• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I don't notice anything either.

Time for me to chime in I guess.   1- I am not dead, as apparently some of you have theorised.   2- Things are....pretty dire over here. 546 dead according to the latest numbers, a

Ontario has officially declared a state of emergency...whatever that means, at this point.

I still have to go into work every day. The morning rush hour train was a grim sight:

DCZoh9J.jpg

Keep in mind, on a good day, you'll find the aisles flooded with people standing, unable to get a seat.

Ontario, at last?

They are late to the party compared to us in Québec.

That's 3 days after us.

And you have many more cases than us.

Try to understand what's inside the head of an Ontarian...

:P

Local AUDI factory suspends production. A significant amount of the city and area works either there or in many many smaller firms and services which are built on AUDI being here.

26 minutes ago, KK said:

Ontario has officially declared a state of emergency...whatever that means, at this point.

I still have to go into work every day. The morning rush hour train was a grim sight:

DCZoh9J.jpg

Keep in mind, on a good day, you'll find the aisles flooded with people standing, unable to get a seat.

That’s the cleanest looking pubic transport I’ve ever seen.

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

I honestly think you've gone loco over this thread, treating it like some sort of bizarre personal vendetta, constantly blowing hot and cold page after page. Over any other topic I'd probably be flattered that you're so intent on being forum buddies, but the maniacally tinged points scoring you've been rabidly pursuing against me over this particular subject is a bit erm, weird, and well, just awfully trashy. The number of deaths recorded to this disease might well be comparatively low, but deaths are sadly occuring nevertheless. So when I see you posting a response like the one I quoted, I see it as a measure of how low level maniacal you have become in relation to me and this event. I feel like you're utterly obsessed, with me.

But it isn't a contest, Blume. I think you need to calm down a bit. 

I’m giving you crap in particular because I expected much better from you. During this pandemic you’ve exchanged your typical Quintus common sense, independent thought, and wisdom for textbook theory, naive statistic games, and appealing to the authority of pseudo-experts.

Turning into a Professor Quintus has not served you well so far on this topic.

I will say that I have some artist friends in London who are upset with UK's hesitancy in their containment strategy. By avoiding an outright ban or any strong measures other than lukewarm "recommendations", a lot of company owners can't claim insurance are suffering major losses.

33 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

That’s the cleanest looking pubic transport I’ve ever seen.

Our trains are pretty good that way. Our subway cars, not as much. 

8 hours ago, publicist said:

I didn't say the virus was specifically engineered.  It's quite possible a run of the mill virus that was being researched in the lab, allowed to pass from animal to animal, to mutate, and then leaked from the lab.  It's not really a stretch to believe.  We do know an employee of the Wuhan lab was arrested for selling lab animals on the market.   

A little message of public interest.

Before you pick up the phone to make requests to someone who is working, for whatever reason, ask yourself if this request can wait, if yes we wait a bit in this more difficult time, in order for those who answer you to deal with those that are really urgent. Thank you in advance!

26 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

I’m giving you crap in particular because I expected much better from you. During this pandemic you’ve exchanged your typical Quintus common sense, independent thought, and wisdom for textbook theory, naive statistic games, and appealing to the authority of pseudo-experts.

Turning into a Professor Quintus has not served you well so far on this topic.

Why don't you just get a life instead tho? Your hyper obsession with me is bizarre, bore off.

ew6yRBu.jpg

16 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

I didn't say the virus was specifically engineered.  It's quite possible a run of the mill virus that was being researched in the lab, allowed to pass from animal to animal, to mutate, and then leaked from the lab.  It's not really a stretch to believe.  We do know an employee of the Wuhan lab was arrested for selling lab animals on the market.   

Then it has no real significance, there are millions of mutations of corona and other viruses every year, if nothing in its genome points to engineering there's just no story there.

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

Then it has no real significance, there are millions of mutations of corona and other viruses every year, if nothing in its genome points to engineering there's just no story there.

It has major significance.  For one thing, to contradict myself a little bit, the researchers could have selectively bred the virus, if that is possible, ensuring the most severe strain spread from animal to animal.  For another thing, it means that the virus's release was man-made in origin, through criminal incompetence, which may open the door for China to be held financially liable.  

22 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

That's not the concept of herd immunity, is it?

The concept of herd immunity is that once enough people are immune, the rest won't get it either and it'll die off eventually.

https://www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/can-you-get-coronavirus-twice-and-if-you-are-immune-after-recovering-covid-19-2457100

“For the most part, the feeling is once you’ve had a specific coronavirus, you are immune. We don’t have enough data to say that with this coronavirus, but it is likely.”

If this proves to be the case, people who initially recovered from the virus are more likely to relapse, rather than get reinfected.

However, that doesn’t mean it is not possible to contract the virus again, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) explains, “The immune response to Covid-19 is not yet understood.

Banking on immunity before conclusively knowing if it's even really possible and risk-free sounds stupid.

23 minutes ago, publicist said:

I don’t believe this virus was engineered. However any judgement on this is going to be probabilistic. I.e. hmmm there are sequences that would be unlikely to evolve on their own. Or on the flip side, the genome is filled with sequences that are likely to have evolved on their own. 

It is likely that we will never know for sure. It also doesn’t matter. We need to contain it. 

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

I for one find the lowered density of human presence in the public space refreshing.

Lowered is okay. Empty is spooky. Like empty office buildings at night.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

That's what a lot of folk haven't understood, particularly in this thread, although to be fair the UK government's wording was unfortunate at the time that "herd immunity" was cited as one part of the strategy. See, the widely adopted and now standard MMR vaccine is literally based on herd immunity science. So raging loons like Blume who shout down alternative measures implemented in countries other than their own are pretty much tantamount to anti vaxxers (although I wouldn't be surprised if that's literally their stance on that matter normally).

The managed communal transmission approach is still in effect here btw. Anything to stagger the admissions into our health services. We could have locked down immediately like other countries have, but China, who did and with seemingly good success, has no exit strategy in place. Nobody does yet. There are still 1 billion in the Chinese population who are yet to contract this disease. What will happen when China eventually ease off with their lockdown measures and the virus comes roaring back again? It doesn't bear thinking out.

So something else has to be at least given a try, alongside other measures.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Herd immunity is based on individual immunity. You get vaccinated or you get the disease and your immune system retains a record that can be used to recognize and eliminate the threat if it shows up again. If enough people have an immune memory of the pathogen, you get herd immunity.

It works on many but not all pathogens. 

Certain diseases have individual immunity that may last only weeks or months. That is your body’s ability to store and maintain a memory of the pathogen is time-limited. That means you cannot achieve herd immunity.

This is also why you have to re-up vaccines and get boosters, because your body has varied levels of memory with various viruses and bacteria. Herd-immunity works well when individual people are able to build up long-term recognition of a particular pathogen or an ongoing ability to re-boost lost immunity via vaccines.

It is a hideously irresponsible strategy when you have no clue what kind of immune response you are dealing with and no vaccine to maintain ongoing immunity.

President Trump and that guy with the glasses and the awkward necktie knot just acknowledged for the first time I've ever heard from a senior government official the need for a UBI. Without actually using the term, but the concept was quite clear.

2 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

President Trump and that guy with the glasses and the awkward necktie knot just acknowledged for the first time I've ever heard from a senior government official the need for a UBI. Without actually using the term, but the concept was quite clear.

Yes, this all might set an interesting precedent.  

18 hours ago, Quintus said:

Tin foil hat time Richard?

No. Tin foil is used for two things: 1/ to counteract the signals broadcast, by aliens, prior to an invasion, and 2/ to wrap-up my cheese and ham sandwiches, for my lunch, at work.

Since aliens do not exist, there's little chance of them invading, thus negating the use for tin foil hats.

What this and other governments are doing is systematically taking away our fundamental rights and freedoms, while, at the same time, stripping down society to its most basic, utilitarian level.

It won't stop, until we are all living in 1984.

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Exactly! It means whatever the fucking government wants it to mean, and it means that, to combat it, the fucking government can do anything it fucking wants to do!

That's what it means.

You're going proper Mel Gibson over this aren't you. Yikes!

11 minutes ago, Quintus said:

You're going proper Mel Gibson over this aren't you. Yikes!

Mel who?

Ok, Lee, I'll dial it down a bit, but doesn't the systematic loss of basic human rights annoy, and scare, anybody else?

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Who's coming with me to the OMD concert?

Wha'?! 1984? CRUSH? Nah! I'd rather see them touring DAZZLE SHIPS.

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Whoa, they've invented time travel?  And they're taking all of us with them back to 1984?!

I meant that they won't stop until we are all living under the same conditions, as in the novel 1984.

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ok, Lee, I'll dial it down a bit, but doesn't the systematic loss of basic human rights annoy, and scare, anybody else?

Surely you are free to do whatever you want in the wilderness of Scotland? BTW, is it okay that I call you Shirley?

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The disproportionate state response to the contagion and the accelerated attacks on civil liberties has always been scarier to me than the virus itself.

24 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Surely you are free to do whatever you want in the wilderness of Scotland? BTW, is it okay that I call you Shirley?

Contrary to popular belief, I do not go around all day, running through the heather, in my kilt, while scoffing haggis and Irn-Bru!

Why would you want to call me Shirley?

19 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Isn't Richard in The Highlands? Maybe self isolation will make Mel Gibson's of us all :lol:

Yes I do live in The Highlands, and the area where I live is one of a very small number of UK areas to be virus free, I'm happy to say.

For the record, where I live, all museums, places of interest, leisure centres, and libraries, will close at 5pm today, for an indefinite time. We may be immune to the virus, but we're not, so it seems, immune to stupidity.

While we're on the subject; since when did we all start saying "self-isolate"? To isolate means to cut oneself off from others. The "self" is pure hyperbole. 

2 hours ago, SteveMc said:

It has major significance.  For one thing, to contradict myself a little bit, the researchers could have selectively bred the virus, if that is possible, ensuring the most severe strain spread from animal to animal.  For another thing, it means that the virus's release was man-made in origin, through criminal incompetence, which may open the door for China to be held financially liable.  

It's bs, sorry.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

For the record, where I live, all museums, places of interest, leisure centres, and libraries, will close at 5pm today, for an indefinite time.

If you'd stayed in England, you would have more freedom. Boris doesn't want harsh restrictions and lockdowns because he believes it's better for people to get infected so that people over time will get immune to the virus. Holland seems to like this idea as well.

16 hours ago, KK said:

Delivery and takeout is still happening I believe. But eventually that too, will go.

Not unless things get much worse still and they absolutely can't get it under control, I imagine. Some people more or less depend on food delivery now, and shutting that down would probably make things even worse for them.

11 hours ago, Holko said:

We've shut down borders to non-citizens, closed cinemas, and everything including restaurants and shops but excluding pharmacies and groceries can only stay open until 3 PM, which sounds stupid because the shoppers will be more congested instead of spread out, more chance for transmission.

They considered that here as well. The idea was to limit the number of staff needed in shops by reducing the opening hours to a single shift. So it's not an entirely stupid idea. Whether it works out, everything else considered is a different matter; they didn't implement it here in the end (so far at least).

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

How mature of you, wanting an autistic child with a bipolar disorder to die in the most horrific way.

Emphasised for relevance. What's more, they want the child to die because she sticks to facts and wants to live in a habitable world when she gets older.

4 hours ago, SteveMc said:

It's also not a stretch to believe that you're simply spreading conspiracy theories for the heck of it, without a basis in facts or reasonably founded suspicions.

Lol I'm well aware Bilbo's xenophobic sentiment towards the British runs deep (he's been pretty open about it these last few years), but come on that website was trashy AF! Brekkie TV GP and famed adulterer Doctor Hillary made a gaff (he's made a few over the years) and the extremist contingent in the Irish republic are all over him like a bunch of faux outraged leprechauns lol

13 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's also not a stretch to believe that you're simply spreading conspiracy theories for the heck of it, without a basis in facts or reasonably founded suspicions.

Sigh.  I'm not that type.  

20 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Lol I'm well aware Bilbo's xenophobic sentiment towards the British runs deep (he's been pretty open about it these last few years), but come on that website was trashy AF! Brekkie TV GP and famed adulterer Doctor Hillary made a gaff (he's made a few over the years) and the extremist contingent in the Irish republic are all over him like a bunch of faux outraged leprechauns lol

calls someone xenophobic and then proceeds to call an entire nation leprechauns. 

you really are thick as pig shit. 

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Awww you guys! :blush2:

Poor Quint just thinks they still leave in the glory days of the Empire when they could rule the peasants without question. Now with Brexit and their laughable response to Coronavirus they’re stock is falling. They’re just a laughing stock at the moment. It’s between them and Trumpsville. 

And then Quint tries to play the racist card. A white Brit tries to play the racist card 🙄

He’s just the type of lad that would tell you the sky was purple just to have an argument. 

Back on ignore he goes. 

Hey Bilbo you'll forgive me if I struggle to distinguish the real threats from the empty ones. There's been a lot of that going around lately, you'll understand. I'd love to have you actually not respond to me though, that'd be lovely thanks. But I know you've got weak ass will power too, so I'll not get my hopes up too much.

See - you're not supposed to be reading this. Stop it!