On 2/5/2020 at 11:06 AM, Blumenkohl said:

No. He’s enjoying retirement and needs an hour or two every week to give crap to clowns online. For entertainment. 

It’s either this or golf. And he hates golf. 

Please ignore the German bureaucrats and their epidemiologists. They are people without a zest for life. They gave the world the Beetle for gods sake. 

It is possible to control and slow this outbreak as evidenced in South Korea, Singapore, and China. 

https://www.flattenthecurve.com

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I don't notice anything either.

Time for me to chime in I guess.   1- I am not dead, as apparently some of you have theorised.   2- Things are....pretty dire over here. 546 dead according to the latest numbers, a

5 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Since I'm seeing with my own eyes what an epidemic of Covid-19 looks like, let me tell you what it looks like.

This is not a drill.

It may be not the end-of-the-world pandemic scenario imagined by some books and many Hollywood movies. But tt's a serious issue that put at risk the basic structure of our societies, their ability (or inability) to hold on together when facing a very complex threat and what these societies can or cannot do to protect one of the basic rights of the human being: health. One of the great conquest of the modern world is how medicine and good health services can help us live better lives, cure sickness, ease out pain in terminal situations, and find solutions to fight back new threats like this.

The only weapons we have at the moment are containment and mitigation. This is a new virus, we don't have antibodies for it and there is still no medical cure nor vaccine to stop it. Hence, we cannot avoid people getting infected. We cannot avoid some people dying from the complicancies of getting infected by the virus. But we can give the best cure and treatments to everyone IF the health system won't get overloaded in a very short amount of time with lots of people getting sick and needing hospitalization. Here in my region (Lombardy), the epidemic curve is surging dramatically each day and we're now very close to the point hospitals and medical workers will collapse. Many doctors and nurses are posting scary stories on their social media about the drama they're facing every day. They're working night and day to care for all the people needing hospitalization. But it's hard, becuase the pressure gets higher and higher every day and the volume of demand is becoming unsustainable.

If we don't tame it, or at least seriously try to do it, it will do serious damages to the lives of many people around the world. China showed that it could be done. Yes, they're the most authoritarian government of the world, they used methods of control over people that are scary for our western world, but citizens duly followed the strict quarantine rules, they found a common spirit and the situation is getting better now. Yes, the price they paid in economic terms is humongous. But it's the only way.

Fake news. I have it on good word from @Quintus this is nothing worse than the common flu. 

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

Why can't people die quietly in their homes without flooding hospitals? 

I mean you have a point. At least at home you can die surrounded by family who will soon join you. At the hospital you die alone in quarantine or surrounded by ghostly masked figures. 

25 minutes ago, publicist said:

Why can't people die quietly in their homes without flooding hospitals? 

Because the Covid-19 causes respiratory deficiency and lots of people need automated ventilation to help breathe. You don’t want to send a person home dying basically suffocating. That’s the concept I was talking about above—this is about the dignity of taking care of people’s health.

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I have a health condition that doctors are currently testing, that may or may not make me more susceptible to any dangerous effects that coronavirus could have. Living in Seattle, I'm a little nervous.

Goodbye Nick. You  can have peace knowing you won’t miss any new JW works. The virus has high lethality for his age group too. 

2 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Goodbye Nick. You  can have peace knowing you won’t miss any new JW works. The virus has high lethality for his age group too. 

The intellectual heavyweights here can go to sleep soundly, knowing that my death was less likely than that of the common flu. That gives me comfort.

I can't believe this haven't been brought up yet, but: guys, I'm worried about John Williams.

They say the virus is lethal for elderly people, so I really hope JW won't catch it. And neither composer that is above 60, which means about 80% of the famous ones working in Hollywood.

And, Jesus Christ, has anyone heard about Ennio Morriconne? I'm not kidding, he's italian, in amidst the European crisis.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

All the composers above 60 are okay, they are currently in a bunker somewehere in Canada. We are taking care of them.

Tell them I said hello. And don't let HZ and JW fighting each other. I've heard Zimmer called Williams an "old scumbag" behind his back.

35 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

And, Jesus Christ, has anyone heard about Ennio Morriconne? I'm not kidding, he's italian, in amidst the European crisis.

Better ask how many viruses that will catch the Morricone.

35 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

They say the virus is lethal for elderly people, so I really hope JW won't catch it. And neither composer that is above 60, which means about 80% of the famous ones working in Hollywood.

I'm OK with HanZ.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Oops we forgot HZ, sorry.

There's no bunker for sound designers.

Working for a medical/science hub i can say that you all at least can be sure that never before so many scientists with so much information at their disposal work on virus decryption and blocking procedures, as well as relentless testing of common HIV et al. drugs some of which seem to work rather well, so you couldn't have chosen a better time to be amidst a worldwide pandemic. 

Except for the future, that is.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Jeez, you kinda ruin this thread with your austere phrasing.

He has really quite got into it hasn't he, surrounded as he no doubt is by his convenient home comforts, pantry supplies, stocks of material necessities and high speed fibre optic broadband. There's possibly even a touch of luxury about his immediate predicament.

Look, these are undeniably unprecedented times for Italy, and it's a serious situation indeed. Yet I can't help but find slightly vulgar the pre apocalyptic tone of Townerfan's quasi-desperate journal updates, as he's kept indoors with his ambient central heating keeping the night's mild chill at bay.

Contrast his situation for example to those who had their homes burnt to a cinder in the Australian bush fires, or even more recently to the flooded regions of the UK, where folk had everything they own submerged into pulp; despairingly put up in relatives' houses and sports centres, without two pennies to rub together and not knowing what they're going to do next, worried about the care of their immediate family and offspring.

What happens when these legitimately poor saps in genuine dire need are ordered to self isolate? How will a nationwide quarantine treat them? Maybe they'll have enough charge left on their phone's battery to post a Facebook update about it, if they're lucky. Maybe they'll find the time or signal to update their forum mates about coronovirus from their own displaced and ruined communities, too.

51 minutes ago, publicist said:

Working for a medical/science hub i can say that you all at least can be sure that never before so many scientists with so much information at their disposal work on virus decryption and blocking procedures, as well as relentless testing of common HIV et al. drugs some of which seem to work rather well, so you couldn't have chosen a better time to be amidst a worldwide pandemic. 

Except for the future, that is.

that’s exactly why I think we can win this battle. I hope that this will reinstate the centrality of science in our society.

As I think I've mentioned in the past on here, the mother of my children works in infection control at a hospital trust on Merseyside in the northwest of England. She told me they had one case of coronovirus there last week, a young girl. It barely touched the young lady thankfully and she has since been discharged and her family are currently self isolating. I spoke to her again about corona today. She's not really concerned about it, but she said that the strain being placed on the hospital at the moment is making for really tiring work levels, yet they are managing for now.

Yes, more than anything, I think I'd just find such an event really... bizarre.

I'm not worried about my catching this disease though. Obviously others have reason to be concerned about it, and I totally understand why some demographics in society will be genuinely worried for their health - flu is a big killer, after all.

When I do inevitably come into contact with coronovirus, I'll self isolate and continue to talk shit about movies and music on here. Life won't be that different. It's only a few weeks.

28 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yes, more than anything, I think I'd just find such an event really... bizarre.

I'm not worried about my catching this disease though. Obviously others have reason to be concerned about it, and I totally understand why some demographics in society will be genuinely worried for their health - flu is a big killer, after all.

When I do inevitably come into contact with coronovirus, I'll self isolate and continue to talk shit about movies and music on here. Life won't be that different. It's only a few weeks.

Quoting so I have a permanent record of the last line on the off chance we are living like Mad Max in 2021. 

People since the beginning of time have been governed by two instruments, fear and ignorance. And this is an extreme example for both. 

Nobody even bothers to explain anything. All you need to know is that you should be afraid. 

It's interesting that people get so triggered when you try to explain that it might actually not be so bad, like you offend them. Like they don't want to miss the hype. 

I mean, I'm medically trained, my family has a patient database of 200.000 people, but "NO you're stupid I read journalists, I'm smart!" 

If you want some advice for immune system virus protection, feel free to PM. I'm not feeding fear trolls. 

"FOMO" is the new "in the wake off". Every fucker is suddenly saying it, offloading their fear of personal responsibility onto the latest hip new digital condition which some great distinguished snowflake coined when they took a depressed shower that one time in 2019. It's the next evolution in special snowflakery.