Do you think you will still be alive when complete Star Wars scores(OT,PT,ST) are released?

King Mark

On 5/28/2020 at 8:09 PM, toni112007 said:

I am quite sure the movie version of Imperial March will never be released so the answer is no.

WHAT?!

2 minutes ago, Demodex said:

WHAT?!

10 hours ago, Jay said:

He's talking about the music in the film itself, for when the Imperial Fleet is first shown in space after Han & Chewie destroy the probe.  The film drops Williams' intended cue (the cue first made available on the 1997 SE set as "Aboard The Executor"), and tracks in The Imperial March instead.  But more specifically, it doesn't track in the same takes that were used to assemble the album version of The Imperial March, they tracked in different takes with different instrumentation and such.

I hope that explains it for you. 

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

How do you guys even notice this stuff?  Different take?  Really?

The tempo is different. The strings are more marcato than staccato. The Brass takes more time on the short 16th note Bb's, in fact the second one is that prominent it makes the piece all that more scary. The Brass overall gives a much stronger and rounded performance overall. #ineedalife

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

Next time you watch the film, you'll notice it too

Not likely, but I don't mind.  Thanks for the explanation anyway.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Geez, those were the days with Star Wars. When the films just opened up and let JW's music do the storytelling for 45 uninterrupted seconds.

2017 wasn't so bad either, let's be real :-)

At this stage I'll settle for expanded prequel scores (even UEs of Eps II and III would have been better than nothing). Considering that Disney appears to be pretending the prequels don't exist, I'm not hopeful.

For the OT I can live with the Anthology (for sound quality) and the SEs (for completeness).

For the ST I am satisfied with the OSTs and the FYCs.

I'll be shocked if Disney does anything else other than more silly vinyl releases.

At least we managed to cobble together 90% of the Prequel music with the videogames files. Not ideal but better than nothing. There's still a few edits in there I can't get to sound ideal though because of missing 5 second sections of score here and there

8 minutes ago, King Mark said:

At least we managed to cobble together 90% of the Prequel music with the videogames files. Not ideal but better than nothing. There's still a few edits in there I can't get to sound ideal though because of missing 5 second sections of score here and there

Wow, was it that much? (I never kept track of these things.)

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes absolutely, video games eventually contained almost all the prequel music completely clean

Does anybody know why they don't use JW's music in video games anymore? (Except maybe Lego games?) Are the re-use fees and the rights more expensive than hiring a composer to record a completely new score?

Lucasfilm didn't have to pay re-use fees to put the music in the video games, that's something that only applies to scores recorded with union musicians in America and Canada which the first six SW scores were not (they were all recorded in London)

I don't know if anyone on JWfan would know the answer to why older games had more tracked music and newer games have more original music, maybe you could google for interviews with composers who have worked on the latest games

yeah we should have even more compete Prequel scores by now.

And they should use Mark Griskey  not Gordy Haab for the games

I was thinking about it yesterday and honestly I'd be happy with just these expansions:

SW Prequels

The Patriot

Born on the Fourth of July

The Eiger Sanction

24 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

15th anniversary of Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, the 40th anniversary of Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Don't forget the 5th anniversary of The Force Awakens ;)

2022 will be prolific also. The 45th anniversary of Star Wars, the 20th anniversary of Attack of the Clones and the 5th anniversary of The Last Jedi.

37 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Don't forget the 5th anniversary of The Force Awakens ;)

2022 will be prolific also. The 45th anniversary of Star Wars, the 20th anniversary of Attack of the Clones and the 5th anniversary of The Last Jedi.

That's right; I did not think of that.

Just now, King Mark said:

Don't forget 2077, when it will be Star Wars 100th anniversary. That a good time to release the box set

I wonder if JWFan will still be around in 2077?

I lurk around these forums every few months looking for any updates on Star Wars Music. What is the hold-up? I know that people love Star Wars music, but most people are happy with concert suites or OST music. I can't imagine that releasing new Star Wars music is going to move the hype needle that much. Only the diehards want the COMPLETE CUES. I do not believe that Disney is holding on the original tapes waiting for a rainy day to drum up excitement about Star Wars.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that the delay is due either to rights issues or to profitability. If Prequel music is tied up with Sony or the picked-over corpse of Fox, that might explain why the prequel scores at least have been held back. However, if it is an issue of profitability, then is there any way that fans can crowdfund the project? Although it is ridiculous for a company as huge as DIsney to ask for crowdsourcing money, it might be a way to make a profit on a niche product by setting a budget for editors, etc., and including a modest bump to make it worth their while. Since it crowdfunded, they would be getting the money up-front. They could also do a larger scale release done the line, which would essentially be icing on the cake. They could include "stretch goals" for limited edition vinyls, signed do-dads, etc. I could easily imagine people on these forums dropping a few hundred dollars to make this happen. Again PLEASE correct me if this is a naive business model.

Alternatively, I imagine they could include isolated scores for all 9 (12?) films (as was done with The Last Jedi) as "bonus features" for some quinquennial re-release of the films to drum up interest. This gives us only the hack-jobs in Attack of the Clones or The Force Awakens, but at least it is SOMETHING.

21 hours ago, crumbs said:

I wonder if JWFan will still be around in 2077?

Myself at 84 years old will need a place on whatever version of the internet to complain about the generic scores of Lorne Balfe IV and Henry Jackman V.

22 minutes ago, gregorynbaker said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that the delay is due either to rights issues or to profitability. If Prequel music is tied up with Sony or the picked-over corpse of Fox, that might explain why the prequel scores at least have been held back.

Nope, the music rights reverted from Sony to Disney back in 2017, so they now own all 9 scores in their entirety.

Expanded scores would require some hefty reuse fees to the LA musicians who performed on the sequel trilogy, but no fees apply for the London musicians from on the PT or OT (they had a different payment structure to the unionized LA musicians). And JW would receive his share of the profits, also.

20 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

So for the OT and PT there is no hold up other than Disney.

Essentially yes, or there's just been no appetite or directive from Williams or his team to make it happen. 

I suspect (and hope) that all parties wanted to wait until the saga was complete before tackling any of the scores, to ensure all 9 were handled consistently and comprehensively, lest we end up with another TPM UE type mess (with one score handled prematurely and the other two cancelled), or only a handful of the scores expanded with others left begging (like TROS, if such a set had happened a few years ago). 

On 6/3/2020 at 7:56 PM, crumbs said:

Very true, the musical storytelling in The Last Jedi was revelatory compared to the Abrams hatchet jobs. We're so lucky one of the sequels had a director who respected the power of Williams' music.

Over a minute of purely musical storytelling, with only two short lines of dialogue. Absolutely nails the tradition of truly great filmmaking: show, don't tell.

If only a single moment in the final film came close to the brilliance on display here, to give Williams the send-off he deserved.

The Force Awakens, despite having some meddling editors and sound mixing involved was still a marvel in the film.