• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I don't notice anything either.

Time for me to chime in I guess.   1- I am not dead, as apparently some of you have theorised.   2- Things are....pretty dire over here. 546 dead according to the latest numbers, a

For everyone looking for something to watch:

Universal Making ‘Invisible Man’, ‘The Hunt’ & ‘Emma’ Available In Home On Friday As Exhibition Braces For Shutdown; ‘Trolls’ Sequel To Hit Cinemas & VOD Easter Weekend

https://deadline.com/2020/03/coronavirus-trolls-world-tour-invisible-man-the-hunt-emma-debut-on-demand-in-home-theatrical-window-collapse-1202884570/

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's pretty cool

For the exhibitors, it isn't, unfortunately. :( 

For now, this seems to be an exceptional situation, designed to Universal won't lose that much money with theatrical release. But I hope the movie studios continue incentivating the habit of going to the movies, instead of just streaming everything, when this crisis ends.

Our National Director of Public Health in Québec is doing great!

unknown.png

It is not because the situation is critical that we cannot laugh a little. Smile in the corner, Dr. Arruda recommended to adolescents in need of social life with the closure of schools to avoid close physical contact.

"It may be time to postpone our trade in organic products to another time," he said. Prime Minister François Legault, by his side, smiled to the fullest.

hehe

36 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Our National Director of Public Health in Québec is doing great!

unknown.png

It is not because the situation is critical that we cannot laugh a little. Smile in the corner, Dr. Arruda recommended to adolescents in need of social life with the closure of schools to avoid close physical contact.

"It may be time to postpone our trade in organic products to another time," he said. Prime Minister François Legault, by his side, smiled to the fullest.

hehe

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania: ian malcolm life finds a way gif

44 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

At 5pm, the UK - effectively - came under martial law.

It’s ok though. The schools are still open for the kids to spread it like wildfire. 

BoJo is probably just hoping to reduce the number of people getting the old age pension. 

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. The UK was conned by a bunch of psycholosers peddling NudgeTM-brand nonsense (in the video game industry, these Nudge losers were trying to sell us into using their cons and tricks on our customers there too) and thankfully Boris and government wisened up, in the last few days, to how unworkable a plan concocted by conmen would be. 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/coronavirus-uk-strategy-deaths

But the approach was found to be unworkable. "Our most significant conclusion is that mitigation is unlikely to be feasible without emergency surge capacity limits of the UK and US healthcare systems being exceeded many times over," perhaps by as much as eight times, the report said.

In this scenario, the Imperial College team predicted as many as 250,000 deaths in Britain.

"In the UK, this conclusion has only been reached in the last few days," the report explained, due to new data on likely intensive care unit demand based on the experience of Italy and Britain so far.

"We were expecting herd immunity to build. We now realise it’s not possible to cope with that," professor Azra Ghani, chair of infectious diseases epidemiology at Imperial, told journalists at a briefing on Monday night”

On 3/13/2020 at 3:13 PM, Blumenkohl said:

This hare-brained nudge is built on so many fantastical assumptions that I imagine that the moment some real scientists get their hands on it, it will be withdrawn or rebranded by the Nudge PhDs. 

It’s interesting that the Nudge PhD’s have not released any of the data or modeling they used to come up with their herd immunity crap. They know it won’t stand up to the scrutiny of world-class epidemiologists. 

As “prophesied” the moment real scientists got their hands on this, the plan was debunked. 

On 3/13/2020 at 2:24 PM, Quintus said:

The "herd immunity" strategy which the UK government have employed is thankfully also getting a ton of strong support. That's because some believe it is the best way of protecting the aged and delaying the pressure on the NHS and I believe it'll be effective. Get most of your healthy population infected before the weaker in society really need the intensive care resources. Beds available for the aged and the rest of the recovering population getting back to a sort of normality later on, a degree of immunity in their back pockets. Try to keep the economy moving instead of shutting it down all at once. Hopefully we get it right (although I know Blume and Eurocrats will probably be willing us to fail, just for the smug value or something). Politics and posturing are never far away from these crises are they.

LOL. 

2 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania: ian malcolm life finds a way gif

Oh December birthdates are gonna go through the roof.

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

24 hour lockdown for "non-essential" workers for the next 3 weeks in San Francisco.

In the interest of providing clarity, people are allowed to go to the doctor and get groceries.

40 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

As “prophesied” the moment real scientists got their hands on this, the plan was debunked. 

More than anything I'm just happy this was caught before implementation attempts. Shame that this stuff got widespread though. A major source of panic and anxiety throughout all this for a lot of people is the sense that the winds are changing directions every day, if not every hour.

In a plot straight out of Jaws, the Austrian federal state of Tyrol, Austrian's current Corona hotspot where the virus first started to spread in the country, refused to close skiing resorts until this weekend, even though Iceland's health authorities already issued a warning and classified it as at risk ten days ago. Ultimately, two towns are under quarantine right now (several others with similar indicators are not), and tourists were allowed to leave and told to make straight to their home countries and put themselves under voluntary quarantine. But many had to wait for their flights the next day, and hundreds took hotels in Tyrol's capital, further spreading the disease. Several hundred Corona cases in Denmark, Sweden, and Germany can be traced back to the now quarantined skiing resorts. Authorities insist on having done everything correctly and blame the "foreign media" and the personal responsibilities of the tourists.

1 hour ago, Blumenkohl said:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. 

I honestly think you've gone loco over this thread, treating it like some sort of bizarre personal vendetta, constantly blowing hot and cold page after page. Over any other topic I'd probably be flattered that you're so intent on being forum buddies, but the maniacally tinged points scoring you've been rabidly pursuing against me over this particular subject is a bit erm, weird, and well, just awfully trashy. The number of deaths recorded to this disease might well be comparatively low, but deaths are sadly occuring nevertheless. So when I see you posting a response like the one I quoted, I see it as a measure of how low level maniacal you have become in relation to me and this event. I feel like you're utterly obsessed, with me.

But it isn't a contest, Blume. I think you need to calm down a bit. 

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

For everyone looking for something to watch:

Universal Making ‘Invisible Man’, ‘The Hunt’ & ‘Emma’ Available In Home On Friday As Exhibition Braces For Shutdown; ‘Trolls’ Sequel To Hit Cinemas & VOD Easter Weekend

https://deadline.com/2020/03/coronavirus-trolls-world-tour-invisible-man-the-hunt-emma-debut-on-demand-in-home-theatrical-window-collapse-1202884570/

See, this is what more films should be doing. No one knows the numbers quite yet but I imagine there’s a huge market just waiting at home and self-quarantining.

And Disney should make the iso score for TROS available to purchase… they’d get more money than normal from that… just a thought

Anyone else ever watch the 1988 TV series of War of the Worlds? The second season was widely dismissed as shitty, which largely it is compared to the more intriging and engaging first season, but it might be worth a second look because of how it depicts a post-apocalyptic dystopian world where economies have collapsed, governments have crumbled and society has descended into lawlessness. I mean, for corny 80s sci-fi tele, it's appropriately prophetic.

Almost certainly the chain of the virus went from petri dish, to lab animal, to unscrupulous employee, to meat market, to patient zero, with local authorities then trying to cover up the emergence of the virus because of this, with the Dr. who seems to have put together info on the virus in its initial stages conveniently dying.  

3 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

24 hour lockdown for "non-essential" workers for the next 3 weeks in San Francisco.

Not just SF, but all seven counties of the Bay Area (including mine). This three-week "shelter-in-place" directive is going to be a rough ride economically. : (

I was at two supermarkets this afternoon... all afternoon -- the checkout lines were longer than I'd ever seen them in my life. Over an hour's wait to get through. No water, milk, eggs, bread, bathroom tissue, paper towel, canned soup, pasta, pasta sauce, frozen pizza... but also no price gouging, all sales and offers were applicable as usual, and everyone was civil and friendly and patient.

Well, Cineplex, our national cinema chain has officially closed. For as long as I remember, they've stayed open through every crisis, so this is sort of a sign of how bad things have gotten...

Restaurants and bars have also officially been asked to close. Thought we would last the week at least before complete shutdown.

4 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Almost certainly the chain of the virus went from petri dish, to lab animal, to unscrupulous employee, to meat market, to patient zero, with local authorities then trying to cover up the emergence of the virus because of this, with the Dr. who seems to have put together info on the virus in its initial stages conveniently dying.  

"There’s absolutely nothing in the genome sequence of this virus that indicates the virus was engineered,“ Richard Ebright, a professor of chemical biology at Rutgers University, told The Washington Post Sunday. "The possibility this was a deliberately released bioweapon can be firmly excluded.“

We've shut down borders to non-citizens, closed cinemas, and everything including restaurants and shops but excluding pharmacies and groceries can only stay open until 3 PM, which sounds stupid because the shoppers will be more congested instead of spread out, more chance for transmission.

Infection's going well, 30-32-39-50 in the past 4 days.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

@Quintus Hey at least you were right about this. 

It's still too early to say whether or not the mitigation phase was of any impact before the shift to the suppression strategy was enacted (I assumed this would be kicking in anyway tbh), and only time will tell. 

However, the suppression approach comes with major problems.

It effectively requires shutting down parts of society and there is no exit strategy.

As fewer people would be infected there would be little immunity in the population and cases would soar soon after measures were lifted again.

This is the conundrum China now faces. Research suggests 95% of people in Wuhan were still susceptible to the virus at the end of January.

The report suggests we may have to wait 18 months for a vaccine, but even that is not guaranteed.

We could be in this for the very long term.

It is worth stressing this is all based on mathematical models. They make assumptions, they are not perfect and what they find is not written in stone. This virus emerged only in December and we're still trying to fully understand it. The scale and role of asymptomatic infections or the summer weather in the pandemic are still unknown.

But Dr Adam Kucharski, another disease modeller who was not part of the Imperial study, told me: "There's no simple solution to this, it is probably toughest epidemic I've ever had to analyse.

"There is no way of it playing out without some serious downsides."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51915302

For international eyes watching the UK as usual, the new measures are advice level only for the time being. It's hardly "martial law"; people are able to movie around freely but are being asked to stay away from pubs, restaurants and other social gatherings. These establishments aren't being forced to close their doors or anything like that, but I think the guidance will be largely effective in making most people change their social habits anyway. But the point is we are not in lock down as of yet, as I have seen some of the foreign tabloids claim. We were due to go to a 40th birthday party this Saturday, and I am being told it is still on. I'll have to make up my mind about whether or not to go, but it is my brother's girlfriend so really it'd just be easier if they cancelled it on behalf of everyone else.

Meanwhile, I know there'll be plenty in the UK who will carry on as reasonably normal under these current conditions. I'm still expecting to catch this virus eventually, so trying to avoid it altogether seems futile. My belief is the disease can be managed on an individual basis and that self enforced lock down upon exhibiting symptoms is the smartest and most balanced way of easing the pressure on the NHS.

Of course we might wonder why flights from i. e. Iran still are allowed to enter the country without any checks, or, for that matter, general testing routines are not expanded to healthcare practitioners and supermarket cashiers (the so-called 'super spreaders'). It's hard to fathom that physicians and assistants working in dental or respiratory fields are not better protected, as they work with aerosols a lot. General practitioners just have to deal with coughing and sweating people all day and when a doctor's office is quarantined, people have no place to go. It's not just about hospital beds.