JWFan EXCLUSIVE: The Rise of Skywalker Partial Cue List Revealed

Jay

I just noticed that parts of Approaching the Nursery are in Reel 1, Reel 3, Reel 5, and Reel 6, and the Emperor's theme is only listed as being in the Reel 6 version. Either the person in charge of recording the themes made an error, JJ didn't like the full cue where it was, or the Nov 11 version of the film no longer included the full scene it was intended for. And looking at the spreadsheet again, I'm seeing so many cues in multiple places, especially the ones for the original first act.

Given the witty coyness and elliptical phrasing of so many of the cue titles, I've gotta believe "Approaching the Nursery" is a reference to this guy:

https://www.scified.com/news/the-oracle-leaked-star-wars-rise-skywalker-concept-art-unveils-strange-unused-alien-creature

Man, am I stoked to see the unused footage from this movie!  Why did they not just go full Endgame and give us a three-hour cut?  Honestly, we know the answer—because they probably (rightly) intuited that not enough of the various fragmented planetoids of Star Wars fandom were interested in sitting through a massive final film.  The blind corporate flailing that has defined the approach to these new movies had already alienated so many people, one way or another, that they figured they'd be better off shortening the run time and squeezing in more showings.  Darn shame.  I like the movie (nonsense plot, retcons, and all), but I think it would actually be more of a crowd-pleaser with even a few minutes more exposition, explanation, and emotional breathing room.

4 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Hmm. Approaching the Nursery. Would I be wrong in saying that this cue is the scene where Kylo Ren first encounters Palpatine on Exegol?

It's partly used there, but it's not originally for that scene. It's for a scene removed from the final film.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:48 PM, crumbs said:

One good thing about a major label having these scores is they'll probably receive high definition digital releases, whereas the smaller labels can only release expansions on CD.

Lots of small classical/experimental labels use Bandcamp which can handle 24-bit. Not sure why labels like LLL or Intrada couldn't do the same except for perhaps brand optics (less exclusive?) Would be sweet to have a single price for HD digital audio/high res booklet + physical copy. Last year's Stylotone DE of Marnie came with 24-bit WAV.

2 minutes ago, The Five Tones said:

Not sure why labels like LLL or Intrada couldn't do the same

The film studios literally only grant them a license to release a physical product (CD or vinyl).  They can't sell their scores digitally.  They would, of course, love to if they could.

17 hours ago, igger6 said:

Given the witty coyness and elliptical phrasing of so many of the cue titles, I've gotta believe "Approaching the Nursery" is a reference to this guy:

https://www.scified.com/news/the-oracle-leaked-star-wars-rise-skywalker-concept-art-unveils-strange-unused-alien-creature

Man, am I stoked to see the unused footage from this movie!  Why did they not just go full Endgame and give us a three-hour cut?  Honestly, we know the answer—because they probably (rightly) intuited that not enough of the various fragmented planetoids of Star Wars fandom were interested in sitting through a massive final film.  The blind corporate flailing that has defined the approach to these new movies had already alienated so many people, one way or another, that they figured they'd be better off shortening the run time and squeezing in more showings.  Darn shame.  I like the movie (nonsense plot, retcons, and all), but I think it would actually be more of a crowd-pleaser with even a few minutes more exposition, explanation, and emotional breathing room.

I don't think a giant 3-hour movie was ever in the cards. Star Wars movies have always been closer to 2 than 3; they are meant to be adventures you can sit through with your family, not epics. Last Jedi is the longest of the movies and honestly needed some cuts. Maybe Rise of Skywalker could've used an extra 2-3 minutes of footage, but not a 40-minute longer Avengers style epic. It's just not in the DNA of Star Wars. Although I myself would enjoy it, I appreciate the consistency

• 1 month later...

Was just looking at the spreadsheet again and noticed that Healing Wounds isn't listed to feature Leia's theme yet both the OST & FYC tracks do...

Checking the tracks it seems that there is a transition from one cue to the next which isn't listed in the main part of the spreadsheet:

02:54 of the OST & 01:44 of the FYC, perhaps that is 5M30 Under a Blanket? It certainly has the listed Leia's theme and directly follows 6M08 Healing Wounds, which it seems to have retained for the final edit as evidenced by the FYC which also matches the OST.

Just something I noticed and wanted to see if anyone else might think this could be the case.

A few cues have turned up in the BMI Repertoire, with one that isn't listed here! " Name That Tune" - The cues are not in any order so there's not really any way to currently figure out what that is unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Can you please post the list here?

42366648 Kylo's Theme

42366656 Psalm of the Sith

42366657 Stop and Start

42366699 Ben to Rey

42366714 Under a Blanket

42366726 Parents

42366727 Make the Sacrifice

42366734 I Am All The Sith

42366735 Name That Tune

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Are tracks like Emperor's Theme, Kylo's Theme, Poe's Theme concert arrangements?

No. They're likely just uses of the themes that were listed like in the table on the first page that happened to get entries in the repertoire due to them having timings to them, not actual cues. The use of the Emperor's theme in The Last Jedi got an entry even though it is simply a part of 7m60 Come Closer, Child.

Half of those cues sound like they are describing a different movie.  Tunnel monster?  Through the Jungle?  What scenes are these?

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Half of those cues sound like they are describing a different movie.  Tunnel monster?  Through the Jungle?  What scenes are these?

Tunnel Monster, could be the snake if it is from TROS.

1 hour ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Wait, what?!? :blink:

Yeah, on Mustafar, the planet at the beginning of the film.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Could Name That Tune be a funny Williams title for Reunion?

EDIT: Hmm, nope. That appears to be 9M03 Bows. :unsure: As Jay said, most of these cue titles sound like they belong to a totally different movie.

I was thinking it was the SW theme when Lando shows up.

21 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

I was thinking it was the SW theme when Lando shows up.

Hmm, 7M36 Dunkirk was presumably for that scene, but doesn’t show the use of the Star Wars theme, so maybe ‘Name That Tune’ is the replacement used in the final version?

I think whoever cobbled together the original document likely didn't have all information on hand which is why it has missing cues and missing themes

So, did we finally solve this little mystery: 1M14 Falcon’s Last Trip?

Though, what would that even be? Another Falcon Flight alternate? Deleted scene?

5E8D6AD4-9A0A-4ED7-8A31-EF4FE4B1B17D.jpeg

7 hours ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Heh.

Completely failed to notice that was the Rogue One location.

Twice...

5 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Though, what would that even be? Another Falcon Flight alternate? Deleted scene?

I'd say Falcon's Last Flight is just FYC Falcon Flight, and 'Last' was dropped on the FYC title for spoiler reasons (because in isolation it sounds like a huge spoiler, despite not being the case).

1M26 Lightspeed Skipping appears to be the earlier version of this cue, recorded when reel 1 had far more material in it (and was in the film until at least the November cut). It's possible the music heard in that TV Spot is actually Lightspeed Skipping, not Falcon's Last Flight.

Interestingly, didn't that Reddit leak about the scoring sessions specifically name a cue called Falcon's Last Flight (or similar) as being recorded? Wonder if anyone can find that post and see what else they said. I recall most people questioning its validity simply due to the unlikely possibility of the Falcon being destroyed.

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Interestingly, didn't that Reddit leak about the scoring sessions specifically name a cue called Falcon's Last Flight (or similar) as being recorded? Wonder if anyone can find that post and see what else they said. I recall most people questioning its validity simply due to the unlikely possibility of the Falcon being destroyed.

"There is a TROS musical motif called, “The Falcon’s Last Ride.” Motifs from previous episodes will be making an appearance including “Duel of the Fates.” There are only a few more sessions of recording JW’s score in LA." (Original post)

Just now, CGCJ said:

"There is a TROS musical motif called, “The Falcon’s Last Ride.” Motifs from previous episodes will be making an appearance including “Duel of the Fates.” There are only a few more sessions of recording JW’s score in LA."

Easy to see how Falcon's Last Flight could be interpreted as Falcon's Last Ride, especially if you didn't have a clear view of the sheet music (or heard it second-hand from someone on the crew).

And for all we know, Duel of the Fates was recorded in that 226 minutes of music but went unused. We know from the sound editors that the entire Death Star fight was scored and Williams asked them to dial out everything until Kylo exits the wall of water.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'd say Falcon's Last Flight is just FYC Falcon Flight, and 'Last' was dropped on the FYC title for spoiler reasons (because in isolation it sounds like a huge spoiler, despite not being the case).l

Hmm, it’s no guarantee, with the way these cues get chopped up, but I can make out enough of the sheet music to see that it definitely does not begin like Falcon Flight, at least as we know it.

I can’t make out the notes, but I can discern the rhythm and that there’s a tutti woodwind passage, which doesn’t match anything I’ve heard from the score so far. Looks like it could be a different variation on the ‘heroics’ motif (as identified by @Falstaft (hiatus til TROS)) that’s heard in Falcon Flight.

FYC Falcon Flight might be comprised of several shorter cues? Maybe the opening few bars went unused or were edited out when appending to another cue.

The Maestro's Finale extra has a few clear shots of sheet music:

1M20 "Rey Training" (w 11-3-2019 fixes)

8M4 "Psalm of the Sith"

9M3 "Bows" [There's text under the title but it's unfortunately not legible]

Unless "The Force Is With You" the album track is different than "The Force Is With You" the film cue.

Does the doc have audio of the cue being recorded, or do you just see that name on a paper at one point?

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Unless "The Force Is With You" the album track is different than "The Force Is With You" the film cue.

Does the doc have audio of the cue being recorded, or do you just see that name on a paper at one point?

They recorded the Emperor's Theme from the "The Force is With You" and on screen it says November 21st last day of recording. 

You can see it here from 6.15

So OST Anthem of Evil appears to be 8m04 Psalm of the Sith. Based on the cue slates, that means this was a very early cue written for the climax (when it still existed in reel 8 in a much longer cut).

Gotta wonder what the film looked like in those early months of post production, for Williams to write that cue. I wonder if the Star Destroyers rising from the ground was actually a reveal at the end, rather than the very beginning? A fragment of this cue remains in the final cut for this scene in the prologue (after the blatantly tracked excerpt from Vader's Castle, which clearly belonged to deleted material from reel 1). 

Actually I might be wrong, it could be the unused section of Join Me (the great Anthem of Evil stuff in that track). 

I'll compare properly tomorrow. But it's the section after the Vader theme when the Star Destroyers are revealed. The spreadsheet lists this music as Psalm of the Sith, although the final cut moves into tracked music from Final Saber Duel. 

Ahhh yes, Join Me is fantastic!

It would make sense if JW had somewhat bigger plans for that theme at some point in the process. But who knows... he's written a lot of themes throughout the sequel trilogy that ended up being used so little they were nearly imperceptible.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Actually I might be wrong, it could be the unused section of Join Me (the great Anthem of Evil stuff in that track). 

I'll compare properly tomorrow. But it's the section after the Vader theme when the Star Destroyers are revealed. The spreadsheet lists this music as Psalm of the Sith, although the final cut moves into tracked music from Final Saber Duel. 

From the Vader theme, the film cuts to the unused section of Join Me, and then to Final Saber Duel for a couple of brass stabs and Kylo Ren's theme

So either the film changed or the unreleased section in Join Me is Psalm of the Sith. Considering none of the Saber duel material is listed in the spreadsheet, it's probably the former (and none of POTS remains in the final cut). 

22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So either the film changed or the unreleased section in Join Me is Psalm of the Sith. Considering none of the Saber duel material is listed in the spreadsheet, it's probably the former (and none of POTS remains in the final cut). 

Psalm of the Sith is in the online cue list, so it must be in the final film.