JWFan EXCLUSIVE: The Rise of Skywalker Partial Cue List Revealed

Jay

On 29/03/2020 at 12:51 PM, JohnnyD said:

I put this together. This might and could very well be the full opening, including the Mustafar sequence, the journey to Exegol, the encounter with Palpatine and the reveal of the Final Order. If nothing else, I put it together just for fun. Enjoy! Share your reactions.

01_Main_Title_and_Journey_to_Exegol.m4a 19.16 MB · 12 downloads

Yep, I imagine this (or something very close) was intended at one point. Since the Mustafar sequence seems to have been entirely removed from the November 11th cut, JW probably decided around that point he wanted to include that music anyway, but reversing the order of the cues for the album track.

My guess is track 2 consists of:

0:00–0:52 1M7 Journey of Exegol

0:52–end 1M15 Vader's Castle

Unless there's been extensive cuts, the second half isn't long enough to cover the Oracle scene, so it must have been out by this point, but still included the shot of Vader's castle.

Here's confirmation the Oracle was actually filmed, but discarded:

https://twitter.com/PhilSzostak/status/1244071488791035909?s=20

14 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Yep, I imagine this (or something very close) was intended at one point. Since the Mustafar sequence seems to have been entirely removed from the November 11th cut, JW probably decided around that point he wanted to include that music anyway, but reversing the order of the cues for the album track.

My guess is track 2 consists of:

0:00–0:52 1M7 Journey of Exegol

0:52–end 1M15 Vader's Castle

Unless there's been extensive cuts, the second half isn't long enough to cover the Oracle scene, so it must have been out by this point, but still included the shot of Vader's castle.

Here's confirmation the Oracle was actually filmed, but discarded:

https://twitter.com/PhilSzostak/status/1244071488791035909?s=20

I always assumed that most of the Prologue track would cover the Oracle stuff, having read the passage from the novel - the creepy Palpatine theme especially would fit that scene well

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps The Crowd Joins In is the scene at 01:55:31 just after the "Dunkirk" scene; the sith followers begin to chant before Ben wakes up and is thrown into the pit. Actually, I'm almost certain that has to be it!

5 minutes ago, CGCJ said:

Perhaps The Crowd Joins In is the scene at 01:55:31 just after the "Dunkirk" scene; the sith followers begin to chant before Ben wakes up and is thrown into the pit. Actually, I'm almost certain that has to be it!

Oh, that sounds probable! I had forgotten about those odd grandstands on Exegol.

I'd trying to think where there's any crowds shown in the movie, and kept coming back to the festival on Pasaana, but couldn't think of any instance where they "join in". But that does track with the Sith chanters.

Yea that's a good call!  I suppose the Sith Chanting would be registered in that database, even if JW wasn't involved.  Maybe Name That Tune is the first time they are heard chanting, and The Crowd Joins In is the other scene just mentioned

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea that's a good call!  I suppose the Sith Chanting would be registered in that database, even if JW wasn't involved.  Maybe Name That Tune is the first time they are heard chanting, and The Crowd Joins In is the other scene just mentioned

It's definitely a JW composition, though (the only compositions not registered with John Williams as the sole composer are the three source tracks and the trailer):

image.png

I just think @CGCJ is right that it's for that scene where they start chanting.

It's possible that chanting was recorded with the LA Master Chorale and is thus classified as music. Seems like the easiest way for the sound team to get those types of recordings (especially if the lyrics being chanted are Sanskrit or written by Williams).

Bit weird that it isn't listed in the spreadsheet, unless they were late additions. It's also unknown how many sessions the chorale did for the score or how late into recording they were. Presumably towards the end?

I wonder if one of the sound guys (like Matthew Wood) would answer that question on Twitter, if asked where the recordings were done for the Sith chanting?

10 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Anyone else care to speculate with me about what the Episode IX unknown cues might be? (While dreaming of a sessions leak...)

It Fits!

I don't believe that line is actually uttered anywhere in the movie, but I'm pretty sure this would be the scene of Rey holding up the Sith dagger to the Death Star wreckage, perhaps even just an insert. Many of the Episode 7 and 8 inserts have their own titles. 

Emperor's Attack

Most likely the scene just prior to "Seeing Sights", with the Emperor knocking Ben into the pit and using lightning on the fleet.

The Dunkirk Shot

Almost certainly the scene with Lando and the enormous fleet, replacing "Dunkirk", if that's in fact a different cue.

Chewie's Interrogation

Seems to confirms that this scene shown in concept art was filmed:

image.png

Filial Fencing

Filial is defined as "of, relating to, or befitting a son or daughter", but no one fights their parent in this movie, so perhaps he meant to refer to Luke and Leia's sibling relationship. The young Luke and Leia lightsaber training does seem more like fencing. The cue could have been written when that scene was intended as the original opening, or the flashback during the Ahch-To scene (as in the final film).

Or perhaps it's referring to a grandfather, as in this Kylo/Vader scene glimpsed in concept art?

klyo_vader.jpeg

Or perhaps it was meant for the young Luke and Leia lightsaber training, which does seem more like fencing, either as part of the original opening or during the Ahch-To scene (as in the final film).

Ready To Be A Jedi

I think this may actually be 'A New Home' instead of 'Return to Tatooine', which does not appear in the GEMA Repertoire database. Notably, 'Quicksand' is also missing, which seems to imply only cues appearing in the final cut were registered, so 'Return to Tatooine' is probably a different cue for that scene.

The ones that have me the most stumped are "The Crowd Joins In" and "Name That Tune". I assume "Name That Tune" most feature one of the best-known Star Wars melodies prominently, like the main title, Imperial March, or force theme. If we didn't already have "The Dunkirk Shot", I would have thought it was the music for that scene, though it could an insert or split in two.

Isn’t that concept art for Trevorrow’s thrown out “Duel of the Fates” script?

12 hours ago, rpvee said:

Isn’t that concept art for Trevorrow’s thrown out “Duel of the Fates” script?

Ah yes, that's right, so that's eliminated as a possibility.

I'm almost certain it's for the young Luke/Leia flashback then: the helmets they're wearing even have a strong resemblance to fencing helmets.

34 minutes ago, Remco said:

Hey @crumbs , did you take down your score restoration videos on the previous page or were they taken down?

The account was taken down unfortunately, either the footage or music was flagged. :(

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

So why is Filial Fencing in the database unless it appears in the film? It wasn't in the spreadsheet.

I guess it could be anywhere, really.

Not sure what you mean.  The GEMA database lists all cues heard in the final cut, while the spreadsheet was info from the Nov 11 cut.

I'm just wondering where that cue exists in the final cut, seeing as it probably underscored the original prologue.

We're none the wiser on where it exists in the final cut but clearly it was missing in the Nov 11 cut. 

Right all we know is that it's in the final cut somewhere, we have no idea if it scores the fencing scene or it was just tracked somewhere else.  We also don't know if it was an older cue that got revived via tracking, a newer insert/revision type cue that is actually scoring the fencing scene and is in the OST track, etc.  

We need a sheet music leak!  What would be awesome is a version of the document we got for the Nov 11 cut, but for the final cut

I made an edit of They Will Come and March of the Resistance that actually seems seamless. Just replace the timpani strike in TROS with a timpani strike when the theme A returns in the concert MOTR. It's the same timpanist, the same drum, and the same recording room. Nothing fancy required, just adjust loudness.

On 15/04/2020 at 8:29 AM, Jay said:

The GEMA database lists all cues heard in the final cut, while the spreadsheet was info from the Nov 11 cut.

Which reminds me: I’ve seen the new cue titles from GEMA listed previously, but here are the cue titles we already knew that do not appear in GEMA, and so are most likely unused in the final cut:

Dunkirk (unless ‘The Dunkirk Shot’ is the same cue)

Jumping the Chain

Quicksand

Return to Tattooine

Rey’s Grief

Rey Trains (not to be confused with ‘Rey’s Training’)

GEMA also has two John Williams compositions registered for Rise of Skywalker with no title. One should be the untitled 3M3 speeder chase cue, but I’m uncertain what the other might be.

• 4 weeks later...

There's now some Rise of Skywalker music in the BMI database. Looks like all the album tracks are here (except for "Join Me"), and a random smattering of cues. Searching for other known cue names turned up nothing, though. 🤷‍♂️

Not sure if there's any rhyme or reason to this numbering, or why so many cues are missing, other than almost all the album tracks being in the second group (all starting with 428).

Spoiler

42366648 Kylo's Theme

42366656 Psalm of the Sith

42366657 Stop and Start

42366699 Ben to Rey

42366714 Under a Blanket

42366724 Approaching the Throne

42366726 Parents

42366727 Make the Sacrifice

42366734 I Am All the Sith

42366735 Name That Tune

42845510 Fanfare and Prologue

42845511 Journey to Exegol

42845512 The Old Death Star

42845513 Destiny of a Jedi

42845514 Fleeing from Kijimi

42845515 We Go Together

42845516 Final Saber Duel

42845517 Battle of the Resistance

42845518 The Force Is With You

42845519 Reunion 

42845520 Finale

42845530 The Rise of Skywalker

42845532 The Speeder Chase

42845534 Anthem of Evil

42845537 They Will Come

42845539 Farewell

42845540 A New Home

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 2:21 PM, Smaug the iron said:

I was watching this clip again and I notis that around 8.52 they start playing Leia's Theme from the original End Credits (with the Rebel Fanfer)but I can't remember it in the film? Is it possible that Leia's Theme was part of the End Credits for TROS but was edit out on the OST and the film? Or was it part from another cue? 

15 minutes ago, Smaug the iron said:

I was watching this clip again and I notis that around 8.52 they start playing Leia's Theme from the original End Credits (with the Rebel Fanfer)but I can't remember it in the film? Is it possible that Leia's Theme was part of the End Credits for TROS but was edit out on the OST and the film? Or was it part from another cue? 

It wasn’t used anywhere in the film or on the album, so we don’t know yet. It could have been part of the end credits at one point, or perhaps ‘Bows’, or incorporated into an alternate or unused cue (there’s more than one scene with Leia that had tracked music). Or it could even have been just a warmup: the LSO recorded the original 1977 Star Wars end credits at the beginning of the Phantom Menace sessions, but I don’t think there was ever any plan to actually use it for anything. 🤷‍♂️

might have been part of Reunion or Finale then cut out

maybe the original Reunion scene lasted 25 minutes and had all the themes from all 9 movies then trimmed to include only those we hear in the film and OST

40 minutes ago, crumbs said:

My theory is there's a 1m40s microedit on the OST here:

The section deleted runs 1:40 in the existing concert suite (and includes the Leia music from the scoring featurette).

You are absolutely right! When I first heard that performance of Leia's Theme in the featurette, I had a feeling that it was originally part of the end credits suite; sure enough, it is. It was simply micro-edited out. Well, until the expanded and definitive release (along with the other eight scores) comes out, I'll just include the section from the 1977 end credits suite with the performance heard in the featurette, unless someone can beat me to it.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

The significance of 1:40 is that the Nov 11 spreadsheet lists a 12:00 end credits suite. The OST version is 10:20. Add the 1:40 deleted section and the runtime now matches the leaked spreadsheet.

One oddity is that 12:00 duration listed doesn’t match with the start and end times, which indicate a length of 12:16.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

My theory is there's a 1m40s microedit on the OST here:

The section deleted runs 1:40 in the existing concert suite (and includes the Leia music from the scoring featurette).

The significance of 1:40 is that the Nov 11 spreadsheet lists a 12:00 end credits suite. The OST version is 10:20. Add the 1:40 deleted section and the runtime now matches the leaked spreadsheet.

Yes! I 100% agree that it was edit out from the final at that moment. 

4 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

One oddity is that 12:00 duration listed doesn’t match with the start and end times, which indicate a length of 12:16.

That is curious, hadn't noticed that. Possible that the 'out time' was just a placeholder because the credits themselves weren't rendered, but the duration itself matched what Williams had recorded? The extra 16 seconds might line up with the silent Lucasfilm logo, also.

FWIW, the other cue start/finish times in reel 8 still line up with the final cut. The only major difference is the duration of the end credits and the finish time of reel 8 (likely because the credits weren't finalized on Nov 11).

• 3 months later...

From the partial leaked sheets, the following cues are listed:

0M1 Children's School [3/27/19]

1M3 Nothing is Impossible [3/27/19]

1M4 Thru the Jungle [3/27/19]

1M5 Rey Trains [3/30/19]

1M6 Ren's Entrance [3/30/19]

1M8 Approaching the Nursery [4/10/19]

2M1 Cockpit Dialogue

2M2 Fixing the Helmet

3M1 Before the Chase [3/27/19]

3M3 [3/22/19]

3M4 Quicksand! [3/27/19]

Are these of any relevance considering they are dated before the November 11th source which @Jay lists?

The main differences I can see are:

• 1M3 and 1M4 are not listed
  • Quicksand! is numbered as 2M32 according to Jay's source, rather than 3M4

3M4 Quicksand! would be the earliest version he wrote for that scene.

2M32 Quicksand would be a revised version he wrote after the scene had moved into reel 2

1M3 and 1M4 were already dropped from the film by the Nov 11 cut

19 hours ago, carlborg said:

Are these of any relevance considering they are dated before the November 11th source which @Jay lists?

1M4 Thru the Jungle was not used at all in the November 11th cut, but part is tracked in to the speeder chase. This is the bit that’s similar to the music for Rey running to the caretaker village in the Last Jedi deleted scene. It’s an earlier version (along with 1M5 Rey Trains) of music for the training sequence early in the film, both of which were replaced by 1M20 Rey’s Training.

2M1 Cockpit Dialog, which I thought would be for the scene of Finn, Poe, Chewbacca, and Claud in the Falcon just before the light speed skipping sequence, was intended for the same scene as 1M20 Lightspeed Skipping, aka Falcon Flight (based on the notes about on-screen action). Assuming 1M14 Falcon’s Last Trip was also for this scene, which seems pretty likely, there were three distinct versions written! (Plus 1M20 Spy’s Message, which I’m guessing was an insert.)

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

This score is going to be revelatory when Mike finally gets a chance to expand it.

By the time that happens, assuming it does, Mike will probably be long since retired. Either that or in his 90's still working on expansions. :P

7 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

By the time that happens, assuming it does, Mike will probably be long since retired. Either that or in his 90's still working on expansions. :P

Fingers crossed Mike's working on it. A comprehensive box of all nine scores is easily 2 years work if he tackles them solo, especially in between smaller projects like Casper, Two Mules, etc. The liner notes alone would be months of work, if he does them himself.

Plus there's every chance he might mix the OT scores from scratch using the multi-tracks, another time consuming process. Probably depends on the state of the mix masters (though I'm not sure if Tomlinson's live mixes were actually included on the multi-tracks. Someone else here might know?)

At least the ST is already digital so the challenge is just assembling a cohesive listening experience for all those revisions & inserts. Considering TROS was the messiest of the 3 and only finished ~10 months ago, I'd be surprised if any expansions surfaced for another few years. Just a shame they didn't have individual releases for the recent big anniversaries (SW 40th, ESB 40th, TPM 20th).

• 1 month later...

I was curious to ask something. Were the Sith Eternal cult chants performed by the Los Angeles Master Chorale conducted by the Maestro like the rest of the score? I wanted to confirm whether or not this is the case.

Like Jay said, there isn't a way for us to know right now unfortunately. But my assumption is that they are sound effects, not part of the music, and therefore likely were not recorded by a choir. The whispers in TPM are different because those are actually part of the music.

I agree that it is much more likely that the sound effects team put the chanting in, and that the music team wasn't a part of it