JWFan EXCLUSIVE: The Rise of Skywalker Partial Cue List Revealed

Jay

No one knows yet, huh? Well, I honestly think that the chants were recorded by choir. They sound too real to be done by sound effects. I just wanted to know if there was any information to confirm that.

They could be recordings of real humans, but that doesn't mean that the music team of the film was involved, nor even that LA union choir singers were used

I mean, they could be choral sweeteners. I honestly thought that the shrieks in The Intersection Scene from War of the Worlds were sound effects until I watched the featurette on the score and John Williams specifically mentioned those moments having been done by choir (thanks to the remastered and expanded release, those instances are finally available). It is certainly plausible, right?

You're talking about the chanting of the sith dudes in robes in the stadium stands right?  Since that's mean to be sound coming from characters on screen, that makes it even more likely it's the sound effects guys and not Williams' team that recorded that audio

Yes. I’m not exactly sure; just because it is coming from characters on screen does not necessarily mean it is done by the sound effects team, though that is another possibility. Look at Indians Jones and the Temple of Doom; the chanting and drum beats came from characters on screen, yet that was composed and conducted by John Williams with choir and percussion in perfect sync with the film. Either way, it is certainly interesting how the line between score and sound can be blurred. A compliment to all involved, I must say.

Makes sense that Sam was involved, since he is friends with David Collins, who does the Soundtrack Show (and is a big Williams fan)

A combination of the album track, the film and mock-up. It blends together perfectly, right? For now, until the score is given the expanded and definitive treatment it deserves (as does the other eight scores and all of the Maestro's work) let's just pretend this is the complete recording.

Yeah, it flows amazingly well! This is definitely going into my ROS edit. How did you know how to arrange the separate parts? Has the sheet music for this cue been released/leaked? 

46 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

@tee_oh We also don't know yet if the OST track is micro-edited from the version in the sheet music, or if it was revised prior to recording.

Do the edit points in the OST track correlate with where the microedited music belongs?

933477417_05.TheSpeederChase.jpg

Of course, it's not easy to differentiate performance edits from microedits, but we can healthily speculate :P

The gaps along that 44kHz frequency line are interesting too (possibly indicating different sections of the cue recorded on different days?)

16 hours ago, Pando said:

Parts in that sound clip were taken from a full mockup I made (below). The original composition had even more measures that were edited out from the OST, but were actually present in the movie (listen to 0:10 and 0:16 mark). The mockup consists of all measures, and it's without the concert ending, which really doesn't belong there.

In all honesty, it was a while since I edited the track together that I had forgotten where the mock-up sections came from. I give credit where credit is due. Listening to the cue in film and on the album and comparing to your mock-up, it is pretty spot on.

Anyway, from there, I tried to bring all parts of the cue together into a full track. It was not easy, especially bringing all edit and sync points together. The concert ending was added simply because it is part of the track itself; it gives the cue a definitive ending.

I wonder what the next cue, Quicksand, sounds like. Would you be able to show us via mock-up? I'm very curious.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who downloaded the track I recently shared, please delete it. This is what I meant to share. Here it is: The Speeder Chase (Extended Version).

Enjoy!

11 The Speeder Chase.m4a

9 hours ago, Pando said:

Just nitpicking, but you're still missing a measure at 2:15 and 3:15.

Those two are VERY micro; hardly a need to re-edit a third time just for that. On top of that, it was hard enough restoring every micro-edited measure and section back in seamlessly. The track I just shared is the finished version until the entire score is officially released (along with the other eight).

• 2 months later...

Amazing find @BrotherSound! This will really help piece together things.

So the music following the tracked excerpt of TFA's Starry Night (for the establishing shot of Mustafar) probably belongs to Rey's Incredible Hand. What an absolute mess of a film.

This also seems to confirm the badass Knights of Ren statement for the exterior of the Sith Temple was indeed from The Ninth Beginning, lending credence to my theory that the November cut of the film opened directly on Exogol (omitting the entire Mustafar sequence, which was instead trimmed down to the bare essentials by December).

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

So the music following the tracked excerpt of TFA's Starry Night (for the establishing shot of Mustafar) probably belongs to Rey's Incredible Hand. What an absolute mess of a film.

Bizarre, isn’t it? Guess it’s just that brief suspense bit prior to the entrance of the Kylo theme.

Looks like this confirms a couple other things about the opening we suspected: the big Imperial March statement is indeed from 1M15 Vader’s Castle (and presumably the music afterwards), and the film’s Journey to Exegol music is tracked from 6M13 Rey’s Trip to P[alpatine?].

I wonder what ‘Ready To Be A Jedi’ is, though? That cue title certainly doesn’t make any sense here, so are we dealing with yet more tracked music?

6 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

I wonder what ‘Ready To Be A Jedi’ is, though? That cue title certainly doesn’t make any sense here, so are we dealing with yet more tracked music?

Listen to the first 8 seconds of FYC Track 1.

I think this is actually two cues faded over one another! The tense strings have been taken from Rey's Incredible Hand, while another cue (Ready To Be A Jedi) fades in over the course of that opening 7 seconds, creating the dissonance. If you're familiar with music editing, the gradual volume increase on that secondary cue is very audible.

You can hear which part has been taken from Rey's Incredible Hand (which JW repurposed from his alternate Torn Apart, hinting at the temp track used for this scene) here:

I can only assume this was a crazy late change to the film, and probably explains why Starry Night was lazily tracked after 1M1.

18 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

So, I’ve found some additional information that may help solve some of the mysteries about some of the unknown TROS cues.

For TFA and TLJ, the cues in the GEMA Repertoire database show in the order they first appear in the film, including instances of tracking, but TROS just had all its cues listed alphabetically. (There’s a few exceptions or omissions, but it’s fairly accurate.) 

However, I noticed there are publisher codes on each GEMA entry, and the ordering they produce generally matches the ordering of the cues we already know about, so it should help fill in some blanks about some of the unknown cues:

This is fantastic, this is a great discovery you made!

I have some questions, hopefully you are willing to help me out

When I click on your link and type "Rise of Skywalker" into the search box I get 21 pages of results

image.png

Now if I click on the third one there, "Approaching The Nursey", on the resulting popup I can see the "AMH789" number you put in your list above

image.png

So my first question is, is this how you generated the list above, clicking open every cue one at a time and copy/pasting the Publisher Work Codes #, then sorting by that when you were done?

Or is there a way to "export" my results set and not have to manually click open everything?

Now if I click the 4th result, "Approaching The Throne (Film Version)" it has two different codes inside

image.png

Why the two codes?  Is this maybe for cues used in the film more than once?  Or something else?  Or still a mystery?

Finally, does this trick work for other scores?  Could we use it to figure out what's what in, say, JFK, Geisha, Lincoln, BFG and Tintin?

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

So my first question is, is this how you generated the list above, clicking open every cue one at a time and copy/pasting the Publisher Work Codes #, then sorting by that when you were done?

Or is there a way to "export" my results set and not have to manually click open everything?

Yeah, I just manually exported and sorted the codes. Haven't checked out any other films yet.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why the two codes?  Is this maybe for cues used in the film more than once?  Or something else?  Or still a mystery?

'Approaching the Throne' is the only entry with two codes. I hadn't noticed before, but this is actually the only OST track that shares a title with a film cue, so I bet it has something to do with that, which seems to be borne out by the double 'Approaching the Throne' and 'Approaching the Throne (Film Use)' titles. 

Just now, BrotherSound said:

Yeah, I just manually exported and sorted the codes. Haven't checked out any other films yet.

Sorry, what does this mean? "manually exported"?  What did you do exactly, I don't understand

Just now, BrotherSound said:

'Approaching the Throne' is the only entry with two codes. I hadn't noticed before, but this is actually the only OST track that shares a title with a film cue, so I bet it has something to do with that, which seems to be borne out by the double 'Approaching the Throne' and 'Approaching the Throne (Film Use)' titles. 

Ahhh, that explains it!  So the AMI code is for its film placement, and every OST title is probably in those results with an AOD code

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Sorry, what does this mean? "manually exported"?  What did you do exactly, I don't understand

Nothing too fancy: I just copy-pasted each cue title and its code into a document.

Right OK, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some way that would save us a ton of time from doing that.  I thought one of these similar sites had a way to downloaded your result set as a file but it looks like this one doesn't

FWIW I ran through the list alongside the film last night up to Chewy's "death" scene, and this list does appear to be chronological. I found a couple of curiosities. 

It's hard to tell where The Wisdom of Maz ends and Meditation starts (this is the Leia/Rey dialogue scene after the training course). It also appears the entire cue where Poe reveals Palpatine's return is simply 2M30 Rey's Mission (I think we've speculated that 2M04 The Emperor Lives belonged here, likely another early alternate that JW totally rewrote). 

Secondly, there's no listing for Speeder Chase anywhere (although mostly replaced, fragments did still appear in the film). Was that entire cue actually comprised in Before the Chase, @BrotherSound

The speeder chase cue is 3M03 No Title so maybe it doesn't show up on the site because "No Title" has been used before, like those other examples he mentioned?

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

The speeder chase cue is 3M03 No Title so maybe it doesn't show up on the site because "No Title" has been used before, like those other examples he mentioned?

That would explain it indeed. Good catch Jay! 

I found it became harder to follow the film and list the further it went along, because secondary usage of a cue isn't noted (making it difficult to pinpoint where fragments of music come from, later in the film).

20 hours ago, crumbs said:

Amazing find @BrotherSound! This will really help piece together things.

This also seems to confirm the badass Knights of Ren statement for the exterior of the Sith Temple was indeed from The Ninth Beginning, lending credence to my theory that the November cut of the film opened directly on Exogol (omitting the entire Mustafar sequence, which was instead trimmed down to the bare essentials by December).

A leak from October 2019 did have the movie opening on Exegol. I wouldn't be surprised if that lasted at least until the November cut. 

The film now apparently begins with a shot of a control tower rising from the ground of
the planet. The control tower begins transmitting a signal, some rumbling below the
surface of the planet begins and then the Star Destroyers of the Sith Fleet break through
the dark, rocky surface of the planet and rise into the air.
Apparently this change was made to establish the fleet as a threat from the very
beginning as well as coordinate with changes made to the back half of the film during
reshoots.

28 minutes ago, Oozer said:

A leak from October 2019 did have the movie opening on Exegol. I wouldn't be surprised if that lasted at least until the November cut. 

Well that's confirmation enough for me. So the Mustafar sequence was indeed deleted before being reinstated in the dying weeks of post.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yeah, that could be the issue: TLJ had several 'No Title' cues registered as things like 'No Title 1M2A', but TFA had a just plain 'No Title' already.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Was that entire cue actually comprised in Before the Chase, @BrotherSound

Despite all the ridiculous microediting and tracking, there's definitely still a fair amount of the untitled 3M3 in the speeder scene. 3M1 Before the Chase is quite brief.

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well that's confirmation enough for me. So the Mustafar sequence was indeed deleted before being reinstated in the dying weeks of post.

And I'm almost positive the OST 'Fanfare and Prologue' matches an earlier cut (sometime prior to the November 11th version) where Mustafar had already been entirely cut, but the initial appearance of the Exegol fleet had not yet been moved up to the Kylo/Emperor scene.

In some of the early leaks, the appearance of the Sith fleet did not happen until much later into the movie, either just before the destruction of Kijimi, or possibly not even until the final confrontation with the Emperor.

2 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

In some of the early leaks, the appearance of the Sith fleet did not happen until much later into the movie, either just before the destruction of Kijimi, or possibly not even until the final confrontation with the Emperor.

It's hilariously baffling that it was moved concurrent to Kylo's first meeting with the Emperor. So those ships just floated around Exogol's atmosphere for the entire film doing... nothing? Oh, until our heroes turn up to destroy them, then suddenly it's a good time to leave Exogol.

Oh, except for those Final Order ships that... somehow... already departed the atmosphere of Exogol and travelled far enough to destroy Kijimi. Was it just that one? Or others? Are the ones being destroyed across the galaxy Final Order or First Order ships? If the entire Resistance travelled to Exogol to destroy the Final Order, what army was destroying all the thousands of First Order ships?

It's just... so incredibly stupid.