Your Top 5 most likely 2020 JW releases

Dr. Rick

Well?  What'd ya got?  Base your list on what you think will be released, not what you want, assuming that no SW or IJ releases are coming anytime soon.

My list is based on recent trends to tackle older scores, as well as possible upcoming Universal titles as discussed in Maurizio's latest podcast with MM.

SpaceCamp expanded by Intrada

Presumed Innocent 30th anniversary expanded by VS

Eiger Sanction 45th anniversary expanded

Hook (properly) expanded by LLL

Far And Away expanded

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

*Disco Stu presses @Holko button*

GIVE US THE....

"Dance, monkey, dance!"

You know what?

Fine.

I won't have many more opportunities to post it anyway!

I don't remember what thread you are talking about, but I'm sure it was simply when I happened to first open the thread, and had nothing to do with the post that happened to be immediately before it

3 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Far And Away expanded

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

Memoirs of a Geisha

The Book Thief

Stepmom

Far and Away

The Patriot

Pessimists! Hopefully, it gets more exciting than that.

Just now, Brundlefly said:

I mean, truly mind blowing exciting won't be until complete prequels, OT, sequels and Indiana Jones.

Memoirs of a Geisha is a top 10 score for me, and a complete The Patriot would be exciting for a lot of people here.

Just now, Bellosh said:

Memoirs of a Geisha is a top 10 score for me, and a complete The Patriot would be exciting for a lot of people here.

Memoirs of a Geisha and The Book Thief are not going to get expansions, because of their high re-use fees.

Here's my list:

1. JFK
  2. Amistad
  3. War of the Worlds
  4. Born on the Fourth of July
  5. The Terminal

4 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I did say in my original post:

3 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Base your list on what you think will be released, not what you want, assuming that no SW or IJ releases are coming anytime soon.

Now, are they my first choices?  Other than Hook and Far And Away, not by a long shot.  My post was intended to be for realistic expectations.  I would be elated to get other releases from the '90s or '00s!  I guess I could've made it a top-10 list and included JFK, Amistad, Angela's Ashes, etc...

5 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Memoirs of a Geisha and The Book Thief are not going to get expansions, because of their high re-use fees.

I thought I heard in one of the podcasts recently, they discussed possible future Sony releases, and isn't The Book Thief a Sony release?

1 minute ago, Bellosh said:

I thought it one of the podcasts recently, they discussed possible future Sony releases, and isn't The Book Thief a Sony release?

They're not talking about anything post-2005.

1 minute ago, ATXHusker said:

Are there any post-2005 scores that were not recorded in L.A.? 

By Williams?  No.  By other composers?  Of course!

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

There's just not that much interesting stuff left. BotfoJ and Nixon I'd probably buy. And if Eiger Sanction has more than 10 minutes of new stuff I'd buy that , too.

You keep saying that, but in the end you buy them all.

1 minute ago, Bellosh said:

Yeah 2005 can fuck off.

War of the Worlds is luckily made it before that new rule.

I think and hope that an expanded release of The Eiger Sanction is very likely given the recent fine expansion of another Universal score by Williams from the same period, Earthquake.  Hopefully it will include a remastered presentation of the rerecorded album as well as the first ever release of the original film tracks.  There is so much great music unrepresented on the OST, especially from the climbing scenes in the last third of the movie.  The music for the scene where French climber Montaigne is mortally injured by falling rocks is classic Williams.

I can't think of the other four, but the above would keep me going nicely for the year.

I think the most likely 2020 JW releases are any of these Universal titles which have been already released but not expanded yet:

The Eiger Sanction (1975)
The River (1984)
Born on the Fourth of July (1989)
Always (1989)
Far and Away (1992)

It is because there are no obstructions in the game like the following ones:

20th Century Fox - now belongs to Walt Disney Studios (see below)
Sony Music - record company decided to not do deals any more with all the labels!
Walt Disney - studio is very selective about providing their scores to the other labels!
Warner Bros. - new owners have caused new policies that may be cost prohibitive for all future projects!

Yeah, Universal titles seem like no brainers. LLL will be keen to get those underway in case they change their policies like the other studios. Fortunately they have a pretty good relationship there, so I don't foresee too many issues with the JW titles. 

The Patriot is a Sony movie, but its OST was released by Disney's Hollywood Records, right? So, an expanded score is not completly ruled out by this whole Sony situation, right?

Or are the scores released by Hollywood also in some sort of problem with specialty labels?

I know because the OST is by Disney's Hollywood Records and not Sony, but is there any problem concerning Hollywood Records that could stop its scores from being expanded by specialty labels?

I don't think so, because Alive was released by them, and it was recently expanded. Also, Hollywood does have a lot of interesting material that could be expanded, not only The Patriot, but also Trevor Jones' Aracnophobia, Newman's The Horse Whisperer, Elmer Bernstein's The Rainmaker, JNH's Unbreakable, some Horners (Mighty Joe Young, Ransom, etc), and, for vintage Media Ventures fans, John Powell's Face/Off, Rabin and HGW's Enemy of the State, Mancina and Rabin's Con Air, among others.

An expanded release of The Patriot needs to licence any music used on the OST from Hollywood Records, then all the unreleased music from Columbia Pictures (subsidiary of Sony Pictures) and Centropolis Entertainment. Sony Music doesn't need to be involved in the chain.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

An expanded release of The Patriot needs to licence any music used on the OST from Hollywood Records, then all the unreleased music from Columbia Pictures (subsidiary of Sony Pictures) and Centropolis Entertainment. Sony Music doesn't need to be involved in the chain.

Great, thanks for the info!

So, 2020 is the 20th birthday of The Patriot. It's an interesting time to release the expansion.

10 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So, 2020 is the 20th birthday of The Patriot. It's an interesting time to release the expansion.

I used to be big on the 'anniversary' theory but, after all the big milestones that went begging last year, I'm less confident. Reivers, Always, Sugarland... 

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I know because the OST is by Disney's Hollywood Records and not Sony, but is there any problem concerning Hollywood Records that could stop its scores from being expanded by specialty labels?

The only obstacle, if one can call it that, is that only Intrada has access to Disney, so The Patriot would have to come from them. LLL has no working relationship with Disney, Varese had previously but they have not released anything Disney related in a long time (The Black Cauldron is a re-recording that they own outright). Also they seem to be focusing on expanding titles they hold perp rights to at this stage. 

The only thing I wish for is completely unreleleased scores. But since the topic is about 'most likely', none of those who would qualify. I'm only expecting to face uninteresting expansion announcements in the coming years.

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

I used to be big on the 'anniversary' theory but, after all the big milestones that went begging last year, I'm less confident. Reivers, Always, Sugarland... 

One interesting exercise is to take all expansions released recently, and calculate what percentage of them were timed to anniversaries. If is a significant amount (say, 15 to 35%), then it may indicate that the anniversart stuff is still a thing, at least for some releases.

Also take into consideration how many of those were commissioned or made to tie in with other anniversary events (Schindler definitely was), or just named anniversary releases because they got completed in almost accidentally the correct year.

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2020 at 11:15 AM, ATXHusker said:

Far And Away expanded

Hey I'm 1 for 1 so far!  :rock2: