JWFan EXCLUSIVE: The Rise of Skywalker Partial Cue List Revealed

Jay

So this new thing got put on Disney+ called "Galaxy of Sound" which is a montage of clips from all the Star Wars movies (Including TROS) with just the sound effects and no music, I wonder if it would be possible to phase invert a rip with the original film audio and get some clean music.

Or better yet Disney could just release a "Galaxy of Music"

Repost from the PM thread:

Really? That sounds cool! Not sure how well inverting would work though given the compression. Maybe it could remove a bit of sound, but it'd likely be replaced with distortion.

EDIT: Not really working for me. The speed needed to be changed a tiny bit, which results in maybe like 10-15% of the sounds being muted, mostly lower sounds. That's about it unfortunately. Oh well.

8 hours ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

Or better yet Disney could just release a "Galaxy of Music"

I hope this happens! But I won't hold my breath.

Typical that they'd go to all this effort with an 8-part series on sound effects, while the music continues to be shafted.

5 hours ago, Giftheck said:

It's not even a matter of rights at this point, is it? They own all the music rights at this point.

Yeah they have all the rights as of I believe 2017 (sometime before the "demasters" were released). For the ST I suppose the union fees might still be a concern, but for the PT and OT there's really nothing holding them back from doing something with them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Great work, guys! What do we know about the makeup of Farewell on the OST compared to this portion of the film?

They replicated what was created editorially for the film version, essentially.

Whatever JW recorded for this scene, for either the original or revised cues, remains unknown.

9 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Damn, so the OST has the pitch shifting too? Sheeeit.

Yep!

This isn’t even the only instance of apparent pitch-shifting on the TROS album: ‘Anthem of Evil’ has more than one segment that appears to be shifted on the spectrogram.

On 23/02/2022 at 9:35 PM, crypto said:

Interesting revelation here for the musical nerds out there.

There's a cue from TROS called The Kiss. One of the cellists who worked on the sequel trilogy even describes its musical content: "This part, I'm looking at it right now, it's in D minor, it's REALLY sad. You think, wait a minute, it's a kiss, why is it sad? We were all wondering... somebody died!")

The discussion about vague cue titles comes up here, then she pulls out her phone to read the actual sheet music:

The only other cue title she mentioned was Cockpit Dialogue, which we already knew about. She also specifies it was an Episode IX cue -- not the identically named cue from TLJ.

So why is this an interesting revelation? Because I'd long speculated the music for Ben/Rey's kiss in the film is either an insert or a fragment of an alternate, based on some very obvious editing revealed in the spectogram (check the black gap from 2:50 onwards, indicating an alternate recording was spliced in, complete with an artificially pitch-shifted section immediately preceding it):

1374016975_16.Farewell_flac.png

@Falstaft @BrotherSound you might be interested in this!

They say "the kiss" would be a huge spoiler. 

Before that movie you'd have NO reason to think Ben and Rey would kiss. Nobody expected them to do the tumblr fantasy stuff.

Also, just watching the movie, you can see the picture of that scene was edited as well, to run backwards. When Ben dies you can see his hair is in the wrong direction like it was played in reverse. Maybe he was supposed to be pulled up and they kiss and then Rey dies? 

and remember folks, that kiss was totally platonic

2 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Before that movie you'd have NO reason to think Ben and Rey would kiss

Dude, whatever you think of the movie or the character dynamic, I thought it was pretty explicitly set up in TLJ.  Not saying he executed it (the only thing JJ executed with TROS was any remaining respect I had for him as a filmmaker), but that struck me as one of the few threads from TLJ JJ didn't actively reject.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Dude, whatever you think of the movie or the character dynamic, I thought it was pretty explicitly set up in TLJ.  Not saying he executed it (the only thing JJ executed with TROS was any remaining respect I had for him as a filmmaker), but that struck me as one of the few threads from TLJ JJ didn't actively reject.

There was an argument to be made after The Last Jedi that something was brewing there, but it was never in a lovey romantic kiss sorta way. 

It was the same dynamic that Rey and Finn had in The Force Awakens where they were drawn to each other because they felt like they finally found someone who understood them. 

I wasn't just being crass. I really don't know anyone outside of tumblr who thought it would end in a kiss like that, 

I don't know why I decided to counter-argue anyway, I stopped caring about even the existence of TFA/TLJ after TROS came out.  I'm just glad the ship has been righted (for me anyway) with the Mandoverse and hopefully Obi-Wan too.  Give me the complete scores to the ST so I can enjoy them and pretend they're like a Star Wars concert tone poem or something.

48 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Also, just watching the movie, you can see the picture of that scene was edited as well, to run backwards. When Ben dies you can see his hair is in the wrong direction like it was played in reverse. Maybe he was supposed to be pulled up and they kiss and then Rey dies? 

Sometimes they'll reverse shots like that for practical concerns: easier to keep from accidentally bumping an actor's head raising them up rather than lowering them down. Though in this case, the editor specifically said no shots were reversed: https://comicbook.com/starwars/news/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-ben-solo-footage-reversed-rey-kylo-ren/

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Give me the complete scores to the ST so I can enjoy them and pretend they're like a Star Wars concert tone poem or something.

This!

3 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Sometimes they'll reverse shots like that for practical concerns: easier to keep from accidentally bumping an actor's head raising them up rather than lowering them down. Though in this case, the editor specifically said no shots were reversed: https://comicbook.com/starwars/news/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-ben-solo-footage-reversed-rey-kylo-ren/

Never saw this. That seems hard to believe. The shot looks way too weird and unnatural. 

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Give me the complete scores to the ST so I can enjoy them and pretend they're like a Star Wars concert tone poem or something.

That's the spirit! 

Me too. I don't know why it was even worth arguing about for either of us. Sorry. It's so irrelevant. 

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, so the new Lego Star Wars released and... it has a lot of Episode 9 music. (Quite a lot I don't recognize I might add)

However, there is this track for the Pasaana Dancing... and it's not the one from the film. Any ideas? (It's a .ogg file open in VLC)

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Whatever file that's supposed to be doesn't play for me

Yeah it's a bit weird. You have to open it in VLC specifically or it won't work since its just a renamed audio_data file.

Will try to convert

Ah thanks, it plays in VLC

I don't recognize the music, but it's clearly the work of some other composer, and not John Williams

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ah thanks, it plays in VLC

I don't recognize the music, but it's clearly the work of some other composer, and not John Williams

Ah yeah okay. I didn't think it sounded very Williams Esq but wanted to ask jic lol

There's so much stuff here and some of it sounds like he made of it and others not (I am aware he did Speeder Chase and the like) 

Screenshot 2022-04-06 211501.png

(there is more exegol, kefbir, pasaana & ajan music in other folders but screenshot was just to show)

2 hours ago, DIamondFire said:

Hey everyone, so the new Lego Star Wars released and... it has a lot of Episode 9 music. (Quite a lot I don't recognize I might add)

However, there is this track for the Pasaana Dancing... and it's not the one from the film. Any ideas? (It's a .ogg file open in VLC

Most of the music used for TROS levels isn't from the film's score, it's original music written for the game. 

EDIT: Simon Withenshaw is the composer.

How nice, they 'scored' the last chapter as if the game had been released at TROS' release date... so they didnt use any TROS music in these two years of delays, to make us feel like when they Released LEGO Star wars (I) and ROTS had not a single note from the film because it had been released along with it.

:sigh:

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Cameron007 said:

So, is it safe to say "Rey Meets Luke" isn't part of "Destiny of a Jedi"? If not, where would that be?

Hmm, why do you say that? As far as we know, 7M2 is the opening of the track, though partially replaced by an insert (6M20 Sabre Toss), with the breakdown of the OST track as follows:

Destiny of a Jedi 5:12

0:00-0:22 7M2 Rey Meets Luke

0:22-1:13 6M20 Sabre Toss

1:13-3:01 7M3 Luke's Advice

3:01-end 7M10 Leia's Sabre

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

Hmm, why do you say that? As far as we know, 7M2 is the opening of the track, though partially replaced by an insert (6M20 Sabre Toss), with the breakdown of the OST track as follows:

Destiny of a Jedi 5:12

0:00-0:22 7M2 Rey Meets Luke

0:22-1:13 6M20 Sabre Toss

1:13-3:01 7M3 Luke's Advice

3:01-end 7M10 Leia's Sabre

Ah, gotcha. I assumed it wasn't because it hadn't been mentioned before. But I also wasn't sure where else it would've gone.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Cameron007 said:

Ah, gotcha. I assumed it wasn't because it hadn't been mentioned before. But I also wasn't sure where else it would've gone.

No problem! This score certainly gets confusing with the enormous amount of tracked music and revisions atop revisions. Speaking of which, part of 7M2 Rey Meets Luke which doesn’t appear in ‘Destiny of a Jedi’ was tracked elsewhere in the film:

• 1 year later...

I found this curious breakdown of TROS with GEMA's AV Productions search:

Cue Sheet

• Title
    Work number
    Playing time
  • IMPERIAL MARCH
    1657192-001
    1:50 min
  • THE EMPEROR'S THEME
    20529312-001
    2:54 min
  • THE MILLENNIUM FALCON THEME
    24816469-001
    0:14 min
  • REY'S THEME
    16443803-001
    3:19 min
  • LIDO HEY
    24815587-001
    1:10 min
  • STOP AND START
    24816364-001
    1:28 min
  • KYLO'S THEME
    24815543-001
    0:06 min
  • UNDER A BLANKET
    24816557-001
    0:20 min
  • PSALM OF THE SITH
    24815977-001
    0:13 min
  • PARENTS
    24815899-001
    1:57 min
  • MAKE THE SACRIFICE
    24815659-001
    1:21 min
  • I AM ALL THE SITH
    24815402-001
    1:27 min
  • BEN TO REY
    24814849-001
    1:54 min
  • LUKE AND LEIA
    1285393-001
    0:43 min
  • THE FORCE THEME
    24816866-001
    3:31 min
  • PRINCESS LEIA'S THEME
    4370890-001
    1:17 min
  • OMA'S PLACE
    24815861-001
    0:16 min
  • STAR WARS (MAIN THEME)
    18238116-001
    5:40 min
  • DARTH VADER'S DEATH
    3496965-001
    0:45 min
  • THE BIRTH OF THE TWINS AND PADME'S DESTINY
    8847188-001
    0:35 min
  • PLANS FOR THE TWINS (PART I)
    10880294-001
    0:45 min
  • THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK(TFM)
    1175153-001
    1:26 min
  • NAME THAT TUNE
    24815772-001
    0:44 min
  • REY'S THEME
    16443803-001
    1:10 min
  • WILLIAMS:MAIN TITLE THEME
    7307762-001
    1:26 min
  • STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
    24816350-001
    82:29 min

Some pretty odd things going on here:

• Only a handful of TROS cues are listed, some with odd durations (There's something like 4 minutes of 8M14 Ben to Rey in the film, definitely far more than 1:54, and there's also definitely far more than 13 seconds of 8M4 Psalm of the Sith, and obviously there's far more than 6 seconds of Kylo's theme).
  • The tracking from Revenge of the Sith is listed, but not the cues tracked from The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and Return of the Jedi.
  • Rey's Theme has two entries.
  • I think the "The Empire Strikes Back(TFM)" entry is actually for Yoda's theme. There's 1:26 of it in the November 11th cut, and I don't believe that changed at all in the final edit.
  • Wild that there's 2:54 of the Emperor's theme! That might even be more than ROTJ.

13 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

The tracking from The Phantom Menace is listed

Tracking from TPM?

Isn't it Return of the Jedi that's tracked into TROS?  The Vader's Death cue inside the Death Star remains?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Isn't it Return of the Jedi that's tracked into TROS?  The Vader's Death cue inside the Death Star remains?

Yes, but 2 or 3 cues from ROTS are also used.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, that Jedi cue is pretty prominent, but there’s no less than 20 tracked cues from other Star Wars episodes, 4 different films!

The Force Awakens (9)

1M1A Starry Night

3M26R You’re Han Solo (x2)

4M36R I Ran Into You

5M46R Kylo Stalks Rey

6M50R Han and Leia Reunion

6M55R Council Meeting

6M56E Ren in Cockpit

7M67B Rey Gets Sabre

8M77 March of the Resistance

The Last Jedi (8)

1M9 Revisiting Snoke (x2)