Michael Giacchino's LET HIM GO (2020)

Jay

Michael Giacchino has been hired to score the upcoming thriller Let Him Go. The film is written and directed by Thomas Bezucha and stars Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Lesley Manville, Will Brittain, Jeffrey Donovan, Kayli Carter and Booboo Stewart. The movie is based on the novel of the same title by Larry Watson and follows a retired sheriff and his wife as they leave their Montana ranch to rescue their young grandson and discover that he is in the clutches of a dangerous family living off the grid in the Dakotas. Bezucha is also producing the project with Paula Mazur (Nim’s Island) and Mitchell Kaplan (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society). Giacchino has previously scored Bezucha’s last two features, The Family Stone and Monte Carlo. Let Him Go is currently in post-production and will be released in theaters nationwide on August 21, 2020 by Focus Features.

Giacchino also has Matt Reeves’ The Batman, the animated feature Extinct (co-scored with Mick Giacchino) and Brandon Trost’s An American Pickle, for which he provided the themes, coming up.

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/12/28/michael-giacchino-to-score-thomas-bezuchas-let-him-go/

I really don't think he's suited to Batman but at least he'll do something melodic. Batman really needs to return to that gothic darkness that Elfman started, but somehow I don't think Gia can write in that darker tone. 

Although maybe if Fallen Kingdom is any indication, he could be quite good at it! 

• 9 months later...

Back Lot Records OST album out Friday November 6th

No physical edition announced

LetHimgo.jpg

01. Let Him Goverture (7:03)
02. The Break Of Dawn (1:50)
03. A Horse With No James (3:05)
04. Ice Scream, You Scream (1:01)
05. Getting Jimmy With It (1:39)
06. A Bundt For The Hunt (1:29)
07. Nightmares And Drymouth (2:46)
08. Rough Rider Country (2:43)
09. The Horse Belongs To Her (0:44)
10. World’s Worst Rideshare (2:40)
11. A Bit Standoffish (3:06)
12. Shoulda, Coulda, Lorna (2:25)
13. That’s The Gal For Me (1:52)
14. Strawberry Feels (1:11)
15. Weboys Wobble But They Don’t Back Down (6:32)
16. He’s A Weboy Now (3:29)
17. Follow-up Visit (1:58)
18. Taking Matters Into His Own Hands (4:24)
19. Bad, Bad, Weboys Down (1:19)
20. Burning Love (1:53)
21. Joy Ride (1:49)

This is now out in any country where it's already Friday, for example:

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/let-him-go-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1534362180

You can also hear samples at that link

Only if someone like Quartet Records comes to the rescue like they did with Book of Henry

In general, most new film scores of the 2020s won't be getting physical CD releases

Just read the film synopsis then saw the track list on Apple Music. He's seriously still doing these shit puns, even for dramatic thrillers?

Does he think he's still 18 or something? Embarrassing. 

Anyway, just sounds like standard Gia drama writing. Weepy strings, a guitar instead of a piano for the solos. Orchestra sounds tiny, reminds me of Lost. 

I mean it's streaming for free like any other modern score so there's no cost involved in checking it out, just your time... but yea.  For whatever reason Giacchino is great with big blockbusters and not so much with the small dramas.  I'm sure it's perfect in the film, but as a standalone, not so much

I usually have scores playing in the background while working from home, maybe I'll give it a go tomorrow. 

As you say, it's free via Apple Music anyway!

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

Just read the film synopsis then saw the track list on Apple Music. He's seriously still doing these shit puns, even for dramatic thrillers?

I think it was established a few years ago his editor is the pun maker and he just ran with it. 

44 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I think it was established a few years ago his editor is the pun maker and he just ran with it. 

Yes, I asked asked him in person at a Q&A round after a conference in Úbeda.

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

Oh please. Have a sense of humor. I will support the puns forever. 

20 hours ago, Jay said:

I mean it's streaming for free like any other modern score so there's no cost involved in checking it out, just your time... but yea.  For whatever reason Giacchino is great with big blockbusters and not so much with the small dramas.  I'm sure it's perfect in the film, but as a standalone, not so much

This is pretty much my thoughts on Jojo Rabbit, Bad Times at the El Royale and An American Pickle. Somehow, The Book of Henry was more engaging, but that may have been the nature of the film.   

• 1 month later...

Well, a month and a half later..... Does anyone on JWFan like this score?

If so, got any recommended highlight tracks?

I'm willing to give it another chance...

I saw the film and nothing particularly stands out to warrant further listening - it's pure background music. In fact, I'd go so far to say that the film didn't need a score.