New Project: John Williams Potter Scoring

Potter Scoring Project

On 1/28/2020 at 1:38 PM, GoodMusician said:

thanks for sharing that one! i'm not sure what to say about the first part. It good but it didn't evoke Williams fully to me. Might take another listen. It almost sounds like something from a silent film, which is great! like the cue is technically more difficult and interesting!

The 2nd one, I felt like although it made sense to come in at the conjuring of the dark mark, it might have needed a lead in? The rest was pretty spot on! 

I appreciate your feedback! Interesting about the silent film comment because JW's Potter scores have always reminded us of Star Wars in that they could practically be from silent films. I get what you mean about the Dark Mark though. We extended that cue at the end when editing to transition out, and that could have worked at the beginning too. We basically felt it needed that tension and mystery between these quickly-paced scenes. That way it could kind of come at you out of nowhere like the big choral moment in Writing on the Wall (even though that does have other material before it) 

BP

We're excited about this week's: Cue 6 - On the Train and Arrival of the Schools, and  Cue 7 - Entrance of the Schools. More of that classic Wizarding World excitement, combining themes from both PoA and the first two, with some new material too.

We've loved hearing from you. Looking forward to your comments and thoughts! 

On 2/3/2020 at 1:55 AM, Holko said:

All right, I'll be the party pooper asshole: I appreciate this project, and do actually think most of it's pretty well done! (my one hangup so far is the Krum motif which doesn't fit what a nice shy guy he actually is in the book - though it'll probably fit the shallow movie portrayal so no real problem)

Hey party pooper asshole. Just kidding. Thank you for the feedback. You’re right about it being a fan’s wishlist. As hard as we try to emulate what JW would have wanted, we’re not him, and our opinions will show themselves based off of our love for the material and what we for sure would have wanted.

You make good points, and in the end we’re fans just like you. We’re putting ourselves aside as much as we can to let as true a vision come out of this project as possible. It’s not going to please everybody, but we’re glad you’ve been liking it aside from that. At the end of the day, we really couldn’t know what he’d do, and we based this off of one route he could have taken with this film that certainly starts by reviving that fun and magical aesthetic. In keeping with the Star Wars thematic comparisons, this could have very well functioned as a TLJ-style incorporation of material to help tie things together before moving forward even more. However, we’re also hoping the new material that we’ve begun to develop in these cues will fit into that picture!

Also… yes. Book Krum would have been much different. Then again, so would book Beauxbatons. Apart from those dramatic changes, we’ve tried to at least emotionally/conceptually capture the books, as much as the film will allow.

BP

Happy Birthday John Williams! We’re releasing this week’s cue a day early to celebrate! Coincidentally this week’s cue shares the title with the movie as well so everything seemed to line up perfectly today. Check out Cue No. 8 - The Goblet of Fire

Thanks for listening!  

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, my, God. As someone who was introduced to film music through Patrick Doyle's masterful score, I really didn't like this project when I first read about it. But I just listened to some samples and must say I'm blown away. Doyle is still irreplaceable, but, my goodness… this is just… something else entirely.

Thor is partly right though, 5 and 6 need rescoring.

I haven’t had a chance to listen to the latest cues, but I will do as soon as possible: this is a really interesting project, thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Just listened to Cue 6-7-8-9, and I must say I really like what you're doing: the plotting motif is very fitting, and hearing "A Window To The Past" got me emotional, can't wait to hear what you have in store, @Ravendor Studios!

@bollemanneke Wow, that means a lot! We really did want this to be something else from Doyle’s score. A way of continuing the narrative, musically. Official opinion on the scores from 5 and 6 withheld, but you’re right, it would be awesome to see that continued into those chapters. As @redishere mentioned, Window to the Past is just so emotional especially now that it could recall 3.

MS

@redishere Thank you so much for the warm response to the score so far! We’re so glad to see so many positive reactions to the project. We’re really looking forward to sharing what’s coming soon. Thanks for the excitement!

BP

6 hours ago, redishere said:

Great one @Ravendor Studios! Loved the Double Trouble variation for the Weasley twins :)

Thank you, glad to hear it! Finally having all the Double Trouble variations when the La-La Land release came out was a huge highlight for me. So we definitely wanted to introduce some more and riff off of the playfulness of PoA when we got the chance, too.

MS

Hi everyone! We’ve got two cues this week for you. These cues, No. 11: The Four Champions and No. 12: Teacher Discussion, see the end of act 1 of the plot in Goblet of Fire, and look towards some major developments going forward. We hope you enjoy and, as always, thanks for listening! 

Wow, I just found out about this and it's pretty darn epic!

Now big question: how do I get these videos to play on my TV?

I'd like to watch them properly.

8 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Wow, I just found out about this and it's pretty darn epic!

Now big question: how do I get these videos to play on my TV?

I'd like to watch them properly.

Cool, thanks!! 

I don't know what kind of TV you're using, but on my Firestick browser it works to hit the pop out arrow in the top right corner of the videos. Otherwise I think you'd have to HDMI, since they're embedded via Google Drive instead of YouTube, and not downloadable. 

MS

Thanks for responding.

I've got a Samsung TV.

First I hear of "fire stick".

Maybe you'll consider YouTube-ing the set after the whole movie is posted...?

Would be nice to sit back, relax and enjoy it all together. :)

1 hour ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Thanks for responding.

I've got a Samsung TV.

First I hear of "fire stick".

Maybe you'll consider YouTube-ing the set after the whole movie is posted...?

Would be nice to sit back, relax and enjoy it all together. :)

Problem is YouTube would probably delete them

Would they?

I'm surprised at what they allow.

There's this channel "Ambient Worlds" that has loops of plenty well-known film music.

No removals there; just some ads here and there.

From what I understand, as long as there is enough new content added, you are pretty safe.

"They" might take the ad revenue if "they" believe they've got the rights.

With this thread, the clips are relatively short and without their sound effects.

That should remove a lot of copyright concerns.

It's not like posting the entire movie online for free.

And nobody can complain about @Ravendor Studios

' original compositions.

People are allowed to post their own work.

Even when it's based on existing work.

Just look at that "Samuel Kim Music" channel for example.

I've once had a 'scare' from one of my videos.

Someone claimed ownership of the music, even though it was written especially for us and based on a 17th century folk tune.

But all I had to do was to press one button to claim ownership right back.

Never heard anything of it again and it's all good.

Apparently there are AI's scouring YouTube to find stuff that certain parties believe is theirs.

This can be pretty extreme as any random rain sound could be claimed.

But mostly this just affects monetization.

Viewers will get ads while somebody other than the uploader gets the revenue.

3 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

I'm surprised at what they allow.

We actually did test them on YouTube, and they will get banned. Even though the audio is original, WB has blocks on any visual content it finds (longer than a certain amount of time). And we would really like to not get sued for trying to share this project. However, I'd like to try posting an audio file on the site afterwards with the whole thing that could be lined up with the movie, so the option would be available and it would avoid that issue!

MS

Just now, Ravendor Studios said:

We actually did test them on YouTube, and they will get banned. Even though the audio is original, WB has blocks on any visual content it finds (longer than a certain amount of time).

Wow... WB seems quite picky then!

Well, fair enough and kudo's for trying!

I would hate for you to get sued too.

You're doing such a good job; you deserve credit, not headaches.

2 minutes ago, Ravendor Studios said:

However, I'd like to try posting an audio file on the site afterwards with the whole thing that could be lined up with the movie, so the option would be available and it would avoid that issue!

I like that idea!

Makes a lot of sense.

Plus... A "soundtrack release" like that probably would make for a nice listen apart from the movie too.

I'll be cautiously looking forward to it. ;)

The Azkaban film edit recreations using film footage and actual non-original audio are all still up, so it seems somewhat random.

Bizarre. That would seem more copyright-infringe-y than this because it's all original recordings.

Could it be film-dependent somehow?

I understand film/TV legal rights can be quite the nightmare.

And differ wildly from country to country too.

Or could it depend on the country of the uploader then instead?

On 3/3/2020 at 8:31 AM, Holko said:

The Azkaban film edit recreations using film footage and actual non-original audio are all still up, so it seems somewhat random.

Do they have any filters or is the footage flipped?

19 minutes ago, Holko said:

No, just simple straight uploads.

Any borders? (Flipped not reversed btw)

Yeah, I have no idea why those work. It must be different between films. You're right, I've seen much longer clips from other films left on YouTube, including Wizard People Dear Reader with Sorcerer's Stone. GoF clips longer than 1 minute got banned instantly (even through private message). We could put a filter over it but would rather not risk getting flagged since they're so not lenient.

MS

Rita's bit is fun and energetic.

(And a bit annoying; just like the character.)

The Family Theme is always welcome and fits nicely.

It's transition to Window to the Past is truly inspired!

The second always seemed like a replacement for the first to me.

I love that you're keeping both.

Nice "Raiders March" approach there. ;)

The return of those Chamber of Secrets themes in that second video is really nice too.

Appropriately dark atmosphere there in the opening.

And I especially like the Weasley theme.

@Pieter Boelen  So glad to see your reaction to the moments we were most excited about! Thanks - and yes, Rita's theme definitely went for an annoying vibe. Working with the Past and Family themes was something we wanted to plan going in, because we really wanted them to work together so this could be a sequel for both of the musical and character storylines. The middle of this movie is helpful to tie some of those things together.

Thank you for all your comments, great to hear!!

MS

I'm locked in my house as well, so these new cues are exactly what I needed!
Would love to hear a real orchestra play what you composed, it's so good.

I've noticed you didn't score the scene with Harry and Ron fighting: was this a deliberate choice?

1 hour ago, redishere said:

I'm locked in my house as well, so these new cues are exactly what I needed!
Would love to hear a real orchestra play what you composed, it's so good.

I've noticed you didn't score the scene with Harry and Ron fighting: was this a deliberate choice?

Thank you! So glad you’re able to enjoy these while trapped in your house! In terms of the Ron/Harry fight, I don’t think it was deliberate. We both recognized mostly that their fight is just a petty one that doesn’t necessarily need to be dramatically underscored. We have, however, scored the scene where they make amends and become friends again, so watch out for that!

BP

4 hours ago, Ravendor Studios said:

Thank you! So glad you’re able to enjoy these while trapped in your house! In terms of the Ron/Harry fight, I don’t think it was deliberate. We both recognized mostly that their fight is just a petty one that doesn’t necessarily need to be dramatically underscored. We have, however, scored the scene where they make amends and become friends again, so watch out for that!

BP

You're right! :) Can't wait to hear what you have in store! 

Nice one again!

I especially appreciate Hermione's theme reappearing.

That was one of the highlights of Chamber of Secrets.

Really too bad it was used only once in there.

Same with all those other glorious one-off motifs.

I really like you promoting them to proper theme status.

9 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Nice one again!

I especially appreciate Hermione's theme reappearing.

That was one of the highlights of Chamber of Secrets.

Really too bad it was used only once in there.

Same with all those other glorious one-off motifs.

I really like you promoting them to proper theme status.

Thank you! We really wanted to bring that back for her and this spot seemed emotionally appropriate. Glad you like it. We hoped to incorporate some of those moments briefly established by JW to tie in as the story grows! 

MS

Hi everyone! The moment is here! We are so excited to share Cue No. 18: The First Task with you all. This is truly the first big action set piece in the score, and it gave us a chance to essentially write "Quidditch Year 4." We hope you enjoy this fun cue that's an homage to the old with a mixture of the new!

Nicely done again!

I didn't truly approve of the Quidditch music being repeated in that second year as much as it was.

But I like how you did add something new, as well add linking it with the third year.

That was a nice touch.

Nimbus 2000 was severely missed in that scene in the film, so I really welcome hearing that here properly.

Harry's Wondrous World seemed a bit too happy-sounding at the end (even for me, who generally likes that).

But then the transition to the common room worked marvelously again and basically undid my initial apprehension to it being used here.

My favourite part though is the Ollivander's wand theme showing up.

That was really FAR, FAR, FAR too good to be a single-use only.

So thank you!

Once again. :D

@Pieter Boelen Thanks for sharing your thoughts!! We appreciate the feedback - glad you ended up liking the cue.

For the ending sequence, that Quidditch fanfare/Wondrous World idea was one of our earlier ones (along with the return of Nimbus 2000). This movie still has its moments that show Harry's just a 14-year-old; the books are able to convey it more, but it was important to have that trajectory in mind. We thought this could be one of those moments, with the relief after the first big daunting task.

Adding to the Quidditch/action repertoire and just including quotes from 1-3 was definitely a fun goal for the scene. Also, I felt the same way about Quidditch Second Year until the La-La Land collection came out and I could appreciate the whole thing with the context of the full score too. Either way, we wanted a different spin on it than any of the other movies individually.

Wand of the Phoenix definitely deserved to be incorporated in the future and has some important potential!

MS

58 minutes ago, Ravendor Studios said:

For the ending sequence, that Quidditch fanfare/Wondrous World idea was one of our earlier ones (along with the return of Nimbus 2000). This movie still has its moments that show Harry's just a 14-year-old; the books are able to convey it more, but it was important to have that trajectory in mind. We thought this could be one of those moments, with the relief after the first big daunting task.

Indeed I do like maintaining some lighter touch than the movies did.

And certainly what you came up with seems much better there than the official 'bombast, bombast, BOMBAST' we ended up getting.

That first task was really a missed opportunity by Doyle. He did better in some bits in the second...

59 minutes ago, Ravendor Studios said:

Adding to the Quidditch/action repertoire and just including quotes from 1-3 was definitely a fun goal for the scene. Also, I felt the same way about Quidditch Second Year until the La-La Land collection came out and I could appreciate the whole thing with the context of the full score too. Either way, we wanted a different spin on it than any of the other movies individually.

I agree; it's a grower, that second year. More fun than it seemed originally in the movie.

1 hour ago, Ravendor Studios said:

Wand of the Phoenix definitely deserved to be incorporated in the future and has some important potential!

Was actually listening to Chamber of Secrets earlier today and noticed it was used there at some point too.

Not sure what was happening in the movie when it played, but that does undo my original 'single-use only' statement.

Much better that way! :D

Hi all, here are two cues for this week! It's now leading up to the Yule Ball, and it was nice to have some lightness again in the score. Let us know what you think of Cue No. 19: Resolve and Post Arrives, and Cue No. 20: Dance Preparations.

Thanks for listening!

14 hours ago, Ravendor Studios said:

Hi all, here are two cues for this week! It's now leading up to the Yule Ball, and it was nice to have some lightness again in the score. Let us know what you think of Cue No. 19: Resolve and Post Arrives, and Cue No. 20: Dance Preparations.

Thanks for listening!

YES! Thank you! Every Ravendor Studios notification is a good notification :D 

For #19 I especially like the Weasley's theme reappearing for quite a bit.

But of course HWW is always welcome too.

Some nice Hedwig variations in #20.

Though I wonder what that one would've been like without the celeste at the start.

That sounded a bit too "normal" to me.

But then it veered off in other fun directions soon enough, so... what redishere said. ;)