JWFan EXCLUSIVE: The Rise of Skywalker Partial Cue List Revealed

Jay

14 hours ago, Holko said:

Exegol has a population??? I thought it was some barren dead rock.

As it is meant to, a spell of concealment lies on that place.

21 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Well TROS kind of was. :lol:

Thing is, they were able to revise things to fit their new cut with CG and the like, Williams wasn't (that we know of, tho some TLJ cues had inserts written to slot into tracked music).

10 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Fun fact: in just the first five minutes following the main title of The Rise of Skywalker, there are bits and pieces of 13 different cues, and only 3 weren’t written for a completely different scene in a different part of the movie.

1. Starry Night [from TFA]
  2. Rey’s Incredible Hand
  3. Ready To Be A Jedi
  4. Vader’s Castle
  5. Rey’s Trip to P
  6. The Ninth Beginning
  7. Chewie's Interrogation
  8. Approaching the Nursery
  9. Uncharted Territory
  10. Hard to Get Rid Of
  11. Psalm of the Sith
  12. Stop and Start
  13. On Their Knees

Just looking at this makes me sick.

57 minutes ago, crumbs said:

How I wish they'd just delayed the damn thing two years and done it properly, so Williams could have scored an actual movie and not some under-cooked rotisserie of incomprehensible sequences.

I'm not even going to go down that rabbit hole again. Abrams lost my goodwill already in December of 2015.

Let me just point out that had they delayed "the damn thing" one month, Williams would have gotten an Oscar in 2021... Search your feelings.

I didn't even notice Filial Fencing was in that list! I wonder which music belongs to that cue? It's somewhere between the tracking of Vader's Death and Leia's Death. 

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

I didn't even notice Filial Fencing was in that list! I wonder which music belongs to that cue? It's somewhere between the tracking of Vader's Death and Leia's Death. 

Not Leia's Death but when she lies down. Thats mean that we have two options, either its when Rey meets dark Rey or when Rey and Kylo talks before the fight. The November cut has only music to one of the scenes, Daisy in a Veil at 50 seconds which fits with what we have for the Rey and Kylo conversation. So I think that Filial Fencing is tracked into the scene between Rey and dark Rey. 

25 minutes ago, Smaug The Iron said:

Not Leia's Death but when she lies down. Thats mean that we have two options, either its when Rey meets dark Rey or when Rey and Kylo talks before the fight. The November cut has only music to one of the scenes, Daisy in a Veil at 50 seconds which fits with what we have for the Rey and Kylo conversation. So I think that Filial Fencing is tracked into the scene between Rey and dark Rey. 

Yep, seems to be the case. The entire "Dark Rey" scene was unscored in the November edit... but the fact JW named the cue 6M04 Daisy in a Veil likely means it was written for the entire sequence (and only the last 50 seconds was used).

So he scored it all, they partially dialed it out in the November cut, then decided to track in Filial Fencing (likely written for the abandoned opening sequence) for the Dark Rey fight.

image.png

• 4 weeks later...

Part of the cue list:

Chant 1
Chant 2

On 11/3/2020 at 2:16 PM, JohnnyD said:

Well, I honestly think that the chants were recorded by choir.

On 11/3/2020 at 2:39 PM, JohnnyD said:

I mean, they could be choral sweeteners. I honestly thought that the shrieks in The Intersection Scene from War of the Worlds were sound effects until I watched the featurette on the score and John Williams specifically mentioned those moments having been done by choir (thanks to the remastered and expanded release, those instances are finally available). It is certainly plausible, right?

On 11/3/2020 at 2:59 PM, JohnnyD said:

Just because it is coming from characters on screen does not necessarily mean it is done by the sound effects team, though that is another possibility. Look at Indians Jones and the Temple of Doom; the chanting and drum beats came from characters on screen, yet that was composed and conducted by John Williams with choir and percussion in perfect sync with the film. Either way, it is certainly interesting how the line between score and sound can be blurred. A compliment to all involved, I must say.

It appears that I was right in thinking that the Sith Eternal cult chants were done as part of the recording of the score. Lucky guess, huh?

It's weird that 3M3 went untitled, yet The Speeder Chase is such an obvious cue/track title.

3M2 being reserved for that deleted scene makes sense. Don't even remember if it's explained why the characters abandon the Falcon and flee Pasaana on Ochi's ship. There must have been some explanation in an earlier cut, where Lando filled them in or something. 

5 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Maz goes to talk to Rey at her workbench and offers some platitudes like “You won’t know how strong you are until you know how strong you have to be” and “To find the darkest part in the galaxy you will need to face the darkest part of yourself”.

Geez, groaners like this are straight out of the Chris Terrio playbook. His Snyder/DC screenplays are filled with similar dreck. 

26 minutes ago, crumbs said:

3M2 being reserved for that deleted scene makes sense. Don't even remember if it's explained why the characters abandon the Falcon

Because the bad guys have it.

But how did they know? They were tied up in the speeder chase, buried in quicksand, stuck in the underground tunnels then attacked by Kylo Ren.

I guess there was some throwaway ADR line explaining it, I just can't remember. 

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

But how did they know? They were tied up in the speeder chase, buried in quicksand, stuck in the underground tunnels then attacked by Kylo Ren.

It is briefly addressed just after they get out of the tunnel, not that it really makes any sense:

C-3PO: I suggest we return to the Millennium Falcon at once. 

POE: They’ll be waiting for us at the Falcon.

And that’s the end of it. 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

You'll remember once the music for Lando's arrival with the Falcon will be released 😁

What, do they fly around in Ochi's ship until then? That can't be right... don't they inexplicably crashland the falcon (offscreen) on the DSII ruin planet? Oh yeah, that's the shot with that terrible zoom and where the tracking is off.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

What, do they fly around in Ochi's ship until then? That can't be right... don't they inexplicably crashland the falcon (offscreen) on the DSII ruin planet? Oh yeah, that's the shot with that terrible zoom and where the tracking is off.

They steal back the Falcon on Kijimi IIRC.

46 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Oh, I do remember them using it to rescue Rey. Do we assume it was captured and put in the star destroyer and Poe stole it from there? I'm suddenly very intrigued by all this.

There's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of the Falcon being towed aboard a Star Destroyer by 4 TIE fighters, then a throwaway line by General Bad-Guy about how they captured their ship.

And that's the extent of it, until they steal it back. It's a thoroughly pointless subplot, which basically exists just to force the Ren/Rey parentage reveal in the hangar.

They don't even bother showing how they recapture the ship, it's all off-screen.

Ok, back again with some more informed speculation on TROS cues, based on comparing all the available sources: the November 11th spreadsheet, the novelization by Rae Carson and junior novelization by Michael Kogge, sheet music, interviews, and rumors (many of which have proved to be quite accurate).

image.jpeg
TIL: this giant snake is actually a puppet, not CGI!

So, since Ochi and the Dagger is 3M7, it seems fairly likely Tunnel Monster would be 3M8. The oddity is that none of that cue was used anywhere in the November 11th cut, including the titular giant snake scene, which was instead tracked with 6M2 Rey Climbs Pipes and 2M4 The Emperor Lives. The final cut instead uses a combination of Tunnel Monster and tracking 5M5 Rey Sees Mother and 7M2 Rey Meets Luke. In fact, the later seems to include the section from the Ahch-To scene that was replaced with the 6M20 Sabre Toss insert, also featuring a Force theme statement in C minor, though considerably more subdued. There’s a chance Tunnel Monster was a revision that replaced an earlier cue, meaning it might also be 3M20 or similar, but I feel that’s a bit less likely with all the tracking that was used here.

I haven’t been able to work out any way that 4M4 Zucini? (which plays when the heroes have arrived at Kijimi and first encounter Zorii) could ever come before 4M5 To The End (which is the music for when they first decide to travel to Kijimi). Maybe the slates were accidentally switched in the November 11th info, or they might have just accidentally been mid-ordered. This appears to have happened with a couple of the Rose cues in TLJ: the placement of 3M21 Rose Appears and 2M19 Rose Catches Finn seems backwards, and 3M21 indeed appears before 2M19 in the film. 4M10 Red Eyes and 4M11 Poe and Girlfriend also seem backwards (Poe and Zorii walk in together in the same shot as those red eyes), but that ordering could have been changed more easily via a reshoot.

Chewie’s Interrogation must go somewhere between 4M2 Rey’s Incredible Hand (when Chewie is captured) and 5M3 Hallway Shooting (when Chewie is freed). My best guess is 5M2: I think the original intention was the keep the reveal that Chewie was still alive (in 4M12 Ship Walk and Talk) until later, so that Rey’s grief would have more weight with the audience not already knowing it’s a fakeout. However, this would require that Kylo not go down to the planet’s surface until later, but maybe that’s what the unknown 5M4 was for. While it wasn’t used in the November 11th version, there’s at least a couple seconds in the final: listen to the last 8 seconds of ‘Prologue’ on the FYC.

It Fits! is an insert for 5M10 Landing At ?, when Rey lines the dagger up with the Death Star wreckage, which also adds the Vader theme, so it appears the November 11th data may actually be accurate here when it doesn’t list that theme. Since the film had been shortened quite a bit by the time this was recorded in mid-November, it’s probably 4M20, 4M30, or something along those lines.

The Feeling (or some portion of it) is used in the final film just before 5M1 Meddling and Poe’s Crush, but I don’t believe it was written to appear there. The phrase “the feeling” doesn’t appear anywhere, but “a feeling” does appear in a few scene. This warm clarinet rendition of the Star Wars theme doesn’t seem at all suited for the more tense scenes that feature that phrase, but it would perfectly suit Finn and Jannah bonding on the Millennium Falcon, so I believe this is 5M11, replaced by tracked music in the intended scene.

27 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

So, since Ochi and the Dagger is 3M7, it seems fairly likely Tunnel Monster would be 3M8. The oddity is that none of that cue was used anywhere in the November 11th cut, including the titular giant snake scene, which was instead tracked with 6M2 Rey Climbs Pipes and 2M4 The Emperor Lives. The final cut instead uses a combination of Tunnel Monster and tracking 5M5 Rey Sees Mother and 7M2 Rey Meets Luke. In fact, the later seems to include the section from the Ahch-To scene that was replaced with the 6M20 Sabre Toss insert, also featuring a Force theme statement in C minor, though considerably more subdued. There’s a chance Tunnel Monster was a revision that replaced an earlier cue, meaning it might also be 3M20 or similar, but I feel that’s a bit less likely with all the tracking that was used here.

FFS. I'm having a real hard time wrapping my head around this. That's ridiculous. There's like 7 different cues mentioned in here for one scene?!

2 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

FFS. I'm having a real hard time wrapping my head around this. That's ridiculous. There's like 7 different cues mentioned in here for one scene?!

It really is nutty!

And that isn’t even one of the worst spots. There’s places where one tracked cue switches momentarily to a different tracked cue for a matter of seconds and then back, and even a couple spots where more than one tracked cue are overlayed simultaneously for a few seconds! (And I don’t mean the typical intended overlap of one cue ending and another beginning.)

46 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

It really is nutty!

And that isn’t even one of the worst spots. There’s places where one tracked cue switches momentarily to a different tracked cue for a matter of seconds and then back, and even a couple spots where more than one tracked cue are overlayed simultaneously for a few seconds! (And I don’t mean the typical intended overlap of one cue ending and another beginning.)

If Mike manages to make something decent out of all this I'll be extremely impressed.

Some of the deleted scenes cues would be in the bonuses, as they were patched out with inserts.

Then there are the inserts intended for tracked music....

7 hours ago, Falco said:

Some of the deleted scenes cues would be in the bonuses, as they were patched out with inserts.

Lol. Maybe he could just make a track called "The Inserts" and have them all play one after the other. XD

18 hours ago, Falco said:

Good point. I guess it depends on whatever creates the best musical flow. I'd love unused TFA cues like No, No...No!, Leia's Condolence Speech and Finn vs Trooper reinstated to their rightful place though (seeing as two of them have early alternates in addition to the unused final versions!)

Of course, some of the film inserts/patches might be jettisoned if they're not musically interesting, like the film insert for Flying Car in COS.

18 hours ago, Falco said:

Yeah that's messy for 1M6 Insert on TLJ. Hypothetically you could include that inside a bonus track called We Can Do This (Film Edit) or something. Would slot nicely after the alternate 1M1 and alternate 1M2 :P

...we really need a new Williams score to discuss. ROTFLMAO

There is speculation that some of those alternates you speak of were never recorded, as they were revised prior to recording, and some were just shorter versions for altered cuts and other slight reworks/retimings.

22 hours ago, crumbs said:

(starting with the TLJ recording of 1M1 + alternate 1M2, and capped off with that fantastic alternate end credits suite).

Ahhh, we can dream... ROTFLMAO

Wait, I’m not clear on where the lolz start in this post. Is there some evidence of an alternate end credits suite for TLJ?

30 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Wait, I’m not clear on where the lolz start in this post. Is there some evidence of an alternate end credits suite for TLJ?

The sheet music for it

It still got some adapted music from the battle cues (Opening battle and I think Crait) though