• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I don't notice anything either.

Time for me to chime in I guess.   1- I am not dead, as apparently some of you have theorised.   2- Things are....pretty dire over here. 546 dead according to the latest numbers, a

2 hours ago, KK said:

Oh come on! China has everything to gain in how they use their momentum at this moment. Over next month, they will be working profusely to market the success of their radical measures, and the ultimate "effectiveness" of an authoritarian Communist regime. And they'll be watching America and the West carefully to exploit any failure in our handling of the crisis.

Exactly. See Chernobyl for details. 

I guess the whole country is celebrating to fool the world. And, of course, hospital staff are send home only to go back to the hospital as soon as the cameras are gone. 

Just now, Bilbo said:

Exactly. See Chernobyl for details. 

Not the same. China wanted to hide things at first but with the whole world now being in the same situation as China it becomes rather pointless to lie about the evolution of the virus. Not only is it a lie that not only wouldn't last very long, it wouldn't benefit China either. They simply can't afford it anymore. 

No doubt China has gotten through the worst of it (if we presume this ends with a single wave) and they have cause for celebration. And I'm not necessarily claiming they're reporting false numbers either. But you would be naïve to think they're not going to use all their resources to supress any negative press at this stage. As the risk subsides, it's now all about image control and rebranding. China needs a win, and they will make the most of any first chance they get. "Honesty", however you define it, is hardly a priority.

Allow me to get my brain train rollin' for a little bit. Today, two Senators are being accused of insider trading, having sold stock after a private meeting that briefed the potential economic fallout of the coronavirus. The day one of these Senators did this, Eric Trump put out a tweet encouraging people to buy stock and into 401K, even saying "I would be all in right now"....

Am I getting any of this wrong?

27 minutes ago, publicist said:

What did you expect? i trade biotech stock daily because a lot of them go through the roof right now, which doubly offsets the losses you have with others so why should rich people act differently?

'Cause a lot of rich people aren't privy to exclusive government briefings that show where the wind could likely blow, over a month before alarms go off in the country, sell their stock a couple weeks later, then criticize the other political party for being deceitful in their claims of danger, while the nation's leader is still severely downplaying the virus.

That meeting happened in late January, and they sold their stock in early February. Trump didn't even acknowledge this was a threat until this month. I'm sure you see the issue. 

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

'Cause a lot of rich people aren't privy to exclusive government briefings that show where the wind could likely blow, over a month before alarms go off in the country, sell their stock a couple weeks later, then criticize the other political party for being deceitful in their claims of danger, while the nation's leader is still severely downplaying the virus.

That meeting happened in late January, and they sold their stock in early February. Trump didn't even acknowledge this was a threat until this month. I'm sure you see the issue. 

No.

The problem with with this is that you do that old mistake of applying the 'Cui bono' principle and assume that every beneficiary is automatically tangled in some kind of conspiracy. I'm rather certain that every guy with some brains could have guessed the outcome even in late January, which is exactly two weeks after even i read he first dire warnings that the big stock market upswing is going to crash. Am i privy to secret US government information, then?

34 minutes ago, publicist said:

No.

The problem with with this is that you do that old mistake of applying the 'Cui bono' principle and assume that every beneficiary is automatically tangled in some kind of conspiracy. I'm rather certain that every guy with some brains could have guessed the outcome even in late January, which is exactly two weeks after even i read he first dire warnings that the big stock market upswing is going to crash. Am i privy to secret US government information, then?

So when they privately do something for themselves, but essentially tell the public to do the opposite for weeks afterwards, what does that mean to you?

Nick, when you present me a case like US government insiders knew about a growing virus crisis that China tries to hush hush and secretly sell all their airline et al. stock and also tell their rich friends, i would be with you. Wouldn't work of course, because everyone could see it.

What you have here is a side effect, at best, and please, someone who acts on tweets of the idiot Trump family doesn't deserve any better. 

18 minutes ago, publicist said:

Nick, when you present me a case like US government insiders knew about a growing virus crisis that China tries to hush hush and secretly sell all their airline et al. stock and also tell their rich friends, i would be with you. Wouldn't work of course, because everyone could see it.

What you have here is a side effect, at best, and please, someone who acts on tweets of the idiot Trump family doesn't deserve any better. 

I'm not concerned about the origin of the virus, certainly not at this point, but at the very least, couldn't you see it being cause for alarm that these government officials sell their private stock upon attending this classified briefing, then for weeks afterwards tell their constituents and the public at large that the virus was not a threat, that it will die down, explicitly claiming that government officials on the other side was spreading disinformation? 

Schools closing here today with the caveat that they'll be kept open as daycare education centres for critical workers. A skeleton staff managing a small handful of kids in each school, where needed. The children in our household all qualify, but we're keeping them home for the time being anyway - in no small part because they'd be gutted about having to go in when all the other kids get to be off! We're fortunate that we have this option though (to keep them home), because many parents (doctors, nurses, social workers) will have no choice but to send their kids in.

So...Liz 2 has spoken of the UK "coming together, as one". Really, now. As a elderly woman, who lives in a palace, in central London, I'm not sure she has any notion of "coming together". What is she going to do? Is she going to open-up Buck House as a makeshift hospital? Is she going to volunteer at the soup kitchen, down the Charring Cross Road? Is she, fuck. I wouldn't be surprised if she's already pissed off, up to Balmoral.

The hypocrisy stinks, worse than my morning ablution.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Pandemic Milestone: First person I know personally to test positive COVID-19.

My cousin who's a Physician's Assistant has it.  All the healthcare workers that are gonna get infected and taken out of commission....this is gonna get ugly.

this is what’s happening here too. A lot of people testing positive are health care workers. That’s the idea behind social distancing and staying at home, it’s to slow down the spread and give the hospitals a chance to keep up with it.