Your Top 5 most likely 2020 JW releases

Dr. Rick

14 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

TIBET is an absolute lock.

Trust me!

10 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

AMISTAD is coming.....

Do you know something, or are you just speculating?

11 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

AMISTAD is coming.....

I still there actually much (of note) missing from this or Seven Years in Tibet? The latter is one of my favourite Williams scores of that period, the main theme is absolutely gorgeous. The origin album is pretty muddy though so it could do with a little remixing to reveal the inner detail.

I believe that there is approximately 40 minutes of the score to Amistad that is not yet released. I REALLY hope that score gets the remastered, expanded and definitive treatment before the end of the year.

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

Do you know something, or are you just speculating?

Educated guess based on used CDs showing up at Amoeba.

It often prefigures upcoming expansions.

I predict FIELD OF DREAMS.

ITS like predicting earthquakes- not an exact science.

Keep hope alive!😁

3 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I believe that there is approximately 40 minutes of the score to Amistad that is not yet released. I REALLY hope that score gets the remastered, expanded and definitive treatment before the end of the year.

Thanks for the info. I'd be interested in an expanded edition as with any JW score although have to admit that Amistad isn't one I listen to often. Will have to give it a spin! Definitely think Seven Yers in Tibet would pique my interest more. 

4 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Thanks for the info. I'd be interested in an expanded edition as with any JW score although have to admit that Amistad isn't one I listen to often.

There's some great unreleased music and potentially quite a few alternates. This is an unreleased highlight:

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

There's some great unreleased music and potentially quite a few alternates. This is an unreleased highlight:

That is very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing sure it'll happen eventually!

On 8/17/2020 at 6:49 PM, bollemanneke said:

I'd be interested in:

Born on the Fourth of July

Catch Me If You Can

Hook

Jane Eyre (re-issue or complete)

Memoirs of a Geisha

Presumed Innocent

Seven Years in Tibet

Stepmom

The Patriot

The Terminal

Can't say I'm being picky! Hook first though.

For the 3 Oliver Stone soundtracks it would be great to have a triple box like the desaster box. 

Concerning Tibet, was anybody else reminded to Lovestory at hearing the main title for the first time? 

8 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

For the 3 Oliver Stone soundtracks it would be great to have a triple box like the desaster box. 

I think the possibility of an Oliver Stone box set was ruled out, due to convoluted licensing reasons (all 3 films are owned by different studios and the different labels for the OST).

Hook would probably be an expensive release, so if it's on LLL's slate it might explain why WOTW went to Intrada. 

Or it's completely unrelated and Intrada just offered more money for that score, who knows. 

On 10/3/2020 at 9:04 AM, GerateWohl said:

For the 3 Oliver Stone soundtracks it would be great to have a triple box like the disaster box. 

Agreed, although most comments seem to point the fact that, as it's three different studios, it's not a goer. Although, presumably if each album and set of artwork were approved by the individual studios, all they would need to agree would be the artwork for the box it came in and that could (if absolutely necessary) be generic to the extent that it didn't contain the logos or any official artwork and effectively it's three individual releases in a box. In which case, one might hope it's not quite that difficult, but I'm sure there's something crucial I've missed!

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

At least two very good ones. ;)

I assume Nixon is the one you're less set on? I have to admit that, as one of the first "new" JW scores to come out after I started collecting (Jurassic Park, you'll be pleased to note, being my first ever soundtrack purchase), it didn't set my world alight at the time, but I've come to appreciate it significantly more in the intervening years. I don't know how much great material is missing, although there is definitely quite a bit missing from BOTFOJ which is well worth hearing. Sure they will appear in time...

3 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I assume Nixon is the one you're less set on? I have to admit that, as one of the first "new" JW scores to come out after I started collecting (Jurassic Park, you'll be pleased to note, being my first ever soundtrack purchase), it didn't set my world alight at the time, but I've come to appreciate it significantly more in the intervening years. I don't know how much great material is missing, although there is definitely quite a bit missing from BOTFOJ which is well worth hearing. Sure they will appear in time...

Yeah, I was referring to Nixon. It's got comparatively weak thematic material, and I don't get much out of the underscore either. Btw, JP was also my first soundtrack purchase (I think), and to date the best. :)

Technically even LLL thought the Disaster Scores couldn't be one set due to Earthquake being a different studio, but it's the studios themselves who were like "sure, who cares, do it, give it a different catalogue number and we're set" if I remember correctly. Though of course Disney being involved makes it a bit different.

On 10/3/2020 at 3:25 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

I still there actually much (of note) missing from this or Seven Years in Tibet? The latter is one of my favourite Williams scores of that period, the main theme is absolutely gorgeous. The origin album is pretty muddy though so it could do with a little remixing to reveal the inner detail.

Watched Seven Years in Tibet tonight and there is a stack of unreleased source music (everything from ceremonial horns to quiet meditation music, a music box, chanting monks and marching bands) plus a quite a few unreleased film cues. The cue list posted on JWFan is incomplete; several cues are unaccounted for.

The OST is a great listening experience but it doesn't compare to the chronological scoring in the film proper; a very emotional experience which comes together nicely in the final act. You don't get any sense of thematic development/musical narrative on the OST, just a pleasant listen from start to finish. Would love for Mike to tackle this one sometime, hopefully with all the source music included (the orchestration blends everything together nicely; think Prisoner of Azkaban where the line between source and score is blurred).

Without forensically comparing the two, it feels like half the OST is music isn't even used in the film. Reminds me of the Munich and Lincoln OSTs where JW recorded a stack of wild music and opted to use that on his OST rather than film cues.

I can't see any upside to attempting to put do all three Oliver Stone scores scores at once and bundling together in some box.  Just doing and releasing them one at a time makes more sense to me in every way I can think of

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Watched Seven Years in Tibet tonight and there is a stack of unreleased source music (everything from ceremonial horns to quiet meditation music, a music box, chanting monks and marching bands) plus a quite a few unreleased film cues. The cue list posted on JWFan is incomplete; several cues are unaccounted for.

The OST is a great listening experience but it doesn't compare to the chronological scoring in the film proper; a very emotional experience which comes together nicely in the final act. You don't get any sense of thematic development/musical narrative on the OST, just a pleasant listen from start to finish. Would love for Mike to tackle this one sometime, hopefully with all the source music included (the orchestration blends everything together nicely; think Prisoner of Azkaban where the line between source and score is blurred).

Without forensically comparing the two, it feels like half the OST is music isn't even used in the film. Reminds me of the Munich and Lincoln OSTs where JW recorded a stack of wild music and opted to use that on his OST rather than film cues.

This is what I got from watching the film some time ago:

1m3 Leaving Ingrid (Cue A) (OST TRACK 9 2:18- 4:38)

1m3 (Insert) Leaving Ingrid (old Cue A) (OST TRACK 3)
1m3A The Rescue of Peter (OST TRACK 4 0:00-1:16)

1m4
1m5 Young Dali Lama  (Cue B) (OST TRACK 7 0:00-1:36)

­1m7 Meeting the Sherpa (OST TRACK 9 0:51-2:18)

3m1 Transported to Prison (OST TRACK 5 0:00-0:52)

3m2 Alone in Prison 0:22 Unreleased
3m4 The Barbed Wire Scene (Cue C) (OST TRACK 12 0:56-2:37)

3m6A The Escape 2:04 Unreleased
3m7-Long The Second Escape (OST TRACK 5 1:23-end) 

3m7-(Short The Second Escape) 0:36 Unreleased
3m11 Stealing Food (OST TRACK 6 1:46-2:37)
5m2 Sixty-Eight Kilometers (OST TRACK 9 4:38-end)

5m? (Arrival in Tibet) 0:51 Unreleased
5m5 Heinrich's Slow Growth (Cue E) (OST TRACK 11 0:40-end)
5m5A Escaping the Bandits  (OST TRACK 4 1:16-2:05)
5m6 Horsemeat and Rescue (OST TRACK 5 0:52-1:23)
7m1AX The Capitol City (OST TRACK 9 0:00-0:51)

7m3 Western Clothes (OST TRACK 10 0:00-0:47)

7m4 (Gun Crates) 0:22 Unreleased

7m5 Peter and Pema 1:39 Unreleased
9m1 Thinking by the Water (OST TRACK 12 2:37-end)

9m2 (Palace Invitation) 1:31 Unreleased
9m3 Meeting the Dali (OST TRACK 10 0:47-end)

??m? (Teaching) 0:54 Unreleased

11m? (The Attack) 0:47 Unreleased
11m4 Prophetic Dream (OST TRACK 7 1:36-end)

11m? (The Plane) 0:51 Unreleased
11m9A The Generals Enter (OST TRACK 6 2:37-3:05)
11m10 Praying Through A Telescope (OST TRACK 12 0:00-0:56)
13m1 Preparing the Defense (OST TRACK 6 0:00-1:46)
13m2 The Tibetan Defeat (OST TRACK 4 2:05-end)
13m3 The Chinese Takeover (OST TRACK 6 3:05-end)

13m? (Praying) 1:38 Unreleased

13m? (Reflections) 1:54 Unreleased
13m11 The Dali Lama’s Investiture (OST TRACK 11 0:00-0:40)

??m? (Saying Goodbye)  2:54 Unreleased
15m2 Regaining A Son (new) (OST TRACK 13)
15m3 End Credits  (OST track 1 or 14)

The Child of Tibet (OST track 8)

Note: Track titles in parentheses are NOT the official titles.

Apologies in advance for any errors and/or mistakes.

In the same way that I don't like all three disaster scores in one box, all three Harry Potter scores in one box, both Jurassic Park scores in one package, etc., I would prefer individual releases of the Oliver Stone scores.

The only upside to a box set situation for me is that you get all of them at once instead of having to wait.

Oh my shelf I took out the separate Harry Potter and Disaster scores and put them where they belong in between Williams' other works.  The empty outer boxes sit on top with other box sets.

For JP I couldn't do that, so the 4CD set is next to my JP OST, and the Lost World OST has nothing next to it, even though it has been expanded.

I imagine now that the JP/TLW box is sold out, they might re-release them individually, especially with Mike's deep entrenchment into Universal in recent years (25 titles in the past 2 years), but who knows

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I've seen it, but have only a vague recollection of the film if I did, certainly not enough to match the music to the film. I agree that the album is a great listening experience although, as I commented earlier, the sound is a bit muddy. Not sure if that's the orchestration or recording, but think it's more the latter, so improving that would be a definite bonus as well as hearing it in film order. It's funny that Williams so often rearranges his music for album listening when the narrative arc of most of his scores is so strong that listening to them in film order generally works really well.

The music quality in the film is absolutely shocking too. Very echoey and warbling throughout, as if there was a serious mastering error somewhere in the production chain. 

No idea if that's just the Bluray or consistent with other releases but it really ruins the scenes where score carry the emotion (especially the strings, which sounds borderline synth in places). 

A lot of Williams OSTs in that 90s/00s era suffer from very muddy audio quality. I believe Mike once said this was a trend back in the 90s, where the dynamic range of a score would often be reduced to cater to a larger commercial audience and its wide variety of listening devices. He always improves the AQ on his expansions so this should be no different. Even the Demasters of the SW prequels have an astonishing uptick in detail compared to the OSTs (even the TPM UE sounds much better) so it seems like an intentional mastering choice to "flatten" out the recordings.

19 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The music quality in the film is absolutely shocking too. Very echoey and warbling throughout, as if there was a serious mastering error somewhere in the production chain. 

No idea if that's just the Bluray or consistent with other releases but it really ruins the scenes where score carry the emotion (especially the strings, which sounds borderline synth in places). 

A lot of Williams OSTs in that 90s/00s era suffer from very muddy audio quality. I believe Mike once said this was a trend back in the 90s, where the dynamic range of a score would often be reduced to cater to a larger commercial audience and its wide variety of listening devices. He always improves the AQ on his expansions so this should be no different. Even the Demasters of the SW prequels have an astonishing uptick in detail compared to the OSTs (even the TPM UE sounds much better) so it seems like an intentional mastering choice to "flatten" out the recordings.

Interesting. The Lost World was the one Williams score I really noticed it and the LLL version is massively improved in that regard. I've not actually listened to any of the Star Wars de-masterings... but I know what you mean, they have a kind of squashy sound to them, not enough brightness and range. Although I find quite a few Williams albums have that issue, particularly his self-conducted compilation albums which I always think could do with a bit more range and less softness.

Indeed. I think Mike's comments on the subject were in his TLW podcast funnily enough, because he was discussing the difference in audio quality for that score (which is absurdly good, Murphy's recording sparkles on the LLL). Minority Report is night and day as well, compared to the muddy OST. 

I'm sure the gist of his comments was that it's an intentional decision (which he is gradually rectifying with his expansions). 

3 hours ago, Oskar said:

3m6A The Escape 2:04 Unreleased

The one really relevant missing cue.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I can't see any upside to attempting to put do all three Oliver Stone scores scores at once and bundling together in some box.  Just doing and releasing them one at a time makes more sense to me in every way I can think of

The level of excitement, when they get released all at once maybe?

I dunno, I think expanding just one of them first would be pretty damn exciting, and the board would be filled with endless speculation posts until the others are done as well.

I think the labels would sell more copies and make more money doing them individually, too.

9 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I assume Nixon is the one you're less set on? I have to admit that, as one of the first "new" JW scores to come out after I started collecting (Jurassic Park, you'll be pleased to note, being my first ever soundtrack purchase), it didn't set my world alight at the time, but I've come to appreciate it significantly more in the intervening years. I don't know how much great material is missing

There's a fair amount yet to be released from Nixon, about as much as any JW score outside of Star Wars and Indy:

1M6 They Want To Believe the President

1M7 It’s The Lie

3M1 Did I Approve

3M3 T.V. Debate

3M4 Election Results

3M5 I Hate Losing

4M1 Mother’s Faithful Dog

4M2 Sound Like Mother

4M4 Football In Whittier

4M4R Football To Campaigning

4M7ABC Early Days (Pat And Dick Theme) Alternate Version

4M8 I Want A Divorce

8M7 Talking With Lincoln

9M1 Harold’s Death

10M3 Meeting On The Potomac

12M2 Family Chat

12M5+6 It’s The Lie

13M4 Hoover’s Death And The Jones Ranch

17M4 Back To Life

21M1 Praying

There's also some cues that are only partially included on the OST. I'd estimate there's at least 45 minutes of unreleased material, not counting source cues, so it'd need to be a 2-disc set. However, I can't say there's any definitive highlights missing, so if the score doesn't seem like your cup of tea, an expanded release wouldn't be likely to change your mind.

There's a complete cue list and OST breakdown here: