Star Wars 1997 SE track titles

Pellaeon

Where did the track titles come from for the 1997 SEs? John Williams or someone else? Why are they so different from the OSTs, the 1993 Anthology, and the original cue titles?

18 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I always thought mattesino created them. But I have the erroneous belief that he made it all...he just wrote the liner notes there, right?

No, he also instructed the team that did the actual editing on how to construct each track, he just didn't do the editing himself like he does now.  The assembly came out how he wanted it - sound quality issues aside - he just follows a very different methodology nowadays than he did then (24 years ago!)

18 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

So...did JW come up with INNER CITY?

I would assume JW himself decides the titles of his original cue names, and probably usually the album tracks to, or at least approves an idea someone else comes up with.  But it's not like we'd ever know with 100% authority whose brain first said each cue and track title for every cue and track in his repertoire

25 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

So...did JW come up with INNER CITY?

In the case of INNER CITY, that was based on an original cue title (as were some of the other titles on the original LP).

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 5.15.16 PM.png

Of course, as we saw with the recent TROS cues, maintaining the original title is a somewhat rare case. I do love some of these spruce-up changes between cue name and soundtrack though. One from TFA comes to mind - 'That Lady With the Stick' became 'That Girl With the Staff' :) 

18 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

They're rather nerdy titles that specifically a fan of the movies would come up with, definitely not JW.

That’s what I thought. Many of the titles seem oddly in-universe, referencing specific tech, ship names, Mynock and Dianoga, etc.

Remember that the next time you go to reference “Binary Sunset” or “Burning Homestead”. :pfft: