Andre Previn Interviews John Williams (1988)

SteveMc

This is a classic interview. It was transferred to a digital format already in the 90s, as I have it on a CD-R from that time that also includes many other old Williams interviews and appearances. Of course, these days, most of this material is to be found on Youtube, including his "Personal Notes" interview, so really no need for those old discs anymore. It was fun back then because of the exclusivity ("I've got something that you don't"), but now this exclusivity is shrinking more and more.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

This is a classic interview. It was transferred to a digital format already in the 90s, as I have it on a CD-R from that time that also includes many other old Williams interviews and appearances. Of course, these days, most of this material is to be found on Youtube, including his "Personal Notes" interview, so really no need for those old discs anymore. It was fun back then because of the exclusivity ("I've got something that you don't"), but now this exclusivity is shrinking more and more.

Eh, still keep ‘em Thor! I’ve seen these sorts of things on YouTube for years and then one day they up and disappear. 

Thanks for showing this interview! I also love the fact that it's not some surface-level Hollywoodian/Red carpet/Gala type of interview with template answers, but one with questions that are actually challenging and require honest introspection. One learns much more that way!

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Important reference materials like that should not be hoarded and traded for favors anyway, but shared with the world as far and wide as possible.  To delight in hoarding knowledge as "exclusive"  and "fun" is contemptible.

That's rather over-dramatic, I think. Everyone loves to own rare and exclusive 'collector's items' that others don't, so it's a perfectly normal feeling. That being said, I do agree with you that it's nice to have this stuff out there for others to see.

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's rather over-dramatic, I think. Everyone loves to own rare and exclusive 'collector's items' that others don't, so it's a perfectly normal feeling. That being said, I do agree with you that it's nice to have this stuff out there for others to see.

There’s a Masterclass episode that I’d love to get my hands on that aired in 1998 (on ITV) featuring John Barry coaching a young film scoring student. I’m still surprised it hasn’t ended up on YouTube. The rights holder said it can never be aired again or uploaded online because the license was locked to one broadcast only. Apparently there’s one Barry fan who has it but they’re a bit of a recluse and have no interest in uploading it. Shame, really.  This stuff really does deserve to be out there. 

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/17283431.the-day-i-met-bond-composer-john-barry/

6 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

At what point does that "normal feeling" just cross a line into selfish, dickish gloating, though? That's where people take issue with it. Like is that feeling just so satisfactory that you just _can't_ let something as precious as a videotaped interview from the 80's between two musicians possibly trickle into the unworthy masses of fellow fans? Is that feeling the justification for hoarding that?

This interview in question isn't that important. I don't mind it being out there. But I'm talking more generally. People buy rare films and artwork and music and footage for their exclusivity, and that's perfectly fine -- even if it can be frustrating for others who then don't gain access (for example, it's very frustrating to me that Williams doesn't want his STORY OF A WOMAN score out there). Of course there are some things that "belong in a museum", to quote Indy, where it can be enjoyed by the public rather than some rich guy's house, but the feeling of having something that others don't, whether it's a piece of knowledge or a physical item, is a perfectly normal and undramatic sensation.

Back in the 90s and early 2000s, before the advent of Youtube, I loved having these tidbits that only I and a few others shared. That they're now out there, is fine. Then I can gloat about having had them for decades instead. :)

6 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

As far as symphonic pop / rock adaptations go, you've got admit this one is quite good!

I used to play in a brass orchestra and besides Prussian and German marches we did arrangements of ABBA songs. Compared to that, the Flashdance piece is neat, indeed. ;) 

9 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I've heard Williams gloats about having Story of a Woman to himself all the time at galas!

He, he. Someone should make a picture of Williams' head on Gollum's body, with the STORY manuscript in his hands, saying "My Precious!".