• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I don't notice anything either.

Time for me to chime in I guess.   1- I am not dead, as apparently some of you have theorised.   2- Things are....pretty dire over here. 546 dead according to the latest numbers, a

This may very well be the beginning of the end... 

Not necessarily because of the virus itself, but because of the worldwide economic collapse. It'll be so catastrophic, the economic fallout alone will likely kill millions and millions and plunge a large portion of the world population into poverty.... 

Not surprisingly, governments weigh all options and - cynical as it sounds - an economic catastrophe with a fallout for decades (and certainly also a rising mortality rate) vs. a short-term humanitarian catastrophe (a small percentage of the population, mostly weak and old citizens, could or will die because their treatment is not manageable) is a point of the debate.

In Italy you see the triages in effect already (the 80-year old is taken off the ventilator when a 40-year old rolls in) and these questions will continue to haunt us for the next 4 weeks, as I understand it, before the numbers either drop or continue to rise.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Not surprisingly, governments weigh all options and - cynical as it sounds - an economic catastrophe with a fallout for decades (and certainly also a rising mortality rate) vs. a short-term humanitarian catastrophe (a small percentage of the population, mostly weak and old citizens, could or will die because their treatment is not manageable) is a point of the debate.

In Italy you see the triages in effect already (the 80-year old is taken off the ventilator when a 40-year old rolls in) and these questions will continue to haunt us for the next 4 weeks, as I understand it, before the numbers either drop or continue to rise.

Young master Baggins is of the naive Reddit generation, always waiting ready to be outraged. Not to mention that vast amounts of the predicted dead would have died anyway this year - the historical annual stats certainly don't lie in this regard. Corona deaths will overlap with regular seasonal cullings of the elderly. It's upsetting, but there's nothing the Reddit gen can do about it.

That fantastic Mediterranean diet, rich in olive oil, came back to bite Italy's famously large aged population on the arse.

And a catastrophic lack of stable government for decades. 

A scientifically sound recap of the situation in China form chinese scientists makes a case for the following reassuring observation (bold is mine):

A  main  finding  of  this  characterization  and exploratory  analysis  of  the  first  72,314  cases  of COVID-19  found  in  China  in  the  40  days  between first  recognition  of  the  outbreak  of  pneumonia  with unknown etiology on December 31, 2019 to the end of the study period on February 11, 2020 is that this novel  coronavirus  is  highly  contagious.  It  has  spread extremely  rapidly  from  a  single  city  to  the  entire country  within  only  about  30  days.  Moreover,  it  has achieved  such  far-reaching  effects  even  in  the  face  of extreme  response  measures  including  the  complete shutdown and isolation of whole cities, cancellation of Chinese  New  Year  celebrations,  prohibition  of attendance at school and work, massive mobilization of health  and  public  health  personnel  as  well  as  military medical  units,  and  rapid  construction  of  entire hospitals. In  light  of  this  rapid  spread,  it  is  fortunate  that COVID-19 has been mild for 81% of patients and has a very low overall case fatality rate of 2.3%. Among the 1,023  deaths,  a  majority  have  been ≥60  years  of  age and/or  have  had  pre-existing,  comorbid  conditions such  as  hypertension,  cardiovascular  disease,  and diabetes.  Moreover,  the  case  fatality  rate  is unsurprisingly highest among critical cases at 49%, and no  deaths  have  occurred  among  those  with  mild  or even severe symptoms (Table 1). A  major  contribution  of  our  study  is  a  first description  of  the  COVID-19  epidemic  curves.  We interpret  the  overall  curve  (Figure 3A)  as  having  a mixed outbreak pattern—the data appear to indicate a continuous  common  source  pattern  of  spread  in December  and  then  from  early  January  through February  11,  2020,  the  data  appear  to  have  a propagated  source  pattern.  This  mixed  outbreak  time trend  is  consistent  with  the  working  theory  that perhaps  several  zoonotic  events  occurred  at  Huanan Seafood  Wholesale  Market  in  Wuhan  allowed  2019- nCoV to be transmitted from a still-unknown animal into  humans  and,  due  to  its  high  mutation  and recombination  rates,  it  adapted  to  become  capable  of and  then  increasingly  efficient  at  human-to-human transmission (3,8).

If that is true, it has made its rounds in Europe already - it begs the question if the relentless testing is a good idea, then, because it's an empty parameter, or it is at least soon. At least I hope it's true and the completely ridiculous 18-moth quarantine ideas are out of the equation.

51 minutes ago, Quintus said:

That fantastic Mediterranean diet, rich in olive oil, came back to bite Italy's famously large aged population on the arse.

Thank you very much for this precious insight and sympathetic comment on our current situation (we will surpass 5000 deaths today). You have written several ignorant and cynical comments in this thread, but this one is also offensive and racist. And, needless to say, based on nothing. Look at any table on life expectancy by country and judge by yourself the worth of your stereotypes. Nobody needs nonsense right now.  

Eh? The rest of world has always admired the aged Italian population there. In fact it's something we should all strive to be like, looking after ourselves and having a healthy attitude towards our diet. You're being ridiculous in your assumptions.

But none of that detracts from the fact that this disease has been particularly punishing in Italy: likely in no small part to that otherwise illustriously large contingent of the Italian populace. I'm sorry if this stark reality is difficult to hear coming from a foreigner.

However, feel free if you must to continue to misinterpret my commentary during your extremely trying time in Italy. I appreciate that you're feeling very sensitive at the moment, justifiably so. But I also literally couldn't give two fucks what you think about me. Right?

28 minutes ago, Score said:

You have written several ignorant and cynical comments in this thread, but this one is also offensive and racist. And, needless to say, based on nothing. 

One factor affecting the country's death rate may be the age of its population — Italy has the oldest population in Europe, with about 23% of residents 65 or older, according to The New York Times. The median age in the country is 47.3, compared with 38.3 in the United States

https://www.livescience.com/why-italy-coronavirus-deaths-so-high.html

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

The above sentence is not the same (neither in content, nor in tone) as saying that we had many casualties because we have many old people.   

You obviously don't know anything about my dry and uncompromising style of communication here at JWFan and that it has consistently been this way for the best part of fifteen years. Who are you again anyway? Never mind, I'm not really interested in knowing. Stay safe nonetheless.

"Hey that guy said my people have a great diet and live an enviable long life, what a despicable racist!"

LOL what a fucking baby.

36 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Hmm, right

20200322_231649.jpg

Yeah, I'm expecting the UK to go on a full lockdown here too this week. Really hoping to avoid the Italy scenario, it must be pretty terrible for them by now, but anything can happen and probably will. Thankfully we have what we need at home, at least for now.

Of all the internet inspo memes and instagram pseudo-philosophy, driven by people who don't know what to do in isolation, this one actually really got to me....

If anyone needed some reaffirmation about the power of art in times of crisis and divide, this is the one to do it! Sometimes Toronto makes magic.

Oh, and paging @Disco Stu!

2 hours ago, KK said:

Of all the internet inspo memes and instagram pseudo-philosophy, driven by people who don't know what to do in isolation, this one actually really got to me....

If anyone needed some reaffirmation about the power of art in times of crisis and divide, this is the one to do it! Sometimes Toronto makes magic.

Oh, and paging @Disco Stu!

My dear @KK, you are talking to a professional. ;) 

Screenshot 2020-03-22 at 15.16.35.png

JWFan scientists: how long do you estimate this quarantine needs to last? Sure, it may (or may not) been useful for containing the virus so far, but psycologically, socially and economically, it simply isn't a long term strategy. I mean, so now everyone is gonna be kept inside their houses forever? Or until years have past and scientists are able to develop a vaccine? 

And what about homeless people? Will they be left to die of COVID-19? And those who depend of the outdoors to earn their living and mantain the economy functioning? Everyone will just die of boredom binging Netflix shows and working home office until a vaccine is ready?

It may be sustainable for, at most, a month. But not until they're ready to immunize large segments of the population.

More important (for the government): the economy needs to be moving again.

That said, in a time on which children are hardly playing on the outside and prefer watching YouTubers, or on which people are more likely to stay home watching Netflix instead of going outdoors, I just hope this quarantine period leads people to value more what is outside their comfortable homes.

Now that everything is closed, Australia's federal unemployment service Centrelink has been inundated with new claims at such unprecedented levels, its online application systems crashed, and those without the Customer Reference Number have been forced to queue up outside, with lines clogging up footpaths and shopfronts for up to a kilometre. As a result, jobseekers will need to meet their jobseeking obligations online. Even though the job market is now effectively dead – how this will go down is unimaginable.

Meanwhile, this has happened in Sydney: