Lorne Balfe's BLACK WIDOW (2021)

Jay

10 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I can't imagine what it will sound like.

Anyone have an example of superhero like theme Desplat has written?

If this was coming out 15+ years ago, it might have sounded something like this:

Now, given this character in particular, it'll probably sound something like this:

Either way, I'm intrigued.

I don't know if full on superhero is what they'll go for here, since I do hear it being described as a spy film a lot. Though being that it's presumably a stylistic continuation of TWS, I guess we could have our one heroic fanfare. Plus, I think just about every MCU score has like a proper hero theme, so I'm not sure what I'm doubting here.

16 minutes ago, KK said:

If this was coming out 15+ years ago, it might have sounded something like this:

This theme was what I thought of but a little more “muscular” here

Still not really Black Widow, though...I could see him doing some noble hero theme for this a la Argo or Unbroken, though.

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

I don't know if full on superhero is what they'll go for here, since I do hear it being described as a spy film a lot. Though being that it's presumably a stylistic continuation of TWS, I guess we could have our one heroic fanfare. Plus, I think just about every MCU score has like a proper hero theme, so I'm not sure what I'm doubting here.

Every solo hero gets a theme in Marvel - Cap, Thor (3 of them), Iron Man (3 of them), Dr. Strange, Spiederman, Black Panther, Captain Marvel.

So I am sure Widow will get a superhero theme too.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Which Desplat will not use.

Certainly not, yea

Just now, Edmilson said:

Don't know about the theme, but I guess the action music will sound like Valerian.

Cremeritis!

Actually it isn't, we posted different tracks from the Valerian OST, and you used your example as how a Desplat super-hero theme might sound like, and I used mine as how his action music for BW might sound. :)

I missed the "theme" word in his post when I replied.  I meant it like you did, that the action music might have that flair to it.  I have no idea what type of theme he'd write for Natasha, depends on what her arc is in the film really

I don't understand this movie...

Spoiler

The character died at the end of Phase 3 but her solo film, set years before Endgame, is the first film of Phase 4. Shouldn't this movie have come out years ago?

Sure, but Disney wasn't willing to pull the trigger on a big-budget female-led superhero film until Captain Marvel, for whatever reason, so now they are catching up on what they should have done after The Avengers

I really like Scarlett's Natasha, for me it should have been the first female led MCU movie instead of Carol Blandvers aka Craptain Marvel.

As for the score, I'm surprised that they chose Desplat, since this seems to be more of a spy movie, and The Eternals seems to fit more his style. Alex's action blockbusters are usually more in the fantasy or sci fi realm (Deathly Hallows, The Golden Compass, Godzilla, Valerian, etc). If I'm not mistaken, the latest action/adventure movie he did that didn't involve fantastical elements was Firewall way back in 2006, right?

Yea, but he's done plenty of thrillers over the years, which is probably the sound he'll draw on for this.

A Desplat spy movie, at least with something more extroverted like Bond, would probably have action material along these lines:

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Sure, but Disney wasn't willing to pull the trigger on a big-budget female-led superhero film until Captain Marvel, for whatever reason, so now they are catching up on what they should have done after The Avengers

There's no interesting female characters who don't already have some development in the main films. At this point they're trying to stretch the IP far enough to make something like Wanda Vision for Scarlet Witch, who had such terrible scenes in the Avengers films. Then you have this film, literally going back to when the character was alive to squeeze some juice out of Scarlett Johansson's character.

Who's clamouring for any of this? 

13 hours ago, Arpy said:

There's no interesting female characters who don't already have some development in the main films. At this point they're trying to stretch the IP far enough to make something like Wanda Vision for Scarlet Witch, who had such terrible scenes in the Avengers films. Then you have this film, literally going back to when the character was alive to squeeze some juice out of Scarlett Johansson's character.

Serious talks about a standalone Black Widow film started as soon as Scarlett was cast in Iron Man 2 (10 years ago now) and Scarlett herself has expressed interest in such a film for years now.

13 hours ago, Arpy said:

Who's clamouring for any of this? 

They're called "fans." You may have heard of them.

This is long overdue mainly because the last time the character was interesting was in The Winter Soldier.

Whedon botched Black Widow in Age Of Ultron by coupling her with Banner and trying to address her back story in a film that was already far to crammed.

Civil War and the last 2 Avengers films didn't really do much with her.

Would be nice to actually see Nat be interesting again.

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

This is long overdue mainly because the last time the character was interesting was in The Winter Soldier.

Whedon botched Black Widow in Age Of Ultron by coupling her with Banner and trying to address her back story in a film that was already far to crammed.

I basically agree with you, but I will say that in Endgame she nailed her one interesting scene as a character: the one holding down the fort at Avengers HQ not long after the "5 Years Later" jump, the scene with Rogers.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I agree. She was fantastic in Winter Solder in essentially the co-lead role. Avengers is good too. All the rest of her outings are okay.

Scarlett is of course a big star and marquee name but MCU hasn't exactly given her great material to work with so far.

Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm have their own studio heads that  manage their own cast and crew hirings and firings without someone from Disney corporate needing to intervene except in extreme cases I am sure.  Like Marvel firing Gunn surely came from above Feige

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm have their own studio heads that  manage their own cast and crew hirings and firings without someone from Disney corporate needing to intervene except in extreme cases I am sure.  Like Marvel firing Gunn surely came from above Feige

Iger can make any decision with Lucasfilm and Marvel that he wants.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Was he?

But he wasn't, Rogue One's production schedule was so complicated that he couldn't arrange the proper time to watch, write and record the score, which is a shame. I would've been potentially more interesting than anything Gia came up, even if he, Gia, had more time.

Insider reports back then indicated there was at least some misery because Disney mandated insertion/quotes whatever of Williams stuff that Desplat refused to do, also.

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

But he wasn't, Rogue One's production schedule was so complicated that he couldn't arrange the proper time to watch, write and record the score, which is a shame. I would've been potentially more interesting than anything Gia came up, even if he, Gia, had more time.

Where do you get that from? (not saying you're wrong, just that I've read differently)

I've seen multiple accounts on here more along the lines of publicist's, which suggested that Desplat wanted to do his own thing, while Disney insisted that JW's themes and styles had to be respected.

There were probably more reasons at play, but it seems highly unlikely that they threw at out a whole score more or less finished at the eleventh minute if it was just scheduling issues. Remember, Desplat also has a team of guys helping him out, they would have found a way to make this work.