Do you think you will still be alive when complete Star Wars scores(OT,PT,ST) are released?

King Mark

Does anyone know if the advent of the Prequel L2P concerts might boost the likelihood of complete releases? That's also assuming that there's any plans to do Prequel L2Ps in the first place...

35 minutes ago, Arpy said:

That's also assuming that there's any plans to do Prequel L2Ps in the first place...

Apparently Disney don't want to do the prequels, according to one of the leading conductors for the OT and ST.

Is it another licensing/fees thing, or is it the nature of the scores being tracked like hell. I just rewatched AotC, not having seen it in a good many years, but my god the score is in tatters - tracking all over the place, especially at the end. I was mortified because it's all so obvious and loud!

It's probably a bit of both. They would need Williams' consent as well, and I doubt he has much interest in those massacred scores being done live (plus the amount of choral work is another hurdle). 

Just now, Manakin Skywalker said:

John Williams, the only conductor of the OT?

I was referring to the LTP performances. I would've thought that was obvious. 

Just now, crumbs said:

I was referring to the LTP performances. I would've thought that was obvious. 

Nevermind, I thought you were talking about complete scores yet. I didn't bother reading above posts talking about the LTP concerts. :lol:

11 hours ago, mstrox said:

I'm sure Disney's concerns are based more on the public perception of the prequels

Yeah, that's the first thing they should be concerned about, after the barrage of turds they let loose on the Star Wars universe the past 5 years. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lets say MM got the green light to produce a complete box set of the 9 SW scores , how long would it take him to do the job...is that like a few months or a few years work?

How much time did he spend on the Potter box?

16 hours ago, King Mark said:

Lets say MM got the green light to produce a complete box set of the 9 SW scores , how long would it take him to do the job...is that like a few months or a few years work?

How much time did he spend on the Potter box?

I really hope it doesn't ever come out as a giant box set. Not only would be really expensive, but also force people to buy all of the scores. Personally, I'm only interested in RotS, and possibly TROS, and I'm sure there are others who don't want all 9 scores.

I remember some concerns when Ryan came out, about the possibility that a Potter release (in whatever form) might have been delayed diue to SS asking MM to do that first, particularly when Ryan has negligible extra music.

40 minutes ago, Alex said:

They should just sell all the audio files as a DIY kit and let people assemble them on they’re own haha

In all seriousness, I feel like this would be a good idea in addition to boxsets because I'm sure a lot of us are just going to assemble our own edits anyway!

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've always thought this.  The composer should get to craft an OST album by whatever method they use, and that should come out when the film does, and be the only way to hear the score out of the gate.

Then, around when the film hits home video, release a digital album of the entire score, each cue in its own track in chronological order.  Fans of the scores would pay for these archives.

The specialty labels can still do nice albums down the road when it becomes affordable to license them.

That sounds like paradise. :blush2:

I will happily pay the high price for a box set of all 9 scores in complete (and for the OT, remastered) form someday.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I've always thought this.  The composer should get to craft an OST album by whatever method they use, and that should come out when the film does, and be the only way to hear the score out of the gate.

Then, around when the film hits home video, release a digital album of the entire score, each cue in its own track in chronological order.  Fans of the scores would pay for these archives.

The specialty labels can still do nice albums down the road when it becomes affordable to license them.

I agree with you on all but one element of this - I don't understand the need for delays in allowing fans to purchase the entire score.

So the artistic merit of the album the composer crafted has its chance to shine.

Films come out on home video 2-3 months after theatrical release these days, it's really not that long a wait.

I can see practical/time limitations to get it out so soon after the film is done, but I could never get behind deliberately not allowing fans to hear all the music. You can still appreciate the composer's album while having both available.

I can perhaps see an edge case where the composer isn't sure how the score will be received, and puts an album together to see if an expansion would be desired. But once you've established that demand and the composer is happy, I don't see the problem.

It’s wishful thinking— A boxed set of all 9 films released in the first half of 2022.  It would put paid to the Skywalker Saga, coincide with Williams’ 90th birthday (well, it’s something for the marketing folks to use), and it would be before the release of the next SW movie.

Then release them individually in Q4 for Christmas sales.  Or trilogy boxed sets for the Christmas sales with individual titles about six months later.

Writing as someone who will in six and a half months be as old as his biological father was at the time of his death.

3 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

If you really think about it, the whole concept of a traditional "soundtrack" album is kind of strange, especially if it contains a bunch of unused or alternate material like most of the Star Wars albums do. The word "soundtrack" would indicate that it should be isolated audio from the sound track of the film, hence the name... or preferably, all of the music recorded for a film. Instead what we get basically amounts to a "highlights" album, that just so happens to contain unused material as well for some reason. In my opinion, the concept of a traditional soundtrack presentation is outdated... a product of technological or storage limitations of physical media from past generations. Now that we have digital media with no storage limit, there's no need to continue releasing incomplete scores.

But the thing about us humans (and in particular, Americans) is that once we start a tradition, it's near impossible for us to move on from it.

I disagree. I have a strong preference for complete releases - I'm more a fan of film scores than soundtrack albums - but I do respect and see value in also creating more concise presentations, particularly for scores that are longer or tougher to sit through. There's a big difference between an hour-long musical experience and one that approaches or exceeds two hours. That's a fact that long predates the advent of sound recording technology.

I only get annoyed when I don't have an option to listen to the actual score from which the album was crafted. In my mind, they're two separate (though obviously related) things, and I like the freedom to choose between them.

Disney did make the choice to redo the albums and hasn't even released the expanded versions that were put out by RCA and Sony over and over again. It certainly doesn't bode well.

Disney will probably release the complete scores of OT when they need to generate hype for their new trilogies.

The complete PT scores will be release when they remake the PT or do a PT era trilogy. 

The complete ST scores will be released when ppl think of the ST as new definitive SW trilogy. 

If the release of the complete scores can't generate hype, they won't do it. Public opinion of SW is mixed. So they'll wait at least a few years. When the new trilogy comes out, they'll need people to like the new music and also themes from the OT, esp. the Force Theme. If such a release diminishes the event status of the new SW films, they won't do it. 

Everyday, new fans/kids are discovering Star Wars. Personally, I want everything from the ROTJ sessions. I can live without the other scores.

Happy waiting. :pat:

6 hours ago, Datameister said:

I disagree. I have a strong preference for complete releases - I'm more a fan of film scores than soundtrack albums - but I do respect and see value in also creating more concise presentations, particularly for scores that are longer or tougher to sit through. There's a big difference between an hour-long musical experience and one that approaches or exceeds two hours. That's a fact that long predates the advent of sound recording technology.

I only get annoyed when I don't have an option to listen to the actual score from which the album was crafted. In my mind, they're two separate (though obviously related) things, and I like the freedom to choose between them.

I don't think there's disagreement here about whether the composer should create a 'listening' album, which is very valuable in many cases.

The issue is whether an expanded.complete release should accompany it. I find it rather patronising to suggest that there should be an in-built delay in releasing more music. 

10 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

If you really think about it, the whole concept of a traditional "soundtrack" album is kind of strange, especially if it contains a bunch of unused or alternate material like most of the Star Wars albums do. The word "soundtrack" would indicate that it should be isolated audio from the sound track of the film, hence the name... or preferably, all of the music recorded for a film. Instead what we get basically amounts to a "highlights" album, that just so happens to contain unused material as well for some reason.

Well in some cases it's a 'what we'd recorded when we had to make this release' album, which explains a lot of unused music and alternate versions. That's completely understandable.

I've been through this several times, but where I put my foot down is wanting the same compositions as heard in the film. As soon as you're putting wildly different versions on, it's not really a soundtrack any more.

• 3 months later...

Roger Fegielson from Intrada just confirmed something on the FSM message boards that we basically already knew, but it's nice to have official confirmation

Roger,

Since Intrada has a relationship with Disney, might it be possible to see new/expanded releases of the "Star Wars" and "Indy" films??

Since Disney has their own record label, there would be no reason for them to license out to third parties. If they happen, I would expect to see them on Walt Disney Records.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=140317&forumID=1&archive=0

"If they happen, I would expect to see them on Walt Disney Records."

That's a big if.

Disney hasn't even bothered to continue their Legacy Collection for what are supposedly their signature cinematic works.

And I'd imagine it all revolves around one thing.

Money.

At least we have the Anthology, and the ST FYCs.

Sadly we never got UEs for II and III.

I've only listened to two Legacy sets and both had serious problems: one wasn't remastered (Beauty and the Beast) and the other contained too many ultra-short tracks (Toy Story).

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

one wasn't remastered (Beauty and the Beast)

What is the problem here? I'm asking because I'm unfamiliar with the SQ on this title.

9 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

That it still sounds like crap and that the volume is ridiculously low (and that some tracks cross-fade into each other and that some tracks have dialogue).

Dialogue?

i dont like it either. Specially the rome & juillet reading in human again. ug.

Most of the disney musicals of that era contain dialogue, even some soundtrack exclusive. At times they are part of the lyrics but unsung.

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I've only listened to two Legacy sets and both had serious problems: one wasn't remastered (Beauty and the Beast) and the other contained too many ultra-short tracks (Toy Story).

How the hell have you not heard the legacy Lion King?