middle-movie action scene that stood alone as a jumble of noise after the emotional Godric's Hollow scene. The action music was also an interesting challenge overall in Part 1 due to the film’s unique pacing. We had to deal with a “part 1” score, but also a film that, for the first time, did not follow the formula of the previous six.

Thank you for all of your praise for the rest of the score! Many moments of payoff that I've been looking forward to writing appear in this movie, especially bringing back the mirror scene music for when Harry stands at the grave of his parents. Also, it’s great to hear you've liked the DH concert theme so much. It sort of magically came together at the end of the score and we were super psyched about it too.

I'm in the trenches revamping GOF right now, but it will not take as long as a normal score, and we are on track to get DH2 in good shape in the coming months! 

BP

Today we finished the Soundtrack Arrangement for Deathly Hallows - Part 1, and we hope you'll like this alternate presentation of the score as well :) This score has been a unique experience all around and the OST is no exception. Thanks all for listening!

MS

It's our last post for Deathly Hallows - Part 1!  As with the other films, we've got 5 Deleted Scenes temped with existing Potter music (not sure why these don't have subtitles). We also posted 2 scenes of temp score demo. We have enjoyed this film so much and we sincerely thank you all for listening! 

MS

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Excellent return! Though I will say there's just something about Lily's Theme that just immediately captivates the listener into a dark final chapter. This is a very good opening too, but it doesn't quite have the same emotional gut-punch that Lily's Theme does, especially in the shots with Snape to build the connection between the two musically. The a capella choir and reference to Dobby's Theme do come close though!

Thanks @bored! And yes there's absolutely no way to replace Lily's Theme. This was a decision to have Part 2 open like a curtain going up after intermission rather than a full on emotional gut punch opening of a film. That's what the opening of Part 1 was for. On a personal note, I actually disagree with linking Snape to Lily this early musically as Desplat did, even though that opening is my absolute favorite one post-Williams. I feel like it gave away Snape's true emotional state too early, and set up a redemption arc before it needed to be present. But that's just my take. Still a fantastic cue and theme. Thanks for listening! 

BP 

Here’s the other half of underscored talking from the front of this film. It’s got a lot of throwbacks to the beginning of the series, which has been fun to put in as the ending approaches. Enjoy Cue No. 36: The Wandmaker!

Our last slow buildup before the first big action sequence of this film comes out today! Enjoy this short and fun cue before we dive into some frenetic action next week. Here's Cue No. 37: Gringotts.

Very well written and satisfying. I was so hoping for a "Wondrous World" statement in this scene the second this project started on this movie, and you really delivered! Can't wait to see how you guys handle the rest of the movie! 

Hi @bored, thank you! I've been waiting to use HWW for this moment, and am glad you liked it. It's been a great challenge to bring back some nostalgic moments while weaving them into the darker tone.

As for today, we have our final cue before the battle begins! Enjoy Cue No. 41: Confrontation in the Great Hall

Also an update on future cues: 42-48 have no pause between them and they form a continuous 35 minutes of music, so we will be working hard on them for the next month or so to get to you all by mid/late November. You'll have plenty to listen to when that happens! Thank you for your patience. In the meantime, we have cue titles for you all: 

Cue No. 42: Battle Preparations 
Cue No. 43: Helena Ravenclaw and Voldemort's Arrival
Cue No. 44: Return to the Chamber of Secrets 
Cue No. 45: Exploding Bridge and the Battle Continues
Cue No. 46: The Lost Diadem
Cue No. 47: "Only I Can Live Forever"
Cue No. 48: Death is but Crossing the World

Stay tuned :) 

BP

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It’s here! Thank you for your patience as we finished up this massive section of the movie. We will be back to weekly releases for the next month before another schedule tweak for the final 20 minutes of the film. Enjoy cues 42-48!!

Cue No. 42: Battle Preparations