JWFan EXCLUSIVE: The Rise of Skywalker Partial Cue List Revealed

Jay

Proabbaly already been figured out, but 1:57 of the FYC track In the Desert has had a statement of the Anthem of Evil theme tracked in.

Just now, Jay said:

How do you know its tracked in?

You can hear the fade in at 1:57, and the FYC track is 2:26, where the original duration (indicated in your spreadsheet list) says 2:15, so I assumed that as originally recorded the cue just faded out with those sustained strings at 1:56 (you can hear them underneath the potentially tracked section around 1:58-2:02).

Oh, like JJ tinkered with the film and moved the shots of the stormtroopers taking Chewie away into this cue?  Possibly, though the fast music in the cue a little bit before that is Finn running out and hiding behind a rock because he see the stormtroopers

Oh wait, or maybe he just tracked that in bit to get the theme in there to remind the audience the importance of the Sith Dagger?

Is there any cue timings for Destiny of a Jedi & They Will Come? I presume those tracks have been figured out as they now list the cues in the spreadsheet.

1 hour ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

@Jay7m10 seems to be is 3:02 on, and line up theme wise.

1:13-3:02 seems to line up with Luke's Advice.

0:21-1:13 seems to line up with Sabre Toss...

0:00-0:21 no clue about whether it is part of Sabre Toss or not

I would assume 1:29-End would be 7m05 March of the Resistance

15 hours ago, CGCJ said:

Is there any cue timings for Destiny of a Jedi & They Will Come? I presume those tracks have been figured out as they now list the cues in the spreadsheet.

Destiny of a Jedi seems to be

• [0:00-1:13] (1:13) = 6M20 Sabre Toss
  • [1:13-3:02] (1:49) = 7M03 Luke's Advice
  • [3:02-end] (2:09) = 7M10 Leia's Sabre

They Will Come seems to be

• [0:00-0:57] (0:57) = either 7M04 The Meeting or some unknown cue we don't know the name of, it was replaced by 53 seconds of tracked music from 6M55R from Ep.7 Council Meeting in the Nov 11 and final cut of the film so doesn't appear on the document
  • [0:57-1:29] (0:32) = 7M04 The Meeting
  • [1:29-end]  (1:20) = 7M05 March Of The Resistance

In both the Nov 11 cut and the final cut, what's on the OST from 2:09-end (the amazing rendition of the Victory Theme) is replaced by the March of the Resistance concert arrangement from TFA

35 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Proabbaly already been figured out, but 1:57 of the FYC track In the Desert has had a statement of the Anthem of Evil theme tracked in.

0:44-0:50 of Hard to Get Rid Of on the FYC is tracked from Farewell.

8 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Yup!:)

7 minutes ago, CGCJ said:

Are you not 100% certain of them?

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

We aren't sure of anything!

I hear some similarites between 1:12-1:19 of Hard to get Rid Of (FYC), and 1:24 of 1:35 of The Old Death Star (FYC)... A motif? tracking? or just a coincedence?

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Doesn't sound the same to me

I dunno, the descending Low strings at 1:13 and brass at 1:18 of Get Rid Of, kind of seems to be a faster version of the descending English Horn/Cor Anglais at 1:29 (and low strings at 1:25) of Death Star.

BTW, there's a (mono) clean & extended ending for 7M20 Approaching The Throne available in this youtube video (from 7:02-7:23)

Also 0:29-0:33 is identical to 2:08-2:11.

Also, the hit at 0:29 and 0:50 are the same, so that whole section should be snipped out in an expanded edit.

@Jay 1:37-1:39 of Hard to Get Rid of, is the same as the unknown bit at the end of the FYC Prologue!

I also think 0:07 of the FYC prologue, might just be partially from 0:49 of Journey to Exegol.

19 hours ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Also, the hit at 0:29 and 0:50 are the same, so that whole section should be snipped out in an expanded edit.

@Jay 1:37-1:39 of Hard to Get Rid of, is the same as the unknown bit at the end of the FYC Prologue!

I also think 0:07 of the FYC prologue, might just be partially from 0:49 of Journey to Exegol.

1:52.5 is the same ending as the actual track ending too, so that following section should be snipped. However, I don't know where the material used comes from - a small portion also appears at the end of the FYC Prologue cue.

23 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

1:52.5 is the same ending as the actual track ending too, so that following section should be snipped. However, I don't know where the material used comes from - a small portion also appears at the end of the FYC Prologue cue.

What about 1:20 and 1:27, do you think those are the same brass notes? or just a coincidence?

Instructions on how to combine the FYC and the OST together into an expanded edit have been posted right here since a few days after the film came out

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Instructions on how to combine the FYC and the OST together into an expanded edit have been posted right here since a few days after the film came out

Not what I meant. I do have my own chronological playlist. I meant how would Mike Matessino assemble main programme if it's such a mess? 

Karol

Ah.  I know if I was the one doing it, I'd make a main program out of his earliest version of all the cues, and then all the inserts and revisions into a bonus track area

So, we know now that JW did wrote and recorded a cue for General Pryde's ship exploding at the end of the climax (8M07 Big Ships Blows Up), but on the final movie that went replaced by Peace and Purpose from TLJ, right? Therefore, the decision of replacing JW's original music for Peace and Purpose must have came very late on the process.

Do we know if there was some other tracked music from the other Episodes that is not covered by the document, i.e. being a late decision?

Speaking of Psalm of Sith being an actual cue and stuff... What if the two "concert suites" were actually just edited tracks from the score material like Window to the Past and not the actual recorded suites? Unless of course maybe it is the creepy satanic chanting?

Karol

It's entirely possible, sure!  We have no way of knowing right now >shrug<

I mean about Anthem of Evil.  The Rise of Skywalker is 100% for certain a true concert arrangement from start to finish.

What about 1:20 and 1:27, do you think those are the same brass notes? or just a coincidence?

Given a few listens and a look, they appear to not be the same note, but between those two times it definitely sounds like there is an edit.

20 hours ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

1:37-1:39 of Hard to Get Rid of, is the same as the unknown bit at the end of the FYC Prologue!

BRILLIANT WORK FALEEL!!  Nice job!

Google Doc and FYC/OST editing guide updated.

20 hours ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

1 hour ago, Giftheck said:

I'll investigate this track as soon as I can

Someone probably already posted it here, but between the Nov 11 cut of the movie, and the final cut, "just" 2 cues Williams wrote for TROS were replaced for tracked material from other movies. The Ninth Beginning was replaced by Ep VII's Starry Night, and Big Ships Blows Up was replaced by Ep VIII's Peace and Purpose.

Somehow this is a little surprising, I thought there was going to be more... 

Anyway, by Nov 11 they've already figured out almost all of the score, and what cues from other movies would find their way into TROS, except for these two, since now we know JW wrote music for them. 

Here's anticipating for the Blu Ray of the movie, so someone can make an edit of the post crawl scene with The Ninth Beginning for us to compare how JW's original intention differs from those of the final cut on this particular scene.

You gotta wonder what goes through JW’s head when they track cues from other scores and shuffle existing cues to different scenes. I’m sure he’s used to it by now, but being a perfectionist it’s probably very frustrating. 

Just now, filmmusic said:

Complete film scores of all the 9 films should be released as a giant box set.

It would be the release of the century.

It would, but it would also be insanely expensive. I know I couldn't afford what I would assume would be a 27-disc box set (assuming 3 discs for each Prequel, 2 for each OT and 4 for each ST)

I mean no wonder it took JW a year for each of these scores. With just pencil and paper, it’s a colossal workload. John Barry remarked once how sometimes it took a whole day just to work out the timings for a cue before he even wrote a note. It’s no wonder that in his later years his style shifted to a more broad-strokes approach with less emphasis on sync points. I can only imagine how time consuming it is the way Williams follows the action. 

Williams apparently recorded 3+ hours of music for each Sequel Trilogy score, so it'll had to be at least 3 discs for each score. 70 minutes x 3 discs = 210 minutes, or 3h30 of material, which is fine enough, I guess. It's not totally undoable and unheard of for a specialty label (Philosopher's Stone on the JW HP collection and A.I. also had 3 discs), but for Disney... would it be commercially interesting such release for them? Even if it's a special 3 disc release for each movie, instead of a mega 9 discs box set?

I don't see Disney doing it with SW, at least not for now. 

As for how a complete, special edition of TROS would be presented... maybe priorizing JW's most final vision for the score on the main program, with alternates and earlier versions as bonues? 

In other words, let's suppose that when he was finishing his work on the movie, the most final vision he had for reel 1 was:

1M01 Main Title

1M022 The Ninth Beginning

1M06 Ren's Entrance

1M15 Vader's Castle

1M08 Approaching The Nursery

1M09 Rey Wakes Up

1M13 Tell Me What They Are

1M20 Rey Training

1M24 Meditation

1M26 Spy's Message

1M14 Falcon Flight

i.e. Crawl, Kylo goes to Mustafar to investigate Palpatine, Kylo arrives on Exegol (but doesn't meet Palpy yet), Rey trains with Leia, Finn and Poe receive the spy's message, Falcon chase scene.

So the main program will present these cues in this order, while the booklet (return with the track by track analysys, you dimwits, please!) would explain how his vision differs from what ended up on the final cut.

I mean, they did it with Titanic, which is also a hellish mess of cues, while maintaining as true as possible to Horner's vision (Ocean of Memories should close the movie, not that mess of tracked music), they can do it with the Sequels.

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Most of Mike's expansions have presented unused/music for deleted scenes in their intended chronology in the film score presentation. Spilling Petrol (TLW), Schubert Collage (Minority Report), even the deleted scene with Vader/Luke at the start of ROTJ. Levitation is an exception (probably because disc 1 was approaching LLL's space cap).

But yeah, the ST is anomalous because huge portions of the film were re-scored. You can easily reinstate unused music or deleted scenes, but which versions of cues do you present in the main assembly? Potter would indicate that Mike prefers the final film versions (with inserts included) in his film score assembly, so presumably the earliest recordings would be relegated to a 'bonus' section.

MM's Star Trek TMP or A.I. assemblies would make great templates on how to approach the ST. Complete film score on discs 1/2, significant alternates on disc 2, then a third disc for curiosities/rarities like alternate takes/inserts, arranged for the best listening experience.

1941 had a cue that was for a different cut in the bonus section IIRC.

But one thing that could be possible for eventual Star Wars expansions (but that isn't an option for the specialty labels) is for extra material to be available exclusively as digital downloads, or am I wrong on this? So perhaps there could be 2-disc sets released physically but then extra bonus cues (especially for all the Sequel trilogy stuff) released as lossless downloads available for separate purchase. 

Possible?

Definitely possible but who knows.

One good thing about a major label having these scores is they'll probably receive high definition digital releases, whereas the smaller labels can only release expansions on CD.

6 hours ago, MrJosh said:

released as lossless downloads available for separate purchase. 

You're so evil you should work in the industry. At least put download codes in the bloody jewel cases!

7 hours ago, Holko said:

You're so evil you should work in the industry. At least put download codes in the bloody jewel cases!

Hey, I'm just trying to think like Disney! Maybe even put a couple exclusives on a vinyl-only set so completists have buy it all!

I just notis that "2M02 Fixing The Helmet", "4M07 Rey's  Grief", "7M21 Parents" and "7M38 I Am All The Sith" al have different versions off the Emperor's Theme in the final cut but not on November 11th cut of the movie. 

But both "2M02 Fixing The Helmet" and "4M07 Rey's  Grief" sounds very similar so one of them could be tracked. 

Speaking of "7M38 I Am All The Sith" It has no returning themes, but the OST and FYC version has Emperor, Ray and Force Theme. 

Hmm. Approaching the Nursery. Would I be wrong in saying that this cue is the scene where Kylo Ren first encounters Palpatine on Exegol?