JWFan EXCLUSIVE: The Rise of Skywalker Partial Cue List Revealed

Jay

That order seems to correlate with the original plot leaks (as far as the order of sequences, the later Emperor reveal, etc).  I had assumed that the leaker made a mistake in their placement (i.e. was piecing it together), but it seems like that was just the original order of things.  Crazy how much they shuffled the thing around in the last few weeks.

the tracklisting seem to be ok.... (old version before reshoots and re edits )

Zucini > zucchini  ? ^_^
Poe and Girlfriend > Zorii Bliss
Red Eyes > C3P0

Sources composed by J J Abrams and Lin-Manuel Miranda
2S35 JJ Festival Music

3S35 JJ Bar Source

On 15/01/2020 at 2:07 PM, D_A_R_T_H said:

Sources composed by J J Abrams
2S35 JJ Festival Music

3S35 JJ Bar Source

He had co-composers

Soundtrack Credits 

Lido Hey
Written by Lin-Manuel Miranda and J.J. Abrams
Produced and Performed by Shag F. Kava
Oma's Place
Written, Produced and Performed by Ricky Tinez and J.J. Abrams

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2527338/soundtrack

A nursery? And I guess they were going to show Vader's castle on Mustafar.

Awesome!!!

8M14 Ben to Rey -  4:16... is that Farewell? 8M11A is presumably when Rey dies... and 9M03 would be the film version of Reunion, right? Since it has Force, Yoda, Rey, Luke/Leia themes

6M04 Daisy in a Veil

:flush:

16 minutes ago, Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) said:

One thing of note: I'm pretty confident "Psalm of the Sith" was Williams's original, intended name for the "Anthem of Evil." So, so much better as a title!

Possibly, but then why would it also be 8M04?

15 minutes ago, dylanskie said:

A nursery? And I guess they were going to show Vader's castle on Mustafar.

Certainly, and it makes you wonder if the powerful Imperial March rendition in Journey to Exegol on the OST that was tracked into the final cut's prologue as well as when the Final Order's fleet is revealed at the end is actually 1M15 Vader's Castle

8M14 Ben to Rey -  4:16... is that Farewell? 8M11A is presumably when Rey dies... and 9M03 would be the film version of Reunion, right?

I think

• OST 15A [0:00-3:02] The Force Is with You / FYC 20 Seeing Sights = 7M38 I Am All The Sith
  • OST 15B [3:02-end] The Force Is with You / FYC 21 Rescue = 8M10 Success and Sliding
  • OST 16A [0:00-0:48] Farewell = 8M11A Dropping The Sabre
  • OST 16B [0:48-end] Farewell / FYC 22 Farewell = 8M14 Ben to Rey
  • OST 17 Reunion = 9M03 Bows
  • OST 18 A New Home / FYC 23 A New Home = 9M05ALT Return to Tatooine
  • OST 19 Finale = 8M15 Horn Solo & 8M16 End Credits

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Possibly, but then why would it also be 8M04?

Hmm, that I'm not sure about. My guess is that the "Psalm" part refers at the very least to the (unused) the acapella, psalm-y choral part that begins the "Anthem of Evil" OST track, though that lasts 1:41 rather than the 0:43 listed here. In terms of ordering, 8M04 is especially confusing since it comes after 7m38 "I Am All The Sith" in this list, which would be the last big statement of any of the evil-associated music in the film, right? 

Don't forget, these are not the lengths of the original compositions, these are the lengths that were timed by someone as edited and used in this cut of the film

BTW if you look, lots of cues for scenes that were always have to be adjacent sometimes are listed as two different reels, which just means the cut kept changing as JW kept writing.  When  a cue moves from one spot to another, that's called "rebalancing"

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think

• FYC 21 Rescue = 8M10 Success and Sliding
  • OST 16A [0:00-0:48] = 8M11A Dropping The Sabre
  • OST 16B [0:48-end] / FYC 22 Farewell = 9M03 Bows
  • OST 17 Reunion = 8M14 Ben to Rey
  • OST 18 A New Home / FYC 23 A New Home = 9M05ALT Return to Tatooine
  • OST 19 Finale = 8M15 Horn Solo & 8M16 End Credits

But 9M03 has all the returning themes in it like Reunion, and 8M14 doesn't, so shouldn't it be

• OST 16B [0:48-end] / FYC 22 Farewell = 8M14 Ben to Rey
  • OST 17 Reunion= 9M03 Bows

I'm so glad to see all this new info!

You're right ! I messed up pasting info from the original doc into the table.  I fixed it, and my subsequent post!

Thank you, Jay! This is exciting stuff to read. It speaks strongly to what was a very different (and probably better) cut of the film that we're unlikely ever to see. A pity.

Oh, and this should be definitive proof Darth Vader's Death from ROTJ was tracked in and not re-recording, I suppose

2 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

…Kef Bir, maybe?

To be clear, I didn't add the ? because I couldn't read something, the actual cue was listed that way in the doc, in all 3 spots it appears

Cue#: 5M10 “LANDING AT ?” 

And yea, certainly for the landing on Kef Bir cue, IE The Old Death Star

2 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

I’m guessing that 1M022 is really 1M2 v2 (or similar)?

That's what I assume, yep!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

To be clear, I didn't add the ? because I couldn't read something, the actual cue was listed that way in the doc, in all 3 spots it appears

Cue#: 5M10 “LANDING AT ?”

I know, I was just speculating. Your source omitted something they couldn’t make out, probably a weird planet name, I reckoned. The planet (I mean moon) name was set in stone long ago, we know.

I just figured out what 4M04 Zucini? is all about - that's gotta be the cue where Poe reveals he knows someone who can help them on Kijimi, AKA the FYC cue "To Kijimi" :p

Could be, yep!

Oddly the Nov 11 cut didn't seem to use Luke's Theme for that sequence, or they messed up and didn't note it down

Lot of things to observe here. The first that I'm noticing is that Peace and Purpose isn't listed as tracked, so the version of the film at this point still had Williams's original music for that scene (8M07 Big Ship Blows Up?).

I think Williams may have constructed the OST track "Fanfare and Prologue" to be like the film was in the Nov 11 cut

[0:00-1:26] = 1M01 Main Title
[1:26-2:06] = 1M022 The Ninth Beginning, which ran for 40 seconds in Nov 11 cut with 6 seconds of Kylo's Theme, just like here
[2:06-end] = 1M08 Approaching The Nursery, which is notated as containing The Emperor's Theme in the portion of it that is tracked into reel 3 in the Nov 11 cut

Maybe something like that?  Who knows...

I can't figure out for the life of me what's up with Journey to Exegol though.  Looking through the table, can't really see the right lengths for Ren on Mustafar fighting guys then getting the wayfinder like happens in the final cut.  It's weird.

On 1/15/2020 at 8:06 PM, Jay said:

Apparently only Rey, Kylo, and Resistance count as old themes, as Poe's theme is never mentioned despite recurring in new iterations in this score.  The new Kylo Redeemed / Ben Solo theme seems to count as a NEW theme here as its not mentioned as an OLD theme in its cues.

Perhaps Poe's Theme wasn't in this cut? Poe's Theme in Battle of the Resistance and Reunion was cut from the final cut. And the version we here in the old Death Star (FYC) could be an alternativ version of what we here on the OST and was recorded after this cut.

4 minutes ago, The Five Tones said:

The pop culture-level status of Khachaturian's Sabre Dance during his training/early career?

This spelling used to be more prevalent in his generation's youth than it is now. Consider the coolest dogfighter of his service time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_F-86_Sabre

I recall seeing the phrase "light sabre" multiple times in OT-related materials / interviews.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think Williams may have constructed the OST track "Fanfare and Prologue" to be like the film was in the Nov 11 cut

[0:00-1:26] = 1M01 Main Title
[1:26-2:06] = 1M022 The Ninth Beginning, which ran for 40 seconds in Nov 11 cut with 6 seconds of Kylo's Theme, just like here
[2:06-end] = 1M08 Approaching The Nursery, which is notated as containing The Emperor's Theme in the portion of it that is tracked into reel 3 in the Nov 11 cut

Maybe something like that?  Who knows...

This seems to be the case. But what is the nursery, then? The lab where Snoke clones are growing? Kylo approaches the nursery that belongs to Palpatine? Creepy...

No in this Nov 11 cut, Ren doesn't even find out Palps is alive until reel 3 (!), so all the cues here before Rey's training were for some OTHER prologue.

Could still be mustafar stuff though... I dunno

Apaprently The Oracle (cut character) sat in a big baby statue's head on Mustafar so it all makes sense.  The original opening would have still featured Kylo on Mustafar, but actually shown more of him and hte Knights fighting, and involved him doing more than just sliding open a stone tablet thingy to get the wayfinder, he would have had to interact with The Oracle to get it, and it would have been clear he was near Vader's castle, and this was Vader's Wayfinder, etc... he just, apparently originally didn't go immediately from there to Exegol, he only finally went to Exegol later in the film, after interrupting Rey's training session.

It's CLEAR cues were used for things they weren't intended for, in all the reels!

8M cues in reel 1!  1M cues in reels 3, 5, and 6!

It's madness.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's CLEAR cues were used for things they weren't intended for, in all the reels!

8M cues in reel 1!  1M cues in reels 3, 5, and 6!

It's madness.

Oh duh. What a mess. 

Regarding Journey to Exegol, is it possible the track on the OST is actually more than one cue edited together?

I have a dumb person question about cues. I know the first number is the reel, but is there a strict rhyme or reason to the second number? Like, is it always the case that something like 1m08 is the scene right before 1m09? What happens if a scene is inserted into the first reel and Williams writes a new cue for it, what sort of number does it get? I wonder because I know some of these scenes were added in reshoots.

28 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Horn solo cuetitle is giacchino bad. How embarrassing Lol

I don't understand what you mean.  It's the Force Theme on solo horn that opens up the final OST track.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Every track on the OST is more than one cue edited together

Well sure but I meant more like maybe some of it was originally written for reel one while some of it was originally written for reel six or whatever, as opposed to it being say three different cues that were all originally scored for Rey's trip to Exegol or something.

Score cue list and one of Trevorrow's scripts leaking?

A bountiful day indeed!

Also, last-minute mucking around with the scene order... definitely did not do the film any favours. This list confirms that.

"Landing At ?" - did they not know the name of Kef Bir when this was written?

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

When JW would have sat down to the watch the film for the first time with JJ, they would have "spotted" the film, meaning decided where within each reel music would start and stop, and they'd have some discussions about tone and possibly themes to use.  At this point there'd be a list of cues that are all in order, in the same order as the cut of the film they just watched, and JW would have gone off to start writing them. 

Well, as he started writing, JJ continually re-edited the film, so after a series of major edits, the cue list would be "re-balanced", meaning cues that were originally in one place may now be in another.  The third cue of reel 2 could not be the last cue in reel 1, or whatever.  Sometimes, on some scores, they reflect this by renumbering them, IE 2M1 becaomes NEW 1M10 or something.  Sometimes not.  Usually once something's recorded, or even just fully orchestrated, it just lives with that original numbering forever, and the music team just keeps track of what everything was meant for and where everything goes.

In the olden days, this was less of an issue.  In the modern days, with so many tools allowing directors to easily edit and re-edit their picture, and the music along with it, it gets more complicated.

Interesting.

I ask because I read an interview with the editor of the film who mentioned that the scene of Rey meditating was added in reshoots. So just wondering if that might have affected its cue numbering.

1M14 Falcon Flight isn't represented in this list either (instead labelled 1M26 Lightspeed Skipping) which is curious. That was recorded the same day as End Credits (see JKMS Instagram post). 

Also curious -- the end credits in this spreadsheet only lists 30 seconds of Luke's Theme and one minute of Rey's Theme under existing material, despite the final credits suite featuring blatant lifts from the Imperial March, Main Title, etc. Unintentional notation error or did JW have a different credits suite comprised only of new themes, before recording a new version on the same day as Falcon Flight (missing from this list)?