Cues that you like on scores that you otherwise DON'T like!

Edmilson

You know when you're listening to a score that's pretty bad, you're not liking it... But then suddenly comes a cue so great, that it manages to be one good track on a sea of dreck, and ALMOST redeems the otherwise bad/uninteresting/dull/cliched/etc score? Let's put them here!

Firstly, JNH's score for the NFL drama Concussion is dull as a dishwater, but the album at least contains this beautiful, romantic cue for Will Smith's protagonist and his wife, that reminds me of parts of his beautiful Water For Elephants score (Jacob Sees Marlena, Prosze Rosie, Baptism).

RGW's score for Wonder Woman is not a masterpiece by any means, but I love the Chronicles of Narnia-esque Amazons of Themyscira (from 2:13 onwards) and the very touching Trafalgar Celebration, that has some emotional performances of Diana's Theme and the love theme for her and Steve.

And while I don't hate BvS' score as much as a lot of people, I do think this track is genuinely good, mixing 2010s Zimmer with 2000s Zimmer in a good way. They tracked a portion of this track on the scene that Superman goes to that Capitol hearing, and worked wonderfully, giving that scene a gravitas reminiscent of earlier epic Zimmer, like Prince of Egypt, Gladiator and King Arthur.

What are your picks?

Mission: Impossible III is probably one of the dullest things I've heard thus far, but the love theme is probably one of my favorites from Gia. Plus the Humpty Dumpty cue is probably one of the only ones that keeps me invested in its low key spy shenanigans.

And this one should be obvious on the MCU front, since IM3 really gives me absolutely nothing besides its main theme and some neat stylings in spots:

Burwell’s score for Missing Link isn’t bad by any means, it just doesn’t make much of an impression overall.

But the couple of cues featuring sweeping renditions of this traveling theme are among the best, and least heard, film music from 2019.

19 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Firstly, JNH's score for the NFL drama Concussion is dull as a dishwater, but the album at least contains this beautiful, romantic cue for Will Smith's protagonist and his wife, that reminds me of parts of his beautiful Water For Elephants score (Jacob Sees Marlena, Prosze Rosie, Baptism).

I like the exact same cue! In the grand scheme of thing it's not a very remarkable cue, but within the score it's a really nice little cue.

A couple that I absolutely dig (not all of them score cues) from soundtracks that I otherwise don't like:

Lost in Space from Lost in Space (Broughtom)

Merry Men from Robin Hood (Streitenfeld)

I am Iron Man from Iron Man 2 (Debney)

Main Title from City Slickers (Shaiman)

Roland of Eld from The Dark Tower (Holkenborg)

I’m All Fired Up from Captain Marvel (Toprak )

I could go in, but those are some of the more recent ones I’ve listened to.